Marjorie Taylor Greene craziness megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 07, 2024, 05:57:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Marjorie Taylor Greene craziness megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 24
Author Topic: Marjorie Taylor Greene craziness megathread  (Read 26637 times)
Roll Roons
Atlas Icon
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #375 on: February 04, 2021, 06:47:08 PM »
« edited: February 04, 2021, 06:50:33 PM by Roll Roons »

So far, the confirmed Republican yes votes are:
Kinzinger
Fitzpatrick
Katko
Upton
Malliotakis

Not sure who the others are. People on Twitter are speculating that Malliotakis voted yes because of MTG's 9/11 conspiracies.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #376 on: February 04, 2021, 06:51:48 PM »

Attorney General & PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #377 on: February 04, 2021, 06:52:44 PM »

Horus
Sheliak5
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #378 on: February 04, 2021, 06:54:44 PM »

Did MTG make rude remarks about Cubans or something? I can understand Gimenez and Salazar but Diaz-Balart is surprising.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #379 on: February 04, 2021, 06:56:05 PM »

Did MTG make rude remarks about Cubans or something? I can understand Gimenez and Salazar but Diaz-Balart is surprising.
NE Republicans have connection to 9/11m
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #380 on: February 04, 2021, 06:59:04 PM »

Parkland?
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #381 on: February 04, 2021, 06:59:49 PM »

Liz Cheney voted NO on removing MTG from committees. She also just released some BS statement.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #382 on: February 04, 2021, 07:04:37 PM »

Parkland?

Yeah, that’s what I suspect.
Sorenroy
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -5.91

P P
« Reply #383 on: February 04, 2021, 07:06:54 PM »

The fact that 199 Republicans heard MTG's "I used to believe [cascade of conspiracies, disinformation, and lies] but now I'm sowwy. 😢" and decided to leave her on committees isn't surprising, but it is kind of sad. It's not like Republicans are the ones holding a narrow majority and they need Greene's vote to maintain power; it seems like a fairly easy and consequence-free way to strip her of her positions. I know it already was just a way to criticize Democrats, but you can't use the "Democrats are the real racists/antisemites/etc." argument when you have 90%+ of your own party voting in support of a person who, among many, many other things, thinks that "Zionist supremacists" are conspiring to replace white people in Europe.

Is there something I'm missing here? Is there some great harm that would befall the Republican party if they stripped Greene of her committee positions or if she was expelled altogether?
LtNOWIS

« Reply #384 on: February 04, 2021, 07:13:25 PM »

The fact that 199 Republicans heard MTG's "I used to believe [cascade of conspiracies, disinformation, and lies] but now I'm sowwy. 😢" and decided to leave her on committees isn't surprising, but it is kind of sad. It's not like Republicans are the ones holding a narrow majority and they need Greene's vote to maintain power; it seems like a fairly easy and consequence-free way to strip her of her positions. I know it already was just a way to criticize Democrats, but you can't use the "Democrats are the real racists/antisemites/etc." argument when you have 90%+ of your own party voting in support of a person who, among many, many other things, thinks that "Zionist supremacists" are conspiring to replace white people in Europe.

Is there something I'm missing here? Is there some great harm that would befall the Republican party if they stripped Greene of her committee positions or if she was expelled altogether?
Historically the minority party has been able to control their own committee assignments. For the majority party to have veto power over the minority party's choices breaks convention and probably pisses off a lot of Republicans, even ones who were happy to throw Steve King under the bus a couple years ago.

With the impeachment vote, it seems clear that it was electorally damaging to all the "yes" votes, and they voted that way out of principle, knowing they'd draw primary challengers.

For this vote, I don't think any primary voters will remember it in a few years, which is why most of the yes votes were people in swing districts, especially around New York and Florida where 9/11 or Parkland trutherism would be a general election liability.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #385 on: February 04, 2021, 07:19:09 PM »

Historically the minority party has been able to control their own committee assignments. For the majority party to have veto power over the minority party's choices breaks convention and probably pisses off a lot of Republicans, even ones who were happy to throw Steve King under the bus a couple years ago.
Perhaps they shouldn’t support someone who called for violence against the opposing party? Oh wait, the Republicans are now channeling the spirit of Preston Brooks! I guess doubling down on treason is the new conservative thing! Roll Eyes
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #386 on: February 04, 2021, 07:22:31 PM »

Fitzpatrick votes for this but not impeachment, Cheney (and others) vote for impeachment but not for this...

I don’t get it.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #387 on: February 04, 2021, 07:26:13 PM »

Fitzpatrick votes for this but not impeachment, Cheney (and others) vote for impeachment but not for this...

I don’t get it.

It is odd. It seems this was more of an ideological vote, whereas the impeachment was a conscience vote. Why, I couldn’t say.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #388 on: February 04, 2021, 07:27:08 PM »

I don’t get it.

It is odd. It seems this was more of an ideological vote, whereas the impeachment was a conscience vote. Why, I couldn’t say.

No this was ideological + Geographical
9/11 + Parkland.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #389 on: February 04, 2021, 07:27:42 PM »

I don’t get it.

No this was ideological + GEOGRAPHICAL.

9/11 + Parkland.

True.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #390 on: February 04, 2021, 07:29:22 PM »

Lmao she lives rent free in Dems heads. Congratulations for making her a star, I guess?

I don’t know what you guys are trying to accomplish tbh, but I won’t interrupt my rivals as they make a mistake.

Getting legislatively and politically neutered to own the libs Cool
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #391 on: February 04, 2021, 07:29:42 PM »

Lmao she lives rent free in Dems heads. Congratulations for making her a star, I guess?

I don’t know what you guys are trying to accomplish tbh, but I won’t interrupt my rivals as they make a mistake.

We’re making her the face of the GOP, kinda like you tried to do with AOC. (Congratulations for making her a star, I guess?) We’ll see how “Jewish space lasers” and 9/11 trutherism plays in the suburbs.
GeneralMacArthur
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #392 on: February 04, 2021, 07:33:04 PM »

Please keep promoting her and talking about her.  Make her your new God to replace Trump, whom you now hate.

The GOP desperately needs a new face and she'll do nicely.  And since she just lost 85% of her power in Congress, she'll have plenty of free time to spend on talk shows and right-wing media promoting herself and her brand as synonymous with the GOP.

Onwards and downwards!
LtNOWIS

« Reply #393 on: February 04, 2021, 07:36:06 PM »

I don’t get it.
The impeachment vote is a surefire way to draw Trump's personal ire and a major primary challenge. I don't think any of the yes votes had any political gain from it, so they likely did it out of principle. Plenty of the "no" votes surely loathed Trump but were avoiding political risk.

This vote on committee stuff will not be remembered by any primary voters, but could be a factor in general elections. In fact I would posit that most of the GOP "yes" votes were voting to avoid political risk, not out of principle. While the "no" votes are actually pissed off that Democrats would break convention and go after their committee assignments.

Certainly Cheney would never in a million years vote yes while she's in leadership, since she would be seen as betraying the caucus directly.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #394 on: February 04, 2021, 07:53:30 PM »

What mistake? She's your Ilhan Omar but more deserving of scorn and more likely to become the face of the post-Trump GOP. That'll surely help with winning back the suburbs! She also now has lost much of her influence while in office so we don't have to feel quite as terrible about her making decisions for the country. This vote has also exposed...well, if anyone needed even more of a reminder, that is, how far-gone into irrationality and delusion that the vast majority of the GOP has descended into in being perfectly fine with associating with her in addition to Trump and Capitol rioters. They're all okay to the Republican Party-deserving of only a mild wag on the finger at least. It's a win-win-win in many ways.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #395 on: February 04, 2021, 07:58:41 PM »

What mistake? She's your Ilhan Omar but more deserving of scorn and more likely to become the face of the post-Trump GOP. That'll surely help with winning back the suburbs! She also now has lost much of her influence while in office so we don't have to feel quite as terrible about her making decisions for the country. This vote has also exposed...well, if anyone needed even more of a reminder, that is, how far-gone into irrationality and delusion that the vast majority of the GOP has descended into in being perfectly fine with associating with her in addition to Trump and Capitol rioters. They're all okay to the Republican Party-deserving of only a mild wag on the finger at least. It's a win-win-win in many ways.

Except her district chose her to represent the district in both the primary and the general with most of the quoted statements being made before she took office. The GOP should have removed her seats but not congress.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #396 on: February 04, 2021, 08:01:21 PM »

Except her district chose her to represent the district in both the primary and the general with most of the quoted statements being made before she took office. The GOP should have removed her seats but not congress.

I get what you’re saying, but she was removed from committees through a perfectly legitimate mechanism, and voters of her district should have been aware of the possibility of that when casting their votes.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #397 on: February 04, 2021, 08:12:59 PM »

I agree with you there, but I feel the appropriate analogy is the South during the Civil Rights Era. They had the opportunity, but have refused. They are too far gone to administer appropriate justice. I don't like that the full House has had to do this. However, she still holds her seat and voting rights. Her committee assignments will be assigned to other Republicans. What needs to be clear is that this is not a power grab by Democrats.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #398 on: February 04, 2021, 08:13:41 PM »

The fact that there are Biden district Republicans who have not voted to impeach and not voted to remove Greene. They need to be out in 2022, stat.

Also, even people like Herrera Beutler? Like what? You voted to impeach but not remove Greene?
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #399 on: February 04, 2021, 08:15:15 PM »

I get what you’re saying, but she was removed from committees through a perfectly legitimate mechanism, and voters of her district should have been aware of the possibility of that when casting their votes.

And now MN 5th/NY 14th(or whatever number it is) voters will have to aware of the same for 2022.

The GOP will do that in 2023 when if they take back the house. Then Democrats will say the two aren't the same and do a few more back. After that we just go down a rolling hill till no one in the house minority has any committee seats.
Pages: 1 ... 11 12 13 14 15 [16] 17 18 19 20 21 ... 24  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies