Joe Biden presidential inauguration megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 10, 2024, 01:19:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Joe Biden presidential inauguration megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22
Author Topic: Joe Biden presidential inauguration megathread  (Read 20817 times)
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #50 on: January 18, 2021, 10:09:23 PM »

If AF1 is still in the air when Biden is sworn in, He should order it to turn around just for giggles.

The idea is that Trump will be at Mar-a-Lago before noon on Wednesday. That way he gets all the perks of being President during his trip home. 
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #51 on: January 19, 2021, 09:42:50 AM »

Just woke up and can't believe this is the last full say of the failed Trump presidency. In just 26 hours this error is finally over.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #52 on: January 19, 2021, 10:50:59 AM »

Torie
Moderators
Atlas Legend
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #53 on: January 19, 2021, 10:55:13 AM »

As I recall, Nixon's term ended while in flight on the Presidential jet to his San Clemente residence, and he was sent a bill for the cost of the flight attributable to the period he was in the air after he ceased being President.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #54 on: January 19, 2021, 11:05:34 AM »
« Edited: January 19, 2021, 11:10:44 AM by Sir Mohamed »

As I recall, Nixon's term ended while in flight on the Presidential jet to his San Clemente residence, and he was sent a bill for the cost of the flight attributable to the period he was in the air after he ceased being President.

I'm not aware he was sent a bill, but he ceased to be prez while in the air.

I wonder how this practially works with Trump being in Mar-A-Lago. Will some of his staff and military aide leave town at 12 pm? Up to that point, he still has the commanding power over armed forces and the nulcear codes. I assume he keeps latter, but these are worthless at 12 pm and Biden gets new codes.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #55 on: January 19, 2021, 11:09:17 AM »

I wonder how this practially works with Trump being in Mar-A-Lago. Will some of his staff and military aide leave town at 12 am? Up to that point, he still has the commanding power over armed forces and the nulcear codes. I assume he keeps latter, but these are worthless at 12 am and Biden gets new codes.

*12pm, but you've got the gist of it: Trump will lose all power at 12pm, & the military aide will fly back to DC the same day:

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #56 on: January 19, 2021, 11:14:03 AM »

I wonder how this practially works with Trump being in Mar-A-Lago. Will some of his staff and military aide leave town at 12 am? Up to that point, he still has the commanding power over armed forces and the nulcear codes. I assume he keeps latter, but these are worthless at 12 am and Biden gets new codes.

*12pm, but you've got the gist of it: Trump will lose all power at 12pm, & the military aide will fly back to DC the same day:

Interesting.

That will also be the moment the WH website will be "frozen" and the domain moved to trumpwhitehouse.gov while wh.gov will be Biden's website. I would assume they move the transition website over. If my memory is correct, Trump used Obama's WH design in the first months before changing to the current.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #57 on: January 19, 2021, 12:01:07 PM »

Ladies & gentlemen, Joe Biden will be President of the United States in less than 24 hours.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #58 on: January 19, 2021, 12:12:01 PM »

Ladies & gentlemen, Joe Biden will be President of the United States in less than 24 hours.

The long awaited end to our national nightmare is soon upon us.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #59 on: January 19, 2021, 12:25:16 PM »

Jon Ossoff, Raphael Warnock and Alex Padilla to be sworn into the Senate on Wednesday

Senators-elect Jon Ossoff, Raphael Warnock and Alex Padilla will be sworn in Wednesday in the "late afternoon" by incoming Vice President Kamala Harris, according to two sources familiar with the plan.

Ossoff and Warnock won their Senate runoff elections in Georgia on Jan. 5 and California Gov. Gavin Newsom appointed Padilla to fill Harris' seat, which she resigned from on Monday.

Once Harris and the three senator are sworn in, the Senate will be divided 50-50, but Democrats will hold the majority because Harris will be able to cast tie-breaking votes as vice president.

Senate leaders Mitch McConnell, R-Ky., and Chuck Schumer, D-N.Y., are working on a power-sharing agreement for a 50-50 Senate, according to a source familiar with the process. The deal would determine how the Senate and committees operate in an evenly divided Senate.

The two are expected to talk Tuesday about that as well as Trump's upcoming impeachment trial, confirmation hearings for Biden nominees and coronavirus relief.

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/2020-election/live-blog/2021-01-19-biden-inauguration-n1254610/ncrd1254656
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #60 on: January 19, 2021, 02:41:06 PM »

I wonder how Uncle Joe is feeling now. He has been waiting for this for 50 years. Anyway, I can't wait for him to take over.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #61 on: January 19, 2021, 03:01:30 PM »

The Bidens are flying a private plane to Washington, marking another break in protocol.
From CNN's Jeff Zeleny

President-elect Joe Biden will fly to Washington today on a private aircraft, yet another change in protocol on the eve of his inauguration.

CNN’s Peter Morris spotted two Sun Country aircraft at the Delaware National Guard airfield, where Biden is scheduled to depart

A person familiar with the matter confirmed to CNN that Biden was not taking a US government plane to Joint Base Andrews for the first stop of his inauguration festivities.

"He’s flying private," the source said, declining to say whether the government did not offer Biden a plane.

A second source familiar with the matter said the government did not offer the Bidens a plane, but did not have details.

The last sentence is disturbing, if true.
Why would they not offer Biden a secure, government plane?
Could trump's people really be this horrible?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #62 on: January 19, 2021, 03:05:04 PM »

Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #63 on: January 19, 2021, 03:41:24 PM »

Grassley loses the position once Harris is sworn in as VP.

I don't think that's right.  He *will* lose his position in the coming days, but I don't think that happens the instant the majority party in the Senate changes.  A new prez pro temp would have to be voted in whenever the Senate next meets, in order for Grassley to lose the position.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #64 on: January 19, 2021, 04:22:19 PM »

H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #65 on: January 19, 2021, 04:38:20 PM »

This is such a bad speech.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #66 on: January 19, 2021, 05:09:56 PM »

4 years of hell and 400,000 deaths later, safe to say this take aged like milk:

Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #67 on: January 19, 2021, 05:20:15 PM »

4 years of hell and 400,000 deaths later, safe to say this take aged like milk:

To her credit, she admitted she was wrong: https://www.washingtonpost.com/opinions/i-was-wrong-about-trump-he-won-and-he-broke-us/2020/12/11/9bd2ecf0-3bf4-11eb-98c4-25dc9f4987e8_story.html
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #68 on: January 19, 2021, 05:58:58 PM »

This is so moving. You'd really like to give him a big hug.

Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #69 on: January 19, 2021, 06:32:52 PM »

Biden arrived at Blair House ~20 min ago. This is HAPPENING!!!! I can hardly believe it.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #70 on: January 19, 2021, 06:48:45 PM »

The long awaited end to our national nightmare is soon upon us.

To quote Churchill, this is only the end of the beginning. The damage Trump has done won't end with his presidency and we likely haven't reached the worst of it's effects.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #71 on: January 19, 2021, 07:27:12 PM »

Country music fans are taking the news of Garth Brooks and Tim McGraw playing at the inauguration really well:

Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #72 on: January 19, 2021, 09:33:00 PM »
« Edited: January 19, 2021, 10:53:27 PM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

A second source familiar with the matter said the government did not offer the Bidens a plane, but did not have details.

The last sentence is disturbing, if true.
Why would they not offer Biden a secure, government plane?
Could trump's people really be this horrible?

You're asking this now? 99.95% into his presidency? When he attempted a siege on Congress instead of giving any semblance of a transition?
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #73 on: January 19, 2021, 09:50:29 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2021, 09:46:18 AM by Badger »

This is so moving. You'd really like to give him a big hug.

I have toned down mightily a response to this which would have likely given the mods conniptions. I will simply summarize that after anyone watches This Thread, if somehow you inconceivably still believe Donald Trump should be present instead of this man, you are frankly either an ignoramus, or just one plain sorry SOB.

I don't care if your reason is ideological, personal, or just plain mental infirmity / illness. If you can't be convinced after watching this that Joe Biden is clearly the better man to be president then Trump, I have zero interest in trying to appeal to your hearts or Minds, because you clearly have neither.

There, I said it.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #74 on: January 19, 2021, 10:06:54 PM »

I will be slightly disappointed if Biden doesn’t start his speech with “My fellow Americans, our long national nightmare is over.”

I mean I know he’s not going to, but I will still be disappointed.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5 6 7 8 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies