New York now has the longest serving gubernatorial duo
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 08:24:34 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Gubernatorial/State Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  New York now has the longest serving gubernatorial duo
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: New York now has the longest serving gubernatorial duo  (Read 2489 times)
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 04, 2021, 02:43:44 PM »

After Governor Gary Herbert, Republican of Utah, left office today, Andrew Cuomo has officially become the longest serving incumbent governor in the United States. He took office on January 1, 2011. Cuomo is also the last governor from the generation of 2010, next in line is Jay Inslee, who became governor of Washington in 2013. I also noticed that simultaneously New York's Kathy Hochul is now the sitting lieutenant governor with longest tenure, having been sworn in January 1, 2015. There are some other deputies, like Karyn Polito of Massachusetts, who took office a few days later. I think it's interesting they both hold these positions, despite coming to office four years apart.

And it's entirely possible, if not likely, they will stay on for another term in two years. Anyway, these two are the very best gubernatorial duo (I know, I know, unpopular opinion). Nevertheless, congrats King Andy and Queen Kathy!
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 02:45:44 PM »

Andrew Cuomo is one of the worst Governors in America
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 02:59:44 PM »

He's harmed New York more than Osama bin Laden did.
Holy Unifying Centrist
DTC
Atlas Politician
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: 9.53, S: 10.54

« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2021, 03:03:39 PM »

I do not endorse this statement
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #4 on: January 04, 2021, 03:05:37 PM »

Come on, bin Ladin was a terrorist who deliberately killed thousands of people. Cuomo may have done some mistakes during the pandemic, like many elected officials have, but I doubt he deliberately wanted people to die. You may not like him, but he's not a killer.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #5 on: January 05, 2021, 02:25:33 PM »

New York is stuck with Cuomo until 2026; ironically, the New York Yankees are cursed whenever a Cuomo is in office.

From 1983 to 1994, the Yankees never made the playoffs.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-pol-yankees-cuomo-andrew-mario-world-series-20181014-story.html

Yankees fans would have to hope for 2027 with another governor or Biden/Harris still in the White House.
The Dowager Mod
texasgurl
Moderators
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -9.48, S: -8.57

P P P

« Reply #6 on: January 05, 2021, 04:36:49 PM »

I have seen many incredibly ignorant posts in my 16 years here and this one easily makes the top 5.
Santander
Atlas Star
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 4.00, S: 2.61

« Reply #7 on: January 05, 2021, 04:47:39 PM »

I'm going to hell for liking this post.
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #8 on: January 05, 2021, 04:59:48 PM »

I have seen many incredibly ignorant posts in my 16 years here and this one easily makes the top 5.

More people have died via his Covid handling than died on 9/11. It's just mathematics.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix

« Reply #9 on: January 05, 2021, 05:19:18 PM »

More people have died via his Covid handling than died on 9/11. It's just mathematics.

> Pretending Cuomo deliberately let it happen. I agree he should have acted a week or two earlier in spring, but a comparison with the greatest terrorist attack that took place on US soil is not appropriate. It's also not entirely clear or possible to answer how many lives could have saved if Cuomo did A or B differently.

Even if he did close to 100% right, there would still be thousands of deaths. That's even the case in countries that were praised for their Covid handling.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #10 on: January 06, 2021, 09:14:51 AM »

After Governor Gary Herbert, Republican of Utah, left office today, Andrew Cuomo has officially become the longest serving incumbent governor in the United States. He took office on January 1, 2011. Cuomo is also the last governor from the generation of 2010, next in line is Jay Inslee, who became governor of Washington in 2013. I also noticed that simultaneously New York's Kathy Hochul is now the sitting lieutenant governor with longest tenure, having been sworn in January 1, 2015. There are some other deputies, like Karyn Polito of Massachusetts, who took office a few days later. I think it's interesting they both hold these positions, despite coming to office four years apart.

And it's entirely possible, if not likely, they will stay on for another term in two years. Anyway, these two are the very best gubernatorial duo (I know, I know, unpopular opinion). Nevertheless, congrats King Andy and Queen Kathy!
True. Greg Abbott is likely one of the longest serving GOP Governors in office and one of the few to serve in a pre Trump era.
Intell
Junior Chimp
Nepal

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -1.24

« Reply #11 on: January 06, 2021, 11:56:33 AM »

> Pretending Cuomo deliberately let it happen. I agree he should have acted a week or two earlier in spring, but a comparison with the greatest terrorist attack that took place on US soil is not appropriate. It's also not entirely clear or possible to answer how many lives could have saved if Cuomo did A or B differently.

Even if he did close to 100% right, there would still be thousands of deaths. That's even the case in countries that were praised for their Covid handling.

His incompetence led to the death of countless. He had as bad of a response to COVID as Trump and that's no exaggeration.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: January 08, 2021, 04:00:13 PM »
« Edited: January 08, 2021, 04:56:34 PM by cinyc »

New York is stuck with Cuomo until 2026; ironically, the New York Yankees are cursed whenever a Cuomo is in office.

https://www.nydailynews.com/news/politics/ny-pol-yankees-cuomo-andrew-mario-world-series-20181014-story.html

Yankees fans would have to hope for 2027 with another governor or Biden/Harris still in the White House.

How are we stuck with Cuomo until 2026, when there will be a gubernatorial primary and a general election in 2022, and Cuomo could run for President in 2024 if Biden retires or does an incompetent job in office? There are too many unknowns in between now and then.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #13 on: January 08, 2021, 04:49:36 PM »

How are we stuck with Cuomo until 2026, when there will be a gubernatorial primary and a general election in 2022, and Cuomo could run for President in 2024 if Biden retires or does an incompetent job in office. There are too many unknowns in between now and then.

Cuomo can't win the presidency. He has too much baggage.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #14 on: January 08, 2021, 04:55:57 PM »

How are we stuck with Cuomo until 2026, when there will be a gubernatorial primary and a general election in 2022, and Cuomo could run for President in 2024 if Biden retires or does an incompetent job in office. There are too many unknowns in between now and then.

If he has too much baggage to win the Presidency, then why is re-election in 2022 a shoe-in?

Anything can happen in 2 years, let alone 4.
Suburbia
bronz4141
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 08, 2021, 05:11:16 PM »

If he has too much baggage to win the Presidency, then why is re-election in 2022 a shoe-in?

Because the NYGOP doesn't have much of a bench other than Harry Wilson and Nicole Malliotakis.
cinyc
Atlas Icon

« Reply #16 on: January 08, 2021, 05:17:25 PM »

Because the NYGOP doesn't have much of a bench other than Harry Wilson and Nicole Malliotakis.

They have Marc Molinaro, too, among others.

Cuomo could lose a Democratic primary from the left if the people turn on him, too.

Nothing is guaranteed. 2 years is an awfully long time in politics.
Oregon Eagle Politics
United States

« Reply #17 on: January 08, 2021, 05:35:25 PM »

while it's definitely true that Cuomo is 100% responsible for more deaths than Osama Bin Laden is, intentions matter. Cuomo did not do it on purpose. 9/11 affected only NYC, while COVID affects almost everywhere.
Young Conservative
youngconservative
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 12, 2021, 04:31:55 PM »

Cuomo is grossly incompetent, power hungry, and a generally awful individual. However, he is not a truly evil, malicious person. Comparing him to Osama Bin Laden is disgraceful and untrue.

Anyways, screw Cuomo.
SWE
SomebodyWhoExists
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #19 on: January 15, 2021, 10:22:26 AM »

Come on, bin Ladin was a terrorist who deliberately killed thousands of people. Cuomo may have done some mistakes during the pandemic, like many elected officials have, but I doubt he deliberately wanted people to die. You may not like him, but he's not a killer.
I'm really not sure how you can look at Cuomo's record on covid and come to the conclusion that he didn't want people to die.
Hammy
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 15, 2021, 09:37:39 PM »

while it's definitely true that Cuomo is 100% responsible for more deaths than Osama Bin Laden is, intentions matter. Cuomo did not do it on purpose. 9/11 affected only NYC, while COVID affects almost everywhere.

Death through negligence and gross incompetence is worse in a sense because this is somebody you trusted to have the public's best interests first, and failed. On the other hand you don't put trust or faith in public safety in the hands of terrorists.
Antonio the Sixth
Antonio V
Atlas Institution
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.87, S: -3.83

P P
« Reply #21 on: January 15, 2021, 11:18:44 PM »

And what a dream team that is. Roll Eyes
Chips
Those Chips
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2021, 11:24:47 PM »

Interesting.
Fuzzy Bear
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #23 on: January 16, 2021, 04:36:29 PM »

So why wasn't it infracted for "Excessive Hyperbole"?  Because he's a Democrat and no one reported it?

Mario Cuomo 1982 was my last vote in NY, while I was still an active Democrat.  One more example of how the father being so much better than the son.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies