Joe Manchin's reelection chances in 2024
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 11:08:28 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Joe Manchin's reelection chances in 2024
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: Assuming he plays his cards right for the next four years, do you think
Manchin will likely still loose, WV is too red and the country too polarized

Manchin will then have a fighting chance at reelection in 2024

Manchin will become the clear frontrunner

It will depend entirely on who his opponent will be and how they run

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 123

Author Topic: Joe Manchin's reelection chances in 2024  (Read 6931 times)
Agafin
Cameroon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 08, 2021, 02:49:22 AM »

Yes I know its too early to predict anything but it really seems to me that the current configuration of the senate is like the perfect setup for an eventual reelection of Senator Joe Manchin in 2024 (assuming he doesn't retire). Now obviously after the 2020 election, it really looked like he was a goner but I think he now has the chance of pulling a Susan Collins. Think about it, West Virginia is likely going to get the most national attention and be the most important it has been since it joined the union. Partially thanks to him, every one of Biden's cabinet picks (and eventual supreme court nominees) will be voted in, the $2k stimulus checks will pass, the affordable care act will be strengthened as well as most of the uncontroversial parts of the democratic agenda and all that will help make his democratic base in WV pretty happy. But at the same time, anything which is unpopular in WV (such as the Green New Deal or Medicare for All I assume) will fail and he can easily campaign on that, saying how he represents an independent voice for West Virginians  who doesn't systematically tow the party line (similar to Collins) and with the resume to back that up. Not to mention all the pork that will be thrown his way.

I just try to put myself in the skin of a moderate or even slightly conservative West Virginian. Who do I vote for? A republican who is just going to be another rubber stamp for the greater party's agenda and that no one will ever care about (republicans AND democrats), or Joe Manchin who while probably to the left of my political views is not too extreme and will make sure that a small state like West Virginia never gets the short end of the stick on any bill and instead has a huge say in decisions taken in congress. That decision seems quite easy.

But maybe I'm too bullish on his chances. Is the country now too polarized for that and the coattails of the top ticket will just drag any republican over the finish line?
Ron DeSantis enthusiast
FranciscoM97

« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 03:08:38 AM »

I'm not sure he would run in 2024, he would be 77, but just in case, it would be a toss-up, in 2018 against a very weak candidate and in a blue wave year he won by "only" 3.31%. If he votes for the finishing the filibuster, DC statehood or something like this, he is done for reelection.
America Needs a 13-6 Progressive SCOTUS
Solid4096
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.88, S: -8.51

P P P
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2021, 03:20:08 AM »

He was already done for re-election in 2024 the moment he voted to convict Trump. Safe R regardless of whether or not Manchin runs.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2021, 06:14:57 AM »

If he plays his cards right, he could now have a fighting chance, but he’ll still be the underdog. No question that this 50-50 Senate is one of the best things that could have happened for him from an electoral standpoint.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2021, 06:42:09 AM »

He was already done for re-election in 2024 the moment he voted to convict Trump. Safe R regardless of whether or not Manchin runs.

No one is going to remember that in 4 years
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2021, 06:45:03 AM »

No one is going to remember that in 4 years

The NRSC is going to remind them of Manchin's vote to convict Trump.
Secretary of State Liberal Hack
IBNU
YaBB God
Singapore

« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2021, 07:43:43 AM »

About the same as mine*

*(i'm not an American citizen and won't turn 30 until 2032.)
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 08:17:37 AM »

Yes I know its too early to predict anything but it really seems to me that the current configuration of the senate is like the perfect setup for an eventual reelection of Senator Joe Manchin in 2024 (assuming he doesn't retire). Now obviously after the 2020 election, it really looked like he was a goner but I think he now has the chance of pulling a Susan Collins. Think about it, West Virginia is likely going to get the most national attention and be the most important it has been since it joined the union. Partially thanks to him, every one of Biden's cabinet picks (and eventual supreme court nominees) will be voted in, the $2k stimulus checks will pass, the affordable care act will be strengthened as well as most of the uncontroversial parts of the democratic agenda and all that will help make his democratic base in WV pretty happy. But at the same time, anything which is unpopular in WV (such as the Green New Deal or Medicare for All I assume) will fail and he can easily campaign on that, saying how he represents an independent voice for West Virginians  who doesn't systematically tow the party line (similar to Collins) and with the resume to back that up. Not to mention all the pork that will be thrown his way.

I just try to put myself in the skin of a moderate or even slightly conservative West Virginian. Who do I vote for? A republican who is just going to be another rubber stamp for the greater party's agenda and that no one will ever care about (republicans AND democrats), or Joe Manchin who while probably to the left of my political views is not too extreme and will make sure that a small state like West Virginia never gets the short end of the stick on any bill and instead has a huge say in decisions taken in congress. That decision seems quite easy.

But maybe I'm too bullish on his chances. Is the country now too polarized for that and the coattails of the top ticket will just drag any republican over the finish line?

LOL. I seriously doubt that confirming Biden's cabinet will be a very popular issue in WV (especially with people like Kerry/Tanden who have basically promised to wipe out the coal industry).

Also, if you still believe that being an influential member of Congress will allow you to win reelection, as a democrat, in a Trump+15 state/district, you should have a conversation with Collin Peterson.
It's Perro Sanxe wot won it
Mimoha
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -5.22

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 08:31:50 AM »

He barely won in a midterm year against a weak opponent with a good national environment for the Democrats. In 2024, in a presidential year the race will be much more nationalized and the Republicans will, in all likelihood, have a more favorable environment than in 2018.

And, as has been mentioned before, some of his votes (especially the one to convict Trump) aren’t precisely popular in a state like West Virginia. Republican voters are more partisan and won’t forgive and forget that easily.

He’s not going to be the Democratic Susan Collins. He’s DOA.
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 09:03:24 AM »

No question that this 50-50 Senate is one of the best things that could have happened for him from an electoral standpoint.

It’s definitely going to be interesting to watch Democratic senators leverage their votes on “big” legislation (to the extent that there will be any) in this Senate in order to bring home the bacon, especially with earmarks coming back. I read an academic paper in 2019 theorizing that the elimination of earmarks contributed to increased polarization, the perception that Congress is ineffective, and the decrease of incumbency advantage.
wbrocks67
Atlas Star

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 09:06:21 AM »

He barely won in a midterm year against a weak opponent with a good national environment for the Democrats. In 2024, in a presidential year the race will be much more nationalized and the Republicans will, in all likelihood, have a more favorable environment than in 2018.

And, as has been mentioned before, some of his votes (especially the one to convict Trump) aren’t precisely popular in a state like West Virginia. Republican voters are more partisan and won’t forgive and forget that easily.

He’s not going to be the Democratic Susan Collins. He’s DOA.

He already is the Democratic Susan Collins. He "barely won in a midterm year"... yes, in WEST VIRGINIA, that votes R+40.
It's Perro Sanxe wot won it
Mimoha
Spain

Political Matrix
E: -4.65, S: -5.22

« Reply #11 on: January 08, 2021, 09:27:43 AM »

He already is the Democratic Susan Collins. He "barely won in a midterm year"... yes, in WEST VIRGINIA, that votes R+40.

Susan Collins won by a comfortable margin in a presidential year. Very different from Joe Manchin's situation. And yes, it is a fact that he won (narrowly) in a state that went for Trump by 40 points, but I reiterate that it was a midterm year with a very favorable environment for Dems.
MT Treasurer
IndyRep
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 09:49:09 AM »

Wait, people here actually think a 50-50 Senate in which Manchin will have to cast the deciding vote will... improve Manchin's reelection chances? Hahahaha

He’s gonna get blown out of the water in 2024, not that I expect him to run (his voting record makes that pretty clear).
mardigrappa
Rookie
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 09:49:55 AM »

In a presidential election year scenario, even with 2018 which was pretty favorable to Democrats - but more importantly wasn't too nationalized, I already thought he was going to be doomed. Him being the centerpiece of important senate votes is not likely to boost his electoral chances irregardless. And it is likely to get him in trouble more if anything. Unfortunate, although Sherrod Brown has a bit more of a fighting chance. Jon Tester is probably going to have the same fate as Manchin..
Pollster
YaBB God

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2021, 09:53:39 AM »

Susan Collins won by a comfortable margin in a presidential year. Very different from Joe Manchin's situation. And yes, it is a fact that he won (narrowly) in a state that went for Trump by 40 points, but I reiterate that it was a midterm year with a very favorable environment for Dems.

Going to do my best to avoid turning this into another Collins/Manchin #analysis thread, but Collins' 2020 margin would've probably been close to identical to Manchin's 2018 margin if the race went to a RCV second round or the liberal independent didn't run.
ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2021, 10:26:13 AM »

I’m pretty sure he’ll retire, but if he doesn’t, he’s as DOA as Cory Gardner barring a complete trainwreck of an opponent.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2021, 11:32:57 AM »

After voting to convict, his recent remarks on the election, and the loss of John Perdue last year, there's absolutely zero chance he runs again. His R successor will crack 70% unless it's someone with baggage like Alex Mooney, and even then I don't see them falling below 65% at the absolute worst.
W
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.71, S: -8.61

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2021, 11:40:08 AM »

He'll probably retire. But I'll be the one option 4 voter.
Galeel
Oashigo
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 08, 2021, 12:39:38 PM »

I assume he will retire but it's safe R either way
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #19 on: January 08, 2021, 12:53:53 PM »

Non-existent.
Gracile
gracile
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -7.65

« Reply #20 on: January 08, 2021, 12:58:20 PM »

Manchin will probably retire in 2024, given some of his recent actions and the fact that he had to be coaxed into running in 2018 in the first place, but even if he were running for reelection, this race would be Safe R.
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2021, 01:00:10 PM »

I always thought that he intended to retire that year. Even if he didn't do all those things that would make him unpopular (conviction vote, vote against ACB, etc.), he would still lose reelection. It would be very hard to hold on while the Republican at the top of the ticket is winning the state by 35+ points. If Democrats still have a Senate majority then, his chances are even lower. But that doesn't matter because I'm pretty sure that he will retire.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2021, 01:04:00 PM »

Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 08, 2021, 01:14:54 PM »