Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:55:59 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 76 77 78 79 80 [81] 82 83
Author Topic: Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***  (Read 103853 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2000 on: February 01, 2024, 03:31:06 PM »

Leader Schumer filed cloture on Executive Calendar #486 Kurt Campbell to be Deputy Secretary of State.
Leader Schumer filed cloture on Executive Calendar #473 Amy M. Baggio to be United States District Judge for the District of Oregon.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -9.22

P P
« Reply #2001 on: February 03, 2024, 06:36:21 PM »

Honestly it feels like the pendulum is swinging back towards blue slips being a thing for circuits. Some of Trump's later circuit court nominees, including nominees in OR and CT, involved clear consultation with home state senators. Durbin did a few despite blue slip issues (Mathis, Bloomkatz, Freeman) but clearly has institutionalist leanings and isn't enthusiastic about doing it. The committee has talked about formally reinstating the blue slip requirement post 2024.

And really, there are solid reasons behind the blue slip, chief being that without it, there's nothing stopping a president and a friendly senate majority from giving all ninth circuit seats to CA, or all third circuit seats to NJ, etc. Certain senators couldn't resist steeping away from it for a time, and certainly Mathis was a way to "get even" with that, but it's good for the institution that people are getting cold feet and taking a few steps back from the brink.

As far as the remaining circuit court vacancies, time is short. Aside from a lame duck nominee, Even McConnell didn't confirm anyone nominated later than early may.

Generally, any POTUS is going to want to work in good faith with Senators of both parties (and that's especially true of someone like Joe Biden). I'm not opposed to consultation with the home state Senators. (It was also my understanding that the seats are reserved for each state as a matter of law. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.) Making deals and compromising are healthy for the institutions and the country. What I strongly oppose is allowing a single Senator to veto nominations. When it comes to some (and I'd look to those like Cotton, Hawley, and Tuberville, among others), that effectively means the President will be denied any judicial nominations for that state. That is not healthy either for the Senate or, especially and in particular, the judiciary. That's also why I singled out the Tennessee seats. At the very least, Blackburn is not an easy person to work with.

You mention McConnell in 2020. Circuit court confirmations stopped because there were literally no vacancies by the time summer started. McConnell's judicial confirmation assembly line was one of ruthless efficiency (I say that with both admiration and exasperation). At its peak, he was getting nominees confirmed about a month after being named. Once Justice Barrett took her seat on SCOTUS, it only took a couple weeks to get a nomination for her 7th Circuit seat and another month before he took his seat. In the end, they only left a single seat on the table for Joe Biden to fill (a 1st Circuit judge died in late October). If it was the DC Circuit or another court of high significance, they probably would've made an attempt. (That was also when control of the Senate was contingent on the Georgia runoffs.)
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2002 on: February 03, 2024, 06:52:51 PM »
« Edited: February 03, 2024, 06:57:53 PM by LGC Speaker & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon »

Honestly it feels like the pendulum is swinging back towards blue slips being a thing for circuits. Some of Trump's later circuit court nominees, including nominees in OR and CT, involved clear consultation with home state senators. Durbin did a few despite blue slip issues (Mathis, Bloomkatz, Freeman) but clearly has institutionalist leanings and isn't enthusiastic about doing it. The committee has talked about formally reinstating the blue slip requirement post 2024.

And really, there are solid reasons behind the blue slip, chief being that without it, there's nothing stopping a president and a friendly senate majority from giving all ninth circuit seats to CA, or all third circuit seats to NJ, etc. Certain senators couldn't resist steeping away from it for a time, and certainly Mathis was a way to "get even" with that, but it's good for the institution that people are getting cold feet and taking a few steps back from the brink.

As far as the remaining circuit court vacancies, time is short. Aside from a lame duck nominee, Even McConnell didn't confirm anyone nominated later than early may.

Generally, any POTUS is going to want to work in good faith with Senators of both parties (and that's especially true of someone like Joe Biden). I'm not opposed to consultation with the home state Senators. (It was also my understanding that the seats are reserved for each state as a matter of law. If I'm wrong, I stand corrected.) Making deals and compromising are healthy for the institutions and the country. What I strongly oppose is allowing a single Senator to veto nominations. When it comes to some (and I'd look to those like Cotton, Hawley, and Tuberville, among others), that effectively means the President will be denied any judicial nominations for that state. That is not healthy either for the Senate or, especially and in particular, the judiciary. That's also why I singled out the Tennessee seats. At the very least, Blackburn is not an easy person to work with.

You mention McConnell in 2020. Circuit court confirmations stopped because there were literally no vacancies by the time summer started. McConnell's judicial confirmation assembly line was one of ruthless efficiency (I say that with both admiration and exasperation). At its peak, he was getting nominees confirmed about a month after being named. Once Justice Barrett took her seat on SCOTUS, it only took a couple weeks to get a nomination for her 7th Circuit seat and another month before he took his seat. In the end, they only left a single seat on the table for Joe Biden to fill (a 1st Circuit judge died in late October). If it was the DC Circuit or another court of high significance, they probably would've made an attempt. (That was also when control of the Senate was contingent on the Georgia runoffs.)

This is the relevant section on circuit court judge residency:

(c)Except in the District of Columbia, each circuit judge shall be a resident of the circuit for which appointed at the time of his appointment and thereafter while in active service. While in active service, each circuit judge of the Federal judicial circuit appointed after the effective date of the Federal Courts Improvement Act of 1982, and the chief judge of the Federal judicial circuit, whenever appointed, shall reside within fifty miles of the District of Columbia. In each circuit (other than the Federal judicial circuit) there shall be at least one circuit judge in regular active service appointed from the residents of each state [1] in that circuit.

The only requirement is that at least 1 judge is ostensibly appointed from each state. There is nothing, aside from tradition, and the blue slip, requiring proportional representation of the states, and there is also nothing preventing a judge from moving to a state just long enough to establish residency, getting confirmed, and then moving back to & establishing chambers in their original home state.

McConnell in fact arguably exploited that loophole with a 9th Circuit CA nom, and Whitehouse threatened to do the same if he had been chosen as judiciary chair.

And Circuit Court wise, I would be open if I were a Senator to nominees that had one blue slip but lacked the other, though I would consider it to be a strike against them. However I would not vote for any nominees who lacked both blue slips, or district Court nominees with any blue slip issue.
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2003 on: February 04, 2024, 12:23:23 AM »

(c)Except in the District of Columbia, each circuit judge shall be a resident of the circuit for which appointed at the time of his appointment and thereafter while in active service. While in active service, each circuit judge of the Federal judicial circuit appointed after the effective date of the Federal Courts Improvement Act of 1982, and the chief judge of the Federal judicial circuit, whenever appointed, shall reside within fifty miles of the District of Columbia. In each circuit (other than the Federal judicial circuit) there shall be at least one circuit judge in regular active service appointed from the residents of each state [1] in that circuit.

The only requirement is that at least 1 judge is ostensibly appointed from each state. There is nothing, aside from tradition, and the blue slip, requiring proportional representation of the states, and there is also nothing preventing a judge from moving to a state just long enough to establish residency, getting confirmed, and then moving back to & establishing chambers in their original home state.

McConnell in fact arguably exploited that loophole with a 9th Circuit CA nom, and Whitehouse threatened to do the same if he had been chosen as judiciary chair.

And Circuit Court wise, I would be open if I were a Senator to nominees that had one blue slip but lacked the other, though I would consider it to be a strike against them. However I would not vote for any nominees who lacked both blue slips, or district Court nominees with any blue slip issue.

Well, if there's a loophole in the law, the law should be changed. That's probably an extreme example and not why Senators exercise the privilege. Ideology is the reason now. A quarter of the district court judgeships in Missouri are currently vacant. None will be filled so long as Joe Biden is President because Josh Hawley would rather have the seats open than come up with names that both sides could agree on.

Blue slips have varied over the years depending on who was Judiciary Chairman. The original strict enforcement of a single-Senator veto was for the preservation of segregation. For some reason, Leahy felt it necessary to return to such a standard. I do think it's very important to consult with the home state Senators, but veto power is a step too far. At this point, it means some judgeships won't be filled for the duration of an entire Presidency. That is not healthy for the judiciary. Even without blue slips, seats can end up open far longer than they should. A seat on the 10th Circuit (KS) opened up in March 2021 and wasn't finally filled until December 2023.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2004 on: February 04, 2024, 11:35:37 AM »

In the end, [McConnell's judicial confirmation assembly line] only left a single seat on the table for Joe Biden to fill (a 1st Circuit judge died in late October 2020). If it was the DC Circuit or another court of high significance, they probably would've made an attempt. (That was also when control of the Senate was contingent on the Georgia runoffs.)

They actually did make an attempt at the open CA1 seat anyway with Arias-Marxuach as the original nominee to succeed Torruella, but Graham refused to help McConnell & report the nom. to the floor after giving him a Judiciary hearing a wk. before Christmas just as a courtesy, enabling Biden to pick Gelpí.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2005 on: February 04, 2024, 11:27:44 PM »
« Edited: February 04, 2024, 11:33:56 PM by LGC Speaker & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon »

In the end, [McConnell's judicial confirmation assembly line] only left a single seat on the table for Joe Biden to fill (a 1st Circuit judge died in late October 2020). If it was the DC Circuit or another court of high significance, they probably would've made an attempt. (That was also when control of the Senate was contingent on the Georgia runoffs.)

They actually did make an attempt at the open CA1 seat anyway with Arias-Marxuach as the original nominee to succeed Torruella, but Graham refused to help McConnell & report the nom. to the floor after giving him a Judiciary hearing a wk. before Christmas just as a courtesy, enabling Biden to pick Gelpí.

According to Graham, that hearing was actually in hopes Biden would keep that nomination intact. According to Senate precedent, you don't need to rehold hearings from the immediately previous administration (2+ administrations back, then you do). So Biden keeping Arias nominated would have resulted in an expedited confirmation for that seat. Arias was considerably less conservative than many Trump nominees.

Of course, it didn't work.

Well, if there's a loophole in the law, the law should be changed. That's probably an extreme example and not why Senators exercise the privilege. Ideology is the reason now. A quarter of the district court judgeships in Missouri are currently vacant. None will be filled so long as Joe Biden is President because Josh Hawley would rather have the seats open than come up with names that both sides could agree on.

Blue slips have varied over the years depending on who was Judiciary Chairman. The original strict enforcement of a single-Senator veto was for the preservation of segregation. For some reason, Leahy felt it necessary to return to such a standard. I do think it's very important to consult with the home state Senators, but veto power is a step too far. At this point, it means some judgeships won't be filled for the duration of an entire Presidency. That is not healthy for the judiciary. Even without blue slips, seats can end up open far longer than they should. A seat on the 10th Circuit (KS) opened up in March 2021 and wasn't finally filled until December 2023.

There is Senate history at circuit level, though I'm unaware of any at district level, of disregarding *one* blue slip. However, prior to 2019, there is literally no history of disregarding a double blue slip denial at least with respect to floor consideration of a nominee, which is why I would draw the line there. Also, prior to 2013, the judiciary committee's policy wasn't really relevant - Senators can and did use the filibuster to successfully enforce their prerogatives on the floor.

Really the whole way the Senate is setup, from a rules committee that is very limited in its scope, to only giving the majority leader preferential recognition rather than total control, to unlimited debate/amendments barring Cloture/UC, to states only having multiple circuit seats by tradition, is set up to rely on cooperation between the parties. If we can't get back there, we really need to re-write the Senate's rules from the ground up. But I like to believe that we can if the parties stop this game of trying to outdo the other and realize what's at stake. They all say they value the chamber being different from the House. It may not be for much longer if both sides keep this up.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2006 on: February 05, 2024, 08:20:58 PM »

Laroski confirmed 76-0:

Not Voting - 24
Barrasso (R-WY)
Blackburn (R-TN)
Braun (R-IN)
Budd (R-NC)
Capito (R-WV)
Cassidy (R-LA)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Cramer (R-ND)
Cruz (R-TX)
Daines (R-MT)
Fetterman (D-PA)
Hawley (R-MO)
Hickenlooper (D-CO)
Lummis (R-WY)
Manchin (D-WV)
Moran (R-KS)
Ricketts (R-NE)
Risch (R-ID)
Romney (R-UT)
Rubio (R-FL)
Sanders (I-VT)
Sullivan (R-AK)
Tillis (R-NC)
Warren (D-MA)
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2007 on: February 06, 2024, 03:34:48 PM »

Campbell (Deputy Secretary of State) passes CLOTURE 90-5:

NAYs ---5
Hawley (R-MO)
Kennedy (R-LA)
Scott (R-FL)
Tuberville (R-AL)
Vance (R-OH)

Not Voting - 5
Barrasso (R-WY)
Braun (R-IN)
Lummis (R-WY)
Romney (R-UT)
Sanders (I-VT)
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2008 on: February 06, 2024, 05:18:11 PM »

Campbell confirmed 92-5:

NAYs ---5
Hawley (R-MO)
Sanders (I-VT)
Scott (R-FL)
Tuberville (R-AL)
Vance (R-OH)

Not Voting - 3
Barrasso (R-WY)
Braun (R-IN)
Lummis (R-WY)

Baggio (D OR) passes CLOTURE 54-43:

NAYs ---43
Blackburn (R-TN)
Boozman (R-AR)
Britt (R-AL)
Budd (R-NC)
Capito (R-WV)
Cassidy (R-LA)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Cotton (R-AR)
Cramer (R-ND)
Crapo (R-ID)
Cruz (R-TX)
Daines (R-MT)
Ernst (R-IA)
Fischer (R-NE)
Grassley (R-IA)
Hagerty (R-TN)
Hawley (R-MO)
Hoeven (R-ND)
Hyde-Smith (R-MS)
Johnson (R-WI)
Kennedy (R-LA)
Lankford (R-OK)
Lee (R-UT)
Marshall (R-KS)
McConnell (R-KY)
Moran (R-KS)
Mullin (R-OK)
Paul (R-KY)
Ricketts (R-NE)
Risch (R-ID)
Romney (R-UT)
Rounds (R-SD)
Rubio (R-FL)
Schmitt (R-MO)
Scott (R-FL)
Scott (R-SC)
Sullivan (R-AK)
Thune (R-SD)
Tillis (R-NC)
Tuberville (R-AL)
Vance (R-OH)
Wicker (R-MS)
Young (R-IN)

Not Voting - 3
Barrasso (R-WY)
Braun (R-IN)
Lummis (R-WY)
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2009 on: February 06, 2024, 07:54:17 PM »

Baggio confirmed 54-44:

NAYs ---44
Blackburn (R-TN)
Boozman (R-AR)
Braun (R-IN)
Britt (R-AL)
Budd (R-NC)
Capito (R-WV)
Cassidy (R-LA)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Cotton (R-AR)
Cramer (R-ND)
Crapo (R-ID)
Cruz (R-TX)
Daines (R-MT)
Ernst (R-IA)
Fischer (R-NE)
Grassley (R-IA)
Hagerty (R-TN)
Hawley (R-MO)
Hoeven (R-ND)
Hyde-Smith (R-MS)
Johnson (R-WI)
Kennedy (R-LA)
Lankford (R-OK)
Lee (R-UT)
Marshall (R-KS)
McConnell (R-KY)
Moran (R-KS)
Mullin (R-OK)
Paul (R-KY)
Ricketts (R-NE)
Risch (R-ID)
Romney (R-UT)
Rounds (R-SD)
Rubio (R-FL)
Schmitt (R-MO)
Scott (R-FL)
Scott (R-SC)
Sullivan (R-AK)
Thune (R-SD)
Tillis (R-NC)
Tuberville (R-AL)
Vance (R-OH)
Wicker (R-MS)
Young (R-IN)

Not Voting - 2
Barrasso (R-WY)
Lummis (R-WY)

Confirmed by voice vote: Executive Calendar #480 Nicole Shampaine for the rank of Ambassador during her tenure of service as United States Representative to the Organization for the Prohibition of Chemical Weapons.
NYDem
United States Minor Outlying Islands

« Reply #2010 on: February 06, 2024, 10:06:57 PM »

Campbell confirmed 92-5:

NAYs ---5
Hawley (R-MO)
Sanders (I-VT)
Scott (R-FL)
Tuberville (R-AL)
Vance (R-OH)

Not Voting - 3
Barrasso (R-WY)
Braun (R-IN)
Lummis (R-WY)

NAYs ---43
Blackburn (R-TN)
Boozman (R-AR)
Britt (R-AL)
Budd (R-NC)
Capito (R-WV)
Cassidy (R-LA)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Cotton (R-AR)
Cramer (R-ND)
Crapo (R-ID)
Cruz (R-TX)
Daines (R-MT)
Ernst (R-IA)
Fischer (R-NE)
Grassley (R-IA)
Hagerty (R-TN)
Hawley (R-MO)
Hoeven (R-ND)
Hyde-Smith (R-MS)
Johnson (R-WI)
Kennedy (R-LA)
Lankford (R-OK)
Lee (R-UT)
Marshall (R-KS)
McConnell (R-KY)
Moran (R-KS)
Mullin (R-OK)
Paul (R-KY)
Ricketts (R-NE)
Risch (R-ID)
Romney (R-UT)
Rounds (R-SD)
Rubio (R-FL)
Schmitt (R-MO)
Scott (R-FL)
Scott (R-SC)
Sullivan (R-AK)
Thune (R-SD)
Tillis (R-NC)
Tuberville (R-AL)
Vance (R-OH)
Wicker (R-MS)
Young (R-IN)

Not Voting - 3
Barrasso (R-WY)
Braun (R-IN)
Lummis (R-WY)

Why was Sanders a no? Little unusual.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2011 on: February 06, 2024, 10:09:37 PM »

Campbell confirmed 92-5:

NAYs ---5
Hawley (R-MO)
Sanders (I-VT)
Scott (R-FL)
Tuberville (R-AL)
Vance (R-OH)

Not Voting - 3
Barrasso (R-WY)
Braun (R-IN)
Lummis (R-WY)

NAYs ---43
Blackburn (R-TN)
Boozman (R-AR)
Britt (R-AL)
Budd (R-NC)
Capito (R-WV)
Cassidy (R-LA)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Cotton (R-AR)
Cramer (R-ND)
Crapo (R-ID)
Cruz (R-TX)
Daines (R-MT)
Ernst (R-IA)
Fischer (R-NE)
Grassley (R-IA)
Hagerty (R-TN)
Hawley (R-MO)
Hoeven (R-ND)
Hyde-Smith (R-MS)
Johnson (R-WI)
Kennedy (R-LA)
Lankford (R-OK)
Lee (R-UT)
Marshall (R-KS)
McConnell (R-KY)
Moran (R-KS)
Mullin (R-OK)
Paul (R-KY)
Ricketts (R-NE)
Risch (R-ID)
Romney (R-UT)
Rounds (R-SD)
Rubio (R-FL)
Schmitt (R-MO)
Scott (R-FL)
Scott (R-SC)
Sullivan (R-AK)
Thune (R-SD)
Tillis (R-NC)
Tuberville (R-AL)
Vance (R-OH)
Wicker (R-MS)
Young (R-IN)

Not Voting - 3
Barrasso (R-WY)
Braun (R-IN)
Lummis (R-WY)

Why was Sanders a no? Little unusual.

He's too pro-Israel for Sanders: https://apnews.com/article/kurt-campbell-asia-biden-state-diplomat-37a912b13e9715d6a15ff7a8471b8b59
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2012 on: February 08, 2024, 07:55:09 AM »

There is Senate history at circuit level, though I'm unaware of any at district level, of disregarding *one* blue slip. However, prior to 2019, there is literally no history of disregarding a double blue slip denial at least with respect to floor consideration of a nominee, which is why I would draw the line there. Also, prior to 2013, the judiciary committee's policy wasn't really relevant - Senators can and did use the filibuster to successfully enforce their prerogatives on the floor.

Really the whole way the Senate is setup, from a rules committee that is very limited in its scope, to only giving the majority leader preferential recognition rather than total control, to unlimited debate/amendments barring Cloture/UC, to states only having multiple circuit seats by tradition, is set up to rely on cooperation between the parties. If we can't get back there, we really need to re-write the Senate's rules from the ground up. But I like to believe that we can if the parties stop this game of trying to outdo the other and realize what's at stake. They all say they value the chamber being different from the House. It may not be for much longer if both sides keep this up.

I fully support having the White House and Senate work together in good faith to get good and well-qualified judges confirmed all across the country. While I don't think our current system is the best, it's quite unlikely there will be a constitutional amendment anytime soon. In the meantime, I support a system where both sides should work in good faith, regardless of party. This country cannot survive without an independent judiciary that is respected by all sides. President Biden has done well. Only a few states have eluded him in terms of judicial appointments. We just got a new batch of nominations that include district court judges for South Dakota.

As for Senate rules, I do think they need to be changed. That doesn't mean it has to be a carbon copy of the House though. Unfortunately, I'm not sure what would function as a good intermediary between the President and the Senators of a respective state (at least as far as who is really working in good faith and who is not). By itself, I do think the Senate becoming a more partisan institution is far less disruptive to our constitutional republic than outright politicization and polarization of the judiciary. The judiciary needs to be protected, but it also cannot go too far in one direction without popular backlash.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2013 on: February 08, 2024, 08:24:40 PM »

Confirmed by voice vote: Exec. Cal. #482 Jeffrey Prescott to be U.S. Representative to the United Nations Agencies for Food and Agriculture, with the rank of Ambassador.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2014 on: February 13, 2024, 12:22:03 PM »

Leader Schumer filed cloture on Executive Calendar #468 Jacqueline Becerra to be United States District Judge for the Southern District of Florida.
Leader Schumer filed cloture on Executive Calendar #470 David Seymour Leibowitz to be United States District Judge for the Southern District of Florida.
Leader Schumer filed cloture on Executive Calendar #455 Hampton Y. Dellinger to be Special Counsel, Office of Special Counsel, for the term of five years.
Epaminondas

« Reply #2015 on: February 22, 2024, 10:41:28 AM »

No change in the past 10 days, is this article from yesterday correct?
https://www.courthousenews.com/biden-announces-5-judicial-2-us-attorney-nominees/
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2016 on: February 22, 2024, 10:42:28 AM »

Are there any updates on Julie Su? Is Biden just going to keep as acting secretary till the election?
politicallefty
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2017 on: February 25, 2024, 11:25:00 PM »

It is. If an article uses "announced", the implication is that it's public on the White House website.

The 7th Circuit vacancy already has a nominee. That tells me Durbin works fast.

Are there any updates on Julie Su? Is Biden just going to keep as acting secretary till the election?

It remains to be seen.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2018 on: February 26, 2024, 09:55:35 PM »

Leader Schumer filed cloture on Executive Calendar #472 Julie Simone Sneed to be United States District Judge for the Middle District of Florida.
Leader Schumer filed cloture on Executive Calendar #469 Melissa Damian to be United States District Judge for the Southern District of Florida.
Leader Schumer filed cloture on Executive Calendar #514 Marjorie A. Rollinson to be Chief Counsel for the Internal Revenue Service and an Assistant General Counsel in the Department of the Treasury.

Confirmed by voice vote: Executive Calendar #441 Summer K. Mersinger to be a Commissioner of the Commodity Futures Trading Commission for a term expiring April 13, 2028. (Reappointment)
Confirmed by voice vote: Executive Calendar #442 Basil Ivanhoe Gooden to be Under Secretary of Agriculture for Rural Development.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2019 on: February 26, 2024, 10:02:37 PM »

Becerra (SD FL) passes CLOTURE 56-38:

NAYs ---38
Barrasso (R-WY)
Blackburn (R-TN)
Boozman (R-AR)
Braun (R-IN)
Britt (R-AL)
Budd (R-NC)
Capito (R-WV)
Cassidy (R-LA)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Cotton (R-AR)
Cruz (R-TX)
Daines (R-MT)
Ernst (R-IA)
Fischer (R-NE)
Grassley (R-IA)
Hagerty (R-TN)
Hawley (R-MO)
Hoeven (R-ND)
Hyde-Smith (R-MS)
Johnson (R-WI)
Kennedy (R-LA)
Lankford (R-OK)
Lee (R-UT)
Lummis (R-WY)
Marshall (R-KS)
McConnell (R-KY)
Moran (R-KS)
Mullin (R-OK)
Paul (R-KY)
Romney (R-UT)
Schmitt (R-MO)
Scott (R-SC)
Sullivan (R-AK)
Thune (R-SD)
Tuberville (R-AL)
Vance (R-OH)
Wicker (R-MS)
Young (R-IN)

Not Voting - 6
Cramer (R-ND)
Crapo (R-ID)
Fetterman (D-PA)
Ricketts (R-NE)
Risch (R-ID)
Tillis (R-NC)
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2020 on: February 27, 2024, 07:30:42 PM »

Becerra confirmed 56-40:

NAYs ---40
Barrasso (R-WY)
Blackburn (R-TN)
Boozman (R-AR)
Braun (R-IN)
Britt (R-AL)
Budd (R-NC)
Capito (R-WV)
Cassidy (R-LA)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Cotton (R-AR)
Cramer (R-ND)
Cruz (R-TX)
Daines (R-MT)
Ernst (R-IA)
Fischer (R-NE)
Grassley (R-IA)
Hagerty (R-TN)
Hawley (R-MO)
Hoeven (R-ND)
Hyde-Smith (R-MS)
Johnson (R-WI)
Kennedy (R-LA)
Lankford (R-OK)
Lee (R-UT)
Lummis (R-WY)
Marshall (R-KS)
McConnell (R-KY)
Moran (R-KS)
Mullin (R-OK)
Paul (R-KY)
Risch (R-ID)
Romney (R-UT)
Schmitt (R-MO)
Scott (R-SC)
Sullivan (R-AK)
Thune (R-SD)
Tuberville (R-AL)
Vance (R-OH)
Wicker (R-MS)
Young (R-IN)

Not Voting - 4
Crapo (R-ID)
Fetterman (D-PA)
Ricketts (R-NE)
Tillis (R-NC)

Leibowitz (SD FL) passes CLOTURE 64-33:

NAYs ---33
Barrasso (R-WY)
Blackburn (R-TN)
Boozman (R-AR)
Braun (R-IN)
Britt (R-AL)
Budd (R-NC)
Capito (R-WV)
Cassidy (R-LA)
Cotton (R-AR)
Cramer (R-ND)
Cruz (R-TX)
Daines (R-MT)
Fischer (R-NE)
Hagerty (R-TN)
Hawley (R-MO)
Hoeven (R-ND)
Hyde-Smith (R-MS)
Johnson (R-WI)
Lankford (R-OK)
Lee (R-UT)
Marshall (R-KS)
McConnell (R-KY)
Moran (R-KS)
Mullin (R-OK)
Paul (R-KY)
Risch (R-ID)
Schmitt (R-MO)
Scott (R-SC)
Sullivan (R-AK)
Thune (R-SD)
Tuberville (R-AL)
Vance (R-OH)
Wicker (R-MS)

Not Voting - 3
Crapo (R-ID)
Ricketts (R-NE)
Tillis (R-NC)

Leibowitz confirmed by the same vote
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2021 on: February 27, 2024, 08:10:20 PM »

Dellinger (Special Counsel) passes CLOTURE 51-46:

NAYs ---46
Barrasso (R-WY)
Blackburn (R-TN)
Boozman (R-AR)
Braun (R-IN)
Britt (R-AL)
Budd (R-NC)
Capito (R-WV)
Cassidy (R-LA)
Collins (R-ME)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Cotton (R-AR)
Cramer (R-ND)
Cruz (R-TX)
Daines (R-MT)
Ernst (R-IA)
Fischer (R-NE)
Graham (R-SC)
Grassley (R-IA)
Hagerty (R-TN)
Hawley (R-MO)
Hoeven (R-ND)
Hyde-Smith (R-MS)
Johnson (R-WI)
Kennedy (R-LA)
Lankford (R-OK)
Lee (R-UT)
Lummis (R-WY)
Marshall (R-KS)
McConnell (R-KY)
Moran (R-KS)
Mullin (R-OK)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Paul (R-KY)
Risch (R-ID)
Romney (R-UT)
Rounds (R-SD)
Rubio (R-FL)
Schmitt (R-MO)
Scott (R-FL)
Scott (R-SC)
Sullivan (R-AK)
Thune (R-SD)
Tuberville (R-AL)
Vance (R-OH)
Wicker (R-MS)
Young (R-IN)

Not Voting - 3
Crapo (R-ID)
Ricketts (R-NE)
Tillis (R-NC)

Dellinger confirmed 49-47:

NAYs ---47
Barrasso (R-WY)
Blackburn (R-TN)
Boozman (R-AR)
Braun (R-IN)
Britt (R-AL)
Budd (R-NC)
Capito (R-WV)
Cassidy (R-LA)
Collins (R-ME)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Cotton (R-AR)
Cramer (R-ND)
Cruz (R-TX)
Daines (R-MT)
Ernst (R-IA)
Fischer (R-NE)
Graham (R-SC)
Grassley (R-IA)
Hagerty (R-TN)
Hawley (R-MO)
Hoeven (R-ND)
Hyde-Smith (R-MS)
Johnson (R-WI)
Kennedy (R-LA)
Lankford (R-OK)
Lee (R-UT)
Lummis (R-WY)
Marshall (R-KS)
McConnell (R-KY)
Moran (R-KS)
Mullin (R-OK)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Paul (R-KY)
Ricketts (R-NE)
Risch (R-ID)
Romney (R-UT)
Rounds (R-SD)
Rubio (R-FL)
Schmitt (R-MO)
Scott (R-FL)
Scott (R-SC)
Sullivan (R-AK)
Thune (R-SD)
Tuberville (R-AL)
Vance (R-OH)
Wicker (R-MS)
Young (R-IN)

Not Voting - 4
Crapo (R-ID)
Klobuchar (D-MN)
Smith (D-MN)
Tillis (R-NC)

Confirmed by voice vote: Executive Calendar #515 Cara L. Abercrombie to be an Assistant Secretary of Defense.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2022 on: February 28, 2024, 11:53:24 PM »

Sneed (MD FL) passes CLOTURE 54-43:

NAYs ---43
Barrasso (R-WY)
Blackburn (R-TN)
Boozman (R-AR)
Braun (R-IN)
Britt (R-AL)
Budd (R-NC)
Capito (R-WV)
Cassidy (R-LA)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Cotton (R-AR)
Cramer (R-ND)
Crapo (R-ID)
Cruz (R-TX)
Daines (R-MT)
Ernst (R-IA)
Fischer (R-NE)
Grassley (R-IA)
Hagerty (R-TN)
Hawley (R-MO)
Hoeven (R-ND)
Hyde-Smith (R-MS)
Johnson (R-WI)
Kennedy (R-LA)
Lankford (R-OK)
Lee (R-UT)
Lummis (R-WY)
Marshall (R-KS)
McConnell (R-KY)
Moran (R-KS)
Mullin (R-OK)
Paul (R-KY)
Ricketts (R-NE)
Risch (R-ID)
Romney (R-UT)
Rounds (R-SD)
Schmitt (R-MO)
Scott (R-SC)
Sullivan (R-AK)
Thune (R-SD)
Tuberville (R-AL)
Vance (R-OH)
Wicker (R-MS)
Young (R-IN)

Not Voting - 3
Klobuchar (D-MN)
Smith (D-MN)
Tillis (R-NC)

Sneed confirmed 54-44 with Tillis showing up for the second vote.

Damian (SD FL) passes CLOTURE 77-20:

NAYs ---20
Blackburn (R-TN)
Braun (R-IN)
Britt (R-AL)
Crapo (R-ID)
Daines (R-MT)
Fischer (R-NE)
Hagerty (R-TN)
Hawley (R-MO)
Hoeven (R-ND)
Johnson (R-WI)
Lankford (R-OK)
Marshall (R-KS)
Mullin (R-OK)
Paul (R-KY)
Risch (R-ID)
Schmitt (R-MO)
Scott (R-SC)
Sullivan (R-AK)
Thune (R-SD)
Tuberville (R-AL)

Not Voting - 3
Booker (D-NJ)
Klobuchar (D-MN)
Smith (D-MN)

Damian confirmed by the same vote.

Rollinson (Chief Counsel IRS) passes CLOTURE 52-42:

NAYs ---42
Barrasso (R-WY)
Blackburn (R-TN)
Boozman (R-AR)
Braun (R-IN)
Britt (R-AL)
Budd (R-NC)
Capito (R-WV)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Cotton (R-AR)
Cramer (R-ND)
Crapo (R-ID)
Cruz (R-TX)
Daines (R-MT)
Ernst (R-IA)
Fischer (R-NE)
Graham (R-SC)
Grassley (R-IA)
Hagerty (R-TN)
Hawley (R-MO)
Hoeven (R-ND)
Hyde-Smith (R-MS)
Johnson (R-WI)
Kennedy (R-LA)
Lankford (R-OK)
Lee (R-UT)
Lummis (R-WY)
McConnell (R-KY)
Moran (R-KS)
Mullin (R-OK)
Murkowski (R-AK)
Paul (R-KY)
Ricketts (R-NE)
Risch (R-ID)
Rubio (R-FL)
Schmitt (R-MO)
Scott (R-FL)
Scott (R-SC)
Sullivan (R-AK)
Thune (R-SD)
Vance (R-OH)
Wicker (R-MS)
Young (R-IN)

Not Voting - 6
Klobuchar (D-MN)
Manchin (D-WV)
Marshall (R-KS)
Sanders (I-VT)
Smith (D-MN)
Tuberville (R-AL)
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2023 on: February 28, 2024, 11:55:47 PM »

Confirmed by voice vote: Executive Calendar #516 Aprille Joy Ericsson to be an Assistant Secretary of Defense.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #2024 on: February 29, 2024, 01:51:17 PM »

Rollinson confirmed 56-41:

NAYs ---41