LA-05 Special Election Megathread: Gov. Edwards sets the election for March 20
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:36:43 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  LA-05 Special Election Megathread: Gov. Edwards sets the election for March 20
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: LA-05 Special Election Megathread: Gov. Edwards sets the election for March 20  (Read 2479 times)
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2021, 05:32:59 AM »

Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2021, 10:03:36 AM »

Isn’t Louisiana the last time a state had two special elections for congress on the same day?
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #2 on: January 14, 2021, 11:34:18 AM »

cafaulait37
Rookie
« Reply #3 on: January 14, 2021, 12:07:48 PM »

Isn’t Louisiana the last time a state had two special elections for congress on the same day?

North Carolina had two special elections in 2019.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 01:17:52 PM »

#endorsed
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 02:32:05 PM »

Well, that’s the race.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 02:37:42 PM »

Will this also be the date to replace Cedric Richmond?

Obviously the widow should win in a cakewalk after her tragic loss.
Stuart98
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.35, S: -5.83

« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 02:43:21 PM »

Yes.
DINGO Joe
dingojoe
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 02:44:21 PM »

You never know, a covid truther could run.
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #9 on: January 14, 2021, 02:53:16 PM »

I wondered why it didn’t work out for Maya Rockeymoore Cummings?
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -8.26, S: -6.09

« Reply #10 on: January 14, 2021, 02:55:07 PM »

Because she isn't very politically wise. She called Larry Hogan a white supremacist.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #11 on: January 14, 2021, 02:56:37 PM »

Because she isn't very politically wise. She called Larry Hogan a white supremacist.

I didn't know that, but fair points. Usually you would expect a sympathy vote. But calling Larry Hogan such is obviously ridiculous.
MaxQue
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #12 on: January 14, 2021, 03:15:04 PM »

She was a political staffer who married a Congressman 20 years older than her and had a cloud of scandal around her.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 15, 2021, 05:48:53 PM »

Duke of York

« Reply #14 on: January 15, 2021, 05:52:30 PM »

I would expect her too. She likely wins outright.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #15 on: February 09, 2021, 05:20:00 PM »

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #16 on: February 09, 2021, 11:24:38 PM »

If Julie Letlow wins the special election-which I think she will-she will become, to my knowledge, the second widow from Louisiana to be elected to Congress. Back in 1972, Democratic Rep. Hale Boggs, who was then the House Majority Leader, disappeared with Rep. Nick Begich (former Sen. Mark Begich's father) of Alaska and others in an official trip over that state. Boggs' widow, Lindy Boggs, subsequently ran for and won his seat, and served in Congress for nearly 20 years until her retirement in 1991, later becoming Ambassador to the Vatican under Bill Clinton.

Had Boggs not disappeared, he would have in all likelihood become the Speaker of the House when Carl Albert retired, rather than Tip O'Neill. An interesting trivia fact is that the Boggs' daughter was the late Cokie Roberts, a long-time and well-known ABC journalist. She spent much of her childhood on Capitol Hill. Another interesting fact is that Nick Begich had defeated his ultimate successor, Don Young, in the 1972 House election. Young, of course, won the special election the following year to succeed him, and is now the Dean of the House.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #17 on: February 09, 2021, 11:42:27 PM »

If Julie Letlow wins the special election-which I think she will-she will become, to my knowledge, the second widow from Louisiana to be elected to Congress. Back in 1972, Democratic Rep. Hale Boggs, who was then the House Majority Leader, disappeared with Rep. Nick Begich (former Sen. Mark Begich's father) of Alaska and others in an official trip over that state. Boggs' widow, Lindy Boggs, subsequently ran for and won his seat, and served in Congress for nearly 20 years until her retirement in 1991, later becoming Ambassador to the Vatican under Bill Clinton.

Had Boggs not disappeared, he would have in all likelihood become the Speaker of the House when Carl Albert retired, rather than Tip O'Neill. An interesting trivia fact is that the Boggs' daughter was the late Cokie Roberts, a long-time and well-known ABC journalist. She spent much of her childhood on Capitol Hill. Another interesting fact is that Nick Begich had defeated his ultimate successor, Don Young, in the 1972 House election. Young, of course, won the special election the following year to succeed him, and is now the Dean of the House.

Since we’re talking widow successors I’ll just point out that (to my knowledge) Doris Matsui is the only current widow successor serving and has been for 15 years. Her husband also died between congressional sessions.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #18 on: February 09, 2021, 11:58:11 PM »

Since we’re talking widow successors I’ll just point out that (to my knowledge) Doris Matsui is the only current widow successor serving and has been for 15 years. Her husband also died between congressional sessions.

She's the only incumbent but Lois Capps was still in the House 'til 2017, as were Mary Bono & Jo Ann Emerson 'til 2013.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #19 on: February 10, 2021, 11:11:18 AM »

That's right. Her husband, Bob Matsui, died on January 1, 2005, just two days before the 109th Congress convened. He was in Congress for nearly 26 years, from 1979-2005.

Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #20 on: February 10, 2021, 11:14:35 AM »

She's the only incumbent but Lois Capps was still in the House 'til 2017, as were Mary Bono & Jo Ann Emerson 'til 2013.

I didn't know about Emerson, but Mary Bono was of course the widow of the musician turned politician Sonny Bono, who was killed in a tragic ski accident back in 1998. The earliest example of "widow succession" in either House of Congress I can think of dates back to 1931. That year, Hattie Caraway of Arkansas was appointed to replace her late husband Thaddeus Caraway in the Senate, and won a full term the following year, serving until 1945.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #21 on: February 13, 2021, 12:28:49 AM »

Heartbreaking ad:

The Democrats have the same woman running like last year (Candy Christophe), but the difference is that this time, she’s the only Dem candidate.

Last year, several candidates split the Dem vote, so she missed the general election by a few hundred votes, enabling an all-GOP general election.

This time, Candy will coalesce the Dem vote, but Julia Letlow will still win a massive landslide, 76-24 or something, after 68-32 last year (primary).
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: March 20, 2021, 09:37:03 AM »

Not sure if this is going to a runoff or not, I would bet yes, with the number of non Letlow Republicans but she could very well get a majority on the first round. (Not that it really matters either way)
butWhyNot?
Rookie
United States
« Reply #23 on: March 20, 2021, 09:54:17 AM »

Key endorsement for Gary Chambers?

Obviously he will win over 50% on the first round! Cenk knows everything about jungle primaries! He should run for Congress himself!

(Satire obviously)
Left Wing
FalterinArc
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: March 20, 2021, 10:36:09 AM »

Key endorsement for Gary Chambers?

Obviously he will win over 50% on the first round! Cenk knows everything about jungle primaries! He should run for Congress himself!

(Satire obviously)

wrong thread
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies