DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 06:46:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 268847 times)
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #625 on: January 06, 2021, 04:33:55 PM »

These criminals need to be arrested and prosecuted to a man. It's not without precedent; I myself prosecuted several BLM protestors from May. Its only fair that these people be treated the same way.
Yes. This started out ok but this is turning into a Beer Hall Putsch.

WTF do you mean "this started out ok"?!?!?
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #626 on: January 06, 2021, 04:34:02 PM »

It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #627 on: January 06, 2021, 04:34:13 PM »

Plus no building is no important than the Capitol. That's just sacred. You don't touch that.

It's great when the neolibs' masks slip just enough that you can plainly see that their true fidelity is to mere physical presentations of state power (i.e., literal buildings) and other physical objects, lol.  Power resides in people, not building.  If the U.S. Capitol ever becomes a symbol of a system of civil government that does not serve the best interests of the people, then it will deserve to be burned to the ground.

Like I said, if Joe Biden had any balls (like I wish he did), he would be declaring provisional government and martial law tonight.  Would he, if successful, destory the system of government that keeps Republicans artifically in power?  Probably yes, but that's the price that has to be paid to reconstitute our belief in a government that works for "the majority" (defined however the mob wishes.)  This isn't a Republican or Democrat thing, it's a matter of renewing our right to self-determination and refreshing the civil state (which really hasn't been seriously updated since the New Deal/WWII.)    

Scott, once again, captures my thoughts on today's happenings almost perfectly:

Quote from: Senator Scott🧨 link=topic=422360.msg7874637#msg7874637
The system is broken and it needs to be rebuilt from the ground-up. I don't care who sparks it, but this is actually a moment for the disenfranchised and the cynics on both the left and right to retake the country for ourselves.
Yes NSA, this traitor right here.
Starry Eyed Jagaloon
Blairite
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #628 on: January 06, 2021, 04:34:28 PM »

WTF is wrong with these people.  Good God, this is sad and embarrassing.  I hope they all wind up in jail.

Dude, this is your party. You tell me.

Are you under the impression that I somehow control the actions of these people because I'm a registered Republican in Johnson County, IA and vote in its caucuses and primaries?

Of course not. But the thing is, this isn't an isolated incident. The GOP has been building towards this for decades. Eventually, a reckoning was going to happen--some way or another.
Pyro
PyroTheFox
Junior Chimp
United States

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #629 on: January 06, 2021, 04:34:30 PM »

D.C. police are complicit.

Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #630 on: January 06, 2021, 04:34:49 PM »

Plus no building is no important than the Capitol. That's just sacred. You don't touch that.

It's great when the neolibs' masks slip just enough that you can plainly see that their true fidelity is to mere physical presentations of state power (i.e., literal buildings) and other physical objects, lol.  Power resides in people, not building.  If the U.S. Capitol ever becomes a symbol of a system of civil government that does not serve the best interests of the people, then it will deserve to be burned to the ground.

Like I said, if Joe Biden had any balls (like I wish he did), he would be declaring provisional government and martial law tonight.  Would he, if successful, destory the system of government that keeps Republicans artifically in power?  Probably yes, but that's the price that has to be paid to reconstitute our belief in a government that works for "the majority" (defined however the mob wishes.)  This isn't a Republican or Democrat thing, it's a matter of renewing our right to self-determination and refreshing the civil state (which really hasn't been seriously updated since the New Deal/WWII.)    

Quote from: Senator Scott🧨 link=topic=422360.msg7874637#msg7874637
The system is broken and it needs to be rebuilt from the ground-up. I don't care who sparks it, but this is actually a moment for the disenfranchised and the cynics on both the left and right to retake the country for ourselves.

The system is not broken. It's called democracy. You get to decide who gets in via the power of your vote. If people decide to elect bad people, that is their right to do so.

Just because your emotions are stronger than mine does not make them important. One person, one vote. We do not reward people who yell and scream and flail and shoot people up.
Omolloy
Rookie
« Reply #631 on: January 06, 2021, 04:34:58 PM »

If you live in a reliably blue state, now would be the time to make yourself available to your state’s Army National Guard. F#%k these fascist punks up when they try to start sh**t in your state. If you don’t fancy that option, join a pro-democracy militia. Even if it’s something as simple as cooking food or operating radios, now’s the time to get involved before the fascists attempt to take over the country.

If people do want to take this sort of action, I feel like militias are probably a better route than any National Guard. I don't think any police or state institutions can be trusted to actually act. Just look at the completely anemic response occurring right this second.
VAR
VARepublican
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #632 on: January 06, 2021, 04:35:02 PM »

D.C. police are complicit.

not surprised
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #633 on: January 06, 2021, 04:35:11 PM »

I am literally crying because of this, how far it's come. I came from a country with no democratic standards. Others have fought and died for democracy and the rule of law and these terrorists are attempting are tearing it to shreds.

I would hug you if I could. I'm so sorry that you have to go through this trauma again

Thanks. I have not fled opression personally, but it's still so sad. That said, I know this is not representative for America at all and won't give up on believing in the constitution.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #634 on: January 06, 2021, 04:35:26 PM »

OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #635 on: January 06, 2021, 04:35:28 PM »

I’m officially recanting my statements of being unhappy that the GOP lost the senate . The Republicans deserved to lose it
BlueSwan
blueswan
Junior Chimp
Denmark

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -7.30

« Reply #636 on: January 06, 2021, 04:35:33 PM »

A thousand times this. There is no such thing as a decent Trump supporter and there hasn't been for a long time. They are deplorable scum. Every. Single. One. Of. Them.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #637 on: January 06, 2021, 04:35:38 PM »

It's great when the neolibs' masks slip just enough that you can plainly see that their true fidelity is to mere physical presentations of state power (i.e., literal buildings) and other objects, lol.  Power resides in people, not buildings.  If the U.S. Capitol ever becomes a symbol of a system of civil government that does not serve the best interests of the people, then it will deserve to be burned to the ground.

Quote from: Senator Scott link=topic=422360.msg7874637

Are you trying to justify what these anarchists are doing?
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #638 on: January 06, 2021, 04:35:47 PM »

Mitt Romney blames Ted Cruz for this.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/01/trump-supporters-storm-the-us-capitol-washington-dc

Staffers and members of Congress took cover as chaos broke out on the House floor, with Senator Mitt Romney reportedly yelling, “This is what you’ve gotten,” to his colleagues including Senator Ted Cruz, a vocal supporter of Trump’s crusade to delegitimize Joe Biden’s victory.
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

« Reply #639 on: January 06, 2021, 04:36:11 PM »

Trump is is acting like emperor Nero, who was declared Public Enemy by the Roman Senate
Former President tack50
tack50
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Spain

« Reply #640 on: January 06, 2021, 04:36:18 PM »

It's great when the neolibs' masks slip just enough that you can plainly see that their true fidelity is to mere physical presentations of state power (i.e., literal buildings) and other physical objects, lol.  Power resides in people, not building.  If the U.S. Capitol ever becomes a symbol of a system of civil government that does not serve the best interests of the people, then it will deserve to be burned to the ground.

Like I said, if Joe Biden had any balls (like I wish he did), he would be declaring provisional government and martial law tonight.  Would he, if successful, destory the system of government that keeps Republicans artifically in power?  Probably yes, but that's the price that has to be paid to reconstitute our belief in a government that works for "the majority" (defined however the mob wishes.)  This isn't a Republican or Democrat thing, it's a matter of renewing our right to self-determination and refreshing the civil state (which really hasn't been seriously updated since the New Deal/WWII.)     

I mean, if you want to be pedantic, you could argue that the power resides in the 535 Congressmen but the US Capitol is still THE symbol of the legislative power of the United States. It is not unheard of for the legislatures of countries in trouble to flee the capitol but when that happens things have gone horribly wrong and a coup or civil war has already happened.

Also are you literally asking for a Joe Biden led countercoup? LMAO
NYSforKennedy2024
Kander2020
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #641 on: January 06, 2021, 04:36:32 PM »

I am literally crying because of this, how far it's come. I came from a country with no democratic standards. Others have fought and died for democracy and the rule of law and these terrorists are attempting are tearing it to shreds.

American politics doesn't need to be like this. But some do insist that it must be.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #642 on: January 06, 2021, 04:36:41 PM »

Mitt Romney blames Ted Cruz for this.

https://www.vanityfair.com/news/2021/01/trump-supporters-storm-the-us-capitol-washington-dc

Staffers and members of Congress took cover as chaos broke out on the House floor, with Senator Mitt Romney reportedly yelling, “This is what you’ve gotten,” to his colleagues including Senator Ted Cruz, a vocal supporter of Trump’s crusade to delegitimize Joe Biden’s victory.

Romney is 100% correct.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #643 on: January 06, 2021, 04:36:44 PM »

Probably yes, but that's the price that has to be paid to reconstitute our belief in a government that works for "the majority" (defined however the mob wishes.)  

I can't believe I missed this.

I don't think this is what you intended, but what you're saying here is we should run our country via mob rule. That is pathetic and weak.

I pray to God that our country is never run by such feckless characters like you.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #644 on: January 06, 2021, 04:36:54 PM »

Half an hour to sunset.
R.P. McM
Palestinian Territory, Occupied

« Reply #645 on: January 06, 2021, 04:37:00 PM »

Biden's response was exactly what we needed. Calm.

Inciting more violence is not a good idea.

It's not enough.  Let me sum up the last 4 years for you:

Trump cultists act outrageous, violent, break rules, norms, laws.  

Democrats respond: "we need calm, we need to come together as a country."  

Trump cult: continues to break rules, laws, norms, be violent.

ENOUGH IS ENOUGH.  Arrest every single person that trespassed.  Lock them up for the maximum time allowed by law.  Put them on terrorist watch lists.  Expel congressmen.  Impeach and remove Trump from office.  Pack the Courts.  Make DC and PR states.  Enact stringent gun control laws.

Agreed. These invertebrates deserve absolutely ZERO mercy.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #646 on: January 06, 2021, 04:37:07 PM »

Every single Trump supporter:

Fuzzy Bear, Sanchez, even sensible folks like Buzz.

This is your fault.  You are to blame.

Stop

He's right. Truth Hurts, coward? The fact that you're still going to support a party of which two-thirds of their elected Congress members are on record as opposing the result of a legitimate presidential election, all because you refuse to challenge the little bedroom shine you hold the saint Ronnie?!?

No, child. YOU stop!! The fact that you weren't willing to accept responsibility, notwithstanding your third party vote for president, that's a Republican party as a whole needs to take responsibility for being taken over by trumpist mentality, and you won't turn against them after an outright violent coup the leader of your party has been implicitly if not explicitly encouraging for months. because taxes and business regulation are icky,
Sprouts Farmers Market ✘
Sprouts
Atlas Icon
Italy

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: 1.74

« Reply #647 on: January 06, 2021, 04:37:37 PM »

Quote from: Senator Scott link=topic=422360.msg7874637

Conservatives care a lot about property andsymbols too but the pearl clutching on CNN about the beloved building they used to work in definitely made me appreciate a little to see their meaningful little thing that means nothing to me at all get harmed just like mine did earlier this year. (Yet not even close to the same degree of damage.)
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #648 on: January 06, 2021, 04:37:41 PM »

I still don't get this.  Why are these rioters not being arrested?  If this was peaceful protestors in wheelchairs protesting Obamacare repeal bills they'd all have twist ties around their hands.  

We need massive police reform immediately.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #649 on: January 06, 2021, 04:38:01 PM »

I thought riots were the language of the unheard?

This isn't a riot. It's an organized attempt at taking over the government.
Pages: 1 ... 21 22 23 24 25 [26] 27 28 29 30 31 ... 197  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies