DC Unrest Megathread (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 05:51:52 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread (search mode)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 269027 times)
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #75 on: January 08, 2021, 04:24:34 PM »

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #76 on: January 08, 2021, 04:34:46 PM »

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #77 on: January 08, 2021, 04:50:48 PM »

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #78 on: January 08, 2021, 06:28:13 PM »

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #79 on: January 09, 2021, 03:02:21 AM »

I just watched the CNN video where Trumpists viciously assaulted one of the officers trying to hold them back. The screaming of the guard, and the blood lust of the Trumpists...

Goddamn every Trump supporter. And goddamn the complicit Republican Party.

That video got my blood boiling. I said before I would have loved to have been there. These clowns would probably never attack a military base for a reason. So why not send us to them Smiley

We tried, the department of defense didn't allow the national guard to deploy after requests from the mayor and from Maryland who were stuck waiting at the border.

Yea there was likely internal sabotage at work probably stemming from Trump or some lackey trying to carry out his desired outcome like with the GSA back in November.

That’s what it sounds like. There are parallels to 9/11 in the security lapses prior to and during the attack. The Capitol was left vulnerable either by design, incompetency, or complacency—or a combination of all three across multiple agencies.

Although it's not like prior to 9/11 al-Qaeda was openly posting on AIM for everyone to see that they were planning on violence in New York and DC on the morning of 9/11 and then have bin Laden give a televised speech at Logan Airport saying "okay, let's all get on these planes and send a message to these infidels!"
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #80 on: January 09, 2021, 02:15:42 PM »

Digging deeper into this poll, 23% of respondents (47% of Republicans) believe the events Wednesday were "mostly a legitimate protest," compared to 72% (47% of Republicans) who believe it was "mostly people acting unlawfully."

56% believe Capitol Hill police were "not aggressive enough" in dealing with the terrorists.

One note on this is that I suspect there's a decent amount of people on the left who recoil at the thought of saying police need to be "more aggressive" in any context, even if they think the Capitol Police should have been better prepared and not, you know, taken selfies with the intruders. Basically this tweet, which I've seen making the rounds:

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #81 on: January 09, 2021, 02:28:03 PM »

Legal question: Is this entrapment or is entrapment defined more narrowly than that?

Further question: If it is entrapment, can a cop just tell some non-cop friend to post this on their behalf to avoid that?
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #82 on: January 10, 2021, 03:23:20 AM »

The clarifying part about this episode is that the Trump cult has in the past claimed that violence in DC was due to BLM and DC people instigating with Trump supporters.  Now they have no excuse.  It was just them. 

Oh you haven't heard?  This riot was started by Antifa agents posing as Trump supporters.

Except for the woman who was killed. She was a martyr of Trumpism. Everyone else was Antifa in disguise.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #83 on: January 10, 2021, 08:37:07 PM »

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #84 on: January 10, 2021, 08:53:27 PM »

Have we ever had an acting President before?

I think John Tyler's critics referred to him as "acting president" because there was no precedent for how a president was supposed to govern after not having been elected as president.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #85 on: January 11, 2021, 07:13:59 PM »

Armed stormings have been planned at every state capitol, as well as four consecutive days of armed protests at the US Capitol, per the FBI.

God help us.

https://abc7ny.com/fbi-armed-protest-president-donald-trump-capitol-raid/9563994/
If this turns into a bloody mess then I at least hope it will be the thing that finally discredits Trumpism once and for all.

If Wednesday didn't, nothing will.

De programming will be hard, if not impossible. However, social media is the connective tissue, so maybe we'll see.

These people aren't worth the effort to deprogram.  Lock all of them up and throw away the key.
They should be given a chance to self-deport.

No other country would take them.  Maybe we can buy Greenland after all and use it as a modern day Australia. 

Some eastern european countries would absolutely take them. Perhaps Israel or maybe even parts of India as well.

The Israeli Jewish far right is evidently all too happy to ally with the Gentile far right in other countries when it suits, but I doubt Bibi wants people like MTG and the Q shaman actually living in his country.

Maybe they can start a Qibbutz program for them and they can live off the land in tiny, segregated, all-white communities that they've always yearned for. Heck, maybe it can be built outside Trump Heights in the Golan.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #86 on: January 11, 2021, 08:16:41 PM »

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #87 on: January 11, 2021, 08:25:38 PM »

Friendly reminder that Collins sits on the Senate Intelligence Committee.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #88 on: January 11, 2021, 09:23:06 PM »

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #89 on: January 12, 2021, 01:08:00 AM »

Wow congressional anti-maskers. Thanks for infecting my rep during one of the most consequential weeks of our lives.

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #90 on: January 12, 2021, 02:42:36 PM »

I don't mean this in a vindictive way, although I understand how it might seem like that, but has anyone noticed that Trump supporters are really trashy? Even Trump himself seems to have noticed it, as he reportedly expressed disgust on aesthetic grounds over how “low class” his supporters looked. But it is about behavior as well as appearance. In my view if you really love Trump, and you want to represent him, you have the obligation to look good and carry yourself well, since your behavior reflects on those of Trump supporters as a whole.

This really isn't the case, as much as rich elites would like it to be so.

His supporters may have looked "low-class," but I have the feeling the median income of the mob was probably higher than the national median simply because they could afford to be off work right after the holidays, the crowd was overwhelmingly white, and the anecdotes we have from the people who were arrested show they weren't exactly unemployed or working in the service industry.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #91 on: January 12, 2021, 05:04:08 PM »

I can't believe it's not Ryan Lochte.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #92 on: January 12, 2021, 05:45:19 PM »

So Senate conviction requires 17 Republicans. Is that possible?

Obvious ones:
Romney
Collins
Murkowski
Sasse
Toomey

I guess you could compile another 12 from old dinosaurs who probably won't run again...but are there enough?

McConnell
Grassley
Shelby
Inhofe
Risch
Blunt

Now we're to people younger than Chuck Schumer...and at 11. I guess Burr has said he's not running again so that's 12.

Rachel Maddow (so obviously not an unbiased source) suggested there might be some Republicans who can't bring themselves to vote to convict, but might just not show up to vote and thereby bring the threshold for conviction down. No idea if that was based in any actual reports or just her speculation, though.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #93 on: January 12, 2021, 07:54:18 PM »

I went against my better judgement and tuned into CNN to see their coverage. They were interviewing a Texas "militaman" at the state house. Really learned their lesson I see.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #94 on: January 13, 2021, 02:40:48 AM »

True. I could also have said Riley, Charlotte, Olivia, Emma, Hailey, Molly, Madelyn, Lily, etc lol.

You mean Ryleigh, Shar-lit, Olivya, Ema, Heylee, Mollie, Madylyn, Lylly

It’s all about the atrocious spellings of names that have been normal in the past.

That and the -aidens on the boys side as have been mentioned.

Two that some of my friends have encountered recently include Madisyn and Floë.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #95 on: January 13, 2021, 01:55:27 PM »

I highly recommend watching this video in its entirety. It's a roughly chronological supercut of different longer-form videos taken throughout the day. It gives a lot more context to some of the 10 second video snippets that have been getting played on repeat all week, especially the shooting of the rioter outside the Speaker's Lobby.

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #96 on: January 13, 2021, 03:13:41 PM »

Can’t believe the National Guard inside the Capitol looks like a far more refreshing and democratic sight than civilians inside the Capitol, but here we are. These people clearly actually care about their country and respect what it stands for. Can’t be said for Trump and his cultists.

There are apparently more troops on Capitol Hill right now than in Afghanistan or Iraq. Turns out this is what we get for becoming a top oil producer. Tongue
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #97 on: January 13, 2021, 03:58:17 PM »

Can’t believe the National Guard inside the Capitol looks like a far more refreshing and democratic sight than civilians inside the Capitol, but here we are. These people clearly actually care about their country and respect what it stands for. Can’t be said for Trump and his cultists.

There are apparently more troops on Capitol Hill right now than in Afghanistan or Iraq. Turns out this is what we get for becoming a top oil producer. Tongue

Central Washington is now a Baghdad-style Green Zone. I wonder how Iraqis who immigrated to the US and settled in Washington feel. It's like they went back.

Off-topic, but if anyone is ever visiting Washington and looking for a good bar, check out Green Zone in AdMo. It's Iraqi-themed, but it still serves alcohol.
Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #98 on: January 13, 2021, 06:17:09 PM »

Crumpets
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #99 on: January 14, 2021, 03:32:18 AM »

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE
August 3, 1969

Statement from Charles Manson

In light of recent reports of more Helter Skelter, I urge that there must be NO violence, NO lawbreaking and NO vandalism of any kind. That is not what I stand for and not what the Family stands for. I call on all members of the Family to to help ease tensions and calm tempers. Thank you.

###
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5 6 7  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies