Biden picks Jaime Harrison to be DNC chair
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 08:01:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden picks Jaime Harrison to be DNC chair
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Biden picks Jaime Harrison to be DNC chair  (Read 3464 times)
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 14, 2021, 12:54:15 PM »

https://thehill.com/homenews/campaign/534240-biden-plans-to-name-jaime-harrison-to-lead-the-democratic-national

I was hoping for Stacey Abrams, she clearly has done a better job getting her state party in a place where they can actually win, not just raise money.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 12:56:22 PM »

I have mixed feelings, but I like the idea of choosing someone that isn't afraid to contest a state that Republicans seem unbeatable in. I firmly believe that if the Democratic Party doesn't invest in the supposedly noncompetitive states then they'll be practically screwed in the Senate longterm.
Sirius_
Ninja0428
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.00, S: -7.91

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 12:56:25 PM »

We all know Abrams wants to be governor. Plus, Harrison has experience as a state party chair while Abrams hasn't, she'd arguably be better at Georgia chair for now.
Farmlands
Portugal

Political Matrix
E: 0.77, S: -0.14

« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 12:57:53 PM »

Stacy Abrams still has a good path to the governorship of Georgia, while I don't see any statewide future in the cards for Mr. Harrison. Plus, he's a great guy with experience on this type of role, so I think this was a solid pick overall.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 01:05:24 PM »

The right track/ wrong track number transfers to whom is holding office at that period of time and Biden approvals are 48)37 not 55 percent, and the first midterm was bad for Clinton and Obama, but if the Economy is normalized, then D's should win big next year
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 01:09:59 PM »

I actually like this a lot and think that Harrison will do a great job as DNC chair. About time we had someone who had experience running in a red state who understands reaching out to voters on real issues.
Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 01:23:49 PM »

Man, Harrison really did win 2020 after all.

He gets to be DNC chair for 2-4 years, and after that, he’s the front runner to inherit Clyburn’s seat back in South Carolina, and spend as long as he wants in the House. Maybe even get an Ambassadorship or Cabinet position a few decades of House services from now.

Guy’s got it made.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 01:24:42 PM »

As if we needed any more proof that Jim Clyburn is the most powerful member of the Democratic Party.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 01:36:59 PM »

This is how you keep developing your bench and sustain a viable 50 state strategy. Yes, Harrison didn't win but he needs name recognition and profile for whatever comes next.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 01:43:40 PM »

Jaime Harrison raised a ridiculous amount of money, he's good on TV, and he's loyal to Biden.  What more could you ask for?
Ancestral Republican
Crane
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -8.16, S: 3.22

P

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 01:45:44 PM »

Jaime Harrison raised a ridiculous amount of money, he's good on TV, and he's loyal to Biden.  What more could you ask for?

Somebody who wins?

Oh, sorry, I forgot that winning takes a backseat to patronage.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 01:46:10 PM »

Somebody who wins?

Howard Dean didn't win, and he's widely considered the best DNC chair of the last 20 years.

Jaime Harrison didn't defeat Lindsey Graham in deep-red SC.  Boo hoo.  He made the race so competitive that Lindsey was crawling around begging for help for months.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 01:48:10 PM »

Somebody who wins?

Howard Dean didn't win, and he's widely considered the best DNC chair of the last 20 years.

Jaime Harrison didn't defeat Lindsey Graham in deep-red SC.  Boo hoo.  He made the race so competitive that Lindsey was crawling around begging for help for months.

The race wasn't competitive.

It's true Lindsey took cash from other race, but it's doubly true that Harrison took millions for an uncompetitive campaign.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #13 on: January 14, 2021, 01:48:32 PM »

Somebody who wins?

Good points. This thread is selling me on the idea that Harrison is a good pick after all. Abrams probably is too focused on running for governor for it to work out anyway.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 14, 2021, 01:50:15 PM »

Somebody who wins?

Good points. This thread is selling me on the idea that Harrison is a good pick after all. Abrams probably is too focused on running for governor for it to work out anyway.

Oh yeah, Stacey Abrams lost her race.  I guess all the sorry haters in this thread would be equally angry with Abrams as DNC chair since she's a "loser" as well.
GP270watch
Junior Chimp

« Reply #15 on: January 14, 2021, 01:54:52 PM »
« Edited: January 14, 2021, 02:41:58 PM by GP270watch »

Jaime Harrison raised a ridiculous amount of money, he's good on TV, and he's loyal to Biden.  What more could you ask for?

Somebody who wins?

Jaime Harrison didn't defeat Lindsey Graham in deep-red SC.  Boo hoo.  He made the race so competitive that Lindsey was crawling around begging for help for months.

Oh yeah, Stacey Abrams lost her race.  I guess all the sorry haters in this thread would be equally angry with Abrams as DNC chair since she's a "loser" as well.

This is the prefect response. You have to build the groundwork in places where people think it's not possible to win and that doesn't happen overnight. I remember the bad hot takes about Abrams and Beto. But what they did was crucial going forward. We know once a person who wasn't politically engaged gets involved in a few cycles they become highly likely to be a lifelong voter.
Person Man
Angry_Weasel
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #16 on: January 14, 2021, 02:01:46 PM »

I really want Stacy Abrams to be the next Karl Rove. Jaime sounds like the next Dean.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #17 on: January 14, 2021, 02:07:30 PM »

Somebody who wins?

Technically, if you won, you already have a job and can't be DNC chair.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #18 on: January 14, 2021, 02:25:22 PM »

Harrison is a great pick. People who complain about how "the DNC will keep raising tons of money and lose elections" miss the point. The role of the DNC Chair is not to win elections. That's the responsibility of the DSCC, DCCC and individual campaign manager. Their role is to raise money, something Harrison is great at.

Plus the campaign Harrison ran is exactly the type of campaign Democrats need to be more willing to, just in more competitive states.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #19 on: January 14, 2021, 02:33:04 PM »

It seems that the only difference between Jaime Harrison and Amy McGrath is that the political literati believe the former subjectively ran a better campaign, even though McGrath outperformed Biden by 2 points, versus only 0.8 points by Harrison.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 14, 2021, 02:37:30 PM »

Jaime Harrison raised a ridiculous amount of money, he's good on TV, and he's loyal to Biden.  What more could you ask for?

Somebody who wins?

Being down by only 10 against an incumbent in South Carolina is pretty damn good.
Interlocutor is just not there yet
Interlocutor
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.04

« Reply #21 on: January 14, 2021, 02:58:59 PM »
« Edited: January 15, 2021, 03:46:01 AM by Monstro Believed in a Blue Georgia (and a Blue Texas) »

Harrison is a very decent pick. Abrams eyeing the 2022 Governors race shouldn't be a stunning revelation after the last 3 years.

Honestly, I'm just happy for someone other than Perez.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #22 on: January 14, 2021, 03:05:21 PM »

I didn't know the president picks the DNC/RNC Chair.

What's happening with Tom Perez? The article says nothing about him.
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 14, 2021, 03:08:56 PM »

Somebody who wins?

Being down by only 10 against an incumbent in South Carolina is pretty damn good.

James Smith lost by 8 in 2018 and got pretty much zero attention from the national party. Harrison nationalized the race to the point that he had reverse coattails in legislative races.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #24 on: January 14, 2021, 03:16:50 PM »

I didn't know the president picks the DNC/RNC Chair.

What's happening with Tom Perez? The article says nothing about him.

Tom Perez announced his retirement months ago, no matter the election result.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies