Opinion of Del Tachi?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
March 28, 2024, 10:31:18 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Forum Community (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, YE, KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸)
  Opinion of Del Tachi?
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Poll
Question: ??
FF

HP

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 126

Author Topic: Opinion of Del Tachi?  (Read 4986 times)
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 12, 2021, 02:28:48 PM »

FF.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #26 on: January 12, 2021, 02:35:09 PM »

Basically that Democrats are to blame for Republicans wanting to do this and that if the mob no longer trusts American democracy, our country deserves to be torn down and rebuilt from the ashes. Basically the worst possible fusion of resentment politics and social contract theory.

This was the most egregious part of what he said:
Plus no building is no important than the Capitol. That's just sacred. You don't touch that.

It's great when the neolibs' masks slip just enough that you can plainly see that their true fidelity is to mere physical presentations of state power (i.e., literal buildings) and other objects, lol.  Power resides in people, not buildings.  If the U.S. Capitol ever becomes a symbol of a system of civil government that does not serve the best interests of the people, then it will deserve to be burned to the ground.

Like I said, if Joe Biden had any balls (like I wish he did), he would be declaring provisional government and martial law tonight.  Would he, if successful, destory the system of government that keeps Republicans artifically in power?  Probably yes, but that's the price that has to be paid to reconstitute our belief in a government that works for "the majority" (defined however the mob wishes.)  This isn't a Republican or Democrat thing, it's a matter of renewing our right to self-determination and refreshing the civil state (which really hasn't been seriously updated since the New Deal/WWII.)     

Scott, once again, captures my thoughts on today's happenings almost perfectly:

Quote from: Senator Scott link=topic=422360.msg7874637
The system is broken and it needs to be rebuilt from the ground-up. I don't care who sparks it, but this is actually a moment for the disenfranchised and the cynics on both the left and right to retake the country for ourselves.

That the mob, as some sort of reward for their actions, should be allowed to dictate exactly how a new American system of government will work. Saying that a few thousand violent extremists should be allowed to impose their agenda unilaterally on the rest of the country? That’s not clever, sophisticated or intellectual. It’s just straight up moronic.

Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #27 on: January 12, 2021, 02:37:23 PM »

That the mob, as some sort of reward for their actions, should be allowed to dictate exactly how a new American system of government will work. Saying that a few thousand violent extremists should be able to impose their agenda unilaterally on the rest of the country? That’s not clever, sophisticated or intellectual. It’s just straight up moronic.

Oclocracy is definitely moronic, but I don't see why it can't be sophisticated and intellectual as well.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #28 on: January 12, 2021, 02:41:50 PM »

Basically that Democrats are to blame for Republicans wanting to do this and that if the mob no longer trusts American democracy, our country deserves to be torn down and rebuilt from the ashes. Basically the worst possible fusion of resentment politics and social contract theory.

Plus no building is no important than the Capitol. That's just sacred. You don't touch that.

It's great when the neolibs' masks slip just enough that you can plainly see that their true fidelity is to mere physical presentations of state power (i.e., literal buildings) and other objects, lol.  Power resides in people, not buildings.  If the U.S. Capitol ever becomes a symbol of a system of civil government that does not serve the best interests of the people, then it will deserve to be burned to the ground.

Like I said, if Joe Biden had any balls (like I wish he did), he would be declaring provisional government and martial law tonight.  Would he, if successful, destory the system of government that keeps Republicans artifically in power?  Probably yes, but that's the price that has to be paid to reconstitute our belief in a government that works for "the majority" (defined however the mob wishes.)  This isn't a Republican or Democrat thing, it's a matter of renewing our right to self-determination and refreshing the civil state (which really hasn't been seriously updated since the New Deal/WWII.)     

The system is broken and it needs to be rebuilt from the ground-up. I don't care who sparks it, but this is actually a moment for the disenfranchised and the cynics on both the left and right to retake the country for ourselves.

That the mob, as some sort of reward for their actions, should be allowed to dictate exactly how a new American system of government will work. Saying that a few thousand violent extremists should be allowed to impose their agenda unilaterally on the rest of the country? That’s not clever, sophisticated or intellectual. It’s just straight up moronic.

Not only that, but he's also basically arguing for absolute majoritarian rule with no protections for the political minority. No procedure, no constitution, just mob rule. That's how liberalism dies. Plus his (and Scott's) take that the system is fundamentally broken and that we should welcome violence as an opportunity for revolution is just dumb.
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #29 on: January 12, 2021, 02:47:19 PM »

Not only that, but he's also basically arguing for absolute majoritarian rule with no protections for the political minority. No procedure, no constitution, just mob rule. That's how liberalism dies. Plus his (and Scott's) take that the system is fundamentally broken and that we should welcome violence as an opportunity for revolution is just dumb.

Liberalism Dies In Darkness

(if I recall correctly you are a fan of the Washington Post right?)
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #30 on: January 12, 2021, 02:48:10 PM »

It is my go-to news source, yes.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #31 on: January 12, 2021, 02:50:51 PM »

It is my go-to news source, yes.

f**king puke-worthy.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #32 on: January 12, 2021, 03:15:26 PM »

That the mob, as some sort of reward for their actions, should be allowed to dictate exactly how a new American system of government will work. Saying that a few thousand violent extremists should be able to impose their agenda unilaterally on the rest of the country? That’s not clever, sophisticated or intellectual. It’s just straight up moronic.

Oclocracy is definitely moronic, but I don't see why it can't be sophisticated and intellectual as well.

This particular example comes across as someone so desperately trying to be contrarian and defend the indefensible that they end up with an argument that is completely intellectually incoherent. More broadly, Del Tachi frequently engages in sophistry, which while it can be appear to be clever and sophisticated, is ultimately totally intellectually vacuous.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #33 on: January 12, 2021, 07:20:58 PM »

I will commit one of Atlas' cardinal sins and post in my own "opinion of" thread.

FWIW, the "mob" I was referring to in my post was not the mob breeching the Capitol but a more abstract "mob" representing the prevailing majoritarian opinion.  Last week's aimless, selfie-taking group of rioters never seriously threatened to decapitate our system of Constitutional government.  For that to have happened, it would have taken something quite more spectacular:  contemporaneous uprisings around the country, a military/LEO "stand down," inaction on the part of our NATO allies, etc.  We never even approached that point; not even the same universe, even.

But...play with the thought experiment I posited in the Capitol riot thread.  What if Biden went on national TV after the riots and said "These are dangerous insurrectionists.  The current president empowered them.  I have a popular mandate.  I will assume power immediately.  I ask the military, Federal bureaucracies and American people to support me."  If the outcome is most Americans and the armed forces recognizing Biden's authority...then who really is "the mob" in that situation? 

Political power is an amorphous thing.  It cannot inhabit marble columns or 230-year old scraps of paper (which is why all the "Oh!  Not our CaPiToL" pearl-clutching was so off-putting.)  Political power can only reside within "the fickle crowd"; our civil institutions only persist because enough people do not try to physically overrun them, if it ever becomes *not enough then these institutions are deserving of being replaced, perhaps even violently. 
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #34 on: January 12, 2021, 08:35:10 PM »

I will commit one of Atlas' cardinal sins and post in my own "opinion of" thread.

FWIW, the "mob" I was referring to in my post was not the mob breeching the Capitol but a more abstract "mob" representing the prevailing majoritarian opinion.  Last week's aimless, selfie-taking group of rioters never seriously threatened to decapitate our system of Constitutional government.  For that to have happened, it would have taken something quite more spectacular:  contemporaneous uprisings around the country, a military/LEO "stand down," inaction on the part of our NATO allies, etc.  We never even approached that point; not even the same universe, even.

But...play with the thought experiment I posited in the Capitol riot thread.  What if Biden went on national TV after the riots and said "These are dangerous insurrectionists.  The current president empowered them.  I have a popular mandate.  I will assume power immediately.  I ask the military, Federal bureaucracies and American people to support me."  If the outcome is most Americans and the armed forces recognizing Biden's authority...then who really is "the mob" in that situation? 

Political power is an amorphous thing.  It cannot inhabit marble columns or 230-year old scraps of paper (which is why all the "Oh!  Not our CaPiToL" pearl-clutching was so off-putting.)  Political power can only reside within "the fickle crowd"; our civil institutions only persist because enough people do not try to physically overrun them, if it ever becomes *not enough then these institutions are deserving of being replaced, perhaps even violently. 

The outcome would be chaos of the highest level, and shifting the attention from the ongoing economic and pandemic crisis which still is tearing through this country, and towards absolute mayhem.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #35 on: January 12, 2021, 10:29:58 PM »

The reaction against him is a striking illustration of how much the Overton window has narrowed on this forum compared to where it used to be.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #36 on: January 12, 2021, 11:33:56 PM »

The reaction against him is a striking illustration of how much the Overton window has narrowed on this forum compared to where it used to be.

Lol. And for those of us in reality...
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #37 on: January 12, 2021, 11:57:58 PM »

Thank you for essentially confirming every criticism leveled of you in this thread.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #38 on: January 13, 2021, 04:43:01 PM »

You've been here barely a year.
SevenEleven
Junior Chimp

« Reply #39 on: January 13, 2021, 07:31:43 PM »

That's not my point. The Overton window is a myth.
Хahar 🤔
Xahar
Atlas Legend
Bangladesh

Political Matrix
E: -6.77, S: 0.61

« Reply #40 on: January 13, 2021, 07:57:46 PM »

The older I get, the less interest I have in talking about politics with people whose views are fundamentally out of alignment with mine. I suspect this is true of many people.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #41 on: January 13, 2021, 08:33:12 PM »

The older I get, the less interest I have in talking about politics with people whose views are fundamentally out of alignment with mine. I suspect this is true of many people.

B O O M E R !!!
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix

« Reply #42 on: January 13, 2021, 09:07:53 PM »

That's not my point. The Overton window is a myth.

wut?  lmao
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #43 on: January 13, 2021, 11:13:28 PM »

That’s not a good thing, especially since our Congress is mostly above 80. Well, feels like that at least.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #44 on: January 13, 2021, 11:18:22 PM »

HP for voting for shrill neoliberal Hillary Clinton.
Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #45 on: January 14, 2021, 06:40:32 AM »

That’s not a good thing, especially since our Congress is mostly above 80. Well, feels like that at least.

Debate almost never changes the mind of anyone who wasn’t uncommitted on the issue beforehand.

Anyway, FF.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #46 on: January 14, 2021, 06:51:31 AM »

It's kind of sad. With each passing year, the share of interesting posters declines on favour of indistinguishable D-Big State avatars all posting the same generic centre left takes.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #47 on: January 20, 2021, 02:21:12 PM »

I dissent!

DC, TJ, RI, John Dule, RINO Tom, Deadman, and a number of serious rightists on this forum are just as prominent as ever. To pretend that there’s been some drastic shift there is nonsense.

Del Tachi is a provocateur, and, unlike conservative provocateur Jordan Peterson, I have not seen these intellectually redeeming qualities. Every serious discussion I have had with him on his hot takes, he dodges question after question. I remain hopeful that this will change in the future, but I think the defense of him here is not entirely warranted.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #48 on: January 20, 2021, 02:50:29 PM »

I dissent!

DC, TJ, RI, John Dule, RINO Tom, Deadman, and a number of serious rightists on this forum are just as prominent as ever. To pretend that there’s been some drastic shift there is nonsense.

Del Tachi is a provocateur, and, unlike conservative provocateur Jordan Peterson, I have not seen these intellectually redeeming qualities. Every serious discussion I have had with him on his hot takes, he dodges question after question. I remain hopeful that this will change in the future, but I think the defense of him here is not entirely warranted.

You believe Jordan Peterson has redeeming intellectual qualities?  Lmao
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #49 on: January 20, 2021, 04:30:13 PM »

You believe Jordan Peterson has redeeming intellectual qualities?
Maps of Meaning is a decent academic book. It’s not quite The Hero with a Thousand Faces, but it’s certainly of a caliber one would expect from a Harvard professor. As far as his self help book, though I grant that its effect is predominantly placebo in nature, it has been helpful to millions of people - something its critics can hardly claim.

You, too, may possess interesting ideas behind sophistry. I don’t know because I never have gotten past that.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies