DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:00:41 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 268772 times)
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #675 on: January 06, 2021, 04:42:54 PM »

A thousand times this. There is no such thing as a decent Trump supporter and there hasn't been for a long time. They are deplorable scum. Every. Single. One. Of. Them.

That's not how this works.

It starts from the top. It starts with a man so deluded that he can't accept defeat, and is willing to propagate dangerous lies to people who know no better than to believe because they've been conditioned to do so.

Everyone had their own reasons for supporting Trump, including myself once upon a time, but the hardcore cultists have been brainwashed. Day in and day out, by media echo chambers, by their elected officials casting doubt on an election outcome and by every single person of influence who cast aside logic and reason to curry favor with people who have been suckered by this cult of personality.

Some of them, I assume, are bad people. But most of them are hopelessly, sadly, deluded by a president who has taught them to redefine reality by his warped standards.

This is the GOP's fault. This is OANN's fault. But to blame every person who cast a vote for Trump is, (and I ing hate using this comparison), tantamount to every person who supported Hitler because they thought he was the right thing for their country.
I agree. Atlas posters who support Trump really have zero excuses, though.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #676 on: January 06, 2021, 04:42:57 PM »

Defund the Police.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #677 on: January 06, 2021, 04:43:18 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2021, 05:39:04 PM by Alcibiades »

I happen to think there are a lot of things wrong with the American government, but the idea that we should cheer on the destruction of a uniquely long-lived cycle of representative government is deeply troubling. Yes the capital is "just a building" in the same way the constitution is "just some words on paper"; it represents democracy and the rule of law. The fact that these oafs choose the day that body does its ceremonial ratification of the democratic choice of american people to push their way in is worth a hundred Minneapolis police precinct outfits.

You’ve put it much better than I could, but I’ll just add that the “it’s just a building” argument is especially inane because the mob chose to attack this specific building because of what it represents.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #678 on: January 06, 2021, 04:43:21 PM »

Thanks PQG and OSR. We Dems extend our hands to sane GOPers like you.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #679 on: January 06, 2021, 04:43:27 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2021, 08:25:31 PM by R.P. McM »

Plus no building is no important than the Capitol. That's just sacred. You don't touch that.

It's great when the neolibs' masks slip just enough that you can plainly see that their true fidelity is to mere physical presentations of state power (i.e., literal buildings) and other physical objects, lol.  Power resides in people, not building.  If the U.S. Capitol ever becomes a symbol of a system of civil government that does not serve the best interests of the people, then it will deserve to be burned to the ground.

Like I said, if Joe Biden had any balls (like I wish he did), he would be declaring provisional government and martial law tonight.  Would he, if successful, destory the system of government that keeps Republicans artifically in power?  Probably yes, but that's the price that has to be paid to reconstitute our belief in a government that works for "the majority" (defined however the mob wishes.)  This isn't a Republican or Democrat thing, it's a matter of renewing our right to self-determination and refreshing the civil state (which really hasn't been seriously updated since the New Deal/WWII.)    

Scott, once again, captures my thoughts on today's happenings almost perfectly:

Quote from: Senator Scott🧨 link=topic=422360.msg7874637#msg7874637
The system is broken and it needs to be rebuilt from the ground-up. I don't care who sparks it, but this is actually a moment for the disenfranchised and the cynics on both the left and right to retake the country for ourselves.

The system is not broken. It's called democracy. You get to decide who gets in via the power of your vote. If people decide to elect bad people, that is their right to do so.

Just because your emotions are stronger than mine does not make them important. One person, one vote. We do not reward people who yell and scream and flail and shoot people up.

If it were actual democracy, Trump would not be president. But I agree — we need to impose democracy, no matter how much rural whites and the residents of former traitor states oppose it.  
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #680 on: January 06, 2021, 04:43:54 PM »

Plus no building is no important than the Capitol. That's just sacred. You don't touch that.

It's great when the neolibs' masks slip just enough that you can plainly see that their true fidelity is to mere physical presentations of state power (i.e., literal buildings) and other physical objects, lol.  Power resides in people, not building.  If the U.S. Capitol ever becomes a symbol of a system of civil government that does not serve the best interests of the people, then it will deserve to be burned to the ground.

Like I said, if Joe Biden had any balls (like I wish he did), he would be declaring provisional government and martial law tonight.  Would he, if successful, destory the system of government that keeps Republicans artifically in power?  Probably yes, but that's the price that has to be paid to reconstitute our belief in a government that works for "the majority" (defined however the mob wishes.)  This isn't a Republican or Democrat thing, it's a matter of renewing our right to self-determination and refreshing the civil state (which really hasn't been seriously updated since the New Deal/WWII.)    

The system is broken and it needs to be rebuilt from the ground-up. I don't care who sparks it, but this is actually a moment for the disenfranchised and the cynics on both the left and right to retake the country for ourselves.

The system is not broken. It's called democracy. You get to decide who gets in via the power of your vote. If people decide to elect bad people, that is their right to do so.

Just because your emotions are stronger than mine does not make them important. One person, one vote. We do not reward people who yell and scream and flail and shoot people up.

If it were actually democracy, Trump would not be president. But I agree — we need to impose democracy, no matter how much rural whites and the residents of former traitor states oppose it.  

Trump was elected fair and square. And now Biden has been elected.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #681 on: January 06, 2021, 04:44:05 PM »

I don't like his politics, but I kinda respect Romney's rage.

You and your family spend generations fighting for your party to serve as a basic alternative to the Dems, and while you lost in 2012, you left the party with a fairly promising future; all for this nightmare to happen.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #682 on: January 06, 2021, 04:44:18 PM »

When the new senate convenes they should take some kind of formal censure or action, whatever they do in the senate, against Cruz and Hawley and the other traitors.
European Lefty
Rookie
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -5.69, S: -7.68

« Reply #683 on: January 06, 2021, 04:44:38 PM »

America is in grave danger. I’m terrified
When you build whatever replaces it, remember to give people healthcare, real labour rights and a route out if poverty for people who end up there. That way people feel less disenfranchised and things like this are less likely.

Also gun laws so that the fascist morons who attempt an insurrection aren't armed
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #684 on: January 06, 2021, 04:45:00 PM »

Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #685 on: January 06, 2021, 04:45:03 PM »

Trump is supporting the coup.

WTF!?!?! Shocked Shocked Shocked
HisGrace
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #686 on: January 06, 2021, 04:45:06 PM »

This can't be allowed to go on any longer. Jared/Ivanka/Melania and anyone else Trump might actually listen to need to make a last ditch effort to get him to resign, maybe just point blank tell him his supporters at the capital will all get shot if he doesn't. If that doesn't work the national guard just needs to clear the place out. They need to get this thing under control today or within 24 hours. The whole world is watching. This is not a protest, it's an insurrection against the government and it is not disproportionate to put it down with violent force.
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #687 on: January 06, 2021, 04:45:10 PM »

A thousand times this. There is no such thing as a decent Trump supporter and there hasn't been for a long time. They are deplorable scum. Every. Single. One. Of. Them.

That's not how this works.

It starts from the top. It starts with a man so deluded that he can't accept defeat, and is willing to propagate dangerous lies to people who know no better than to believe because they've been conditioned to do so.

Everyone had their own reasons for supporting Trump, including myself once upon a time, but the hardcore cultists have been brainwashed. Day in and day out, by media echo chambers, by their elected officials casting doubt on an election outcome and by every single person of influence who cast aside logic and reason to curry favor with people who have been suckered by this cult of personality.

Some of them, I assume, are bad people. But most of them are hopelessly, sadly, deluded by a president who has taught them to redefine reality by his warped standards.

Sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice.

You are right. And that's where this country has gone. I'm ing ashamed
TopShelfGoal

« Reply #688 on: January 06, 2021, 04:45:15 PM »

Mitt Romney's vote to convict Trump is now fully and absolutely vindicated. Say what you will about his "47%" comments and all that, but he is truly being vindicated by history with this.

Mitt Romney is a true patriot regardless of any dumb things he has said in the past.
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #689 on: January 06, 2021, 04:45:19 PM »

When the new senate convenes they should take some kind of formal censure or action, whatever they do in the senate, against Cruz and Hawley and the other traitors.

Formal censure is meaningless when it is not backed by real consequences. These traitors should be expelled from the government.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #690 on: January 06, 2021, 04:45:30 PM »

This is a very rare and so far the only case when I say: Thank you, Representative Omar, thank you for your service
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #691 on: January 06, 2021, 04:45:56 PM »

Don't thank us.  We're not heroes or mavericks.  Just as saddened, angered, and horrified as most of y'all.  
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #692 on: January 06, 2021, 04:46:00 PM »

Mitt Romney blames Ted Cruz for this.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/01/trump-supporters-storm-the-us-capitol-washington-dc

Staffers and members of Congress took cover as chaos broke out on the House floor, with Senator Mitt Romney reportedly yelling, “This is what you’ve gotten,” to his colleagues including Senator Ted Cruz, a vocal supporter of Trump’s crusade to delegitimize Joe Biden’s victory.

Romney is 100% correct.

Mitt Romney's vote to convict Trump is now fully and absolutely vindicated. Say what you will about his "47%" comments and all that, but he is truly being vindicated by history with this.

Moreover, I'll add to this by saying that Susan Collins, Lisa Murkowski, Lamar Alexander, and all the rest of them should be ashamed of themselves for not voting to convict Trump. These people could have stopped Trump and removed him before it came to this, but they did not.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #693 on: January 06, 2021, 04:46:32 PM »

ultraviolet
United States

Political Matrix
E: 0.71, S: -3.22

P P P
« Reply #694 on: January 06, 2021, 04:47:11 PM »

Defund the Police.

When has defunding something ever made it function better?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #695 on: January 06, 2021, 04:47:28 PM »

Trump is supporting the coup.

WTF!?!?! Shocked Shocked Shocked

This has been reversed.
Dr. Frankenstein
DoctorFrankenstein
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #696 on: January 06, 2021, 04:47:34 PM »

Well, you guys could look at it this way: maybe you needed to really hit rock bottom in order to finally find your way back up. We really hope to have you back up ASAP.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #697 on: January 06, 2021, 04:47:37 PM »

If it were actually democracy, Trump would not be president. But I agree — we need to impose democracy, no matter how much rural whites and the residents of former traitor states oppose it.  

Trump was elected fair and square. And now Biden has been elected.

Yes, according to the current system. Which is NOT democratic, and not something I consent to any longer.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #698 on: January 06, 2021, 04:47:43 PM »

I agree with Hawley that they should be prosecuted.  Their co-conspirators like Hawley and Cruz should too.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #699 on: January 06, 2021, 04:49:11 PM »

Sen. Tammy Duckworth says that the electoral vote documents are secure.
Pages: 1 ... 23 24 25 26 27 [28] 29 30 31 32 33 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies