Joe Biden presidential inauguration megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 09:48:59 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Joe Biden presidential inauguration megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22
Author Topic: Joe Biden presidential inauguration megathread  (Read 19590 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 16, 2021, 09:51:03 PM »

Do we know who the Designated Survivor will be? Last time it was Orrin Hatch as prez pro tem, but Grassley loses the position once Harris is sworn in as VP. In 2009, it was  Robert Gates as Defense secretary, whom Obama retained from W. This time, Nancy Pelosi would make most sense.

I would assume this isn't announced in advance.

Although announcing Pelosi would become President in the event of an attack would help dissuade pretty much all would-be attackers.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #26 on: January 16, 2021, 11:05:16 PM »

Do we know who the Designated Survivor will be? Last time it was Orrin Hatch as prez pro tem, but Grassley loses the position once Harris is sworn in as VP. In 2009, it was  Robert Gates as Defense secretary, whom Obama retained from W. This time, Nancy Pelosi would make most sense.

Although announcing Pelosi would become President in the event of an attack would help dissuade pretty much all would-be attackers.

Some of these people think that preventing Biden's swearing-in will result in Trump becoming the 19th President of the United States because it would somehow nullify the terms of a top-secret 19th-century political conspiracy. Reminding them of Pelosi's place in the line of succession ahead of time would do nothing when they're already that crazy.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: January 16, 2021, 11:53:06 PM »

Honestly, they should put some sort of glass box around Joe Biden. If they don't take extra precautions very seriously, I think the chance someone tries to shoot Joe Biden in his first 100 days or so is quite high
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 16, 2021, 11:56:50 PM »

Honestly, they should put some sort of glass box around Joe Biden. If they don't take extra precautions very seriously, I think the chance someone tries to shoot Joe Biden in his first 100 days or so is quite high

Uh, if anything, they're going overboard on protections. Downtown DC and the mall is probably the most secure place on earth right now. I'm really not too concerned.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: January 16, 2021, 11:59:36 PM »

Uh, if anything, they're going overboard on protections. Downtown DC and the mall is probably the most secure place on earth right now. I'm really not too concerned.

I hope you're right, I always worry about this sort of stuff too much.

Overall though, Biden should try to avoid situations where he's out in the open as much as possible during his first 100 days because I think there's a pretty decent chance he's shot. I worry that somehow something stupid will happen where some Trump loyalists will shoot some Democratic Senator from a red state and a Republican replaces them and we lose the Senate.
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #30 on: January 17, 2021, 12:01:25 AM »

Overall though, Biden should try to avoid situations where he's out in the open as much as possible during his first 100 days because I think there's a pretty decent chance he's shot. I worry that somehow something stupid will happen where some Trump loyalists will shoot some Democratic Senator from a red state and a Republican replaces them and we lose the Senate.

Joe Manchin, Jon Tester, and Sherrod Brown shouldn't leave DC then, but these people are honestly stupid, I doubt half of them even know what the Senate is.
ProgressiveModerate
Atlas Icon

« Reply #31 on: January 17, 2021, 12:03:23 AM »

Joe Manchin, Jon Tester, and Sherrod Brown shouldn't leave DC then, but these people are honestly stupid, I doubt half of them even know what the Senate is.

I mean we've already seen a lot of lower key Representatives get attacked in airports and plus Joe Manchin, Jon Tester, and Sherrod Brown will likely get a lot of media now that Ds have the Senate, especially Manchin. All it takes is for one of them to recognize who a Senator is.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #32 on: January 17, 2021, 06:52:04 AM »

Do we know who the Designated Survivor will be? Last time it was Orrin Hatch as prez pro tem, but Grassley loses the position once Harris is sworn in as VP. In 2009, it was  Robert Gates as Defense secretary, whom Obama retained from W. This time, Nancy Pelosi would make most sense.

Some of these people think that preventing Biden's swearing-in will result in Trump becoming the 19th President of the United States because it would somehow nullify the terms of a top-secret 19th-century political conspiracy. Reminding them of Pelosi's place in the line of succession ahead of time would do nothing when they're already that crazy.

That's a new one...

Wait. Rutherford B. Hayes was the 19th President. Does that mean these guys thing the rest of us don't know about the Compromise of 1877? That's one of the few distinguishing things about Hayes' presidency.

Do they really think the end of Reconstruction wasn't public knowledge? Or have they taped another conspiracy on top?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #33 on: January 17, 2021, 11:58:39 AM »

That's a new one...

Wait. Rutherford B. Hayes was the 19th President. Does that mean these guys thing the rest of us don't know about the Compromise of 1877? That's one of the few distinguishing things about Hayes' presidency.

Do they really think the end of Reconstruction wasn't public knowledge? Or have they taped another conspiracy on top?

Here you go, don't say I didn't warn you:

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #34 on: January 17, 2021, 12:41:07 PM »

That's a new one...

Here you go, don't say I didn't warn you:

Wow.

That's a whole new level of crazy.

There's a lot I could get into here, from the whole 'vacant presidency' thing (wouldn't that have occured when Kennedy was shot, or Nixon resigned, two moments where the office was vacant for a period before the VP was sworn in), to the absolute lunacy of suggesting that London's mayor or city council has had secret control of the US for 150 years (for a start, we would have borrowed a lot more money to pay off our war debt in the 50s...).

Every time I think we've reached the bottom of the barrel, we just go deeper.

Thanks for sharing though - given the actual consequences of conspiracies like this (see the innocents terrorised in Comet Ping Pong, the Capitol etc), it feels important to keep an eye on these ramblings.
Clarence Boddicker

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -5.91

« Reply #35 on: January 17, 2021, 01:18:03 PM »

When is Biden gonna release the official portraits? I'm sure government workers are eager to change them out ASAP.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: January 17, 2021, 01:22:51 PM »

When is Biden gonna release the official portraits? I'm sure government workers are eager to change them out ASAP.

They might not have them yet, given COVID protocols. I know ACB still hasn't gotten an official portrait from the Court, for example, & she's been there for nearly 3 months now.
MichaelRbn
Rookie
United States
« Reply #37 on: January 17, 2021, 01:40:44 PM »

As a former Federal civil servant I can assure you that regardless when Biden’s official portrait is available, Trumps will be gone on January 20.
2952-0-0
exnaderite
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: January 17, 2021, 04:04:41 PM »

The whole notion of the president having a portrait in government offices sounds creepy. It's as if to tell staff that they work for the president personally, and not for the government as an institution.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #39 on: January 17, 2021, 08:45:38 PM »

Second gentleman has a good walk-on song. I'm a little impressed. (New Radicals - "Get What You Give")

KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #40 on: January 17, 2021, 08:48:18 PM »
« Edited: January 17, 2021, 09:06:59 PM by KaiserDave »

They might not have them yet, given COVID protocols. I know ACB still hasn't gotten an official portrait from the Court, for example, & she's been there for nearly 3 months now.

Congress got their portraits
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: January 17, 2021, 08:55:39 PM »

Congress got there portraits

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #42 on: January 17, 2021, 09:39:36 PM »

CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #43 on: January 17, 2021, 09:39:54 PM »

*Tyra Banks voice* How many people were scared? .... yeah me too.
Splash
United States

« Reply #44 on: January 17, 2021, 10:00:20 PM »

Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #45 on: January 18, 2021, 07:31:05 PM »

Trump is upset that celebrities that shunned his inauguration are set to appear/perform at Biden's.

Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #46 on: January 18, 2021, 07:41:18 PM »

It's a real f***ed up testament to what Trump and the right has turned our country into that such an inoffensive, conventional President-elect like Joe Biden needs to be protected by 20,000 National Guard troops at his inauguration.

What am I looking forward to? Trump no longer being President, of course, and instead having a competent, qualified, sane, adult President who actually takes his Oath of Office seriously and cares about people other than himself.

Still though, I was eagerly looking forward to inauguration day but am now a bit uneasy about it after the Capitol riots. I really hope nothing goes wrong and that preparations are in better shape. I don't want it to get ugly and overshadow what a hopeful moment this should be.

Also Fall Out Boy sucks. I'm a little disappointed. That doesn't mean that the acts Joy Gray brought up are much better. I mean, Emily Ratajkowski and Cornel West? Though I do have a guilty pleasure soft spot for Ariana Grande, and find Dua Lipa quite enjoyable to look at.

Side note: I always hate to admit when I enjoy a pop song, but I heard "Don't Start Now" for the first time a few days ago and I think I have to include her on my guilty pleasure musician list now for reasons beyond the superficial.

Also the musician lineup has improved since I've discovered more acts that are going to perform. Bruce Springsteen? I mean come on! I'm less of a fan of his compared to the average New Jersey resident but still, he's our guy and I'm always happy to see him perform.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #47 on: January 18, 2021, 09:11:41 PM »

Trump is upset that celebrities that shunned his inauguration are set to appear/perform at Biden's.

It's not surprising that he would be so petty. But then again, why would Trump have expected them to perform at his inauguration? Most celebrities are staunch liberal Democrats, and directly opposed to his administration and its policies, to say nothing of his character issues.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: January 18, 2021, 09:14:22 PM »

https://twitter.com/marycjordan/status/1351323845643431939?s=20

It's not surprising that he would be so petty. But then again, why would Trump have expected them to perform at his inauguration? Most celebrities are staunch liberal Democrats, and directly opposed to his administration and its policies, to say nothing of his character issues.

Because Donald "I'm the President of the United States, you can't talk to me like that" Trump believes that the masses should revere him by virtue of his position alone.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #49 on: January 18, 2021, 10:01:25 PM »

If AF1 is still in the air when Biden is sworn in, He should order it to turn around just for giggles.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5 6 7 ... 22  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies