Who won the "Karen" vote?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 07:00:07 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Who won the "Karen" vote?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Who won the Karen vote?
Safe R

Likely R

Lean R

Tilt R

Toss-up

Tilt D

Lean D

Likely D

Safe D

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 98

Author Topic: Who won the "Karen" vote?  (Read 3247 times)
Ron DeSantis enthusiast
FranciscoM97

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2021, 09:06:17 PM »

Who won the middle age white woman "call the manager" vote?

I've think Trump won it but not by a large margin, lean R at best.
ChiefFireWaterMike
LordRichard

« Reply #1 on: January 15, 2021, 04:33:56 PM »

The thing is a lot of these women are #resistance wine mom's, so I feel like they went dem.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #2 on: January 15, 2021, 04:43:40 PM »

Trump won it narrowly, but Democrats did far better with them than in previous elections. They probably went something like 2 to 1 for Bush in 2004 for example.
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #3 on: January 15, 2021, 06:45:56 PM »

Wasn't there a NYTs/Siena breakdown and Karen was the most common female name for a democrat?

I'm gonna say democrats won them.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #4 on: January 15, 2021, 06:47:16 PM »

The remarkably flat distribution of poll responses goes to show that "Karen" really has lost all meaning and just become "woman I dislike"
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 15, 2021, 07:19:05 PM »

Wasn't there a NYTs/Siena breakdown and Karen was the most common female name for a democrat?

I'm gonna say democrats won them.

Literal Karens voted Democratic, but that’s distinct from the “Karen” stereotype/meme.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #6 on: January 15, 2021, 07:37:19 PM »

Shrews who refuse masks, vaccinations, And call the cops on black teens at the park.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #7 on: January 15, 2021, 07:40:45 PM »

Shrews who refuse masks, vaccinations, And call the cops on black teens at the park.

This is probably the first time ever I see the word "shrew" used unironically in the 21st century (and not in the animal sense)... as someone whose username is taken from the comedy The Taming Of The Shrew, I tip my hat.
Never Made it to Graceland
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #8 on: January 15, 2021, 07:46:22 PM »

This is probably the first time ever I see the word "shrew" used unironically in the 21st century (and not in the animal sense)... as someone whose username is taken from the comedy The Taming Of The Shrew, I tip my hat.

My friend and I started using it after we had to read that for 11th grade Honors English class. It's a nicer word than some of the alternatives.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #9 on: January 15, 2021, 08:40:36 PM »

My friend and I started using it after we had to read that for 11th grade Honors English class. It's a nicer word than some of the alternatives.

Oh, absolutely true. Wink
MoreThanPolitics
Rookie

Political Matrix
E: 1.50, S: 2.62

P P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #10 on: January 15, 2021, 10:53:26 PM »

Karens voted for Biden by 20 points. Safe D!

Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 15, 2021, 11:29:08 PM »

Probably Biden very narrowly.
Mr. Morden
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 15, 2021, 11:51:46 PM »

Aren't the Karen people mostly in Burma and Thailand?  I assume there aren't enough of them in the American electorate to matter one way or the other.
Lord Halifax
Papua New Guinea

« Reply #13 on: January 17, 2021, 03:08:25 AM »

Aren't the Karen people mostly in Burma and Thailand?  I assume there aren't enough of them in the American electorate to matter one way or the other.

More than 90% are Christians with Baptists and Seventh-day Adventists being the big groups and they're very devout and the church is the focus point of their communities (even Karen Buddhists go to church at times for that reason), so I guess they normally vote Republican. Generally the Burmese community in the US is very socially and culturally conservative and dominated by refugees from various traditional and devout religious minorities, but a lot of them also think Trump's style and demeanor reminds them of the Burmese generals and the regime they fled, and at least in 2016 that was a factor since Clinton was perceived to care about Burma and be knowledgable about it, not sure if the same applies to Biden. Anecdotally they also don't think Trump is a true Christian, but I only got that from one Karen guy. I could see a lot of ticket splitting with people voting for Biden, but GOP down ballot. Biden is pro-choice, but he's open and serious about his faith, knows about foreign policy/cares about human rights and other countries and Trump's demeanor is just at odds with Karen culture. On the other hand liberal American culture is completely alien to them and the riots could also have pushed some people towards Trump.
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #14 on: January 17, 2021, 05:07:09 AM »

Aren't the Karen people mostly in Burma and Thailand?  I assume there aren't enough of them in the American electorate to matter one way or the other.

I feel bad for those countries, must suck having millions of people at once in your country always demanding to speak to the manager at their walmarts
支持核绿派 (Greens4Nuclear)
khuzifenq
YaBB God
United States

P P
« Reply #15 on: January 17, 2021, 12:00:01 PM »

More than 90% are Christians with Baptists and Seventh-day Adventists being the big groups and they're very devout and the church is the focus point of their communities (even Karen Buddhists go to church at times for that reason), so I guess they normally vote Republican. Generally the Burmese community in the US is very socially and culturally conservative and dominated by refugees from various traditional and devout religious minorities, but a lot of them also think Trump's style and demeanor reminds them of the Burmese generals and the regime they fled, and at least in 2016 that was a factor since Clinton was perceived to care about Burma and be knowledgable about it, not sure if the same applies to Biden. Anecdotally they also don't think Trump is a true Christian, but I only got that from one Karen guy. I could see a lot of ticket splitting with people voting for Biden, but GOP down ballot. Biden is pro-choice, but he's open and serious about his faith, knows about foreign policy/cares about human rights and other countries and Trump's demeanor is just at odds with Karen culture. On the other hand liberal American culture is completely alien to them and the riots could also have pushed some people towards Trump.

This post sums up why many Asian subgroups are up for grabs for both parties.

I suspect most Myanmar-origin Americans are ethnic Bamar (or more likely ethnic Chinese), and that Karen Americans might not identify as “Burmese”. But this is all baseless conjecture and inferences about suggested 2nd degree Facebook connections on my part. I can count the number of Myanmar-origin individuals in the US I’ve personally met on one hand.

From Wiki:

Karen people first arrived to the U.S. in 2002. In 2017 Minnesota was reported to have more than 12,000 Karen, the largest such community in the country.[2] Other places with significant populations are California, Texas, New York, and Indiana.[3]

Total population
215,000[1]

Regions with significant populations
Arizona, California, New York, Indiana, Virginia, Maryland, Illinois, Ohio, Texas, Georgia, Wyoming, Minnesota
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 17, 2021, 08:23:04 PM »

Thank you for not saying rodent.
GregTheGreat657
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -1.04

P P
« Reply #17 on: October 07, 2021, 06:23:13 PM »

Bumping this thread backup
darklordoftech
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #18 on: October 07, 2021, 06:56:28 PM »

If they’re “Karens” about underage drinking and teen smoking: Biden

If they’re “Karens” about mask and vaccine mandates: Trump
Vice President Christian Man
Christian Man
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.94, S: -2.26

P P P

« Reply #19 on: October 07, 2021, 08:05:06 PM »

Interesting how Trump won the "Nancy" vote and Joseph was tied. I wonder who won the "Donald" vote.
Bootes Void
iamaganster123
Junior Chimp
Canada

« Reply #20 on: October 07, 2021, 08:56:05 PM »

Interesting how Trump won the "Nancy" vote and Joseph was tied. I wonder who won the "Donald" vote.
Nancy is basically an old woman's name. Considering Joseph is just a generic male name, it does lean leftward of how men vote in general
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #21 on: October 07, 2021, 09:15:57 PM »

Nancy is basically an old woman's name. Considering Joseph is just a generic male name, it does lean leftward of how men vote in general

The Donald vote probably went heavily Republican for this reason given its a very old fashioned name.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #22 on: October 07, 2021, 10:53:50 PM »

Donald was the most Republican name they surveyed.
SInNYC

« Reply #23 on: October 09, 2021, 10:17:22 AM »

Among male names, Joseph and David might be overrepresented with Jews?

And Christopher with Scandinavians?
slothdem

« Reply #24 on: October 09, 2021, 10:41:40 AM »

Among male names, Joseph and David might be overrepresented with Jews?

And Christopher with Scandinavians?

David maybe, but Joseph absolutely not. My hometown was about 30% Jewish (but much less now) and all Joseph's/Joe's/Joey's were Italian. Biden's strength with Joseph's is certainly linked to his strength with white catholics.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies