Reagan on money?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 05:07:02 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Reagan on money?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: Reagan on money?  (Read 7488 times)
Siege40

Political Matrix
E: -6.25, S: -4.26

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: June 08, 2004, 04:14:14 PM »

Can someone tell me who's on all the currency so that I can make a judgement. I'm not very familiar with American currency. From penny to highest form, I know some but I'd like to be affirmed or correct in some cases.

Siege
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #26 on: June 08, 2004, 04:18:54 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2004, 04:21:09 PM by supersoulty »

Can someone tell me who's on all the currency so that I can make a judgement. I'm not very familiar with American currency. From penny to highest form, I know some but I'd like to be affirmed or correct in some cases.

Siege

Penny: Lincoln
Nickel: Jefferson
Dime: FDR
Quarter: Washinton
Half-Dollar: Kennedy
Dollar Coin (flop):  Sacawhoever
Dollar Bill: Washington
Two Dollar Bill: Jefferson
Five Dollar Bill: Lincoln
Ten  ": Hamilton
Twenty: Jackson
Fifty: Grant
Hundred: Franklin

There are higher bills but they don't get circulated regularly.  They are mostly for bank transactions and the like.

Maybe the dollar coins since the Eisenhower have all flopped because they put some women on there who no one really cares about, twice.  Susan B. Anthony!?!?  Yeah, that was a great idea.  At least they still moved when Ike was on them.
bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #27 on: June 08, 2004, 04:28:50 PM »

A person ought to be dead at least 10 years before receiving this kind of an honor.

Personally I'm one of the few who doesn't support changing the currency, but it wouldn't be the first time this has happened.

Kennedy was put on the half dollar in 1964 (replacing Benjamin Franklin)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #28 on: June 08, 2004, 04:29:58 PM »

I believe that Anthony and Sacagawea were both significant enough to deserve to be on money.

And the fact that there were women on those coins who YOU don't care about (plenty of others do, I assure you) had nothing to do with their failure to go over with the public, that's complete nonsense.

I expected better of you, Supersoulty.

bullmoose88
Atlas Icon

« Reply #29 on: June 08, 2004, 04:36:27 PM »

Try finding a soda machine that takes dollar coins...

probably why the dollar coin flopped...that and the fact that I think people prefer carrying the light dollar bill in their wallets/purses than clunky coins.

Nothing to do with who was on them. Money is money.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #30 on: June 08, 2004, 06:36:12 PM »

If you're going to put Reagan on anything, put him on the 20, getting rid of Native American-killing Jackson.

Jackson did other things too. He did help the regular people by giving them voting rights. He broke up the bank of the US.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #31 on: June 08, 2004, 07:14:27 PM »

If you're going to put Reagan on anything, put him on the 20, getting rid of Native American-killing Jackson.

Jackson did other things too. He did help the regular people by giving them voting rights. He broke up the bank of the US.

He also took away people's rights with the Indian Removal Act. Oh yeah, and then there's the spoils system.

Broke up the bank of the US? Hamilton had the right idea. Those Wildcat banks were really successful, wern't they?

Take Jackson off the twenty. I'd rather see someone like Truman or Eisenhower on it.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #32 on: June 08, 2004, 07:43:38 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2004, 07:45:28 PM by Lunar »

What the hell is Grant doing on the 50.  Get his corrupt administration off the bill and put someone decent on it like Reagan.

Reagan is one of my favorite presidents, but I don't want to see him replace Jackson or Hamilton on the commonly used 10s or 20s.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #33 on: June 08, 2004, 07:46:09 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2004, 07:48:30 PM by supersoulty »

I believe that Anthony and Sacagawea were both significant enough to deserve to be on money.

And the fact that there were women on those coins who YOU don't care about (plenty of others do, I assure you) had nothing to do with their failure to go over with the public, that's complete nonsense.

I'm merely stating an obvious fact.  Most of the American public don't care about these women.  If they put someone else, like maybe Eleanore Roosevelt on there, then maybe it would have generated more interest.  Or maybe a man like Dr. King.  I'm telling you, from the perspective of the average person.  that wasn't the only reason that they flopped so badly, but that was a big reason.

P.S. It is a fact that, even in the 70's, the Eisenhower was far more successful than the Susan B. Anthony.  Even though the Eisenhower was much larger and far less convienient to carry.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #34 on: June 08, 2004, 07:50:51 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2004, 07:56:05 PM by Storebought »

What the hell is Grant doing on the 50, replace him with Reagan.

Grant was one of only three presidents to win a majority of the popular vote throughout the 19th century. The first was Jackson, the last was McKinley.

(Dave's map lists the popular vote tallies since 1824, I believe, but some of those early numbers come from dodgy sources. An unfortunate consequence of the partiality of early secretaries of state, I guess. The pre Civil-War tallies are always edgy)
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #35 on: June 08, 2004, 07:53:34 PM »

Grant was one of only three presidents to win a majority of the popular vote throughout the 19th century. The first was Jackson, the last was McKinley.

That certainly doesn't "earn" him a place on the bill.  Presidents like Lincoln had significant third parties challenging them and thus popular vote isn't necessarily indicative of popularity.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: June 08, 2004, 07:54:15 PM »

Grant is on the $50 bill because he saved the Union.

I say take Cleaveland of of the $5,000.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #37 on: June 08, 2004, 07:56:32 PM »

His presidency was dismal though.

Presidents are on the bill because of their actions and merits as president.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #38 on: June 08, 2004, 07:58:05 PM »

His presidency was dismal though.

Presidents are on the bill because of their actions and merits as president.

I know he had a bad presidency, but I didn't put him on there.
Lunar
Atlas Superstar
Ireland, Republic of
« Reply #39 on: June 08, 2004, 07:59:33 PM »

Ok, I thought you were defending keeping him up there.  I refute that concept completely.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #40 on: June 08, 2004, 08:07:23 PM »

Ok, I thought you were defending keeping him up there.  I refute that concept completely.

I feel he should not be on money due to his presidency being such a failure.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #41 on: June 08, 2004, 08:07:44 PM »

I made an observation, but not a value judgement. Grover Cleveland better deserves the $50 spot than Grant, if you're solely going by 'actions as sitting president'

But Grant did push through civil rights legislation and enforce Reconstruction at least half-heartedly.

I'm still going over those prehistoric elections. For example, the famous Jackson biographer Robert Remini said Jackson received 687502 votes to the combined opposition of 566297, not at all what it is on the Election Results page.

I'm telling you--fishy, fishy, fishy.
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

« Reply #42 on: June 08, 2004, 08:31:09 PM »

1824 was the first election with popular votes.

Not every state voted on the same day either!
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #43 on: June 08, 2004, 09:11:13 PM »

I'm merely stating an obvious fact.  Most of the American public don't care about these women.  If they put someone else, like maybe Eleanore Roosevelt on there, then maybe it would have generated more interest.  Or maybe a man like Dr. King.  I'm telling you, from the perspective of the average person.  that wasn't the only reason that they flopped so badly, but that was a big reason.

P.S. It is a fact that, even in the 70's, the Eisenhower was far more successful than the Susan B. Anthony.  Even though the Eisenhower was much larger and far less convienient to carry.

Well, you said that no one cared, and I suppose I shouldn't have taken it literally, but I still dispute that most people don't care about them. I think that Anthony in particular is well remembered for her role in the suffrage movement. If not for Sacagawea, Lewis and Clark's mission would have been far less successful.

If it is true that a lot of people don't care, then that's through their lack of understanding of history.

They were both highly significant in US history, let's put it that way. Maybe having them on money will cause people to take the time to learn more about them; if people don't care about them it's because of their ignorance of history, and there's no reason to try to perpetuate that by taking them off of money.

Who goes on money should be based on significance of the person in question as well, not just the public's opinion.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #44 on: June 08, 2004, 09:38:25 PM »

I don't think those are being printed anymore.
opebo
Atlas Legend

« Reply #45 on: June 08, 2004, 11:25:35 PM »

Yes, he deserves the Twenty.  Jackson wasn't so great.  However I would rather see him on the Dime, as I don't like FDR at all.
??????????
StatesRights
Atlas Superstar
Political Matrix
E: 7.61, S: 0.00

« Reply #46 on: June 09, 2004, 01:58:53 AM »

I don't think those are being printed anymore.

Yes, they still do. They print all the way up to a 100k bill. But as soulty said earlier it's only for bank transactions. Kick Lincoln off the 5 dollar bill and put a meaningless president on a meaningless coin! Keep him on the penny! Put Reagan on the 5.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #47 on: June 09, 2004, 05:28:38 PM »

$10 bill.  Who needs Hamilton.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #48 on: June 09, 2004, 05:53:47 PM »

Jackson sucks.  Take him off the $20 bill, and if they want to replace him with Reagan. . . . that's fine.  He's better than Jackson.  I'd really like to see James Polk on the $20 though.
pieman
Rookie

« Reply #49 on: June 10, 2004, 12:01:39 AM »

The recent dollar coins failed for two reasons: They looked too much like a quarter; and there was no place to put them in a typical cash register.

Eliminate the penny and restart a REAGAN dollar coin at the same time. Make it gold colored, somewhat larger in diameter than a quarter, but twice as thick.  
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies