Trump pardons: 100 more to go
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 29, 2024, 10:33:25 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Trump pardons: 100 more to go
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5
Author Topic: Trump pardons: 100 more to go  (Read 5745 times)
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 18, 2021, 09:34:17 AM »
« edited: January 18, 2021, 10:32:04 AM by Torie »

We find out tomorrow who they are. Stay tuned.

https://thehill.com/homenews/administration/534670-trump-preparing-another-100-pardons-commutations-before-leaving

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2021, 09:39:54 AM »

I bet it's his family and himself, although I heard reporting he's not doing it because it would be an admission of guilt.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2021, 09:53:39 AM »

S.O.P. for Presidents on their way out of the door.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2021, 10:00:10 AM »

Come off at Grumps. You know the scope and self-serving nature of Trump's pardon is going to dwarf historical precedent. Even Clinton's out the door pardons, which were one of the blackest marks on his administration, is going to pale in comparison. I defy you to compare the wholesale Donnie's pardon shop being open up for cash compared to Obama's far more high-minded attempts at mitigating and commuting sentences he felt were wrong.

I know you're a trumpist, but you're better than this to just go to fuzzy bear levels of denying reality.
Illiniwek
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2021, 10:01:49 AM »

I bet it's his family and himself, although I heard reporting he's not doing it because it would be an admission of guilt.

Lol he would be the stupidest person in the world not to pardon himself if he’s worried about admitting guilt. By God, we have a chance don’t we?
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2021, 10:10:59 AM »

Come off at Grumps. You know the scope and self-serving nature of Trump's pardon is going to dwarf historical precedent. Even Clinton's out the door pardons, which were one of the blackest marks on his administration, is going to pale in comparison. I defy you to compare the wholesale Donnie's pardon shop being open up for cash compared to Obama's far more high-minded attempts at mitigating and commuting sentences he felt were wrong.

I know you're a trumpist, but you're better than this to just go to fuzzy bear levels of denying reality.

I'll reply when the pardon/commutation list is announced. 
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2021, 10:32:12 AM »

I wonder which mass murderer he'll pardon this time. (Sadly not joking or using hyperbole)
Rand
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2021, 11:11:23 AM »

😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2021, 11:26:33 AM »

This is why he had to be impeached already
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2021, 11:33:01 AM »

I've said it before, but it wouldn't surprise me if he pardoned Eric Rudolph.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2021, 11:40:29 AM »

Really worried about this for three reasons:

1) The shear number makes me worry that the seditionists who have been arrested will be pardoned.  I mean, how else do you hit over 100 pardons.  I don’t even have words for how bad that would be for our country on every conceivable level.  

2) I worry Trump will pardon some genuinely dangerous people who really need to be locked up for as long as possible such as Julian Assange, Robert Hanssen, Edward Snowden, Ross Ulbricht, R. Kelly, George Nader, etc just out of Matt Bevin-style spite/to distract from Biden’s inauguration.  

3) I worry he’ll pardon a lot of horrible white collar criminals like Martin Shkreli, Andy Fastow, Bernie Madoff, etc and Trumpists like Giuliani, Bannon, etc because he thinks they’ll be able to fundraise for or  provide political assistance to him in the future.  

This whole quid-pro-quo pardon business is the sort of norm-shattering that could easily do irreparable longterm damage by turning pardons into a 100% political/transactional process that Presidents get comfortable abusing in truly dangerous ways.  It’s already been abused every now and then, but this is something else.  
Helsinkian
Finland

« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2021, 12:03:16 PM »

1) The shear number makes me worry that the seditionists who have been arrested will be pardoned.  I mean, how else do you hit over 100 pardons.  I don’t even have words for how bad that would be for our country on every conceivable level.

The MAGA folks online have been claiming that the rioters were Antifa activists doing a false flag to discredit Trumpers. So I wonder how they would react to Trump pardoning people that they have labelled as Antifa?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2021, 12:44:27 PM »

In CNN's story yesterday it says the list "includes white collar criminals, high-profile rappers and others but -- as of now -- is not expected to include Trump himself."
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #13 on: January 18, 2021, 12:49:15 PM »

In CNN's story yesterday it says the list "includes white collar criminals, high-profile rappers and others but -- as of now -- is not expected to include Trump himself."

Lil Wayne & Kodak Black, I presume.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 18, 2021, 01:08:45 PM »

2) I worry Trump will pardon some genuinely dangerous people who really need to be locked up for as long as possible such as Julian Assange, Robert Hanssen, Edward Snowden, Ross Ulbricht, R. Kelly, George Nader, etc just out of Matt Bevin-style spite/to distract from Biden’s inauguration.  

3) I worry he’ll pardon a lot of horrible white collar criminals like Martin Shkreli, Andy Fastow, Bernie Madoff, etc and Trumpists like Giuliani, Bannon, etc because he thinks they’ll be able to fundraise for or  provide political assistance to him in the future.  

This whole quid-pro-quo pardon business is the sort of norm-shattering that could easily do irreparable longterm damage by turning pardons into a 100% political/transactional process that Presidents get comfortable abusing in truly dangerous ways.  It’s already been abused every now and then, but this is something else.  

Couldn't agree more with every word.

For those Capitol rioters he may indeed pardon, is there any conceivable way that DC could prosecute "state"-level charges for such actions committed at the federal Capitol building?
Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #15 on: January 18, 2021, 01:30:09 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2021, 05:11:18 PM by Torie »

For those Capitol rioters he may indeed pardon, is there any conceivable way that DC could prosecute "state"-level charges for such actions committed at the federal Capitol building?

I don't think so. States could charge them to the extent they plotted their crimes outside of DC. I don't see why Trump would do this however. It would drastically increase the odds of his conviction. His off and on again good friend Lindsay Graham says such pardons would "destroy" Trump. So what is in it for Trump?

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/verify/can-trump-pardon-the-mob-and-rioters-capitol-building-riots-how-much-was-damaged-in-the-capitol-rights/65-f3d17a19-f021-4af5-ad5c-f217c01a5f77
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 18, 2021, 01:33:48 PM »

I don't think so. States could charge them to the extent they plotted their crimes outside of DC. I don't see why Trump would do this however. It would drastically increase the odds of his conviction. His on and on again good friend Lindsay Graham says such pardons would "destroy" Trump. So what is in it for Trump?

https://www.wusa9.com/article/news/verify/can-trump-pardon-the-mob-and-rioters-capitol-building-riots-how-much-was-damaged-in-the-capitol-rights/65-f3d17a19-f021-4af5-ad5c-f217c01a5f77

Giving Biden the finger and making his “fans” happy?
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #17 on: January 18, 2021, 04:36:23 PM »

Clinton pardoned over 100 people on his last day in office.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 18, 2021, 05:06:12 PM »

Basically giving the power to the President to make unconstitutional decisions by allowing him to pardon the agents of the action between the time they have been ruled unconstitutional and the time that he leaves office.

The good thing about this is if he does pardon the insurrection, it is basically an admission that they broke the law and with them publicly upset that they still went to jail under his direction, it will basically be a slam dunk case for his conviction by the senate or any criminal tribunal.
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #19 on: January 18, 2021, 05:09:54 PM »
« Edited: January 18, 2021, 05:33:39 PM by 46 hours »

The number of arrests of Capitol rioters is at like 400 now, so if it's only 100 then it won't include them. I'm sure this is just a standard batch of cronies along with a few people actually deserving of it thrown in as a 0.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #20 on: January 18, 2021, 05:31:17 PM »

The number of arrests of Capitol rioters is like at 400 now, so if it's only 100 then it won't include them. I'm sure this is just a standard batch of cronies along with a few people actually deserving of it thrown in as a 0.

Unless it were to be a blanket pardon, of course.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #21 on: January 18, 2021, 05:40:15 PM »

Honestly, a constitutional amendment should be passed to strip the President of his/her pardon powers. It is a bizarre, monarch-style power which has the potential to cause a lot more harm than good. Or at the very least, pardons should have to be approved by a commission of legal experts.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #22 on: January 18, 2021, 05:44:47 PM »

He's going the pardon the terrorists. Congress is too slow to stop it.
compucomp

« Reply #23 on: January 18, 2021, 05:47:08 PM »

The number of arrests of Capitol rioters is like at 400 now, so if it's only 100 then it won't include them. I'm sure this is just a standard batch of cronies along with a few people actually deserving of it thrown in as a 0.

Unless it were to be a blanket pardon, of course.

I don't think "blanket pardons" are legal. Haven't there been several cases around legality of using an autopen for mass pardons, which of course would not be necessary if one could issue a blanket pardon?
they don't love you like i love you
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #24 on: January 18, 2021, 05:48:24 PM »

I highly doubt he'll pardon anyone involved in the Capitol insurrection because it would be a bad look while he tries to argue in the impeachment trial and possibly future criminal and civil trials that he didn't endorse the insurrection. Trump would gain nothing from it and he only gives a sh!t about what benefits himself.
Pages: [1] 2 3 4 5  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies