DC Unrest Megathread
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 28, 2024, 07:23:20 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  DC Unrest Megathread
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 ... 197
Author Topic: DC Unrest Megathread  (Read 274511 times)
Holmes
Atlas Icon
Canada

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -5.74

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2075 on: January 06, 2021, 11:33:25 PM »

Capitol police were much less friendly to anti Iraq war protesters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_15,_2007_anti-war_protest

Yes jfern, police are predominantly antagonistic towards left-wing and POC protestors while letting white right-wingers get away with walking all over them and waving firearms in everyone’s faces. It’s known.
neostassenite31
« Reply #2076 on: January 06, 2021, 11:33:58 PM »

There are only two things I am willing to hear from Trump supporters right now.

1) "I am sorry. My vote aided and abetted an attempt at a fascist coup in the United States. I will now live the rest of my life attempting to atone for what I have done."

2) "I am clearly a terrible judge of character. Democrats, please educate me. How did you know the warning signs of Trump's narcissistic, dictatorial personality before I did? Before I ever cast another vote, I should learn how to watch for these things."

Anything else is either apologism, whataboutism, or genuine fascism.

Looks like a majority of Republicans do not think there is anything to apologize for according to the latest poll
Sestak
jk2020
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

« Reply #2077 on: January 06, 2021, 11:34:49 PM »

I hope Mary Miller gets arrested and removed from office for inciting violence and sedition.

Starting a sentence with "Hitler was right" is never a good idea.
...she knew what she was doing.
rhg2052

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -6.78

« Reply #2078 on: January 06, 2021, 11:35:10 PM »

1) "I am sorry. My vote aided and abetted an attempt at a fascist coup in the United States. I will now live the rest of my life attempting to atone for what I have done."

2) "I am clearly a terrible judge of character. Democrats, please educate me. How did you know the warning signs of Trump's narcissistic, dictatorial personality before I did? Before I ever cast another vote, I should learn how to watch for these things."

Damocles
Sword of Damocles
United States

« Reply #2079 on: January 06, 2021, 11:35:22 PM »

#MakeFascistsAfraidAgain
Coolface Sock #42069
whitesox130
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: 4.39, S: 2.26

« Reply #2080 on: January 06, 2021, 11:35:36 PM »

I want a long and extensive investigation by Congress into the Capitol Police’s preparation for and handling of this crisis. Anyone who aided and abetted the terrorists should be tried accordingly by the Department of Justice.
PSOL
Atlas Icon

« Reply #2081 on: January 06, 2021, 11:35:46 PM »

Capitol police were much less friendly to anti Iraq war protesters.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/September_15,_2007_anti-war_protest

Yes jfern, police are predominantly antagonistic towards left-wing and POC protestors while letting white right-wingers get away with walking all over them and waving firearms in everyone’s faces. It’s known.
Very few people actually act on this knowledge after time and time again it’s shown to destroy lives. Well now all our skins almost got torn off quick and painfully.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2082 on: January 06, 2021, 11:37:14 PM »

You won't hear either.  Those people have no dignity.  If they had any dignity they wouldn't have followed Trump down the rabbit hole in the first place.
Dr Oz Lost Party!
PittsburghSteel
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2083 on: January 06, 2021, 11:37:48 PM »

Open an investigation into the Capitol Hill police immediately.
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #2084 on: January 06, 2021, 11:38:31 PM »

I want a long and extensive investigation by Congress into the Capitol Police’s preparation for and handling of this crisis. Anyone who aided and abetted the terrorists should be tried accordingly by the Department of Justice.

It's shocking how this was allowed to happen.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2085 on: January 06, 2021, 11:38:45 PM »

I don't know what's more frustrating: Hearing Pence & Mitch speak or folks actually feeling comfort them despite their culpability of today's actions.

Oh I fully acknowledge they are culpable but they still had some strong words that were refreshing to hear from Republicans of their position. It was extremely obvious they were pissed too, honestly felt like some of the most authentic things they’ve ever said.

Or, they are just skilled enough politicians to know which way the wind is blowing, and that their best interests are served by distancing themselves from this Riot as much as possible. If you believe they've actually suffered some conversion over this incident, you're dreaming.

I suspect some may have been genuinely scared.

Oh sure, most if not all.

But my point is if you believe any Congressional Republicans at all any kind of moral Epiphany over the dangers of using demagoguery to incite mob violence, rather than viewing it as a potential PR disaster to be dodged, that's rainbows and unicorns level fantasy.
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2086 on: January 06, 2021, 11:40:06 PM »

Trump's enablers over the last 4 years really owe America a G** Damn Apology.
randomusername

« Reply #2087 on: January 06, 2021, 11:41:21 PM »

Fallon has been infinitely more Presidential than our "President".
Velasco
andi
Junior Chimp
Western Sahara

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2088 on: January 06, 2021, 11:42:14 PM »

Now that the dust has settled, I hope we can all at least recognize that those calling for the police to fire on the protestors was absolutely insane.  They handled the situation absolutely appropriately and minimized the carnage.  The Congress is already back in session and it doesn't appear that there is any irreparable damage.  It could have been a LOT worse if people had let their emotions direct them.

An krganized fascist mob storms tbe Capitol, sends an active session of Congress literally running for their lives, occupies the Congressional. chambers in an absolutely unprecedented display of mob rule in this country, and ONLY 15 ARRESTS?!?!?!?

No, the Capitol Police showed disgusting and disparate levels of kids glove behavior towards these thugs. The fact you are overt sympathetic towards that mob speaks volumes.

Firing on the protestors is hardly the best way to solve this. Rather, when the dust is actually settled, I think it would be neccessary an inquiry to find out how it was possible that mob stormed the Capitol. What happened there? Lack of foresight, incompetence, culpable negligence? It's not that the Capitol is easily reachable under normal circumstances...
QAnonKelly
dotard

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -5.50

« Reply #2089 on: January 06, 2021, 11:43:39 PM »

Zuckerberg needs to be hauled in front a tribunal for all the chaos he’s injected into this world.
Calthrina950
Atlas Icon
United States

P P
« Reply #2090 on: January 06, 2021, 11:44:50 PM »

Now that the dust has settled, I hope we can all at least recognize that those calling for the police to fire on the protestors was absolutely insane.  They handled the situation absolutely appropriately and minimized the carnage.  The Congress is already back in session and it doesn't appear that there is any irreparable damage.  It could have been a LOT worse if people had let their emotions direct them.

An krganized fascist mob storms tbe Capitol, sends an active session of Congress literally running for their lives, occupies the Congressional. chambers in an absolutely unprecedented display of mob rule in this country, and ONLY 15 ARRESTS?!?!?!?

No, the Capitol Police showed disgusting and disparate levels of kids glove behavior towards these thugs. The fact you are overt sympathetic towards that mob speaks volumes.

Firing on the protestors is hardly the best way to solve this. Rather, when the dust is actually settled, I think it would be neccessary an inquiry to find out how it was possible that mob stormed the Capitol. What happened there? Lack of foresight, incompetence, culpable negligence? It's not that the Capitol is easily reachable under normal circumstances...

One of the few things Congress knows how to do well, at least in determining fact and circumstances, is conducting investigations. I'm sure Pelosi, Schumer, McConnell, McCarthy, and other Democratic and Republican leaders of both chambers are probably already talking about launching one.
Virginiá
Virginia
Administratrix
Atlas Icon
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.97, S: -5.91

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2091 on: January 06, 2021, 11:45:10 PM »

It'd be lovely to be able to say that the Capitol Police merely tried to exercise restraint and appeasement to avoid bloodshed in a completely non-biased manner, but with what we've seen from police over the years (and more recently), it's virtually impossible to think that without laughing out loud. Especially considering reports of police taking selfies with the insurrectionists.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2092 on: January 06, 2021, 11:45:17 PM »

Fallon has been infinitely more Presidential than our "President".

It really just does not get any more sad than that.
John Dule
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 6.57, S: -7.50

P P P
« Reply #2093 on: January 06, 2021, 11:45:25 PM »

I wanted to admire how she served for 14 years in the Air Force aaaaannnnndddd turns out she was one of the biggest QAnon preachers on Twitter lmao

I keep telling people. Being in the military is literally just a job. Especially for people like her who were probably unemployable in any other profession. It's not inherently honorable. In fact, lots of people in the military are complete scum. The opposite is true, of course, but unconditional worship is not earned or deserved.

Absolutely. No job is inherently honorable.
Lexii, harbinger of chaos and sexual anarchy
Alex
Junior Chimp
Argentina

« Reply #2094 on: January 06, 2021, 11:45:37 PM »

Dude left it with the wrong Senator's voice mail too. This dude literally does not know how to use a phone.

He has a history of that kind of stuff

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/rudy-giuliani-butt-dials-nbc-reporter-heard-discussing-need-cash-n1071901

Rudy Giuliani butt-dials NBC reporter, heard discussing need for cash and trashing Bidens (2019)

The call came in at 11:07 p.m. and went to voicemail; the reporter was asleep.

The next morning, a message exactly three minutes long was sitting in the reporter's voicemail. In the recording, the words tumbling out of Giuliani's mouth were not directed at the reporter. He was speaking to someone else, someone in the same room.

https://news.yahoo.com/giuliani-caught-voicemail-saying-planned-000000059.html 
Giuliani caught on voicemail saying he planned to ‘get rid of’ his phone number, raising questions about evidence destruction (December 2020)

NEW YORK — Rudy Giuliani’s ineptitude with smartphones came back to bite him once again Tuesday — this time in the case against a former business partner accused of political corruption.

An attorney for Lev Parnas revealed in a new Manhattan Federal Court filing that he received an odd voicemail from Giuliani weeks after the Ukraine-born businessman’s arrest. In classic Giuliani fashion, the personal attorney for President Donald Trump failed to hang up his phone.

Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #2095 on: January 06, 2021, 11:46:23 PM »

I hope Trump's watching this.  I hope he's Mad AF right now.  I hope he's worried about his impending jail sentence in NY. 
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #2096 on: January 06, 2021, 11:46:28 PM »

Has the joint session begun considering certificates again?

They're zooming through the uncontested ones now. Just did Delaware.

Thank. I just saw the NYT live feed is back on.
randomusername

« Reply #2097 on: January 06, 2021, 11:47:10 PM »

Dude left it with the wrong Senator's voice mail too. This dude literally does not know how to use a phone.

He has a history of that kind of stuff

https://www.nbcnews.com/politics/politics-news/rudy-giuliani-butt-dials-nbc-reporter-heard-discussing-need-cash-n1071901

Rudy Giuliani butt-dials NBC reporter, heard discussing need for cash and trashing Bidens (2019)

The call came in at 11:07 p.m. and went to voicemail; the reporter was asleep.

The next morning, a message exactly three minutes long was sitting in the reporter's voicemail. In the recording, the words tumbling out of Giuliani's mouth were not directed at the reporter. He was speaking to someone else, someone in the same room.

https://news.yahoo.com/giuliani-caught-voicemail-saying-planned-000000059.html 
Giuliani caught on voicemail saying he planned to ‘get rid of’ his phone number, raising questions about evidence destruction (December 2020)

NEW YORK — Rudy Giuliani’s ineptitude with smartphones came back to bite him once again Tuesday — this time in the case against a former business partner accused of political corruption.

An attorney for Lev Parnas revealed in a new Manhattan Federal Court filing that he received an odd voicemail from Giuliani weeks after the Ukraine-born businessman’s arrest. In classic Giuliani fashion, the personal attorney for President Donald Trump failed to hang up his phone.

Was thinking about this when I made this post. I just don't understand how after those screw-ups he still made the same mistake.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #2098 on: January 06, 2021, 11:48:11 PM »

How is it possible that 2/3 of House Republicans are still voting to object??

Because Trumpist is still the GOP religion
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #2099 on: January 06, 2021, 11:49:30 PM »

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA
Pages: 1 ... 79 80 81 82 83 [84] 85 86 87 88 89 ... 197