Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.*** (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 10:40:42 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.*** (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***  (Read 103756 times)
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.52

« on: January 19, 2021, 05:05:55 PM »

I don't see Austin getting through on the waiver.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 06:16:06 PM »

NAYS (Austin Waiver):
Cotton
Blumenthal
Rubio
Scott (FL)

Duckworth
Young
Marshall
Collins

Van Hollen
Warren
Markey

Hawley
Tester
Sasse
Cortez Masto
Rosen
Booker
Gillibrand
Wyden
Merkley

Toomey
Blackburn
Lee

Murray
Baldwin

Barrasso
Lummus

Absolutely fascinating list. Kinda surprised Sanders isn't one of the nays
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #2 on: February 22, 2021, 11:55:37 AM »

This is the problem with some people on the left. Just because someone is a "person of color" or a "woman" - that doesn't absolve them from criticism or opposition. Also, the opposition to Neera Tanden is NOT because she's a "woman of color".

Biden's pick to be Deputy OMB Director is Shalanda Young - she's a Black woman. For all intents and purposes, she's qualified and doesn't have the mean tweets history that Tanden does. Biden should nominate Young to be OMB Director instead.

Eh, I think it's a bit more nuanced than that. It isn't that they're absolved of criticism or opposition -- I think it's that they want to be able to have a level playing field. In other words, lots of folks believe that a woman should be allowed to do all the female equivalent of things that Trump did and largely get away with it, whereas obviously that would never happen.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #3 on: February 22, 2021, 02:26:45 PM »

Eh, I think it's a bit more nuanced than that. It isn't that they're absolved of criticism or opposition -- I think it's that they want to be able to have a level playing field. In other words, lots of folks believe that a woman should be allowed to do all the female equivalent of things that Trump did and largely get away with it, whereas obviously that would never happen.
I'm a Black man in America, so I know that there's not a level playing field. However, many of the people who have been angered by Manchin/Collins/Romney opposition to Tanden have basically said "Oh, it must be because she's a POC/woman, that's why they are opposed to her". That's very reductive and obviously false.

I agree that this doesn't tell the story most of the time but does contribute to some of the vitriol toward her. Being "nice on Twitter" is seen as a positive largely only for one side of the aisle at the moment.
Citizen (The) Doctor
ArchangelZero
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: May 05, 2021, 12:13:45 AM »

Once again, not technically a Cabinet pick but an excellent appointment nonetheless:

Amazing choice.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies