DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 31, 2024, 08:03:29 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 137 138 139 [140] 141 142 143 144 145 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 275589 times)
LtNOWIS

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3475 on: January 09, 2021, 02:10:12 PM »

It's used by the subset of the Alt-right community who post Pepe the Frog memes.
Thirded. I hate that I know what that is.
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3476 on: January 09, 2021, 02:10:40 PM »

I have officially changed my prostitution stance because of this.
It is clear if we legalized and destigmatized the practice, a lot of this wouldn’t have happened.
I am guessing about 70% of alt-righters started out that way because they couldn’t get any action and became incels.
(I am actually serious though)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3477 on: January 09, 2021, 02:15:42 PM »

Digging deeper into this poll, 23% of respondents (47% of Republicans) believe the events Wednesday were "mostly a legitimate protest," compared to 72% (47% of Republicans) who believe it was "mostly people acting unlawfully."

56% believe Capitol Hill police were "not aggressive enough" in dealing with the terrorists.

One note on this is that I suspect there's a decent amount of people on the left who recoil at the thought of saying police need to be "more aggressive" in any context, even if they think the Capitol Police should have been better prepared and not, you know, taken selfies with the intruders. Basically this tweet, which I've seen making the rounds:

Torrain
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.42, S: -0.52

« Reply #3478 on: January 09, 2021, 02:17:41 PM »

Tintrlvr
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3479 on: January 09, 2021, 02:18:39 PM »

After all, a picture at the Capitol really only makes you automatically guilty of Trespassing. Nothing else. (though the Capitol probably has plenty of security cameras so that should be easier than I am giving it credit).

I mean, to be fair, we also have several people on tape saying their intent was to foment "revolution" and prevent the inauguration of the lawfully elected president —not to mention eyewitness accounts of the terrorists chanting "hang Mike Pence." Shouldn't be too hard to establish that those people are guilty of sedition and rebellion.

You can also prove intent through their Twitter posts, Parler posts, etc. There undoubtedly are slam-dunk cases for sedition against at least 100 people who invaded the Capitol building.
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3480 on: January 09, 2021, 02:27:04 PM »

Legal question: Is this entrapment or is entrapment defined more narrowly than that?

Re: the Milley-Pelosi call, I guess I'm glad to know for purposes of future precedent that the military is committed to remaining lawful neutral in this mess at all costs, but I'm also glad to know that the already-existing protocols for resisting illegal orders are more substantial than I had realized, and that Milley was willing to brief Pelosi on them.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #3481 on: January 09, 2021, 02:28:03 PM »

Legal question: Is this entrapment or is entrapment defined more narrowly than that?

Further question: If it is entrapment, can a cop just tell some non-cop friend to post this on their behalf to avoid that?
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3482 on: January 09, 2021, 02:32:28 PM »

Entrapment would be the police asking someone to commit a crime. This post isn’t doing that
SteveRogers
duncan298
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -3.87, S: -5.04

« Reply #3483 on: January 09, 2021, 02:49:35 PM »

Re: the Milley-Pelosi call, I guess I'm glad to know for purposes of future precedent that the military is committed to remaining lawful neutral in this mess at all costs, but I'm also glad to know that the already-existing protocols for resisting illegal orders are more substantial than I had realized, and that Milley was willing to brief Pelosi on them.
How would politely asking someone to list all their past crimes be entrapment?
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #3484 on: January 09, 2021, 02:54:59 PM »

Entrapment means that the police actually caused the person to commit the crime. By definition no past crimes can be entrapment, and fooling someone into a confession is neither entrapment and happens all the time (the old trope of someone getting busted, flipping, and then wearing a wire to turn over the other conspirators to save themselves is the most famous example.)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3485 on: January 09, 2021, 02:56:18 PM »
« Edited: January 09, 2021, 03:00:19 PM by Badger »

Pelosi asked the military to effectively carry out a coup

www.nytimes.com%2F2021%2F01%2F08%2Fus%2Fpolitics%2Ftrump-pelosi-nuclear-military.html

Good to know you're on the case in opposing illegitimate Violent transfers of power! Great to know that we have sharp-eyed rational people like you willing to call a spade a spade and pose such action diligently where the threat real lies! Great job not turning this into a knee-jerk contrarian attempt at both sidesism!! 👍
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3486 on: January 09, 2021, 03:33:46 PM »

We had people with Nazi and Confederate symbols storm the Capitol, something the actual Nazis and Confederates were never able to do. It’s just crazy.

I never thought about it that way, but you are correct.
There was a disturbing green (lime-green) flag these Fascists had that I saw on TV, that very similarly resembled Nazi Germany's naval battle flag (Kriegsmarine).
Nazi scum!

Does anyone know more about what this green flag, exactly represented to these trump loons?

I remember seeing the Kekistan flag too.

It's used by the subset of the Alt-right community who post Pepe the Frog memes.

Yes, I believe that is the one I saw the trump Fascists waving.
Notice how it is very similar to the Nazi Kriegsmarine (Navy) battle flag, used by Germany through all of WWII (shown above).
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #3487 on: January 09, 2021, 03:42:54 PM »

Is Adam Kinzinger still the only GOP house member calling for impeachment.
Ferguson97
Atlas Star
United States

P P P
« Reply #3488 on: January 09, 2021, 03:49:14 PM »

Digging deeper into this poll, 23% of respondents (47% of Republicans) believe the events Wednesday were "mostly a legitimate protest," compared to 72% (47% of Republicans) who believe it was "mostly people acting unlawfully."

56% believe Capitol Hill police were "not aggressive enough" in dealing with the terrorists.

One note on this is that I suspect there's a decent amount of people on the left who recoil at the thought of saying police need to be "more aggressive" in any context, even if they think the Capitol Police should have been better prepared and not, you know, taken selfies with the intruders. Basically this tweet, which I've seen making the rounds:

Frankly I'm of the opinion that shooting unarmed black people is wrong, and being tough against terrorists trying to break into the Capitol is acceptable. Crazy concept, I know.
Rules for me, but not for thee
Dabeav
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.19, S: -5.39

« Reply #3489 on: January 09, 2021, 03:52:40 PM »

We had people with Nazi and Confederate symbols storm the Capitol, something the actual Nazis and Confederates were never able to do. It’s just crazy.

I never thought about it that way, but you are correct.
There was a disturbing green (lime-green) flag these Fascists had that I saw on TV, that very similarly resembled Nazi Germany's naval battle flag (Kriegsmarine).
Nazi scum!

Does anyone know more about what this green flag, exactly represented to these trump loons?

I remember seeing the Kekistan flag too.

Yes, I believe that is the one I saw the trump Fascists waving.
Notice how it is very similar to the Nazi Kriegsmarine (Navy) battle flag, used by Germany through all of WWII (shown above).

It's a meme flag to poke fun at PC culture and them banning everything, especially offensive comedy.
Old Man Willow
ShadowOfTheWave
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #3490 on: January 09, 2021, 04:08:21 PM »

Lin Wood is insane and needs to be in prison.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3491 on: January 09, 2021, 04:09:48 PM »

www.nytimes.com%2F2021%2F01%2F08%2Fus%2Fpolitics%2Ftrump-pelosi-nuclear-military.html

Good to know you're on the case in opposing illegitimate Violent transfers of power! Great to know that we have sharp-eyed rational people like you willing to call a spade a spade and pose such action diligently where the threat real lies! Great job not turning this into a knee-jerk contrarian attempt at both sidesism!! 👍

glad I could help 👍
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #3492 on: January 09, 2021, 04:17:55 PM »

That's not a coup, that is an effort to make sure that a maniac doesn't misuse military forces to exact revenge over losing an election.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

« Reply #3493 on: January 09, 2021, 04:18:09 PM »

Trump needs to go to jail for the rest of his life and Don Jr and Rudy is gonna get disbarred
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3494 on: January 09, 2021, 04:19:26 PM »

That's not a coup, that is an effort to make sure that a maniac doesn't misuse military forces to exact revenge over losing an election.

There's a large grey area here between the military acting as if everything is normal and the Joint Chiefs sending the troops down Pennsylvania Avenue to expunge Trump from the West Wing. I think Pelosi and Milley were attempting to negotiate where exactly in that grey area we currently are.
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #3495 on: January 09, 2021, 04:26:30 PM »

How does the nuclear code thing actually work in practice ?

Trump cannot launch a nuclear missile just with his own code, right ?

There needs to be another and/or 3rd person present (VP, Defense Minister), correct ?

The fact that we are even debating this and the inquiry from Pelosi shows how mentally ill Trump really is and how he’s turned the US into a failed state and Banana Republic similar to Somalia, Syria, Afghanistan or Venezuela ...
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #3496 on: January 09, 2021, 04:35:05 PM »

How does the nuclear code thing actually work in practice ?

Trump cannot launch a nuclear missile just with his own code, right ?

There needs to be another and/or 3rd person present (VP, Defense Minister), correct ?

The fact that we are even debating this and the inquiry from Pelosi shows how mentally ill Trump really is and how he’s turned the US into a failed state and Banana Republic similar to Somalia, Syria, Afghanistan or Venezuela ...

the football LIKELY has some pre-designated targets in it already, so he doesn't need anyone, but nothing is certain because obviously no one knows what's in the football aside from a very tight circle.
Stockdale for Veep

« Reply #3497 on: January 09, 2021, 04:35:24 PM »

Biden's 2022 SotU is definitely happening on January 6th.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3498 on: January 09, 2021, 04:37:12 PM »

Trump needs to go to jail for the rest of his life and Don Jr and Rudy is gonna also go to jail for the rest of their lives
FIFY, also Eric
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3499 on: January 09, 2021, 04:48:29 PM »

Seth Abramson doing a deep dive on the President’s call to insurrection.

https://twitter.com/SethAbramson/status/1347908845281095680
Pages: 1 ... 135 136 137 138 139 [140] 141 142 143 144 145 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies