Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 06:16:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 83
Author Topic: Biden Cabinet Confirmation Live Thread ***hearings, votes, etc.***  (Read 103848 times)
Attorney General, Senator-Elect, & Former PPT Dwarven Dragon
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1100 on: May 13, 2021, 02:39:23 PM »

McRenolyds confirmed 59-38:

NAYs ---38
Barrasso (R-WY)
Blackburn (R-TN)
Boozman (R-AR)
Braun (R-IN)
Burr (R-NC)
Cassidy (R-LA)
Cornyn (R-TX)
Cotton (R-AR)
Cramer (R-ND)
Crapo (R-ID)
Cruz (R-TX)
Daines (R-MT)
Fischer (R-NE)
Hagerty (R-TN)
Hawley (R-MO)
Hoeven (R-ND)
Hyde-Smith (R-MS)
Inhofe (R-OK)
Johnson (R-WI)
Kennedy (R-LA)
Lankford (R-OK)
Lee (R-UT)
Lummis (R-WY)
Marshall (R-KS)
McConnell (R-KY)
Paul (R-KY)
Risch (R-ID)
Rubio (R-FL)
Sasse (R-NE)
Scott (R-FL)
Scott (R-SC)
Shelby (R-AL)
Thune (R-SD)
Tillis (R-NC)
Toomey (R-PA)
Tuberville (R-AL)
Wicker (R-MS)
Young (R-IN)

Not Voting - 3
Duckworth (D-IL)
Heinrich (D-NM)
Manchin (D-WV)
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1101 on: May 13, 2021, 05:28:08 PM »

Graves, Jr. confirmed 89-7:

NAYs ---7
Barrasso (R-WY)
Cotton (R-AR)
Cruz (R-TX)
Hawley (R-MO)
Scott (R-FL)
Shelby (R-AL)
Tuberville (R-AL)

Not Voting - 4
Heinrich (D-NM)
Lummis (R-WY)
Manchin (D-WV)
Thune (R-SD)
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1102 on: May 17, 2021, 10:37:24 AM »

Somewhat unrelated but, maybe we won't see a SCOTUS confirmation battle

Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #1103 on: May 17, 2021, 01:00:28 PM »

Here's the link:
https://www.nytimes.com/2021/05/17/us/justice-breyer-retirement.html?searchResultPosition=1

He is certainly a good communicator. I shall repeat that Kamala Harris should have been sworn in by Barrett, but that's another matter.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #1104 on: May 17, 2021, 05:47:35 PM »

Somewhat unrelated but, maybe we won't see a SCOTUS confirmation battle

Breyer, no! In an ideal world he's probably right but our world is far from ideal. No more unilateral disarmament in the face of the modern GOP!
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #1105 on: May 17, 2021, 06:15:31 PM »

Not necessarily: with just 5 months to go 'til OT2021, Sotomayor's still hired only 2 clerks, even though she was fully hired up for OT2020 by Jan. 2020 (i.e., at least 9 months beforehand), & even though 2 clerks is more than the 1 that a retired justice is allotted, only hiring 2 by now is still a plausible indicator that she's at least considering retirement this year, given that were she to do so, she'd just work with 1 of the clerks this fall while either deferring the other to OT2022 (i.e., what Kennedy did with his OT2018 clerks) or transferring them over to either Breyer or Kagan's chambers, so a (nevertheless surprising) Sotomayor retirement this year followed by a Breyer retirement next summer still can't be ruled out as of yet.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1106 on: May 18, 2021, 04:52:47 PM »

Martin's actually retiring instead of going senior, but either way, Stacey Abrams is gonna have a circuit judge in the family:

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1107 on: May 19, 2021, 11:39:50 AM »

Collins voted Yes, Murkowski and Stabenow did not vote.
cg41386
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.39, S: -7.74

« Reply #1108 on: May 20, 2021, 09:25:15 AM »

Not necessarily: with just 5 months to go 'til OT2021, Sotomayor's still hired only 2 clerks, even though she was fully hired up for OT2020 by Jan. 2020 (i.e., at least 9 months beforehand), & even though 2 clerks is more than the 1 that a retired justice is allotted, only hiring 2 by now is still a plausible indicator that she's at least considering retirement this year, given that were she to do so, she'd just work with 1 of the clerks this fall while either deferring the other to OT2022 (i.e., what Kennedy did with his OT2018 clerks) or transferring them over to either Breyer or Kagan's chambers, so a (nevertheless surprising) Sotomayor retirement this year followed by a Breyer retirement next summer still can't be ruled out as of yet.

I was about to post a smartass reply along the lines of "why would she retire so soon" thinking she wasn't that old, but she is a bit older than I thought. I still don't think she's going to retire yet, she still has time left.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1109 on: May 20, 2021, 04:06:41 PM »
« Edited: May 20, 2021, 04:31:10 PM by brucejoel99 »

I was about to post a smartass reply along the lines of "why would she retire so soon" thinking she wasn't that old, but she is a bit older than I thought. I still don't think she's going to retire yet, she still has time left.

Yeah, & she's at a heightened medical risk compared to your avg. 66-year-old justice due to the pre-existing condition from which she suffers (type 1 diabetes), so she might not be as likely to make it to ~82/83 as somebody like Breyer was, & based on how the dynamics of presidential/Senate control play out after the midterms, that could mean that this summer (or next) could very well be her last chance to retire with a Democratic president capable of nominating a liberal replacement who could be confirmed by a Democratic Senate. Otherwise, if the Democrats lose the Senate next fall, then after that, she could be risking being trapped on the Court for who knows how long, just like Marshall, Brennan, & RBG were: wanting to retire but ideologically unable to because there's either a Republican president or a Democratic president who can't get a liberal nominee confirmed with a Republican Senate, & we know how well trying to wait worked for them.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1110 on: May 20, 2021, 04:27:14 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1111 on: May 20, 2021, 04:30:21 PM »

brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1112 on: May 20, 2021, 04:33:31 PM »

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1113 on: May 20, 2021, 06:39:21 PM »

Next week:

Cal. #117 Brooks La-Sure to be Administrator of the Centers of Medicare and Medicaid Services
Cal. #124 Clarke to be an Assistant Attorney General

Close votes are expected on both nominees, and depending on attendance, Harris may be needed.
ηєω ƒяσηтιєя
New Frontier
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -1.22

« Reply #1114 on: May 20, 2021, 06:44:59 PM »

Any updates on Julie Su's nomination?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1115 on: May 20, 2021, 07:04:35 PM »

She was already advanced out of the HELP committee nearly a month ago now, so perhaps they're just waiting for her to finish closing up shop on anything that she's recently been tending to back home in CA before they vote to confirm?
Not Me, Us
KhanOfKhans
United States

« Reply #1116 on: May 21, 2021, 03:21:01 PM »

Yeah, & she's at a heightened medical risk compared to your avg. 66-year-old justice due to the pre-existing condition from which she suffers (type 1 diabetes), so she might not be as likely to make it to ~82/83 as somebody like Breyer was, & based on how the dynamics of presidential/Senate control play out after the midterms, that could mean that this summer (or next) could very well be her last chance to retire with a Democratic president capable of nominating a liberal replacement who could be confirmed by a Democratic Senate. Otherwise, if the Democrats lose the Senate next fall, then after that, she could be risking being trapped on the Court for who knows how long, just like Marshall, Brennan, & RBG were: wanting to retire but ideologically unable to because there's either a Republican president or a Democratic president who can't get a liberal nominee confirmed with a Republican Senate, & we know how well trying to wait worked for them.

Speaking as a type one diabetic, as long as she keeps her blood sugar in check, which I'm assuming she does, there's no reason why she couldn't live live as long or longer than a non-diabetic.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #1117 on: May 21, 2021, 03:35:19 PM »

Speaking as a type one diabetic, as long as she keeps her blood sugar in check, which I'm assuming she does, there's no reason why she couldn't live live as long or longer than a non-diabetic.

Oh yeah, she obviously manages it pretty well (& although she'd become more noticeably overweight in recent years, she recently lost a bunch of it during quarantine), but she's had it since childhood, & the average life expectancy after age 20 for women with type 1 diabetes is only an additional 48 years (i.e., 2 years from now for her) compared to an additional 61 years for women without it (i.e., a comparative loss of 13 years for women with type 1 diabetes), so given the potential presidential & Senate dynamics at play, a possible decade or longer of having to wait for another opportunity like this could just end up being a long time in which anything can happen & the way that things are going now can completely change.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1118 on: May 24, 2021, 05:46:33 PM »

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1119 on: May 25, 2021, 12:06:40 PM »

The #Senate confirmed Chiquita Brooks-LaSure to be Administrator of @CMSGov, 55-44 with Senators Blunt, Burr, Collins, Moran & Murkowski joining Democrats/Independents in favor. Kennedy is absent today.

Clarke passes CLOTURE 51-48 with Collins in favor
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #1120 on: May 25, 2021, 02:03:20 PM »

Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1121 on: May 25, 2021, 02:53:13 PM »

Clarke confirmed by the same 51-48 vote.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1122 on: May 25, 2021, 08:53:38 PM »

LtNOWIS

« Reply #1123 on: May 26, 2021, 10:37:28 PM »

I remember when Trump couldn't fill this position until November 2017. It got real old seeing acting guys on the command wall. And it was the same way across the federal government, vacancies across the board.

Biden's getting the right people in the slots. Qualified professionals who are going to make positive change.
Dwarven Dragon
Atlas Politician
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #1124 on: May 26, 2021, 10:51:34 PM »

I remember when Trump couldn't fill this position until November 2017. It got real old seeing acting guys on the command wall. And it was the same way across the federal government, vacancies across the board.

Biden's getting the right people in the slots. Qualified professionals who are going to make positive change.

I was wondering why @senatecloakroom wasn't mentioning this, then I saw this:

Not sure what happened.
Pages: 1 ... 40 41 42 43 44 [45] 46 47 48 49 50 ... 83  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies