Texas Gubernatorial Race
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 04:42:14 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  Texas Gubernatorial Race
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: its your choose
Rick Perry (R)

Chris Bell (D)

James Werner (L)

Richard "Kinky" Friedman (I)

Carole Keeton Strayhorn (I)

Larry Camp (I)

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 49

Author Topic: Texas Gubernatorial Race  (Read 7449 times)
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 12, 2006, 11:30:10 AM »
« edited: July 12, 2006, 12:43:54 PM by Bacon King »

Vote for who you support.

The most interesting governor race this year, IMO.

I Included all candidates with a website.

http://www.rickperry.org/
http://www.chrisbell.com/
http://www.lptexas.org/2006/werner/
http://www.kinkyfriedman.com/
http://www.carolestrayhorn.com/
http://www.larrywcamp.com/
Tender Branson
Mark Warner 08
Atlas Institution
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -6.06, S: -4.84

« Reply #1 on: July 12, 2006, 12:19:59 PM »

What´s so interesting about it ? Perry will win.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2006, 12:32:48 PM »

I'll take Perry and he'll win. *waits for crazed Kinky fans to say I'm wrong* -_-
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2006, 12:42:26 PM »

What are we voting for?  Who we want to win?  If so, switch one Perry to Friedman.  Otherwise, keep it on Perry.
Bacon King
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.63, S: -9.49

« Reply #4 on: July 12, 2006, 12:43:20 PM »

I like this race because unlike most races that are just Rep vs Dem, here you have two independants that are both polling on par with the Democratic nominee. A four way race is more exciting than a two way race.

What are we voting for?  Who we want to win?  If so, switch one Perry to Friedman.  Otherwise, keep it on Perry.
Yes, sorry if I didn't make that clear.
Harry
Atlas Superstar
Ukraine

« Reply #5 on: July 12, 2006, 03:36:02 PM »

I'm rooting for Bell.  I'm holding off my endorsement to early November, and it will either go to Bell or Kinky, whichever has the best shot of beating Perry.

At this point, I'm predicting a Kinky vs. Perry showdown.
nini2287
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 2.77, S: -3.39

« Reply #6 on: July 12, 2006, 05:00:35 PM »

Nym90
nym90
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -2.96

P P P
« Reply #7 on: July 12, 2006, 05:16:52 PM »

Bell.

As others  have said, however, if one of the Bell/Strayhorn/Friedman trio breaks away from the other two, I'll switch my support to them. Basically I'm an Anybody but Perry guy at this point.
riceowl
riceowl315
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: July 12, 2006, 05:23:01 PM »

Probably Friedman, since it really doesn't matter.  And if it does matter, good.
Colin
ColinW
Atlas Icon
Papua New Guinea

Political Matrix
E: 3.87, S: -6.09

« Reply #9 on: July 12, 2006, 07:54:11 PM »

Well its not often that you have a race where it is very likely that four candidates may get above 20% of the vote. Perry probably will win but a four-way race like that is very interesting and very unusual.

Anyway I vote Kinky.
Bleeding heart conservative, HTMLdon
htmldon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: 1.03, S: -2.26

« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 08:26:01 PM »

Strayhorn
Boris
boris78
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -1.55, S: -4.52

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 11:32:45 PM »

Kinky, but Perry will win by at least ten percentage points.
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 11:35:17 PM »

Kinky
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #13 on: July 13, 2006, 12:57:17 AM »

Kinky, and I have a good feeling. I'm not even going to bother arguing with the thick headed pseduo-realists who are so confident in Perry.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #14 on: July 13, 2006, 12:16:03 PM »

The Jewish Cowboy
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #15 on: July 13, 2006, 12:18:01 PM »

Kinky, and I have a good feeling. I'm not even going to bother arguing with the thick headed pseduo-realists who are so confident in Perry.
Given your contempt for Strayhorn, you might not like this next part...if Strayhorn implodes, just where do you think her voters are going to go, Vlad? And will that make Perry stronger or weaker?

Oh, and I see the classic Internet forum left-libertarian bias is fully in effect Wink
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 01:16:27 PM »

As others have said, if one of the Bell/Strayhorn/Friedman trio breaks away from the other two, I'll switch my support to them. Basically I'm an Anybody but Perry guy at this point.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2006, 02:58:06 PM »

Given your contempt for Strayhorn, you might not like this next part...if Strayhorn implodes, just where do you think her voters are going to go, Vlad? And will that make Perry stronger or weaker?

Oh, and I see the classic Internet forum left-libertarian bias is fully in effect Wink

Well, Strayhorn has already imploded in my mind(she has gone from within 9 points of Perry to last place in the polls) and as a result Kinky has done nothing but close the gap with Perry. I think Strayhorn has about as many independent supporters as she does Republican supporters. The problem for Perry is that the "Strayhorn Republicans" aren't budging, while her independent base is going over to support the black horse campaign of Kinky Friedman. While this isn't weakening Perry, it's giving Kinky a strong boost...perhaps strong enough.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #18 on: July 14, 2006, 12:05:46 AM »

Friedman announced that he may sell his Pink Cadillac the Yom Kippur Clipper and get something that runs on bio-diesel.
jimrtex
Atlas Icon
Marshall Islands

« Reply #19 on: July 14, 2006, 01:23:46 AM »

Her money is coming from trial lawyers, teachers unions, and other groups who traditionally fund Democrats.  One backer is Tony Sanchez, the self-funded Democratic gubernatorial candidate from 2002.  They're backing Strayhorn becase they consider Bell hopeless.  I don't think they can take their money back, but having already made a decision to not waste money on Bell, will they give him any money?  Bell is campaigning for Strayhorn's supporters, but I don't know that much of her supporters would vote Democratic in the first place.

Her support is much stronger among women than men.  Someone who will vote for a candidate because they are a woman isn't going to switch to one of the male candidates.  And they are also aren't going to think that it is kookish to be complaining about not being permitted to use "Grandma" on the ballot, even though she has never run as "Grandma" before, and hasn't used the name in her professional/public life.

So I doubt that she will drop to single digits.
MissCatholic

« Reply #20 on: July 14, 2006, 11:15:59 AM »

wait to see whos the genuine opposition to perry.
M

« Reply #21 on: July 14, 2006, 11:39:13 AM »

Yeah, I'm tempted to say anyone but Perry. But when I actually get to the ballot box- well, I'd never vote for Bell, Strayhorn's lost my vote (which has solidly hers), and Kinky I think could say offensive things about foreign policy once in office, and have a national platform. Not voting for me is not a principled option, so I may have to vote another 4 years for that power-hungry, shameless, unscrupled SOB.
Frodo
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #22 on: July 14, 2006, 06:33:54 PM »

Kinky Friedman, probably, though I deem his candidacy much over-hyped, and that the incumbent governor -Rick Perry- will easily win re-election to a second term when voters go to the polls this November, no matter what the polls now say.  I'm sorry, but I just can't see Kinky becoming the Jesse Ventura of the Lone Star State -Texas doesn't strike me as the kind of state that would elect people like that to public office.   
M

« Reply #23 on: July 15, 2006, 05:06:15 PM »

Kinky Friedman, probably, though I deem his candidacy much over-hyped, and that the incumbent governor -Rick Perry- will easily win re-election to a second term when voters go to the polls this November, no matter what the polls now say.  I'm sorry, but I just can't see Kinky becoming the Jesse Ventura of the Lone Star State -Texas doesn't strike me as the kind of state that would elect people like that to public office.   

Right.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #24 on: July 17, 2006, 02:34:13 PM »

Well, Strayhorn has already imploded in my mind(she has gone from within 9 points of Perry to last place in the polls) and as a result Kinky has done nothing but close the gap with Perry. I think Strayhorn has about as many independent supporters as she does Republican supporters. The problem for Perry is that the "Strayhorn Republicans" aren't budging, while her independent base is going over to support the black horse campaign of Kinky Friedman. While this isn't weakening Perry, it's giving Kinky a strong boost...perhaps strong enough.

Statistical tie with Kinky and Bell, bub. Wink Not quite an implosion Tongue

Well, while I really would like an in-depth look at sources of support...oh, wait, jimrtex posted, there we go Smiley

Her money is coming from trial lawyers, teachers unions, and other groups who traditionally fund Democrats.  One backer is Tony Sanchez, the self-funded Democratic gubernatorial candidate from 2002.  They're backing Strayhorn becase they consider Bell hopeless.  I don't think they can take their money back, but having already made a decision to not waste money on Bell, will they give him any money?  Bell is campaigning for Strayhorn's supporters, but I don't know that much of her supporters would vote Democratic in the first place.

Her support is much stronger among women than men.  Someone who will vote for a candidate because they are a woman isn't going to switch to one of the male candidates.  And they are also aren't going to think that it is kookish to be complaining about not being permitted to use "Grandma" on the ballot, even though she has never run as "Grandma" before, and hasn't used the name in her professional/public life.

So I doubt that she will drop to single digits.

Ah, thanks for the analysis. Smiley

My point was...I don't think the Strayhorn Republicans would switch to Friedman or Bell. And that means Perry wins, period.

And I agree with Blue Dog Dem and M on this race. Tongue
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies