Worst President?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 04:35:11 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  Individual Politics (Moderator: The Dowager Mod)
  Worst President?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Who is the worst President, Andrew Johnson or Donald Trump?
Andrew Johnson is the worst President

Donald Trump is the worst President

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 78

Author Topic: Worst President?  (Read 1481 times)
Lincoln Republican
Winfield
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2021, 11:26:42 AM »

Who is the worst President, Andrew Johnson or Donald Trump?

Please vote and discuss.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 11:46:24 AM »

Andrew Johnson, and it isn't even close. Trump is racist, yes, but he has nothing on Johnson, who paved the way for Jim Crow for the next century.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 01:08:05 PM »

Andrew Johnson actually successfully organized a (bloodless) overturn of the country’s government by attempting to reinstate the old political diagrams before the civil war for a longer while. The result was constant massacres of African Americans and an immensely corrupt government.
TDAS04
Atlas Star
Bhutan

« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 01:18:03 PM »

Why isn't James Buchanan an option?
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 01:19:29 PM »

Trump
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 01:27:33 PM »

Likely Andrew Johnson, but the poll should include James Buchanan as well, and also things are so crazy these days that I really want to wait January 20 for my judgment.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 04:33:38 PM »

The would have been a toss-up for me before the election.  But now, it's definitively Trump in my mind. 

As awful as Andrew Johnson (and Buchanan) were, I think this question needs to be answered at least somewhat in the context of the moral consensus of the time.  Otherwise you can argue that Warren Harding was a better President than George Washington because Washington owned slaves and Harding didn't.

Trump is clearly the most incompetent president, as well as the biggest moral outlier.  I.e. there are plenty of prominent politicians of their time who would have been as bad as Buchanan or Johnson had they been elected president.  There's basically no plausible candidate who would have been anywhere near as bad as Trump on many, many dimensions.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 05:05:40 PM »

The long term damage Johnson did is hard to overstate. I could see the case for Trump ultimately being worse but I'd probably need a few years of hindsight to be comfortable saying that myself
S019
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -1.39

P P P

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 08:00:25 PM »

Write-In: James Buchanan, Trump is now in the discussion with Pierce, Buchanan, Johnson, Harding, Jackson, Fillmore, etc.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 11:09:35 PM »

Likely Andrew Johnson, but the poll should include James Buchanan as well, and also things are so crazy these days that I really want to wait January 20 for my judgment.

Pretty much this ... the events at the Capitol were so damn jarring, that I need a while to process them and try to think clearly.  I might just arrive at the (obvious now??) opinion that Trump IS, in fact, the worst President ever ... but I'd like to do so with less emotion involved.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 11:25:36 PM »

The would have been a toss-up for me before the election.  But now, it's definitively Trump in my mind. 

As awful as Andrew Johnson (and Buchanan) were, I think this question needs to be answered at least somewhat in the context of the moral consensus of the time.  Otherwise you can argue that Warren Harding was a better President than George Washington because Washington owned slaves and Harding didn't.

Trump is clearly the most incompetent president, as well as the biggest moral outlier.  I.e. there are plenty of prominent politicians of their time who would have been as bad as Buchanan or Johnson had they been elected president.  There's basically no plausible candidate who would have been anywhere near as bad as Trump on many, many dimensions.

Agree on all points.
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 09, 2021, 01:58:51 AM »

I’m still thinking Buchanan, because I feel like his actions had worse long-term consequences, but after all the has happened, I’ll have to wait and see if that holds.
An American Tail: Fubart Goes West
Fubart Solman
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 10, 2021, 03:54:36 AM »

I would still rank Buchanan as being worse than Johnson. Buchanan fiddled while the country tipped itself apart. Johnson botched the recovery.

Truly, I want to just say that Trump is the worst, but it’s hard to say without 50 years of hindsight.
Senator Incitatus
AMB1996
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.06, S: 5.74

« Reply #13 on: January 10, 2021, 12:26:06 PM »

Neither is in my bottom 5.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to: