Would Perdue/Loeffler have won if they went with the "Check on Biden" message?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 30, 2024, 09:24:46 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Would Perdue/Loeffler have won if they went with the "Check on Biden" message?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Poll
Question: Would Perdue/Loeffler have won if they went with the "Check on Biden" message?
Both Rs win

Only Loeffler wins

Only Perdue wins

Both Rs lose

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 37

Author Topic: Would Perdue/Loeffler have won if they went with the "Check on Biden" message?  (Read 974 times)
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2021, 04:59:03 PM »

Some Republicans think that emphasizing conservative credentials and attacking their opponents as radicals was not a great strategy for Loeffler/Perdue, and they should have ran on a message of "Putting a Check on Joe Biden" to win.
TheElectoralBoobyPrize

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 05:07:09 PM »

The problem with that argument is that it means accepting Biden’s victory. A good number of Trump voters would’ve stayed home.
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 05:32:43 PM »

It would have worked for Perdue but only with Trump's blessing.

If Trump had said "Look, I lost. Joe Biden will be your president. But all is not lost. You can put a check on him by voting for Perdue and Loeffler."

Loeffler was so weak, I don't know that it would have saved her.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 05:39:34 PM »

Warnock was always gonna win, Perdue had is name recognition by Gov Sonny Perdue, that's why it was so close, but Perdue disappeared in the last stages of campaign
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 06:22:34 PM »

This message would have been more effective if McConnell and other Senate Republicans hadn't been so obstructionist. As long as that gets highlighted adequately by Democrats, this "check on Biden" message quickly loses its effectiveness.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 06:38:19 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2021, 08:05:04 AM by Frenchrepublican »

I'm not so sure about that because Georgia doesn't have a large pool of swing voters, it's a very racially polarised state and ticket splitting is not a very common practice in this state.
PAK Man

« Reply #6 on: January 07, 2021, 12:46:31 AM »

The problem with that argument is that it means accepting Biden’s victory. A good number of Trump voters would’ve stayed home.

Took the words right out of my mouth. Trump not conceding backed them into a corner and ruined this potential line of attack, which could have saved them both.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 08, 2021, 12:49:05 AM »

Purdue/Loeffler were finished most because of the state's underlying shift, not because of the antics of Senate Republicans or Trump. As such, I don't think that even a "Check on Biden" message would have saved them.
WD
Western Democrat
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -7.35, S: -0.35

« Reply #8 on: January 08, 2021, 12:51:00 AM »

no they lost because they didn’t distance themselves from young kim
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #9 on: January 08, 2021, 12:58:02 AM »

Purdue/Loeffler were finished most because of the state's underlying shift, not because of the antics of Senate Republicans or Trump. As such, I don't think that even a "Check on Biden" message would have saved them.
I somewhat agree.

Lots of people seem to think Georgia will flip back to being a red state.

The state is becoming hostile to republicans due to the demographics and just the urban growth. Cobb and Gwinnett county are not going to start trending red again.

The GOP needs to squeeze tons of votes out of rural areas and the margins are getting weaker even in Paulding, Forsyth, and Cherokee.

You can only squeeze so many votes out of North Georgia before they get cancelled out by the larger Atlanta counties.

I think this was the last competitive race, plus maybe the 2022 races. I do think the GOP could have won this year.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 08, 2021, 01:01:22 AM »

I agree.

Lots of people seem to think Georgia will flip back to being a red state.

The state is becoming hostile to republicans due to the demographics and just the urban growth. Cobb and Gwinnett county are not going to start trending red again.

The GOP needs to squeeze tons of votes out of rural areas and the margins are getting weaker even in Paulding, Forsyth, and Cherokee.

You can only squeeze so many votes out of North Georgia before they get cancelled out by the larger Atlanta counties.
Yep, agreed 1000%.
If anything, Forsyth County going Republican by smaller and smaller margins is very bad news for the state party. We are looking at shrinking GOP margins in very, very crucial areas.
I said multiple times elsewhere that even if both Senate Dems lost, I'd bet on the state going to Biden, even consider it safe Biden, in 2024. It's wave-proof, hyper-polarized, and just not the place you see a particularly large number of swing voters.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies