DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 04:25:44 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 268813 times)
Red Velvet
Brazil

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #650 on: January 06, 2021, 04:38:20 PM »

As a voter, seeing Biden speaking like these fascists are just rambunctious middle schoolers makes him extremely unfit for this moment which is so depressing.

Well, but that was a choice of democrats, right? Conciliation and finding a middle ground as a goal, not a tough radical fighter.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #651 on: January 06, 2021, 04:38:39 PM »

Plus no building is no important than the Capitol. That's just sacred. You don't touch that.

It's great when the neolibs' masks slip just enough that you can plainly see that their true fidelity is to mere physical presentations of state power (i.e., literal buildings) and other objects, lol.  Power resides in people, not buildings.  If the U.S. Capitol ever becomes a symbol of a system of civil government that does not serve the best interests of the people, then it will deserve to be burned to the ground.

Like I said, if Joe Biden had any balls (like I wish he did), he would be declaring provisional government and martial law tonight.  Would he, if successful, destory the system of government that keeps Republicans artifically in power?  Probably yes, but that's the price that has to be paid to reconstitute our belief in a government that works for "the majority" (defined however the mob wishes.)  This isn't a Republican or Democrat thing, it's a matter of renewing our right to self-determination and refreshing the civil state (which really hasn't been seriously updated since the New Deal/WWII.)    

Scott, once again, captures my thoughts on today's happenings almost perfectly:

Quote from: Senator Scott link=topic=422360.msg7874637
The system is broken and it needs to be rebuilt from the ground-up. I don't care who sparks it, but this is actually a moment for the disenfranchised and the cynics on both the left and right to retake the country for ourselves.

The Capitol and the Constitution are the symbols of the government though. They aren't just objects. And power resides in them, not in our leaders. And for centuries, they've served us well. The civil government does serve the interests of the people. It's just our leaders (well really, your leaders) that have failed us. We don't need to burn it all down. We just need you guys to go away.

#ResistTheMob
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #652 on: January 06, 2021, 04:38:53 PM »

I’m officially recanting my statements of being unhappy that the GOP lost the senate . The Republicans deserved to lose it

Might be the first time I've ever genuinely regretted voting for Ted Cruz or, on a larger scale, thought about leaving the Republican Party.  
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #653 on: January 06, 2021, 04:39:20 PM »

Plus no building is no important than the Capitol. That's just sacred. You don't touch that.

It's great when the neolibs' masks slip just enough that you can plainly see that their true fidelity is to mere physical presentations of state power (i.e., literal buildings) and other physical objects, lol.  Power resides in people, not building.  If the U.S. Capitol ever becomes a symbol of a system of civil government that does not serve the best interests of the people, then it will deserve to be burned to the ground.

Like I said, if Joe Biden had any balls (like I wish he did), he would be declaring provisional government and martial law tonight.  Would he, if successful, destory the system of government that keeps Republicans artifically in power?  Probably yes, but that's the price that has to be paid to reconstitute our belief in a government that works for "the majority" (defined however the mob wishes.)  This isn't a Republican or Democrat thing, it's a matter of renewing our right to self-determination and refreshing the civil state (which really hasn't been seriously updated since the New Deal/WWII.)    

The system is broken and it needs to be rebuilt from the ground-up. I don't care who sparks it, but this is actually a moment for the disenfranchised and the cynics on both the left and right to retake the country for ourselves.

Conservatives care a lot about property andsymbols too but the pearl clutching on CNN about the beloved building they used to work in definitely made me appreciate a little to see their meaningful little thing that means nothing to me at all get harmed just like mine did earlier this year. (Yet not even close to the same degree of damage.)

The building/property that you cared about should not have been damaged.

The US capitol should not be stormed by terrorists.

This isn't that hard.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #654 on: January 06, 2021, 04:39:25 PM »

These criminals need to be arrested and prosecuted to a man. It's not without precedent; I myself prosecuted several BLM protestors from May. Its only fair that these people be treated the same way.

wait are you a lawyer

I would kind of have to be to prosecute someone.

At very minimum this is trespass or armed trespass. In Florida this would qualify as a burglary, but I'm not sure it would under Federal law. Make them all felons.

There are much, much more serious federal charges that could be levied here, and absolutely should be.
brucejoel99
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #655 on: January 06, 2021, 04:39:31 PM »

I’m officially recanting my statements of being unhappy that the GOP lost the senate . The Republicans deserved to lose it

Might be the first time I've ever genuinely regretted voting for Ted Cruz or, on a larger scale, thought about leaving the Republican Party.  

Come to the left side, we have cookies & we share them with everybody!
Diabolical Materialism
SlamDunk

« Reply #656 on: January 06, 2021, 04:39:34 PM »

It's great when the neolibs' masks slip just enough that you can plainly see that their true fidelity is to mere physical presentations of state power (i.e., literal buildings) and other objects, lol.  Power resides in people, not buildings.  If the U.S. Capitol ever becomes a symbol of a system of civil government that does not serve the best interests of the people, then it will deserve to be burned to the ground.

The Capitol and the Constitution are the symbols of the government though. They aren't just objects. And power resides in them, not in our leaders. And for centuries, they've served us well. The civil government does serve the interests of the people. It's just our leaders (well really, your leaders) that have failed us. We don't need to burn it all down. We just need you guys to go away.

#ResistTheMob
Your institutions and symbols did a real great job of preventing this!
MABA 2020
MakeAmericaBritishAgain
United Kingdom

« Reply #657 on: January 06, 2021, 04:39:45 PM »

Mitt Romney blames Ted Cruz for this.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/01/trump-supporters-storm-the-us-capitol-washington-dc

Staffers and members of Congress took cover as chaos broke out on the House floor, with Senator Mitt Romney reportedly yelling, “This is what you’ve gotten,” to his colleagues including Senator Ted Cruz, a vocal supporter of Trump’s crusade to delegitimize Joe Biden’s victory.

Oh no I don't like this, I'm starting to warm up to Mitt Romney
Pessimistic Antineutrino
Pessimistic Antineutrino
United States

« Reply #658 on: January 06, 2021, 04:40:00 PM »

A thousand times this. There is no such thing as a decent Trump supporter and there hasn't been for a long time. They are deplorable scum. Every. Single. One. Of. Them.

That's not how this works.

It starts from the top. It starts with a man so deluded that he can't accept defeat, and is willing to propagate dangerous lies to people who know no better than to believe because they've been conditioned to do so.

Everyone had their own reasons for supporting Trump, including myself once upon a time, but the hardcore cultists have been brainwashed. Day in and day out, by media echo chambers, by their elected officials casting doubt on an election outcome and by every single person of influence who cast aside logic and reason to curry favor with people who have been suckered by this cult of personality.

Some of them, I assume, are bad people. But most of them are hopelessly, sadly, deluded by a president who has taught them to redefine reality by his warped standards.

This is the GOP's fault. This is OANN's fault. But to blame every person who cast a vote for Trump is, (and I HATE using this comparison because it's lazy), tantamount to disparaging the character of every person who supported Hitler because they were deluded to believe he was the right thing for their country.
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #659 on: January 06, 2021, 04:40:11 PM »

Thanks PQG and OSR. We Dems extend our hands to sane GOPers like you.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #660 on: January 06, 2021, 04:40:14 PM »

Every single Trump supporter:

Fuzzy Bear, Sanchez, even sensible folks like Buzz.

This is your fault.  You are to blame.

Stop

He's right. Truth Hurts, coward? The fact that you're still going to support a party of which two-thirds of their elected Congress members are on record as opposing the result of a legitimate presidential election, all because you refuse to challenge the little bedroom shine you hold the saint Ronnie?!?

No, child. YOU stop!! The fact that you weren't willing to accept responsibility, notwithstanding your third party vote for president, that's a Republican party as a whole needs to take responsibility for being taken over by trumpist mentality, and you won't turn against them after an outright violent coup the leader of your party has been implicitly if not explicitly encouraging for months. because taxes and business regulation are icky,

I am 100% with you on this. Every individual member of the mob is to blame for what the mob as a whole has done. Being part of a larger group does not negate your personal responsibility. Every single Trump supporter in this country is to blame for this. They all have blood on their hands.
Beet
Atlas Star

« Reply #661 on: January 06, 2021, 04:40:19 PM »

As a voter, seeing Biden speaking like these fascists are just rambunctious middle schoolers makes him extremely unfit for this moment which is so depressing.

Well, but that was a choice of democrats, right? Conciliation and finding a middle ground as a goal, not a tough radical fighter.

Today was obviously bad, but it was likely just a one day event. Some people are overreacting. It may actually end up shocking some people into sanity and more reasonable behavior for the next two weeks.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #662 on: January 06, 2021, 04:40:19 PM »

I am honestly consistently surprised that you're a Republican in the first place given how the party has gone recently.
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #663 on: January 06, 2021, 04:40:47 PM »

Omolloy
Rookie
« Reply #664 on: January 06, 2021, 04:40:54 PM »

A thousand times this. There is no such thing as a decent Trump supporter and there hasn't been for a long time. They are deplorable scum. Every. Single. One. Of. Them.

There's no such thing as a decent Republican, even if they believe themselves to be a 'Never Trump' Republican. The entire party is complicit by this point, there's no supporting any Republican without supporting Trumpism. These people don't have to become lefties and liberals, but no matter your political outlook, you can't have a shred of decency and still believe you can find a home in the Republican party.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #665 on: January 06, 2021, 04:40:59 PM »

Unfortunately (or fortunately?) this gives Trump adjacent Republicans a way out now. They can use this as an 'awakening' and some already have.
Estrella
Falkland Islands (Islas Malvinas)

« Reply #666 on: January 06, 2021, 04:41:10 PM »

That's not how this works.

It starts from the top. It starts with a man so deluded that he can't accept defeat, and is willing to propagate dangerous lies to people who know no better than to believe because they've been conditioned to do so.

Everyone had their own reasons for supporting Trump, including myself once upon a time, but the hardcore cultists have been brainwashed. Day in and day out, by media echo chambers, by their elected officials casting doubt on an election outcome and by every single person of influence who cast aside logic and reason to curry favor with people who have been suckered by this cult of personality.

Some of them, I assume, are bad people. But most of them are hopelessly, sadly, deluded by a president who has taught them to redefine reality by his warped standards.

Sufficiently advanced stupidity is indistinguishable from malice.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #667 on: January 06, 2021, 04:41:13 PM »

Mitt Romney blames Ted Cruz for this.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/01/trump-supporters-storm-the-us-capitol-washington-dc

Staffers and members of Congress took cover as chaos broke out on the House floor, with Senator Mitt Romney reportedly yelling, “This is what you’ve gotten,” to his colleagues including Senator Ted Cruz, a vocal supporter of Trump’s crusade to delegitimize Joe Biden’s victory.

Romney is 100% correct.

Mitt Romney's vote to convict Trump is now fully and absolutely vindicated. Say what you will about his "47%" comments and all that, but he is truly being vindicated by history with this.
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #668 on: January 06, 2021, 04:41:16 PM »
« Edited: January 06, 2021, 04:52:06 PM by c r a b c a k e »

I happen to think there are a lot of things wrong with the American government, but the idea that we should cheer on the destruction of a uniquely long-lived cycle of representative government is deeply troubling. Yes, the capital is "just a building" in the same way the constitution is "just some words on paper"; it represents democracy and the rule of law. This isn't just symbolism either! These oafs have choosen the day that body does its ceremonial ratification of the democratic choice of american people to push their way in. They are showing their direct hostility to democracy and representative government; tgis is worth a hundred Minneapolis police precincts.
TopShelfGoal

« Reply #669 on: January 06, 2021, 04:41:22 PM »

Bush, Obama and Carter all need to come together and issue a joint address to the public if possible. The orange one's video is not going to help.

Everyone who desecrated the capitol building should be sent to the toughest prison.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #670 on: January 06, 2021, 04:41:30 PM »

Every single Trump supporter:

Fuzzy Bear, Sanchez, even sensible folks like Buzz.

This is your fault.  You are to blame.

No. He's right. How did people think this was gonna end?

Stop

They dont support these rioters so blaming them for something they dont support is ridiculous

No, they, and by extension you supporting the Republican Party doing all it can to undermine free and Democratic elections this year are. Part. Of. The. Fundamental. PROBLEM!!

Trying to wash your hands of it and saying well I oppose this violence and didn't vote for Trump oh, but I'm still happy Republican notwithstanding the party having been taken over not just by Trump personally, but by this type of authoritarian measure where most Congress men are trying to throw out a free invalid election doesn't absolve you! Not even close.
Dr. Frankenstein
DoctorFrankenstein
Rookie
Germany

« Reply #671 on: January 06, 2021, 04:41:57 PM »

Well, this is something. I'm pretty sure you're not alone in this sentiment.
Green Line
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #672 on: January 06, 2021, 04:42:30 PM »

Today was a bad day.  It doesn't have to get any worse than this though.  Prosecute the people who attacked our capitol and denounce the ringleaders (Trump, Cruz, Hawley, etc).  Painting every Trump supporter with a broad brush is going to accomplish nothing though except make you feel good.  We need to deescalate the situation.
Skunk
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.03, S: -9.48

« Reply #673 on: January 06, 2021, 04:42:36 PM »

All of these Republican Congress cretins who stoked this act of domestic terrorism belong in prison.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #674 on: January 06, 2021, 04:42:39 PM »

Round them all up, get them all felonies and then they lose all the political power they want.
Pages: 1 ... 22 23 24 25 26 [27] 28 29 30 31 32 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies