DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 09:17:16 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 159 160 161 [162] 163 164 165 166 167 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 274569 times)
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #4025 on: January 12, 2021, 07:20:31 PM »

I wonder how many GOP senators secretly want a Trump conviction so he's not a primary threat in 2024.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4026 on: January 12, 2021, 07:22:38 PM »

WTF?

I double checked this, and it's true. What the ACTUAL F!?

These people are absolute maniacs! Say what you will about their ability to empathize with other humans, but why harm an innocent animal!? Something is inherently wrong with you if you support Trump! You are a despicable psychopath if you do. I'm not pulling punches anymore. F*** Trump and everyone who ever voted for him!

If not mistaken, the mantee are still considered an endangered species. Because they swim so close to the surface, many small boats (and their propellers) accidently hit them, and injure or kill them.

That's what makes this so awful. However, since they're a protected species, the culprit is going to incur a hefty fine at a minimum. That's the least of what they deserve though.
Del Tachi
Republican95
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.52, S: 1.46

P P P

« Reply #4027 on: January 12, 2021, 07:22:56 PM »

I wonder how many GOP senators secretly want a Trump conviction so he's not a primary threat in 2024.

Impeachment doesn't make you ineligible to run for a second term.
DaleCooper
Atlas Icon

P P P
« Reply #4028 on: January 12, 2021, 07:23:44 PM »

Strategically it makes no sense not to put an end to his place in the party. You can argue that they need his voters to win, but after losing the Senate even that doesn't seem to be the case. Do they really think they need him in 2024 to unseat Joe Manchin or something? They're cowards, but they must understand that they have an opportunity here.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #4029 on: January 12, 2021, 07:24:17 PM »

Congress can, and presumably would, do just that when impeaching an official.
Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4030 on: January 12, 2021, 07:24:54 PM »

Once convicted, Senate can by majority vote, bar them from holding office in the future.
Angel of Death
« Reply #4031 on: January 12, 2021, 07:36:08 PM »

Once convicted, Senate can by majority vote, bar them from holding office in the future.

The Constitution isn't really clear on what kind of majority is required for disqualification to holding office:

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4032 on: January 12, 2021, 07:38:00 PM »

The Constitution isn't really clear on what kind of majority is required for disqualification to holding office:

The Senate shall have the sole Power to try all Impeachments. When sitting for that Purpose, they shall be on Oath or Affirmation. When the President of the United States is tried, the Chief Justice shall preside: And no Person shall be convicted without the Concurrence of two thirds of the Members present.

Judgment in Cases of Impeachment shall not extend further than to removal from Office, and disqualification to hold and enjoy any Office of honor, Trust or Profit under the United States: but the Party convicted shall nevertheless be liable and subject to Indictment, Trial, Judgment and Punishment, according to Law.

The resolution itself contains language barring him from holding office according to what I saw earlier, so if that gets 2/3rds, the concern is probably moot.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4033 on: January 12, 2021, 07:44:11 PM »

H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #4034 on: January 12, 2021, 07:44:54 PM »

Could you imagine what would happen if Ilhan Omar refused to be searched? Anyways, Boebert should not be seated in that case.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4035 on: January 12, 2021, 07:48:03 PM »

Could you imagine what would happen if Ilhan Omar refused to be searched? Anyways, Boebert should not be seated in that case.

Boebert is a grandstander, and we unfortunately have too many of those in Congress. She certainly is provoking much more controversy than her predecessor Scott Tipton. Tipton was a Generic Republican, but he was also a backbencher and generally stayed out of the limelight. Ironically enough, this is one of the reasons why he lost the primary to Boebert last year.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #4036 on: January 12, 2021, 07:53:14 PM »

Boebert is a grandstander, and we unfortunately have too many of those in Congress. She certainly is provoking much more controversy than her predecessor Scott Tipton. Tipton was a Generic Republican, but he was also a backbencher and generally stayed out of the limelight. Ironically enough, this is one of the reasons why he lost the primary to Boebert last year.

Boebert has, unsurprisingly, proven to be the absolute worst Republican freshman so far. She is even ahead of stiff competition from Madison Cawthorn and Marjorie Taylor Greene.

This is definitely going to be on the mind of some. I never put the ambitious cynicism of Republicans past them. I guess it's a gamble though depending on how the base sees it and where the party ends up during the Biden years. Cruz and Hawley will probably think that sticking by Trump as a martyr is the better plan and others like Sasse might think otherwise, for the party to move on from him.

Also cynical will be the GOP Senators who don't have to be re-elected for another four to six years, without 2024 ambitions, and can afford to vote for Trump with little to no consequence.  
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #4037 on: January 12, 2021, 07:54:18 PM »

I went against my better judgement and tuned into CNN to see their coverage. They were interviewing a Texas "militaman" at the state house. Really learned their lesson I see.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #4038 on: January 12, 2021, 08:04:50 PM »

Boebert has, unsurprisingly, proven to be the absolute worst Republican freshman so far. She is even ahead of stiff competition from Madison Cawthorn and Marjorie Taylor Greene.

This is definitely going to be on the mind of some. I never put the ambitious cynicism of Republicans past them. I guess it's a gamble though depending on how the base sees it and where the party ends up during the Biden years. Cruz and Hawley will probably think that sticking by Trump as a martyr is the better plan and others like Sasse might think otherwise, for the party to move on from him.

Also cynical will be the GOP Senators who don't have to be re-elected for another four to six years, without 2024 ambitions, and can afford to vote for Trump with little to no consequence.  

I think they're tied for absolute worst. It's possible for more than one person to be at the bottom of the barrel. But it is certainly a shame that Diane Mitsch-Bush, who was a Generic Democrat very much similar to Michael Bennet or John Hickenlooper, was unable to defeat her last year. Colorado's Republican House delegation is among the worst in the country (again, a race to the bottom of the barrel), and this state has never been known to elect moderate Republicans at the federal level. We're the same state that produced such worthies as Tom Tancredo and Marilyn Musgrave. Boebert is certainly keeping this odious tradition strong.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #4039 on: January 12, 2021, 08:06:31 PM »

I went against my better judgement and tuned into CNN to see their coverage. They were interviewing a Texas "militaman" at the state house. Really learned their lesson I see.

BUT BOTH SIDES
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4040 on: January 12, 2021, 08:10:32 PM »

More Republicans are now freaking out and refusing to go through the medal detector.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4041 on: January 12, 2021, 08:11:59 PM »

More Republicans are now freaking out and refusing to go through the medal detector.

Is there someone (media) showing this live?.
If so, where.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #4042 on: January 12, 2021, 08:12:59 PM »

These people are f'ing children.  Don't the people back home have any dignity?  They really want these lunatics representing them?  Telling the rest of America that their little part of the nation is a dangerous joke that you should never visit?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4043 on: January 12, 2021, 08:14:27 PM »

If so, where.

Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4044 on: January 12, 2021, 08:17:02 PM »

Members of Congress should be exempt from security checks.
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #4045 on: January 12, 2021, 08:18:03 PM »

Members of Congress should be exempt from security checks.
Why?
North Carolina Yankee
Moderators
Atlas Institution
United States

« Reply #4046 on: January 12, 2021, 08:19:27 PM »

If so, where.

Utterly pathetic.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #4047 on: January 12, 2021, 08:21:39 PM »

This shouldn't require any explanation.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4048 on: January 12, 2021, 08:22:54 PM »

Not after the intelligence reports that the insurrectionists had inside help. 
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #4049 on: January 12, 2021, 08:23:54 PM »

If so, where.

This is an absolute joke.
What a bunch of ignorant a$$holes.

Well there you have it Republicans ... the duchebags you elected on full display.
Are Capitol police refusing them entry ... stopping them from acting like an elitist, bratty adolescent? If not, they should be. Use force if necessary (man-handle them and their unchecked bags/briefcases.)
Pages: 1 ... 157 158 159 160 161 [162] 163 164 165 166 167 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies