Biden to tap Merrick Garland for attorney general
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 09:28:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  Biden to tap Merrick Garland for attorney general
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Biden to tap Merrick Garland for attorney general  (Read 493 times)
pppolitics
Junior Chimp

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2021, 12:18:48 PM »

Joe Biden has selected Judge Merrick Garland to serve as his attorney general, according to two people with knowledge of the decision.

Biden selected Garland over former Sen. Doug Jones (D-AL) and former deputy attorney general Sally Yates, choosing to elevate the chief judge of the United States Court of Appeals in D.C. to run the Justice Department.

In 2016, President Barack Obama nominated Garland to serve on the Supreme Court, but his nomination languished in the GOP-controlled Senate at the end of the former president’s term. In recent weeks, Garland has been recusing himself from cases involving the federal government, fueling speculation that he was a leading candidate for the job.

In a Republican-controlled Senate, Jones was viewed as the easiest candidate to get confirmed given his strong relationships across the aisle. Garland was also considered a risk in that it would be difficult to confirm a replacement for him on the appellate court.

[...]

https://www.politico.com/news/2021/01/06/biden-to-tap-merrick-garland-for-attorney-general-455410
KaiserDave
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.81, S: -5.39

P

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 12:20:33 PM »

Horrible! Massive disappointment. The Jonesists will not tolerate this.
This user has not been convicted of 34 felonies
20RP12
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -7.13

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 12:25:48 PM »

Jones was such an obvious slam dunk pick. I don't understand why we have to do this.
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -4.70

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 12:28:46 PM »

Jones was such an obvious slam dunk pick. I don't understand why we have to do this.

Because we finally have a president who is taking the Judiciary seriously?  Garland is 68 years old and his seat on the bench is one of the most important seats in the country.  Biden can now fill that seat with someone who could occupy it for the next 30 years.

Republicans have played the long game with the courts.  It's time for Democrats to do the same.  This is a great move.
Blair
Blair2015
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 12:38:19 PM »

I'm unsure about this; Merrick Garland is the type of person who would get the role of Attorney General if it was actually the professional head of the DOJ rather than the strange straddle it plays.

AG is such a weird role; in both requiring someone who is extremely political but also someone who is in theory seen as being independent & gets the role of that the DOJ plays on enforcement issues.

I'm very unsure what he'd be like on issues around criminal justice reform or even on the wider issues on corruption unveiled by the Trump years.

The one thing it does show is that this pick is pretty much like every other big job so far; an old, relatively apolitical technocrat.

CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 12:39:31 PM »

Because we finally have a president who is taking the Judiciary seriously?  Garland is 68 years old and his seat on the bench is one of the most important seats in the country.  Biden can now fill that seat with someone who could occupy it for the next 30 years.

Republicans have played the long game with the courts.  It's time for Democrats to do the same.  This is a great move.
You don't have to open the seat by making him Attorney General! He's 68, he could just retire. Or make him Ambassador to Luxembourg or something.

You think someone occupying one of the most powerful judicial seats in the country is going to give it up to be Ambassador to Luxembourg?

Garland is a man known for his integrity and ability.  He's supremely qualified.  My guess is that he wants to continue working for the American people.  Now he can.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 12:39:55 PM »

I don’t hate it, but disappointed it’s not Jones. Hopefully they can find some role for him.
Grumpier Than Uncle Joe
GM3PRP
Atlas Legend
Greece
« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 12:39:58 PM »

Why would he even want that job?
BudgieForce
YaBB God

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 12:46:46 PM »

I think some of you underestimate how pervasive "justice for Garland" is among rank and file democrats. Democrats are going to love this pick.
😥
andjey
Junior Chimp
Ukraine
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 12:48:00 PM »

It's very sad and disappointing. I, like almost everyone else, wanted Jones
CellarDoor
United States

Political Matrix

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 12:48:49 PM »

You don't have to open the seat by making him Attorney General! He's 68, he could just retire. Or make him Ambassador to Luxembourg or something.

You think someone occupying one of the most powerful judicial seats in the country is going to give it up to be Ambassador to Luxembourg?

Garland is a man known for his integrity and ability.  He's supremely qualified.  My guess is that he wants to continue working for the American people.  Now he can.
Yes! It's a bribe to get him to retire. You can also give him a no-show job at a law school or just pay him in cash, though there are more rules about that.

Bribes require offering something of value.  Being the Ambassador to Luxembourg is quite a step down from one of the most important jobs in the country.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies