Reagan on money?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 07:35:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Reagan on money?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Reagan on money?  (Read 7490 times)
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: June 08, 2004, 10:37:32 AM »

These are the three leading proposals at the moment.

http://money.cnn.com/2004/06/08/news/economy/reagan_hamilton/index.htm?cnn=yes
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #1 on: June 08, 2004, 10:40:24 AM »

some idiot in ohio wants him on mount rushmore too.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #2 on: June 08, 2004, 11:08:50 AM »

I would vote "no", but if I were non-partisan, I would have to agree that Reagan is as worthy as Kennedy or Eisenhower.

Of the proposals, I support $10 bill.

But only if we also abolish the penny. Smiley
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: June 08, 2004, 11:09:58 AM »

But what I would really prefer is that we get rid of all the Presidents on our currency and adopt the Euro.
Fritz
JLD
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #4 on: June 08, 2004, 11:17:00 AM »

A person ought to be dead at least 10 years before receiving this kind of an honor.
Brambila
Brambilla

« Reply #5 on: June 08, 2004, 11:17:49 AM »

I voted to replace Hamilton, but I actually prefer do half and half on the dimes (even though I thought Truman was on the dime, not Roosavelt, but whatever).
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 3.61, S: -1.74

« Reply #6 on: June 08, 2004, 11:19:07 AM »

Put him on the 10$ bill. Cheesy
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #7 on: June 08, 2004, 11:22:37 AM »

I have long been an advocate for currencey change.  I acctually like the dime one.  That's if we don't change the rest of the currency as well.  If we do change the rest of it, then I would be in favor of a greater alteration.

I propose a bi-partisan comprimise:  Reagan on half the dimes, Truman on half the quarters (once the state quarters thing is over).
PBrunsel
Junior Chimp

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #8 on: June 08, 2004, 11:25:56 AM »

The $10 bill is a good one to put him on.

I want to keep FDR on the dime because it was FDR who came up with the March of Dimes.
JohnFKennedy
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: June 08, 2004, 11:26:35 AM »

But what I would really prefer is that we get rid of all the Presidents on our currency and adopt the Euro.

Shocked

Nobody wants the Euro, not even in European countries!
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #10 on: June 08, 2004, 11:26:54 AM »

A person ought to be dead at least 10 years before receiving this kind of an honor.

Some would arguee that Reagan has been dead for almost 10 years.  I mean no offense, but it is a valid point.  He dissappeared in 1998 basically.  After that, he might as well have been dead to all but his family.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: June 08, 2004, 11:28:26 AM »

Shocked

Euro SUCKS. BURN THE EURO!!!!!!! If the USA goes to the EURO i am moving and starting my own country!
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #12 on: June 08, 2004, 11:29:38 AM »

I have long been an advocate for currencey change.  I acctually like the dime one.  That's if we don't change the rest of the currency as well.  If we do change the rest of it, then I would be in favor of a greater alteration.

I propose a bi-partisan comprimise:  Reagan on half the dimes, Truman on half the quarters (once the state quarters thing is over).

How about we redue all the money. But some color in it. I want a blue dollar!!
Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #13 on: June 08, 2004, 11:31:05 AM »

I don't know about the whole half and half idea for coins. Seems like it would make things more confusing...if you have two different types of frontal designs on dimes or quarters in circulation at once, I can see people getting confused easily. Especially old people who have been used to the current faces for a long time.

Once the current state quarters end, I'd like to see them do the same thing with Presidents as with states; put 5 different Presidents on the back of the Quarter each year, in chronological order, all the way through the Presidents, perhaps excluding those who are already on a coin. Leave Washington on the front so that it's easier to identify the quarter.

I oppose any of these three ideas...the third option is too confusing, and as for the first two, I feel that Hamilton and Jackson are more worthy of being on money than Reagan. I also agree that we should wait 5-10 years to do anything, attempts to put Reagan on money immediately are trying to take advantage of a natural temporary jump in support for any such idea.

And before anyone mentions it, yes, I would have opposed putting Kennedy on the quarter immediately after he was assassinated, too.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: June 08, 2004, 11:34:01 AM »

Shocked

OK, then both the US and Europe can adopt the Australian Dollar...their money is awesome...I love the see-through part, and it is almost neon-colored.

And they got rid of the penny 10 years ago.
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: June 08, 2004, 11:36:33 AM »

Shocked

OK, then both the US and Europe can adopt the Australian Dollar...their money is awesome...I love the see-through part, and it is almost neon-colored.

And they got rid of the penny 10 years ago.

YEs penny is stupid. Add some color too.
Nation
of_thisnation
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #16 on: June 08, 2004, 11:39:07 AM »

If you're going to put Reagan on anything, put him on the 20, getting rid of Native American-killing Jackson.
KEmperor
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.00, S: -0.05

« Reply #17 on: June 08, 2004, 03:29:15 PM »

Personally, I don't believe we should put ANYONE on the money who hasn't been dead for a century.  I just don't feel we have a good enough historical perspective until enough time has passed.

I oppose changing any of the portraits on the paper money.  Reagan replacing FDR on the dime seems like the best thing to do if we must put him on money.
Storebought
YaBB God
« Reply #18 on: June 08, 2004, 03:49:07 PM »

Don't your DARE touch our Hamilton!

Besides being a Founding Father, an honor in itself, Hamilton's other virtues include, among other things:

(1) An uncanny ability to assess human nature. He described to the letter the destructive nightmare that would become the French Revolution, even as Jefferson wished the Revolution would be exported across the Atlantic

(2) A vision of the US that stretched from the Atlantic to the Pacific, from the Gulf of Yucatan to Hudson's Bay, with a population of 300 million. Economically strong and self sufficient, the linchpin of a global marketplace. Pretty darn close to reality

(3) Implementing monetary policies that make American money the essential currency of international transaction. Without him, we'd need to barter our bread for a Mexican peso or gack..sputter a euro.

(4) From a Unionist perspective, the integration of the new nation. His "Federalist Papers" gave intellectually coherent reasons why otherwise sovereign states should adopt the Constitution. His suggestion to Washington for a ruthless suppression of the Whiskey Rebellion kept the US from becoming an 18th-century Iraq or Balkans II

Both Reagan and Andrew Mellon, Hamilton's only successor as Treasury secretary, would agree to leave the $10 just as it is.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #19 on: June 08, 2004, 03:59:12 PM »

I just think that it is halarious that all these Dems. (and a handful of Republicans) are complaining that we need to wait.  (Though Nym did bring this up) It took about a month after the Kennedy assasination for them to rip Franklin's face of the Half-dollar and put Kennedy's on there.  Consider that then we had no time to even consider the impact of Kennedy's legacy.  Ronald Reagan has been out of the White House for 16 years.  I think that that is more than enough time.
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #20 on: June 08, 2004, 04:04:21 PM »
« Edited: June 08, 2004, 04:10:41 PM by supersoulty »

(Dusts off folder)

Here is my old proposal from an earlier thread.

US currency has remained largely unchange for a long time now.  We have had the same presidents on the same bills and coins since at least the fifties for some donominations.  Three presidents (Washinton, Jefferson and Lincoln) appear on both a coin and a bill.  Is it time for a change?  If so, who would you put on what?

I think I would take Grant of the $50 and put FDR on that.  Take FDR of the Dime and put Truman on there.  Take Jefferson of the nickle and put John Adams on there.  Take Washington off the quarter and put TR on that.  Take Kennedy of the Half-Dollar and put Reagan on.

Finally, I would either start re-printing $2 bills or creat a $2 coin.  (Soda machines now cost $1.25 and will go up, so there is a need).  If we keep bills, then keep Jefferson.  If we switch to coins, put Jefferson on them.

Anyway, we have had more than just seven presidents (and Grant wasn't very good) so I think that our money should start reflecting that.

P.S.  Since I posted I have realized the FDR must stay on the dime in some capacity.  So keep him on there and put Truman on the $50.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #21 on: June 08, 2004, 04:06:15 PM »

I agree I think the dimes idea is a reasonable one. It does seem like splitting hairs somewhat, but its not like this is the Missouri compromise or anything. Its just the coin, and by this point in history Reagan's legacy is in league with FDR's in terms of economic impact on the U.S. The $10 bill proposal seems unpopular, on CNN's unscientific poll about 69% out of the 125,000 who voted said no.
PatadyBag

« Reply #22 on: June 08, 2004, 04:07:05 PM »

I like the dime idea- I am 110% opposed to the complete usurpation of FDR's rightful place on the dime (what with the march of dimes and all- not to mention the fact that I feel he's the greatest president the nation has had), but I'd love some more diversity with our coins.

I think along with having different presidents on the same coin at the same time (extending it beyond just dimes), I like the idea of changing the tails sides too- rather that just having drab symbols, we could put more exciting portraits of national landmarks there (one coin could show the monuments of D.C., another the New York skyline, another Hollywood, another the St. Louis arch, etc.)
Josh/Devilman88
josh4bush
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: June 08, 2004, 04:10:32 PM »

Put Reagan on the 10!
12th Doctor
supersoulty
Atlas Star
Ukraine

« Reply #24 on: June 08, 2004, 04:11:09 PM »

Not even I support that, and Reagan is one of my heros.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies