DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:00:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 41
Author Topic: DC statehood Megathread (pg 33 - Manchin questioning constitutionality)  (Read 39654 times)
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #600 on: April 14, 2021, 01:00:03 PM »

Toomey already said on MTP he isn't lifting Filibuster in any scenario except for Manchin and Toomey gun control bill
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #601 on: April 14, 2021, 01:33:59 PM »

^Lol what?

1) Any D.C. statehood bill isn’t going to receive major (if any) R support for incredibly obvious reasons. You’d have more of a point if this was about Puerto Rico, but nothing Republicans might do will allow them to be competitive in D.C.

2) Persuadable minority voters in swing/winnable states/districts don’t care about D.C. statehood. This sounds like something some NRSC intern would post in a press release, LMAO.

3) My point was that Manchin's vote on this is about as much "in doubt" as Toomey's is. I realize that the same gullible people will never stop falling for his tiresome, tiresome shtick, though.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #602 on: April 14, 2021, 03:53:25 PM »

We're quickly approaching "big f**king deal" territory.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #603 on: April 15, 2021, 04:06:54 PM »

You’re not seeing that cash. This isn’t happening.

Period.

Only way I could even see it is if the parliamentarian rules it could happen?

It’s not happening
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #604 on: April 15, 2021, 04:26:52 PM »

Manchin already said he isn't lifting Filibuster, the only big deal is the infrastructure
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #605 on: April 15, 2021, 04:40:34 PM »

https://news.yahoo.com/gops-most-important-votes-2-033020050.html

Mcconnell says nice things about Manchin and Sinema, this is not the big deal territory that D's hope, Sinema and Manchin are still Against the Filibuster Reform
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #606 on: April 15, 2021, 05:02:32 PM »

DC statehood isn't that big of a deal, the Ds want to press thru it, because they goofed up in 2009 when Obama and Biden refused to get rid of Filibuster and Harry Reid could have eliminated the Filibuster too in 2013
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #607 on: April 15, 2021, 05:53:44 PM »

naysayers are still utterly convinced this needs the filibuster to be approved. All that needs to happen is that manchin and sinema decide it doesnt need the filibuster pursuant to the fact that state admission isn't a legislative issue. The parliamentarian could rule similarly and even if she doesn't, the Dems can just lift the filibuster for admitting states. Manchin and Sinema wont oppose that no matter what theatrical schtick they pull.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #608 on: April 15, 2021, 05:55:45 PM »

naysayers are still utterly convinced this needs the filibuster to be approved. All that needs to happen is that manchin and sinema decide it doesnt need the filibuster pursuant to the fact that state admission isn't a legislative issue. The parliamentarian could rule similarly and even if she doesn't, the Dems can just lift the filibuster for admitting states. Manchin and Sinema wont oppose that no matter what theatrical schtick they pull.

Yep, there are lots of paths that lead to this passing by this summer, and if Manchin and Sinema weren't going to get on one of them, Biden and Pelosi would have quietly scuttled this.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #609 on: April 15, 2021, 06:07:04 PM »

If this was the case they would have passed the DC Statehood in 2009 when they had 59 votes, Rs blocked it then and it wasn't passed
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #610 on: April 15, 2021, 06:11:32 PM »

If this was the case they would have passed the DC Statehood in 2009 when they had 59 votes, Rs blocked it then and it wasn't passed

There was way less Dem appetite in 2009 than there is today and thats almost all that matters. Also I'm pretty sure there wasn't a direct statehood bill in 2009, so your point is kinda moot.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #611 on: April 15, 2021, 06:14:15 PM »

There was way less Dem appetite in 2009 than there is today and thats almost all that matters. Also I'm pretty sure there wasn't a direct statehood bill in 2009, so your point is kinda moot.

It remains to be seen if there are the votes there, but Rs are still gonna block it. It was a DC bill passed by the H and S, and Jon Kyle blocked it
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #612 on: April 15, 2021, 06:17:26 PM »

It remains to be seen if there are the votes there, but Rs are still gonna block it.

Rs are also the minority in both houses. In the house, they don't even need a filibuster for statehood, so the minority can just complain. I can't imagine any house dem blocking DC statehood either.

In the senate, there's a case, as I and many others have stated, that statehood requires no filibuster as it is not a legislative matter, so the minority is further unable to really block this. If Manchin and Sinema agree it doesn't need the filibuster, which I don't see as particularly unlikely, then all statehood needs is Kamala's VP tiebreaking vote.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

« Reply #613 on: April 15, 2021, 06:58:27 PM »

Keep thinking that it doesn't require the lifting of the Fillibuster I am honestly waiting to know

You don't know everything, otherwise you would be on TV not on Atlas making comments
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #614 on: April 15, 2021, 07:07:45 PM »

Keep thinking that it doesn't require the lifting of the Fillibuster I am honestly waiting to know

You don't know everything, otherwise you would be on TV not on Atlas making comments

Literally among the strangest comments I've ever read...
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #615 on: April 15, 2021, 07:13:52 PM »

Period.

It’s not happening

Good, keep the reverse psychology up! It's worked wonders on everything we've previously sought!!
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #616 on: April 15, 2021, 07:23:35 PM »
« Edited: April 15, 2021, 08:17:15 PM by Western Democrat »

Period.

It’s not happening

Good, keep the reverse psychology up! It's worked wonders on everything we've previously sought!!

Hopefully MillennialModerate starts telling us that Court Packing has an absolutely 0% chance of happening.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #617 on: April 15, 2021, 08:07:58 PM »

Frankly, one of OC’s more coherent contributions. Filibuster is inevitable.
CookieDamage
cookiedamage
YaBB God

« Reply #618 on: April 15, 2021, 08:11:18 PM »

Except it isn't
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #619 on: April 15, 2021, 08:52:57 PM »

It's inevitable that they'll try. It's inevitable that they'll fail.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #620 on: April 20, 2021, 10:22:48 AM »

Biden wouldn't be making this statement if it weren't a done deal.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #621 on: April 20, 2021, 10:28:13 AM »

Yes he would because he's trying to make it happen. You really think Manchin & Sinema have given Biden private assurances that they will vote to overrule the parliamentarian in the event she rules the filibuster applies to statehood?
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #622 on: April 20, 2021, 10:33:40 AM »

Yes he would because he's trying to make it happen. You really think Manchin & Sinema have given Biden private assurances that they will vote to overrule the parliamentarian in the event she rules the filibuster applies to statehood?

I don't know what particular path they've settled on, but yes, I believe Manchin and Sinema have indicated to leadership that they will not derail this. This would be such an embarrassing disgrace to Biden and the rest of Democratic leadership to get this far and not get it done. If the votes weren't going to be there, they would have quietly dropped this months ago.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #623 on: April 20, 2021, 10:33:47 AM »

Maybe?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #624 on: April 20, 2021, 10:41:22 AM »

Maybe?

Yeah maybe. Sinema had said she won't overrule the Parliamentarian (not for this specifically but in general) and Manchin has been pretty definitive about not messing with the filibuster which is why I'm highly skeptical.
Pages: 1 ... 20 21 22 23 24 [25] 26 27 28 29 30 ... 41  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies