Trump pardons: 100 more to go (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 12:43:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump pardons: 100 more to go (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Trump pardons: 100 more to go  (Read 5814 times)
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« on: January 18, 2021, 11:40:29 AM »

Really worried about this for three reasons:

1) The shear number makes me worry that the seditionists who have been arrested will be pardoned.  I mean, how else do you hit over 100 pardons.  I don’t even have words for how bad that would be for our country on every conceivable level.  

2) I worry Trump will pardon some genuinely dangerous people who really need to be locked up for as long as possible such as Julian Assange, Robert Hanssen, Edward Snowden, Ross Ulbricht, R. Kelly, George Nader, etc just out of Matt Bevin-style spite/to distract from Biden’s inauguration.  

3) I worry he’ll pardon a lot of horrible white collar criminals like Martin Shkreli, Andy Fastow, Bernie Madoff, etc and Trumpists like Giuliani, Bannon, etc because he thinks they’ll be able to fundraise for or  provide political assistance to him in the future.  

This whole quid-pro-quo pardon business is the sort of norm-shattering that could easily do irreparable longterm damage by turning pardons into a 100% political/transactional process that Presidents get comfortable abusing in truly dangerous ways.  It’s already been abused every now and then, but this is something else.  
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 01:33:48 PM »

Really worried about this for three reasons:

1) The shear number makes me worry that the seditionists who have been arrested will be pardoned.  I mean, how else do you hit over 100 pardons.  I don’t even have words for how bad that would be for our country on every conceivable level.  

2) I worry Trump will pardon some genuinely dangerous people who really need to be locked up for as long as possible such as Julian Assange, Robert Hanssen, Edward Snowden, Ross Ulbricht, R. Kelly, George Nader, etc just out of Matt Bevin-style spite/to distract from Biden’s inauguration.  

3) I worry he’ll pardon a lot of horrible white collar criminals like Martin Shkreli, Andy Fastow, Bernie Madoff, etc and Trumpists like Giuliani, Bannon, etc because he thinks they’ll be able to fundraise for or  provide political assistance to him in the future.  

This whole quid-pro-quo pardon business is the sort of norm-shattering that could easily do irreparable longterm damage by turning pardons into a 100% political/transactional process that Presidents get comfortable abusing in truly dangerous ways.  It’s already been abused every now and then, but this is something else.  

Couldn't agree more with every word.

For those Capitol rioters he may indeed pardon, is there any conceivable way that DC could prosecute "state"-level charges for such actions committed at the federal Capitol building?

I don't think so. States could charge them to the extent they plotted their crimes outside of DC. I don't see why Trump would do this however. It would drastically increase the odds of his conviction. His on and on again good friend Lindsay Graham says such pardons would "destroy" Trump. So what is in it for Trump?

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/verify/can-trump-pardon-the-mob-and-rioters-capitol-building-riots-how-much-was-damaged-in-the-capitol-rights/65-f3d17a19-f021-4af5-ad5c-f217c01a5f77

Giving Biden the finger and making his “fans” happy?
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 06:50:27 PM »

We’ll see
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 02:03:09 AM »

Bannon, Lil Wayne, and Kodak Black are the only ones I recognized.

Sholam Weiss, who was given the longest white-collar criminal sentence in U.S. history (835 years), has been commuted to time served after 19 years in prison, as has Kwame Kilpatrick, the former Mayor of Detroit sentenced to 28 years in federal prison for corruption back in 2013.

Paul Erickson, Eliott Broidy, Rick Renzi, and Randy Cunningham were also pardoned.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies