Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 07:24:11 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 83
Author Topic: Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***  (Read 103660 times)
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: February 25, 2021, 02:06:55 PM »

Whoops! How can I forget him? It's now fixed.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #676 on: February 25, 2021, 03:03:14 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2021, 03:06:39 PM by AndyHogan14 »

They won't be doing anything tomorrow. Must be nice to have so many three-day weekends. 🙄
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #677 on: February 25, 2021, 03:24:18 PM »

They won't be doing anything tomorrow. Must be nice to have so many three-day weekends. 🙄

WTF, why are they wasting a whole day?
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #678 on: February 25, 2021, 03:43:59 PM »

I agree they should stick by her. Force the Republicans & Manchin to vote her down.

Agreed. Has the added effect of giving us a recent ironclad case to point to of Manchin voting against the party line in a meaningful way and makes his persistent disloyalty clearer than ever.

You're both really overestimating the extent to which your typical Democratic-partisan-on-the-street cares about the Office of Management and Budget.

I don't think they care about it at all, but I don't think that obviates either of our points.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #679 on: February 25, 2021, 03:50:09 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2021, 04:04:03 PM by AndyHogan14 »

I have no idea. I know the Senate often likes to take Fridays off, but it's not like it is required or a scheduled day off (as far as I can tell on the calendar) so there's no reason that I can gather why they couldn't be in session tomorrow.

All I know is that I just called the offices of both Feinstein and Padilla complaining about it! Ha!
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #680 on: February 25, 2021, 04:13:51 PM »

Politicians are generally an overpaid, lazy folk.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #681 on: February 25, 2021, 05:50:19 PM »
« Edited: February 25, 2021, 06:51:50 PM by We Made PA Blue Again! »

Granholm was confirmed 64-35 and voting on the cloture motion for Cardona is going on now.

The NAYS for Granholm were:
Capito (R-WV)

This was Capito's first No vote.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #682 on: February 25, 2021, 08:16:35 PM »

MEAN TWEETS  AREN'T  DISQUALIFYING  EXCEPT  WHEN  THEY'RE  TARGETING  ME

It's nothing more than the typical Republican way of mentally processing things.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #683 on: February 26, 2021, 01:04:15 AM »

UPDATED SCHEDULE:
March 1
1:00pm • Garland (Committee Vote; Judiciary)
5:30pm • Cardona (Senate Vote)
Raimondo (Cloture) immediately following the Cardona vote

March 2
Possible/Expected Votes (not confirmed):
TBA • Raimondo (Senate Vote)
TBA • Rouse (Cloture)

March 3
Possible/Expected Votes (not confirmed):
TBA • Rouse (Senate Vote)

Non-Cabinet-Level
Gensler/Chopra (Banking Hearing, 3/2 at 10am)
Mallory/McCabe (Environment Hearing, 3/3 at 10am)
Trottenberg (Commerce Hearing, 3/3 at 10am)
Young (Budget Hearing, 3/3 at 11am)
Turk (Energy Hearing, 3/4 at 10am)
Young (HSGAC Hearing, 3/3 at 10:15am)
Monaco (Judiciary Hearing, 3/9 at 9am)

Confirmed
Blinken, Yellen, Austin, Vilsack, Buttigieg, Granholm, McDonough, Mayorkas, Haines, Thomas-Greenfield

Awaiting Full Senate Vote
Cardona (3/1), Raimondo (3/1; Cloture • Final; 3/2), Fudge (TBA), Walsh (TBA), Cardona (TBA), Rouse (TBA • Cloture; 3/2 • Final; 3/3), Regan (TBA), Guzman (TBA)

Awaiting Committee Vote
Garland (3/1), Haaland (TBA), Becerra (TBA; HELP), Becerra (TBA; Finance), Tanden (TBA; HSGAC), Tanden (TBA; Budget), Tai (TBA)

Awaiting Committee Hearing
None

Committee Hearings Not Yet Scheduled
Lander

The Senate is taking a three-day weekend (ugh) so there will be no votes tomorrow (2/26). The final vote on Cardona will be on Monday and it will be immediately followed by a cloture vote for Raimondo. It can be easily assumed that her final Senate vote will be Tuesday. Rouse is likely next and I would guess that Garland will probably move ahead of everyone else once he clears committee on Monday. Today, Granholm was confirmed (and sworn in) with a 64-35 vote and cloture was invoked for Cardona with a 66-32 vote.

NOTE: I have added in my best guesses for some of the full Senate cloture/final votes. They are in italics.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

« Reply #684 on: February 26, 2021, 04:00:38 PM »

Sasse went after Beccera hard in his questioning the other day. 

I am wondering if these issues will be a problem for Manchin's support.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #685 on: February 26, 2021, 04:20:52 PM »

Seems pretty unlikely
LtNOWIS

« Reply #686 on: February 26, 2021, 07:01:29 PM »

Politicians are generally an overpaid, lazy folk.
Running for Congress would be grueling. I don't mind spending 4 hours on the phone for my job on occasion but to do that day in and day out begging for money, while also campaigning for office every other year, while also having to represent the party, do votes, do committee work, and run a staff, would be way harder than I would ever want to work.

Also the pay is not that high compared to the amount of responsibility they have. Most of them could make more if they quit and became lobbyists. That's why they call it "cashing out." Between the comparatively low pay, the need for campaign cash, and the idea that you could run and lose and have nothing to show for a year of your time on the trail, it's no surprise that there are so many already wealthy people who run for office.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #687 on: February 26, 2021, 07:17:45 PM »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kCCOAwR8d8g

Seems pretty unlikely

And not for nothing, but during one of his hearings, Tuberville made a reference to "when" he's confirmed - not "if" - & Murkowski asked him to visit AK early in his tenure, as if the potential for his nomination to fail wasn't even a possibility.

If the Senate already admits that he's going to get confirmed, then he obviously has the numbers to get confirmed.
Attorney General, LGC Speaker, and Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

« Reply #688 on: February 27, 2021, 01:12:37 PM »

Judiciary: Hearing on Monaco for Deputy Attorney General and Gupta for Associate Attorney General on March 9
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #689 on: March 01, 2021, 01:38:22 PM »

The Senate Judiciary Committee votes 15-7 to send the nomination of Merrick Garland to be the next attorney general to the full Senate. Republican Senators Cotton, Kennedy, Lee, Blackburn, Hawley, Sasse and Cruz voted “No.”
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #690 on: March 01, 2021, 02:53:48 PM »

The Senate Judiciary Committee votes 15-7 to send the nomination of Merrick Garland to be the next attorney general to the full Senate. Republican Senators Cotton, Kennedy, Lee, Blackburn, Hawley, Sasse and Cruz voted “No.”

About damn time. And of course the worst members of the Republican conference vote No on a highly qualified nominee whose integrity is out of question.
Yoda
United States

« Reply #691 on: March 01, 2021, 03:55:23 PM »

Simply inexplicable on republicans' part how they can vote no on Garland, who is possibly the least controversial and most qualified of all of Biden's nominees, and arguably the most qualified AG nominee ever. These clowns voted yes on Barr. Just remember this the next time anyone suggests we should deal with the likes of Cotton, Hawley, Cruz, Blackburn, etc in good faith.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #692 on: March 01, 2021, 05:18:45 PM »

Simply inexplicable on republicans' part how they can vote no on Garland, who is possibly the least controversial and most qualified of all of Biden's nominees, and arguably the most qualified AG nominee ever. These clowns voted yes on Barr. Just remember this the next time anyone suggests we should deal with the likes of Cotton, Hawley, Cruz, Blackburn, etc in good faith.

Hawley has voted against every single Biden nominee, while Lee and Cruz have only voted for one each, to my knowledge. So it's not surprising to see them continuing this pattern of behavior. Nominations in all fields have become much more partisan than they used to be. Not one of Biden's nominees has received a unanimous confirmation thus far.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #693 on: March 01, 2021, 05:32:26 PM »

Hawley has voted against every single Biden nominee, while Lee and Cruz have only voted for one each, to my knowledge. So it's not surprising to see them continuing this pattern of behavior. Nominations in all fields have become much more partisan than they used to be. Not one of Biden's nominees has received a unanimous confirmation thus far.
Technically, Deputy Defense Secretary Kathleen Hicks did. It was a voice vote - so there was no recorded roll call vote. But no Senator objected, so it's essentially unanimous.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #694 on: March 01, 2021, 05:33:42 PM »

Lee actually voted in favor of Vilsack, Buttigieg, McDonough and Thomas-Greenfield. On the Republican side only Josh Hawley opposed all nominees, Cruz voted only for Austin and Rick Scott only voted for Haines and Austin. Other senators voted in favor for at least 3 nominees
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #695 on: March 01, 2021, 05:37:40 PM »

Voting has begun on the Cardona nomination.
South Dakota Democrat
jrk26

« Reply #696 on: March 01, 2021, 06:13:55 PM »

Voting has begun on the Cardona nomination.

Confirmed 64-33
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #697 on: March 01, 2021, 06:15:06 PM »

Cardona has been confirmed 64-33. All Democrats voted yea with 14 Republicans, 3 did not vote. The vote to invoke cloture on Raimondo is next.

Republican Yeas (14):
Murkowski (AK)
Rubio (FL)
Grassley (IA)
McConnell (KY)
Cassidy (LA)
Collins (ME)
Fischer (NE)
Burr (NC)
Tillis (NC)
Portman (OH)
Cornyn (TX)
Romney (UT)
Capito (WV)
Johnson (WI)

Democratic Nays (0):
None

Not Voting (3):
Moran (KS)
Blunt (MO)
Blackburn (TN)
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix

« Reply #698 on: March 01, 2021, 06:41:36 PM »
« Edited: March 01, 2021, 06:57:34 PM by AndyHogan14 »

Cloture has been invoked for Raimondo, 84-15. All Democrats voted yea with most Republicans voting yea as well. There were 15 Republican nays and 1 not voting.

Democratic Nays (0):
None

Republican Nays (15):
Shelby (AL)
Tuberville (AL)
Cotton (AR)
Rubio (FL)
Scott (FL)
Kennedy (LA)
Hawley (MO)
Sasse (NE)
Hoeven (ND)
Cramer (ND)
Scott (SC)
Hagerty (TN)
Cruz (TX)
Barrasso (WY)
Lummus (WY)

Not Voting (1):
Blackburn (TN)

EDIT: Two roll call votes have been scheduled for tomorrow. At 2:15pm, Raimondo will have her final vote and immediately following that, there will be a cloture vote on Rouse.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #699 on: March 01, 2021, 07:09:04 PM »

About damn time. And of course the worst members of the Republican conference vote No on a highly qualified nominee whose integrity is out of question.

Sasse voting no is a bit of a surprise though.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 83  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies