S.20.4.16: Southern Recycling Act (Law'd)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:09:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government
  Regional Governments (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  S.20.4.16: Southern Recycling Act (Law'd)
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: S.20.4.16: Southern Recycling Act (Law'd)  (Read 482 times)
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: -0.26, S: -4.52

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2021, 10:06:59 PM »
« edited: February 06, 2021, 09:56:16 PM by tmthforu94 »

Southern Recycling Act
1. In the Southern Region, the following items or groups of items may be redeemed at retail stores in return for eight cents each: one paper bag; one soda can; and four plastic bags.
2. All items thus redeemed for money has to, whenever possible, find itself reused in the making of a product.
3. Retailers can ask the Southern Region to cover the entirety of their costs under this Act.
4. This Act shall take effect on September 1, 2021.

Sponsor: Governor TimTurner

Minimum 48 hours for debate, the sponsor is invited to advocate for the bil.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 09:08:26 AM »

I think this would be a good measure for the environment. It a) would avoid items being recycled ending up in landfill to the greatest extent such workable (it happens more often than you might think), b) create more of a incentive for people to recycle generally, and c) encourage more reuse of material in general. I added in the provision to allow retailers to seek compensation in order to avoid any chance of upwards pressure on prices or on retailers' finances.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 19, 2021, 07:50:51 PM »

I have some concerns on the financial cost of this - retail stores is quite a broad term. Between the potential need to hire new employees to handle this, the collection and storage, and then transporting it to the recycling centers, it seems like it is creating a lot of work. How about just having people bring their recycled goods directly to recycling centers and we help subsidize the cost for recycling centers to operate and make these payments?
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2021, 06:28:58 PM »
« Edited: January 20, 2021, 06:33:31 PM by Southern Governor Punxsutawney Phil »

I have some concerns on the financial cost of this - retail stores is quite a broad term. Between the potential need to hire new employees to handle this, the collection and storage, and then transporting it to the recycling centers, it seems like it is creating a lot of work. How about just having people bring their recycled goods directly to recycling centers and we help subsidize the cost for recycling centers to operate and make these payments?
What if the money that this program would cost overall, would be subject to a yearly cap? As in, it cannot cost more than x amount of money.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 10:10:31 PM »

What if the money that this program would cost overall, would be subject to a yearly cap? As in, it cannot cost more than x amount of money.
But still charge all retail stores to be responsible for handling this? What happens if the funds run out mid-year, do they just stop the program? I know Vermont and a couple other states have a program like this set up, I would be curious to see how they operate and fund it.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 22, 2021, 07:19:59 AM »

But still charge all retail stores to be responsible for handling this? What happens if the funds run out mid-year, do they just stop the program? I know Vermont and a couple other states have a program like this set up, I would be curious to see how they operate and fund it.
I drew up the text of this without seeing the specifics of Vermont's programs. Now that you mention it, I am curious how their programs work as well.
But I wouldn't be adverse to retailers not being part of the program altogether, and us creating special recycling centers to allow this to be properly enacted.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #6 on: January 25, 2021, 12:53:51 PM »

Offering an amendment. This solves the issue I see with requiring retailers, but picking up from Vermont's program, requires public places to offer recycling alongside trash services. I guessed on the cost, if anyone has a more accurate suggestion I'm open to it.

Southern Recycling Act
1. In the Southern Region, the following items or groups of items may be redeemed at retail stores recycling centers in return for eight cents each: one paper bag; one soda can; and four plastic bags.
2. All items thus redeemed for money has to, whenever possible, find itself reused in the making of a product.
3. Retailers can ask the Southern Region to cover the entirety of their costs under this Act.

3. The government shall subsidize the added cost to recycling centers by up to $250 million per year.
4. Trash collection services in the Southern Region are required to offer recycling with their trash service. They may only impose one fee for trash and recycling, not separate.
5. All public spaces, with the exception of bathrooms, shall be required to have a recycling bin present wherever there is a trash bin.

6. This Act shall take effect on September 1, 2021.

24 hours for objections.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #7 on: January 25, 2021, 01:08:33 PM »

I support this amendment as it's a little closer to how I would go about this kinda thing. No objections.
Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -7.22

P P P
« Reply #8 on: January 25, 2021, 08:22:04 PM »

Heck yes, let's save the planet!
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #9 on: January 26, 2021, 11:49:49 AM »

The amendment is adopted, debate resumes.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #10 on: January 26, 2021, 01:42:08 PM »

In order to get this done by the end of session, I'm calling for a final vote. 24 hours to object.
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2021, 06:58:52 PM »

This will proceed to a final vote, Delegates please vote AYE, NAY or ABSTAIN.

Aye
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2021, 07:02:38 PM »

Nay
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2021, 07:09:51 PM »

Aye
reagente
Atlas Politician
United States

Political Matrix
E: 5.10, S: 4.96

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2021, 07:16:15 PM »

nay
Harvey Updyke Jr🌹
jtsmd2
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.65, S: -7.22

P P P
« Reply #15 on: January 27, 2021, 07:16:26 PM »

Aye
tmthforu94
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix

P P P
« Reply #16 on: January 27, 2021, 07:20:07 PM »

Thank you all for voting quickly, record time! The bill passes 3-2 and will be presented to the Governor for signature.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 27, 2021, 10:57:50 PM »

Southern Recycling Act
1. In the Southern Region, the following items or groups of items may be redeemed at  recycling centers in return for eight cents each: one paper bag; one soda can; and four plastic bags.
3. The government shall subsidize the added cost to recycling centers by up to $250 million per year.
4. Trash collection services in the Southern Region are required to offer recycling with their trash service. They may only impose one fee for trash and recycling, not separate.
5. All public spaces, with the exception of bathrooms, shall be required to have a recycling bin present wherever there is a trash bin.
6. This Act shall take effect on September 1, 2021.

Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies