Chips Reviews Video Games
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 05:02:40 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Off-topic Board (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, The Mikado, YE)
  Chips Reviews Video Games
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Chips Reviews Video Games  (Read 240 times)
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 10, 2021, 10:43:06 AM »

You may or may not know this, But video games are my biggest hobby aside from electoral maps/geography. I love video games. I have a decent collection too.

I figured I'd do something new. Review and give my thoughts on a wide variety of video games.

Later, I'm going to do a review of Super Mario Bros. (1985)

A well loved classic by many and I'm sure at least one of you have played it before.
bagelman
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -4.17

P P P
« Reply #1 on: January 10, 2021, 10:55:02 AM »

The original Mario is well before my time. I was stupid enough to buy it on the Nintendo Wii shop and found it unfair how it sent you back to start whenever you died on level 2+.
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 11:31:42 AM »

Chips Reviews: Super Mario Bros. for the NES

Perhaps the most classic video game of all time. This game kicked off the most successful video game franchise of all time.

Do I like the game?

Heck yes! This game is still great even after 35 years. There are some flaws of course. Like how if you lose all your lives in a later world, You go all the way back to World 1 if you get a Game Over. You can use Warp Zones found in a few levels to make the game easier and shorter.

This game introduces many elements that we see in Mario games today. Such as the Fire Flower which lets you shoot fireballs at foes, the simple Mushroom which lets Mario grow and take one hit point. Or the glorious Starman which makes Mario invincible and defeat most enemies in his path for a limited amount of time. The goal of each level is to make it to the end within a time limit and loads of enemies like the simple Goombas and the shell-wielding Koopa-Troopas or hazards like lava and bottomless pits you have to jump over. There are 8 worlds with 4 levels each giving you 32 levels to explore. This game looks simple but you can still find a lot of secrets. Often you can find hidden 1-Up mushrooms which as expected gives you an extra life when consumed. You also get extra lives when getting 100 coins. Your coins from the last level carries over and when you get 100, You get an extra life. Rarely, You can get 1-ups from stomping over a string of enemies in a row without touching the ground. You can also find hidden areas with bonuses or Warp Zones which let you advance several worlds.

I love this game and have played through it recently. It'll always be a great time no matter how old it is and it's a game I can recommend to anyone. Especially if they've never played any Mario games.

RATING: 8/10
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2021, 03:37:41 PM »

Chips Reviews: Super Mario Bros.: The Lost Levels for the Famicom

This game is like the original Super Mario Bros. aside from one tiny difference....

THIS GAME IS SUPER HARD!

Yes, This game is infamous for being very, very difficult. The game often puts power-ups in near-impossible positions, The game tries to give you a poison mushroom at the start of the first level (which will kill you instantly or shrink you if you're big) and all sorts of other annoyances like more annoying enemy placements.

That said, It's a decent game and completing it feels great but if you decide to play the game, prepare for lots of tears, sweat and agony.

RATING: 6/10
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4 on: January 11, 2021, 07:42:39 PM »

This game is like the original Super Mario Bros. aside from one tiny difference....

THIS GAME IS SUPER HARD!

Yes, This game is infamous for being very, very difficult. The game often puts power-ups in near-impossible positions, The game tries to give you a poison mushroom at the start of the first level (which will kill you instantly or shrink you if you're big) and all sorts of other annoyances like more annoying enemy placements.

That said, It's a decent game and completing it feels great but if you decide to play the game, prepare for lots of tears, sweat and agony.

Wasn't the difficulty of the game why it was replaced with a Doki Doki Panic re-skin here in the United States?
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2021, 12:02:22 AM »

THIS GAME IS SUPER HARD!

Wasn't the difficulty of the game why it was replaced with a Doki Doki Panic re-skin here in the United States?

Yep. I'm reviewing Super Mario Bros. 2 next.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies