Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.*** (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:03:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.*** (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***  (Read 103657 times)
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« on: February 03, 2021, 03:55:47 PM »
« edited: February 03, 2021, 04:02:38 PM by lfromnj »

Cardona's confirmation is now being intensified as Cardona has defended the CT policy for transgender girls to compete in girls sports.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2021/02/03/rand-paul-repeatedly-questions-education-nominee-on-boys-competing-with-girls-in-sports/?sh=13dd3d714031

Personally  I don't really have much here.

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #1 on: February 03, 2021, 04:19:56 PM »

Cardona's confirmation is now being intensified as Cardona has defended the CT policy for transgender girls to compete in girls sports.
https://www.forbes.com/sites/jemimamcevoy/2021/02/03/rand-paul-repeatedly-questions-education-nominee-on-boys-competing-with-girls-in-sports/?sh=13dd3d714031

Personally  I don't really have much here.

I kind of agree with Rand Paul here (I need to now go and throw up after saying that), but it is a tricky subject. I don't want trans girls to have an unfair advantage because they are physically stronger because they were assigned male at birth. At the same time, however, it is probably unfair for them to compete against those biologically male (I can no trouble with trans boys competing against those that are biologically male if they choose to do so). I have also noticed that the research is mixed on this and to be honest, there is no good answer.

IIRC the CT scenario did not involve any steps for the two girls to actually transition at a physical level.

Also Romney has joined in on the questioning and has lost all the #resistance goodwill Tongue

This could be the closest vote although it will still certainly pass.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: February 03, 2021, 04:35:51 PM »

This could be the closest vote although it will still certainly pass.

If I recall, Education Secretary was also the closest nomination fight in the Trump administration. Murkowski and Collins broke ranks and voted no, leaving Pence to break the 50-50 tie - the first Cabinet tiebreaker vote in history if I remember correctly.

Any indication it's heading in that direction, or will Cardona end up picking up enough GOP support to get through comfortably?

No theres still a pretty decent chance he gets through at the usual 85-15, just found this interesting.

And yes Devos sadly was the most opposed due to the hate teacher unions have for her Sad
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2021, 12:33:31 AM »

Instead of calling out Tanden for spreading Russian hackers conspiracy theories, the brilliant senate GOP is going after her for placing "Mean tweets"

lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2021, 11:25:14 AM »

Tom, typically the dogwhistles are intended to go over the heads of the liberals.

The implication behind Cotton's question is that supporting "racial equity" as opposed to "racial equality" means discrimination but woke.   Just in case that wasn't clear from the snippet or people aren't familiar with the debate on this.
No, racial equity is "when institutions give equal opportunities to people of all races. In other words, the structures, systems, practices and cultural narratives in society provide true situational fairness and equal opportunity for everyone regardless of their ethnicity or race". Currently, that is not the case in American society.
Nope Harris defined it as equal outcome. Then Biden started using it more. Pretty obvious what it means.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2021, 12:25:26 PM »

Nope Harris defined it as equal outcome. Then Biden started using it more. Pretty obvious what it means.
I don't know what you're referring to or talking about. Anyways, racial equity isn't a bad thing - it's what's needed in America.

"Equitable treatment means we all end up at the same place"

Its such a pity Cultural Marxism has such anti-semitic tones because there needs to be a similar word for this.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2021, 12:26:46 PM »

I don't know what you're referring to or talking about. Anyways, racial equity isn't a bad thing - it's what's needed in America.

Okay, I guess I have to spell this out.

Conservative and libertarian thought tends to make a distinction between "equality of opportunity", which most people support, and "equality of outcome", which is controversial because it involves (or is perceived to involve) a certain amount of "positive discrimination" in favor of people or groups that are perceived to have a more disadvantageous starting position. The way progressives talk about equity sets a lot of center-right-to-right people off because it's perceived to indicate a desire to force better outcomes for some groups (which tend to be core Democratic constituencies) at the--again, perceived--expense of others. Add to this the general conservative distrust for specialized language and jargon--or, at least, for jargon that isn't conservative jargon--and you have a widespread lack of openness to the concept among people who don't already believe in it.
Yeah, I know all of that. My statement was referring to his comment about remarks from Kamala defining racial equity and "Biden started using it more". I don't know what he's talking about.

Anyways, regardless, it's just more consternating from conservatives. Meh.

And of course you ignore my post above despite it being a direct quote from Kamala Harris.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #7 on: March 24, 2021, 08:19:50 AM »

6.8% of the total U.S. population is AAPI. There are 25 members of the Biden Cabinet: 2 of said members - the VP & the USTR (who's a member of the Cabinet as it's currently constituted because, yes, Cabinet-level counts) - are AAPI, meaning 8% of the Biden Cabinet is AAPI. Biden pledged to appoint a Cabinet that "looked like America." What's the issue here?

Also People need to be looking at CVAP and not total pop
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies