Democrats Need to Split California ASAP into 4 new Blue States
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 15, 2024, 04:57:02 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Democrats Need to Split California ASAP into 4 new Blue States
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2]
Author Topic: Democrats Need to Split California ASAP into 4 new Blue States  (Read 2216 times)
AGA
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.42, S: -4.70

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: January 08, 2021, 12:44:54 PM »

I don't get all the people suggesting that New York be split. It can't be split into two Safe D states without doing something unreasonable, like splitting up New York City.
Cashew
United States

« Reply #26 on: January 08, 2021, 01:22:50 PM »

Statehood for every neighborhood in Los Angeles.
Fmr. Gov. NickG
NickG
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -8.00, S: -3.49

« Reply #27 on: January 08, 2021, 01:58:19 PM »

I am all for immediate statehood for DC and Puerto Rico. 

And I do believe the immense size of California relative to its representations is strong evidence of the need to make fundamental reforms to the institution of the Senate.
And I'm open to the idea of splitting the state (although I have no real personal stake in it).

However, if you are going to support this, you need to do so fully understanding its costs, and by making an argument that the people of California themselves will be better off having their state dismantled into several parts.

The state government of California is a massive institution with tons of legacy costs and interlocking bureaucracies.  Even just the state pension system is worth several hundred billion dollars, not to mention state roads, state prisons, multiple huge university systems, etc.  Who exactly is going to take on all of these responsibilities in a smooth and equitable way?

You can't seriously suggest this should all be broken up just so one party can win a few more Senate seats.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #28 on: January 08, 2021, 02:09:08 PM »

This will never happen
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #29 on: January 08, 2021, 02:16:44 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2021, 02:20:35 PM by StateBoiler »

One of the biggest structural problems that democrats face is that much of their current growth is concentrated in California making it useless in senate races and almost useless Presidentaly. Splitting the state into 4 new blue states is the only possible way that the democrats prevent the structural disadvantage from growing.

They need to immeditatly sit down with Newsome and other California democratic legislature(which control a 2/3rds majority nessecsary to make the appropriate changes) to split the state in such a way to introduce 4 new blue states to remove the structural and electoral disadvantage of their concentration.

Are you one of the majority of people on this board younger than 28?

Have you paid attention to California demographic and state financial trends lately? They're losing a representative this census, possibly 2. Meanwhile you have this going on with tech in the Bay Area and how that's going to wreck government finances: https://www.piratewires.com/p/extract-or-die I know from another industry I follow - the entire American motorcycle industry are based in southern California, and almost all of them are considering leaving. One of them has already declared they're going to Florida.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #30 on: January 08, 2021, 02:19:30 PM »

Absolutely not. It sets a bad precedent and I doubt Californians are hot for it.

Admitting Washington DC and Puerto Rico would make much more sense.
Pages: 1 [2]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies