DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 02, 2024, 03:35:33 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 131 132 133 [134] 135 136 137 138 139 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 276398 times)
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3325 on: January 08, 2021, 07:43:20 PM »

Reminder that many people on this very forum cited that poll earlier about how 45% or so of Republicans seemingly supported the attacks, and in the process acted prematurely before things settled.

And you are certain that this one is correct and the other one incorrect, or the actual level of support of somewhere in between, because....?

Incidentally, as one of those individuals you refer to, I don't see how this changes the analysis of how to act in this matter what I owe, nor does it change my analysis whatsoever oh, other than it creating the tiniest glimmer of hope that maybe there is hope for at least tepid changes away from trumpism in the Republican Party
I think that it's relevant in regards to what language we use when referring to Trump voters/supporters overall. There was substantial underestimation of just how normal their views actually were, and it contributed to the rather silly-in-retrospect panic over how GOPers, as a group, think and are willing to behave.

We have no idea yet which poll is "correct," and considering the problems we have seen with regard to polls underestimating support for Trump and his politics in now two presidential elections, rushing to declare that anything about the reaction to Wednesday's events is "silly-in-retrospect" (what retrospect? it's been two days) is itself silly. Given how quickly the situation has developed in the last 36 hours, it's possible that both polls are correct, and people who initially approved of the insurrection have changed their position as more prominent Republicans speak out against Trump. (I'm not saying this is the case, just that it is one plausible interpretation of the available data.) It will be months if not years before we know how Trump voters respond to these events. In the meantime, while I don't endorse every #hottake in this thread (if for no other reason than I have not read them all), presuming that a plurality of Americans who voted for Trump after he suggested his political opponents should be shot and said he would "accept the results of the election if I win" in fact support shooting his opponents and overturning the results of the election is not an unreasonable hypothesis.
President Punxsutawney Phil
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3326 on: January 08, 2021, 07:44:29 PM »

I'm not against a Trump resignation. He's a coward anyway. These calls for him to resign have helped further drain Trump's political capital. No matter what he does, he's going to end up disgraced too.
It's hard not to feel pity, but it's equally easy not to feel sympathy.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3327 on: January 08, 2021, 07:46:10 PM »

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3328 on: January 08, 2021, 07:47:14 PM »

Reminder that many people on this very forum cited that poll earlier about how 45% or so of Republicans seemingly supported the attacks, and in the process acted prematurely before things settled.

And you are certain that this one is correct and the other one incorrect, or the actual level of support of somewhere in between, because....?

Incidentally, as one of those individuals you refer to, I don't see how this changes the analysis of how to act in this matter what I owe, nor does it change my analysis whatsoever oh, other than it creating the tiniest glimmer of hope that maybe there is hope for at least tepid changes away from trumpism in the Republican Party
I think that it's relevant in regards to what language we use when referring to Trump voters/supporters overall. There was substantial underestimation of just how normal their views actually were, and it contributed to the rather silly-in-retrospect panic over how GOPers, as a group, think and are willing to behave.

We have no idea yet which poll is "correct," and considering the problems we have seen with regard to polls underestimating support for Trump and his politics in now two presidential elections, rushing to declare that anything about the reaction to Wednesday's events is "silly-in-retrospect" (what retrospect? it's been two days) is itself silly. Given how quickly the situation has developed in the last 36 hours, it's possible that both polls are correct, and people who initially approved of the insurrection have changed their position as more prominent Republicans speak out against Trump. (I'm not saying this is the case, just that it is one plausible interpretation of the available data.) It will be months if not years before we know how Trump voters respond to these events. In the meantime, while I don't endorse every #hottake in this thread (if for no other reason than I have not read them all), presuming that a plurality of Americans who voted for Trump after he suggested his political opponents should be shot and said he would "accept the results of the election if I win" in fact support shooting his opponents and overturning the results of the election is not an unreasonable hypothesis.
My personal view is that many, many rank-and-file Republicans were uncertain what actually happened and a great many felt it likely simply the left trying to screw Trump over. (see: Mo Brooks' tweet cautioning against a rush to judgement) They changed their views as key Republicans spoke out on the matter.
As such, thinking 45% of Republicans ever actually supported storming the Capital strikes me as an imprudent conclusion.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3329 on: January 08, 2021, 07:47:39 PM »

I'm not against a Trump resignation. He's a coward anyway. These calls for him to resign have helped further drain Trump's political capital. No matter what he does, he's going to end up disgraced too.

Are you f****** high? In what Universe does Trump deserve an ounce a pity for doing this not only to himself but the entire country?

It's ever so reassuring that you don't "oppose" Trump's resignation. The only Teensy problem with that is it's very clear that is not, repeat not going to happen. That's why additional steps need to be taken, which goes far far beyond merely being out for blood as you so pithily mischaracterized it.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3330 on: January 08, 2021, 07:50:16 PM »

Are you f****** high? In what Universe does Trump deserve an ounce a pity for doing this not only to himself but the entire country?

It's ever so reassuring that you don't "oppose" Trump's resignation. The only Teensy problem with that is it's very clear that is not, repeat not going to happen. That's why additional steps need to be taken, which goes far far beyond merely being out for blood as you so pithily mischaracterized it.
I pity people regardless of their morality. I want to see some level of good in everyone.
If I pity someone, it's actually most often because they wasted their true potential and went down a dark path, only to find themselves in eventual ruin.
Unconditional Surrender Truman
Harry S Truman
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3331 on: January 08, 2021, 07:52:38 PM »

My personal view is that many, many rank-and-file Republicans were uncertain what actually happened and a great many felt it likely simply the left trying to screw Trump over. (see: Mo Brooks' tweet cautioning against a rush to judgement) They changed their views as key Republicans spoke out on the matter.
As such, thinking 45% of Republicans ever actually supported storming the Capital strikes me as an imprudent conclusion.

That may be, and I hope you are proved correct, as the alternative is indeed a grave prognosis for our country. The fact remains, however, that the attack on the Capitol did not come out of nowhere: Trump has been spreading conspiracy theories and giving his implicit support (or at least refusing to condemn) political violence against his rivals, so until we know more, we cannot discount the possibility that many or most of his supporters do in fact support these actions.
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #3332 on: January 08, 2021, 07:53:17 PM »

Ya know I just realized if Trump even was going to resign he can’t because he doesn’t have his precious Twitter. We basically cut his tongue out
Co-Chair Bagel23
Bagel23
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -1.48, S: -1.83

« Reply #3333 on: January 08, 2021, 07:54:41 PM »

is tim turner the susan collins of atlas lol
RussFeingoldWasRobbed
Progress96
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.65, S: -6.26

« Reply #3334 on: January 08, 2021, 07:56:16 PM »

Throw it in the trash. Marist is a joke pollster and should not be taken seriously ever. Remember Cooper +19?
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #3335 on: January 08, 2021, 07:57:10 PM »

Ya know I just realized if Trump even was going to resign he can’t because he doesn’t have his precious Twitter. We basically cut his tongue out

He could just do another hostage video.
emailking
Atlas Icon
« Reply #3336 on: January 08, 2021, 07:58:40 PM »

Where would he post it? lol

But yeah, just needs to sign a letter and send it to Pompeo, if he can ever get over his pride.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3337 on: January 08, 2021, 07:59:55 PM »

Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3338 on: January 08, 2021, 08:01:14 PM »

I have to say I'm pretty uncomfortable with Google / Apple play store removing Parler from their downloads (in Apple's case, threatening removal in 24 hours). I think these tech companies may be flexing their muscles too much here.
leonardothered
United States

« Reply #3339 on: January 08, 2021, 08:03:24 PM »

I have to say I'm pretty uncomfortable with Google / Apple play store removing Parler from their downloads (in Apple's case, threatening removal in 24 hours). I think these tech companies may be flexing their muscles too much here.

Free market. Let the rednecks learn to code and build their own platform to spout bullsh**t from. It's all feeding this conspiracy nonsense. They use out of context memes as "I'd die for this" evidence and I'm over it.
Middle-aged Europe
Old Europe
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #3340 on: January 08, 2021, 08:06:11 PM »

TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3341 on: January 08, 2021, 08:11:25 PM »

That may be, and I hope you are proved correct, as the alternative is indeed a grave prognosis for our country. The fact remains, however, that the attack on the Capitol did not come out of nowhere: Trump has been spreading conspiracy theories and giving his implicit support (or at least refusing to condemn) political violence against his rivals, so until we know more, we cannot discount the possibility that many or most of his supporters do in fact support these actions.
I suppose on narrow grounds this is completely agreeable. I do agree it was something that indeed could have been the case, and I don't like using absolutes.
It's just all the actual evidence, imo, hints to perhaps 10-15% of Trump backers finding this a good idea, and the rest, 85%, are generally average joe schmoes in Lima, OH or Wichita, KS or some other place, driven by suprisingly normal motivations that we in fact see quite often on both sides of the partisan divide, just in different iterations and degrees.

This should in fact be cause of alarm to some degree - as evidence of what excessive partisan division can bring about in the right circumstances. Say things further detoriated due to mutual overreach on parts of Ds and Rs. You don't need to be some person who is inherently a radical extremist in order to get brainwashed into doing something terribly desctructive. You'd simply be defending your political tribe and defending your way of life, or so you are thinking.

We've gone that path for years. Trump was likely to lose re-election many months ago. The moment Trump actually lost for good, something like this was bound to happen because Trump had by then lost true control of his most radical supporters. Extreme right-wingers, residing in their partisan bubbles, would have come to believe a raft of things that would encourage them to take action the way they knew best, in circumstances that were more high-stake than ever. Yet the supposed ringmasters suspected nothing until it actually happened. "oh, just another Maga protest" nope, not this time. This was legit terrorism.

I realize this is a odd mixture of fatalism and some other elements. But I think it's the most realistic way of looking at it. A lot of disturbing trends have been occuring beneath the surface that together have made our politics more toxic on a cultural level than the 10 or 20 years ago (among them, the death of local news). And worst is, there is no easy way to just cure it. We just have to manage it, preferably carefully.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3342 on: January 08, 2021, 08:12:25 PM »

Do you guys really think that Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski would jump ship, become an Independent and side with the Dems?
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #3343 on: January 08, 2021, 08:14:25 PM »

Do you guys really think that Alaska Sen. Lisa Murkowski would jump ship, become an Independent and side with the Dems?

There's a thread on the Congressional board about this.  (IMO it's a real possibility.)
Figueira
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3344 on: January 08, 2021, 08:16:22 PM »

It's weird seeing "Chao" and "chaos" in the same thread title.
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #3345 on: January 08, 2021, 08:17:04 PM »

She’s already won as an Indy write in and with the Top 4 primary she’s pretty well insulated from right wing challengers, so she could pull it off. Aside from the moral, how can I side with the GOP after this, it might make cynical political sense to get in as a pivotal vote in a very slim majority.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #3346 on: January 08, 2021, 08:18:36 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2021, 08:49:53 PM by We Made PA Blue Again! »

The immense amount of pleasure this gives me...

leonardothered
United States

« Reply #3347 on: January 08, 2021, 08:19:24 PM »

I suppose on narrow grounds this is completely agreeable. I do agree it was something that indeed could have been the case, and I don't like using absolutes.
It's just all the actual evidence, imo, hints to perhaps 10-15% of Trump backers finding this a good idea, and the rest, 85%, are generally average joe schmoes in Lima, OH or Wichita, KS or some other place, driven by suprisingly normal motivations that we in fact see quite often on both sides of the partisan divide, just in different iterations and degrees.

This should in fact be cause of alarm to some degree - as evidence of what excessive partisan division can bring about in the right circumstances. Say things further detoriated due to mutual overreach on parts of Ds and Rs. You don't need to be some person who is inherently a radical extremist in order to get brainwashed into doing something terribly desctructive. You'd simply be defending your political tribe and defending your way of life, or so you are thinking.

We've gone that path for years. Trump was likely to lose re-election many months ago. The moment Trump actually lost for good, something like this was bound to happen because Trump had by then lost true control of his most radical supporters. Extreme right-wingers, residing in their partisan bubbles, would have come to believe a raft of things that would encourage them to take action the way they knew best, in circumstances that were more high-stake than ever. Yet the supposed ringmasters suspected nothing until it actually happened. "oh, just another Maga protest" nope, not this time. This was legit terrorism.

I realize this is a odd mixture of fatalism and some other elements. But I think it's the most realistic way of looking at it. A lot of disturbing trends have been occuring beneath the surface that together have made our politics more toxic on a cultural level than the 10 or 20 years ago (among them, the death of local news). And worst is, there is no easy way to just cure it. We just have to manage it, preferably carefully.

>.> Apparently it's a lot more than 10-15%.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #3348 on: January 08, 2021, 08:19:35 PM »

I'm not convinced, but it appears to be a real possibilty. The longer she goes without denying, the more likely it is.
TimTurner
Atlas Politician
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3349 on: January 08, 2021, 08:23:45 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2021, 08:27:10 PM by Southern Governor Punxsutawney Phil »

>.> Apparently it's a lot more than 10-15%.
Ok, I suppose it is a understatement. But not a lot more either. Only 22% of Republicans feel they were "Mostly right".
The rest of my point still stands.
Also: the poll started taking surveyers on the 6th, so that makes it less weighty.
Pages: 1 ... 129 130 131 132 133 [134] 135 136 137 138 139 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies