Opinion of Del Tachi? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:14:36 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Del Tachi? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: ??
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 126

Author Topic: Opinion of Del Tachi?  (Read 5080 times)
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« on: January 20, 2021, 02:21:12 PM »

The reaction against him is a striking illustration of how much the Overton window has narrowed on this forum compared to where it used to be.
I dissent!

DC, TJ, RI, John Dule, RINO Tom, Deadman, and a number of serious rightists on this forum are just as prominent as ever. To pretend that there’s been some drastic shift there is nonsense.

Del Tachi is a provocateur, and, unlike conservative provocateur Jordan Peterson, I have not seen these intellectually redeeming qualities. Every serious discussion I have had with him on his hot takes, he dodges question after question. I remain hopeful that this will change in the future, but I think the defense of him here is not entirely warranted.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 20, 2021, 04:30:13 PM »

You believe Jordan Peterson has redeeming intellectual qualities?
Maps of Meaning is a decent academic book. It’s not quite The Hero with a Thousand Faces, but it’s certainly of a caliber one would expect from a Harvard professor. As far as his self help book, though I grant that its effect is predominantly placebo in nature, it has been helpful to millions of people - something its critics can hardly claim.

You, too, may possess interesting ideas behind sophistry. I don’t know because I never have gotten past that.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 12:48:33 PM »

Speaking as one of those serious rightists, I agree with Shua. The forum has become significantly less hospitable to rightists over the past few years. Based on my conversations with other forum rightists, I suspect most of the other serious rightists you cited agree with me.
The best solution to a problem of intolerance is exposure therapy - if you want to be taken more seriously, post more and more so that people can understand you. In an exchange of good ideas, people will be less hostile to ideas they are more familiar with.

I, however, am far more interested in takes from Parrotguy and smoltchanov and such - people from countries very different from my own. The repetition of circular talking points has become less common on here over the years, and that’s a good thing. Furthermore, I think the recent uptick in abortion discussions, where pretty minimal hostility to the right wing position has been shown, demonstrates that in an ongoing debate, right wing ideas can and will be taken seriously.

If you want to talk specific problems with moderators, okay. That’s fine with me. But to merely argue that the Overton Window on Atlas is shrinking and this is inherently a bad thing? I think that sort of persecution complex is going to damage the right on Atlas far more than it will help them.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies