Would you take this bargain?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 20, 2024, 04:23:54 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Would you take this bargain?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Please indicate whether you would take this bargain.  Select the option based on your party affiliation.
Yes (D)

Yes (R)

Yes (I/other)

No (D)

No (R)

No (I/other)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Would you take this bargain?  (Read 1685 times)
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2021, 01:50:24 PM »

Suppose the following bargain was proposed:

1. Democrats drop all efforts to impeach President Trump.

2. Every Republican and/or right-wing figure who has promoted the narrative that the election has been stolen publicly acknowledges that Joe Biden won a free and fair election, and urges their followers to accept this. This means every one without exception, including but not limited to: Trump, his children, his staff, the RNC, Republican politicians in Congress and state legislatures, and all on-air personalities at Fox, Newsmax, and OANN.

Would you take it?
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 01:56:16 PM »

No, as this would mean not only letting Trump and his craven followers in Congress off the hook and evading accountability for their actions and words, it would set a horrible precedent for future presidents who may want to turn our country into an authoritarian dystopia like Trump aspired to do.  I do not want to lose this democracy merely so we can 'move along to get along'. 
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 01:57:32 PM »

No, for several reasons.

1. I would not trust the Republicans to hold up their end of the bargain.

2. They can't just get away with it by making a fake apology.

3. We don't negotiate with terrorists.

4. It would make Democrats look weak.
Absentee Voting Ghost of Ruin
Runeghost
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: January 10, 2021, 01:58:37 PM »

No.

Absolutely not.

The United States of America cannot allow the message of Donald Trump's failed coup to be, "If you try to seize power and fail, you can say you're sorry and walk away". Cannot. We won't have a Republic left. Donald Trump and his enablers need to be seen to face the full weight of our system of justice. Anything less and we are finished as a nation.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #4 on: January 10, 2021, 02:07:47 PM »

Yes, in the magic unicorn universe this scenario would actually work.

Otherwise, no. Because many would not honor the deal.
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #5 on: January 10, 2021, 05:59:34 PM »

Trump needs to be held accountable. He did so many wrong things. If not now, then when?
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix
E: 2.71, S: -6.09

« Reply #6 on: January 10, 2021, 06:03:45 PM »

Yes, because it's the best possible outcome which will shatter the alternate reality some of the Trump supporters live in.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #7 on: January 10, 2021, 06:08:04 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2021, 06:13:37 PM by LVScreenssuck »

No, Trump and co can’t walk away from this with a ‘my bad’.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2021, 06:14:36 PM »

No, Trump and do can’t walk away from this with a ‘my bad’.

But you do get to save a large number of misguided people. Isn't it worth forgiving Trump?
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2021, 06:22:33 PM »

But you do get to save a large number of misguided people. Isn't it worth forgiving Trump?

I think they're too far gone at this point. The people that are still 100% on board with Trump's message will simply turn on anybody who acknowledges Biden's win.
Ljube
Junior Chimp
Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2021, 06:23:35 PM »

I think they're too far gone at this point. The people that are still 100% on board with Trump's message will simply turn on anybody who acknowledges Biden's win.

Even on Trump himself?
Hermit For Peace
hermit
Junior Chimp

« Reply #11 on: January 10, 2021, 06:23:48 PM »

No because Trump is singlehandedly responsible for thousands and thousands of people "mishearing" his messages. He seems to be the only one who can set them straight by telling the truth, but he won't, because he doesn't know what the truth is. F Trump. His followers are going to have to come around after they continue getting pounded by law enforcement, politicians, and REALITY. Let them learn the hard way.
H.E. VOLODYMYR ZELENKSYY
Alfred F. Jones
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2021, 06:30:17 PM »

This implicitly assumes that Trumpists wouldn’t declare each and every one of those people a RINO.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2021, 06:30:52 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2021, 06:46:20 PM by Virginia Yellow Dog »

The rich and powerful already think they are above the law, and that they can't be held accountable because of people who want to forgive and forget.  I am done with all that.  We made the mistake in the early months of the Obama administration by not holding accountable the bankers and financiers who made the financial crisis happen.  I am not about to compound that initial mistake by giving Trump the legal equivalent of a mere slap on the wrist and a light spanking.  The 'party of personal responsibility' needs to live up to its rhetoric for once, and hold Trump (and all those who enabled him) accountable to ensure that no future president would be tempted to follow in his footsteps and succeed where he had failed.  We cannot move on until they do.  
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #14 on: January 10, 2021, 06:35:22 PM »

Yes, absolutely. If every single Republican with any power including Trump himself strongly and sincerely condemned the actions of the Capitol mob and Trump's previous actions and statements about a "rigged election" and acknowledged Biden as the true winner, it would be a huge step toward creating a relatively sane, non-authoritarian, right-wing political party in the United States. The most important players on here are the Trump die-hards in Congress and state legislatures, right-wing "news" outlets like Fox and OANN, and Trump himself. I think if these last three apologized and acknowledged Biden's victory, all but Trump's most fanatical supporters would calm down and stop thinking the election was rigged. Obviously this scenario won't happen, but the current state of politics would be better if it did.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 10, 2021, 06:51:09 PM »

Even on Trump himself?

There were already people starting to turn on him when he acknowledged he wouldn't be serving a second term.
KoopaDaQuick 🇵🇸
KoopaDaQuick
Moderators
Junior Chimp
Anguilla

Political Matrix
E: -8.50, S: -5.74

« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2021, 06:51:56 PM »

No, obviously. Trump needs to be impeached, I don't care about Republicans being salty. Trump needs to be impeached and criminalized.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2021, 07:31:53 PM »

No. This accomplishes nothing and means nothing. It needs to take more than that for Republicans to be forgiven-I'm not even sure that they should ever be. We can't trust the party that helped fuel the insurrection over the course of many years. Even if Trump isn't going to be actually removed via conviction or the 25th Amendment there have to be consequences as part of a precedent.
AZDem
Rookie

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2021, 07:39:32 PM »

Suppose the following bargain was proposed:

1. Democrats drop all efforts to impeach President Trump.

2. Every Republican and/or right-wing figure who has promoted the narrative that the election has been stolen publicly acknowledges that Joe Biden won a free and fair election, and urges their followers to accept this. This means every one without exception, including but not limited to: Trump, his children, his staff, the RNC, Republican politicians in Congress and state legislatures, and all on-air personalities at Fox, Newsmax, and OANN.

Would you take it?

Absolutely not. As more video comes out and we see more and more people advocating for more violence, simple apologies are not acceptable.

Anyone involved directly or indirectly must be made to suffer severe consequences for what happened: resignation, prosecution, jail, etc.

We still don't know if more is yet to come. Parler is completely unhinged today with folks calling for even more violence and the execution of elected leaders.

I just heard and Pelosi is that starting tomorrow Pelosi is giving Pence 24hrs. to make a decision on the 25th. If he doesn't, impeachment proceeding begin Tuesday.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2021, 08:25:36 PM »

2 would never happen, so it's not really worth contemplating.
PeteB
Canada

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2021, 09:28:03 PM »

Yes, as long as there is no pardon involved and all legal action against Trump and his supporters can continue.  Unfortunately neither side will go for this.  Trump will want a full pardon and immunity for him and his family and key people, not just avoiding impeachment.  On the other hand some of the Democrats are more obsessed with punishing Trump than with analyzing and stopping future wanna-be-Trumps, so they would turn down everything, even if it meant danger to public safety and the state of union.

So, the short answer is I voted yes, but it won't happen.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies