Should the Left defend the right to refuse the Covid Vaccine?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 01, 2024, 11:21:40 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Should the Left defend the right to refuse the Covid Vaccine?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Should the Left defend the right to refuse the Covid Vaccine?
Yes

No

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Should the Left defend the right to refuse the Covid Vaccine?  (Read 1833 times)
I Stand With TRKL1917
Pineville Jeb
Rookie
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2021, 10:59:10 PM »

This has become a major political issue in Europe and will soon become one in the US as well. There is a growing move in many parts of Europe to mandate vaccination, deprive unvaccinated people of human rights and engage in various forms of fascist repression against them. People who say they will refuse the vaccine tend to be poor, working-class, young and are disproportionately immigrants and POC. Despite this, most of the political resistance to forced vaccination seems to be on the far right, while the left says nothing or - worse - supports forced vaccination as an "anti-fascist" move to defend "science" against "conspiracy theories". A number of "Antifa" groups have openly staged counter-protests targeting "anti-vaxxers" who they consider "anti-Semites".

Where do you think the Left should stand on this issue?
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 11:08:08 PM »

Ready to get ratioed on another dumbass poll?
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 11:29:12 PM »

The left supports forced teaching of heliocentrism as an "anti-obscurantist" move to defend "science" against "conspiracy theories", but people who don't believe that the Earth turns around the Sun are more likely to be poor, working class, and immigrants or POC. We are depriving non-heliocentrists of human rights and engaging in fascist repression against them, when their beliefs are just as valid as anyone else's!
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: January 09, 2021, 12:11:54 AM »

authoritarians are going to authoritate
True Federalist (진정한 연방 주의자)
Ernest
Moderators
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #4 on: January 09, 2021, 12:44:19 AM »

It looks like it won't matter too much.  First off, until there is sufficient supply that we can vaccinate everyone who wants to be vaccinated, there's little reason to even consider forced vaccination.  Second, assuming the vaccines are as effective as reported, unless we have truly atrocious levels of vaccine refusal, we should be able to reach herd immunity without forcing vaccination. Third, once we get COVID mostly under control in the first-world, it'll be far more important to get vaccine supply to third-world countries than to worry about the last few percent of idiots here. We have far more to fear from a new vaccine-resistant strain developing in the third-world and coming here than we do from it happening amidst the anti-vaxxer idiots amongst us.

So, unless the supply rolls out far more quickly than expected, this issue won't matter until at least next autumn, as we'll have plenty of willing arms to receive what supplies we have available.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #5 on: January 09, 2021, 12:46:54 AM »

This has become a major political issue in Europe and will soon become one in the US as well. There is a growing move in many parts of Europe to mandate vaccination, deprive unvaccinated people of human rights and engage in various forms of fascist repression against them. People who say they will refuse the vaccine tend to be poor, working-class, young and are disproportionately immigrants and POC. Despite this, most of the political resistance to forced vaccination seems to be on the far right, while the left says nothing or - worse - supports forced vaccination as an "anti-fascist" move to defend "science" against "conspiracy theories". A number of "Antifa" groups have openly staged counter-protests targeting "anti-vaxxers" who they consider "anti-Semites".

Where do you think the Left should stand on this issue?

Stop engaging in postmodern identitarian relativism. The left should favour policies that materially benefit and strengthen the working-class and those that are based on science, both of which favour mandatory vaccination.
LAKISYLVANIA
Lakigigar
Atlas Icon
Belgium

Political Matrix
E: -7.42, S: -4.78

P P P
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2021, 12:52:41 AM »

Yes, but as True Federalist says it won't matter too much probably. Also, we should certainly keep telling people that vaccinations are safe.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 04:34:36 AM »

No

I’ll tolerate the Amish and such, but not getting a vaccine without a legitimate medical exemption makes you a public health risk. Get the hell over it.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 04:45:36 AM »

Absolutely not, especially considering the entire anti-vax movement is based on a lie that was originally started to discredit a rival.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 07:29:32 AM »

Yes for several reasons:

1) As Ernest said, the nature of the virus is such that we have a bit of grace in terms of achieving herd immunity. It'd be one thing if we needed to vaccinate 99% of the population, but we don't.

2) I'm very, very wary of the state forcing medical treatments onto the populace. It carries the whiff of certain mid-20th century totalitarian regimes.

3) The group most likely in polling to refuse the COVID vaccine are blacks, who have good reason to be nervous about the American medical establishment, even if they don't for the vaccine itself. Forcing vaccination seems counterproductive here.

4)
authoritarians are going to authoritate

Jumping to force, isn't just authoritarian, it's a lazy approach to governance. A serious attempt to combat anti-vaccination sentiment hasn't really been tried, but here some posters are jumping directly to force. Heck, I've seen more government ads about how to practice "safe COVID sex" than about "safe vaccinations, yet here we are with a significant contingent arguing we ought to force vaccines on people.

Much of the anti-vax sentiment I've seen around the COVID vaccine, is particular to COVID vaccines.  That is, many people are fine getting a flu shot or their kids vaccinated against measles, but are nervous about the speed of the approval process, limited safety data for certain groups (e.g. pregnant women) per the CDC etc. It's ok to be nervous about something like this, even if it's wrong. Jumping to forcing people to vaccinate is extremely heavy handed. What these people need is education and solid PR campaigns.

If I were running things, I'd have pro-vaccine ads everywhere. Biden would be vaccinated on national television if he hasn't already. I'd make contacts with local leaders in minority communities and have them first in line at the local vaccine clinic etc. These would be more effective and so much less heavy handed than force.

5) Lastly, if we forcibly vaccinated people, and God forbid, one of the vaccines was approved too quickly and had serious side effects, it would set the pro-vaccine camp, and trust in government in general back decades.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 07:30:24 AM »

Also, I can't believe a literal monarchist is one of the more anti-authoritarian posters in this debate Tongue
parochial boy
parochial_boy
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.38, S: -6.78

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2021, 07:32:46 AM »
« Edited: January 09, 2021, 07:53:24 AM by parochial boy »

I'm European, read European media in three different languages and I haven't really seen any debate over whether the vaccine should be obligatory or not tbh?

The debate has been over whether it is legitimate to restrict access to services to people who don't get vaccinated; ie hairdressers, restaurants, airlines refusing servce - and how you would give them the ability to know whether someone was vaccinated or not. Which is something of a different debate really.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #12 on: January 09, 2021, 07:46:50 AM »

Also, I can't believe a literal monarchist is one of the more anti-authoritarian posters in this debate Tongue

For the record 1. I don't believe that not defending the right to refuse the vaccine and endorsing mandatory vaccinations is exactly the same and 2. I voted No in part because I was sick with OP's stupid and toxic rhetoric and behaviour (already shown across multiple threads) and hoped that even people who might otherwise vote Yes would do the same just to give him the ratio he deserved. However that's now a moot point since he has been banned in the meantime. I think Ernest's take is the best for what it's worth.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 09, 2021, 08:41:44 AM »

posting incorrectly to own the trolls
buritobr
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: January 09, 2021, 01:05:07 PM »

No
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: January 09, 2021, 02:23:09 PM »

Yes while it’s in short supply.
Let those who want to get it have a chance first.
However once the vaccine is widely available and we have long term data, I would support mandating it like all other vaccines.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: -5.39

P P
« Reply #16 on: January 10, 2021, 12:34:39 AM »

No one should be forced to receive medical treatment, so yes.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 10, 2021, 01:25:04 AM »

No

I’ll tolerate the Amish and such, but not getting a vaccine without a legitimate medical exemption makes you a public health risk. Get the hell over it.

I'll go a step further. There shouldn't even be medical exemptions to vaccination.
Goldwater
Republitarian
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.55, S: -4.52

« Reply #18 on: January 10, 2021, 01:33:58 AM »

No

I'll go a step further. There shouldn't even be medical exemptions to vaccination.

That's downright sadistic.
NewYorkExpress
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 10, 2021, 01:40:51 AM »

No

I'm sorry, but whatever medical condition someone has, should not impede the general health of the population.
Dr. MB
MB
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Libyan Arab Jamahiriya

« Reply #20 on: January 10, 2021, 01:43:05 AM »

No

I'm sorry, but whatever medical condition someone has, should not impede the general health of the population.

the amount of people with a medical condition that would prevent them from getting a vaccine is too small to actually have an impact on the health of the population as a whole
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #21 on: January 10, 2021, 01:55:45 AM »

No

That's just ignorant. There are people so allergic to certain vaccines that taking them means death. That's the whole point of herd immunity--inoculate everyone else to protect the people who can't be vaccinated.
GM Team Member and Senator WB
weatherboy1102
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.61, S: -7.83

P
WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #22 on: January 10, 2021, 02:07:52 AM »

I'm pretty socially libertarian but this is the one issue where public safety trumps protecting some gem-healing dumb f**ks feel feels
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 10, 2021, 02:18:07 AM »

Adults should not be forced to take vaccinations and children are not a high priority group for the COVID vaccine.

It looks like it won't matter too much.  First off, until there is sufficient supply that we can vaccinate everyone who wants to be vaccinated, there's little reason to even consider forced vaccination.  Second, assuming the vaccines are as effective as reported, unless we have truly atrocious levels of vaccine refusal, we should be able to reach herd immunity without forcing vaccination. Third, once we get COVID mostly under control in the first-world, it'll be far more important to get vaccine supply to third-world countries than to worry about the last few percent of idiots here. We have far more to fear from a new vaccine-resistant strain developing in the third-world and coming here than we do from it happening amidst the anti-vaxxer idiots amongst us.

There's just no reason for this for the reasons quoted above as well. Liberals love their authoritarian technocracy fantasies these days.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #24 on: January 10, 2021, 02:23:29 AM »

Just make there be a $100 credit if you get it, and don't worry about anyone who decides it's not worth the credit.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies