Christians: Has your pastor ever ended a prayer with the word "Awomen"?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 26, 2024, 11:40:18 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Christians: Has your pastor ever ended a prayer with the word "Awomen"?
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Poll
Question: ...
Yes

No

F#ck no!

Show Pie Chart
Partisan results

Total Voters: 48

Author Topic: Christians: Has your pastor ever ended a prayer with the word "Awomen"?  (Read 2034 times)
The world will shine with light in our nightmare
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

Political Matrix
E: -6.32, S: -7.48

P P P

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 06, 2021, 12:18:31 AM »

Option 3.

"Amen" is simply Hebrew for "So it be" or "It is so". The presiding minister in the House who used this word is UMC, although usage of this word is not commonplace in any denomination that I'm familiar with. Before this week I'd never even heard it in my life, but I'm curious if there are any people here who have.

As far as I'm concerned, this is just another example of English speakers corrupting words from other languages and cultures so they can vie for the title of Most Woke.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #1 on: January 06, 2021, 01:36:04 AM »

wtf?! I have never heard this word in my life. What a disgrace. Sad
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #2 on: January 06, 2021, 01:38:07 AM »

This reminds me of an older family friend of mine who occasionally says things like "femtal health" and "First Afemdfemt". Deeply unserious.
DC Al Fine
Atlas Icon
Canada

« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2021, 06:06:54 AM »

Lolno
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -1.57

« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2021, 08:31:46 AM »

F#ck no!

[of course since I'm Italian I wouldn't expect 90% of people around here to ever even think of such a thing, and the kind of Italian who might be seriously interested in English-language #woke plays on words is not the kind of Italian who becomes a Christian minister]

Anyway, I'm now awaiting the day some idiotic Maths professor mentions "womanifolds" during a topology lesson.
°Leprechaun
tmcusa2
Junior Chimp
Uruguay

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 08:49:18 AM »

How about Amenx as a compromise, haha haha haha haha Smiley

Anyway, I do not plan to lose any sleep over an issue that I do not care about when thousands are dying ever day.
100% pro-life no matter what
ExtremeRepublican
Moderators
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 7.35, S: 5.57

« Reply #6 on: January 06, 2021, 09:31:39 AM »

Absolutely not.  I voted "no", because I can't condone the language in the other option.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #7 on: January 06, 2021, 11:04:27 AM »

Absolutely not.  I voted "no", because I can't condone the language in the other option.

... seriously?  Lol
🦀🎂🦀🎂
CrabCake
Atlas Icon
Kiribati

« Reply #8 on: January 06, 2021, 12:20:23 PM »

Apparently it's a common jokey witticism in black churches. I think people are overthinking it.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #9 on: January 06, 2021, 12:37:51 PM »

Thank God no

I already get upset when people pronounce it "ay-men" instead of "ah-men". Come on people, it's really not that hard.
FEMA Camp Administrator
Cathcon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 01:00:10 PM »

This reminds me of an older family friend of mine who occasionally says things like "femtal health" and "First Afemdfemt". Deeply unserious.

Somehow that seems even less graceful than my early-mid 2010s habit of shoehorning the syllable "frat" into various terms.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 08:25:43 PM »

Apparently it's a common jokey witticism in black churches. I think people are overthinking it.
Only in black UMC churches, as far as I know, although the AME may have adopted it.
RI
realisticidealist
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 0.39, S: 2.61

« Reply #12 on: January 07, 2021, 12:01:26 AM »

Not just amen, but awomen and achildren, too.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 07, 2021, 08:13:02 AM »

Not just amen, but awomen and achildren, too.

In this joke that A almost looks like a negative Greek a- prefix to me for some reason.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #14 on: January 07, 2021, 07:04:05 PM »

No, and I once heard a woman speaking at my church say the Lord's Prayer starting it "Our Mother who art in Heaven...." but still ended it "For the kingdom, the power and the glory are yours, now and forever, amen."
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #15 on: January 07, 2021, 07:18:23 PM »

No, and I once heard a woman speaking at my church say the Lord's Prayer starting it "Our Mother who art in Heaven...." but still ended it "For the kingdom, the power and the glory are yours, now and forever, amen."

"Art" but "yours"? Something feels gramatically off
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #16 on: January 07, 2021, 07:27:56 PM »

Kind of a hodgepodge of different translations, using whatever translation she liked the most for each line. But with the liberty she already took with the first line I'd say that's fine.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #17 on: January 07, 2021, 07:29:48 PM »

Kind of a hodgepodge of different translations, using whatever translation she liked the most for each line. But with the liberty she already took with the first line I'd say that's fine.

Well yeah. Also it should probably be called the Lady's Prayer in this case lol.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #18 on: January 07, 2021, 08:20:42 PM »

Well yeah. Also it should probably be called the Lady's Prayer in this case lol.

As someone who believes in one Goddess, this is fascinating discourse, although when I personally pray it's nothing like the Lord's Prayer.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: January 07, 2021, 09:06:14 PM »

As someone who believes in one Goddess, this is fascinating discourse, although when I personally pray it's nothing like the Lord's Prayer.

Really? I didn't make you monotheistic.
If my soul was made of stone
discovolante
YaBB God
United States

Political Matrix
E: -8.13, S: -5.57

« Reply #20 on: January 07, 2021, 09:24:53 PM »

Really? I didn't make you monotheistic.

Not to hijack the thread (I'll continue elsewhere if anyone here is curious), but I am in fact monotheist, perhaps unless one counts lesser spirits. It's a shame that it seems that everyone with a similar persuasion (e.g. Dianic Wiccans) are rabid TERFs with in my view a very warped view of where the feminine and the divine meet.
🐒Gods of Prosperity🔱🐲💸
shua
Atlas Star
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: 1.29, S: -0.70

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #21 on: January 08, 2021, 09:13:31 PM »

"The Lady's Prayer"/"Our Mother in Heaven" ... Sounds pretty Catholic to me.
𝕭𝖆𝖕𝖙𝖎𝖘𝖙𝖆 𝕸𝖎𝖓𝖔𝖑𝖆
Battista Minola 1616
Atlas Icon
Vatican City State

Political Matrix

« Reply #22 on: January 08, 2021, 09:22:48 PM »

"The Lady's Prayer"/"Our Mother in Heaven" ... Sounds pretty Catholic to me.

I... noted the similarity as well, but I doubt that woman at BRTD's church was directing her prayer to Our Lady.
dead0man
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 09, 2021, 07:28:57 AM »

why stop at awomen?  Aren't there dozens more genders?

I'm just glad woke people never do actual work for a living or else we'd have to give up master cylinders in cars and and slave/master network setups.
The Undefeatable Debbie Stabenow
slightlyburnttoast
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.42, S: -5.43

P P
« Reply #24 on: January 30, 2021, 03:09:46 PM »

why stop at awomen?  Aren't there dozens more genders?

I'm just glad woke people never do actual work for a living or else we'd have to give up master cylinders in cars and and slave/master network setups.

Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies