English mega-local elections, 2021
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 29, 2024, 06:31:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  English mega-local elections, 2021
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17
Author Topic: English mega-local elections, 2021  (Read 22897 times)
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #150 on: May 07, 2021, 10:02:35 AM »

Ben Houchen (Con) has won the Tees Valley Mayoral Race with 73% of the vote.

Surprise
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #151 on: May 07, 2021, 10:05:59 AM »

Ben Houchen (Con) has won the Tees Valley Mayoral Race with 73% of the vote.

I can't see this on the BBC?

Edit: https://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tees-57028650
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #152 on: May 07, 2021, 10:12:10 AM »

Turnout up 13 points to 34% in Tees Valley.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.52, S: 2.61

« Reply #153 on: May 07, 2021, 10:17:29 AM »

Labour held the Liverpool Mayoralty (the city itself, not the regional metro mayor).
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #154 on: May 07, 2021, 10:28:11 AM »

It now looks like Sadiq Khan will do very well in the London Mayoral election. Do you think his coattails will flip some GLA constituencies?

I'm thinking particularly of South West (Hounslow, Kingston, Richmond) and West Central (Westminster, Kensington, Hammersmith).

Havering and Redbridge less likely I think because of the strong UKIP vote last time.

Looks to be close in West Central. Not enough of Havering and Redbridge in to form meaningful conclusions but Tories are confident.

Where do you read this? Uniform swing assumed it was looking marginal, but very crudely based on my interactions the Tory vote was fairly solid in my pro-EU circle.

Conservatives were only ahead by a couple of percentage points with most of Hammersmith and Fulham yet to count.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #155 on: May 07, 2021, 10:28:53 AM »

It now looks like Sadiq Khan will do very well in the London Mayoral election. Do you think his coattails will flip some GLA constituencies?

I'm thinking particularly of South West (Hounslow, Kingston, Richmond) and West Central (Westminster, Kensington, Hammersmith).

Havering and Redbridge less likely I think because of the strong UKIP vote last time.

Looks to be close in West Central. Not enough of Havering and Redbridge in to form meaningful conclusions but Tories are confident.

Where do you read this? Uniform swing assumed it was looking marginal, but very crudely based on my interactions the Tory vote was fairly solid in my pro-EU circle.

Conservatives were only ahead by a couple of percentage points with most of Hammersmith and Fulham yet to count.

Where do you get this information? Is it only H&F left?
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #156 on: May 07, 2021, 10:31:14 AM »

Off the London Elects website + local sources and people in another place.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #157 on: May 07, 2021, 10:32:56 AM »

Off the London Elects website + local sources and people in another place.

Ah yes I see two hours ago in another place that the Tories are ahead by 4 after 42% in.
YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #158 on: May 07, 2021, 10:35:40 AM »

Labour lost control in Sheffield.  The council leader lost his Hillsborough seat to the Greens, who made 5 gains.  The Lib Dems made three gains, but missed out on a couple they might have won, while the Tories won the UKIP/Independent seat in Stocksbridge & Upper Don to regain a presence on the Council after 13 years Sad.  New council Lab 41, Lib Dem 29, Green 13, Con 1.

Map:
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #159 on: May 07, 2021, 10:40:46 AM »

Labour lost control in Sheffield.  The council leader lost his Hillsborough seat to the Greens, who made 5 gains.  The Lib Dems made three gains, but missed out on a couple they might have won, while the Tories won the UKIP/Independent seat in Stocksbridge & Upper Don to regain a presence on the Council after 13 years Sad.  New council Lab 41, Lib Dem 29, Green 13, Con 1.

Map:

Based on those results would the LDs have won Hallam?
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #160 on: May 07, 2021, 10:47:33 AM »

'Tory sources' say they believe they can now win the London mayoralty. That would be odd.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #161 on: May 07, 2021, 10:49:21 AM »

YL
YorkshireLiberal
YaBB God
United Kingdom

« Reply #162 on: May 07, 2021, 10:49:32 AM »

Map:

Based on those results would the LDs have won Hallam?

Yes, easily.  They weren't that far behind in Crookes & Crosspool and were way ahead of Labour in Fulwood and Dore & Totley.

Greens probably carried Sheffield Central, though the ward boundaries don't quite match.

Meanwhile in Barnsley the Tories did surprisingly well in the two wards covering the town of Hoyland.  They were closeish in Hoyland Milton, and actually tied with the Labour candidate in Rockingham.  But they lost the coin toss...
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #163 on: May 07, 2021, 10:51:09 AM »

'Tory sources' say they believe they can now win the London mayoralty. That would be odd.

That certainly a case of them putting the cart before the horse. Northing suggests the Conservatives are gaining in Remain/Globalized areas, in fact their falling back in some like Cambridge. Jaichind's chart basically has the full story.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #164 on: May 07, 2021, 10:56:55 AM »

That certainly a case of them putting the cart before the horse. Northing suggests the Conservatives are gaining in Remain/Globalized areas, in fact their falling back in some like Cambridge. Jaichind's chart basically has the full story.

Yes. Low turnout probably favours the Tories, but I think it'll mean a good Khan victory rather than a landslide.
OSR stands with Israel
Computer89
Atlas Legend

Political Matrix
E: 3.42, S: 2.61

P P P

« Reply #165 on: May 07, 2021, 11:30:48 AM »

Cassius
YaBB God

« Reply #166 on: May 07, 2021, 11:32:04 AM »

I’ll have whatever they’re smoking.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #167 on: May 07, 2021, 12:01:55 PM »

BBC repeating the line that the London mayoral race is much closer than expected - apparently it’s 39% for Khan and 37% for Bailey. However, the more Tory boroughs are largely counting today, so Khan should probably win in the end.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #168 on: May 07, 2021, 12:08:18 PM »

BBC repeating the line that the London mayoral race is much closer than expected - apparently it’s 39% for Khan and 37% for Bailey. However, the more Tory boroughs are largely counting today, so Khan should probably win in the end.

So Khan is up by 2 in mostly Conservative areas and that's a bad thing for him? So the media's ignorance of political geography is an international phenomenon. 
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #169 on: May 07, 2021, 12:12:34 PM »
« Edited: May 07, 2021, 12:16:43 PM by Alcibiades »

So Khan is up by 2 in mostly Conservative areas and that's a bad thing for him? So the media's ignorance of political geography is an international phenomenon. 

Well, it’s not just Conservative areas, although they are somewhat more Tory than the areas being counted tomorrow. They are right that this is much closer, even at this stage, than anyone had expected before.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #170 on: May 07, 2021, 12:56:54 PM »

Big Tory gains in Cornwall, largely at the expense of the Lib Dems.
Logical

« Reply #171 on: May 07, 2021, 01:02:52 PM »

A redux of 2016 in Scotland and Wales but a 2019 rerun in England.
beesley
Junior Chimp
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

« Reply #172 on: May 07, 2021, 01:10:19 PM »

Yes. Low turnout probably favours the Tories, but I think it'll mean a good Khan victory rather than a landslide.

Tories hold West Central by a couple of percentage points.
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #173 on: May 07, 2021, 01:14:24 PM »

Yep I can see on London Elects, but no numbers there. Do you have the margin?
Geoffrey Howe
Geoffrey Howe admirer
United Kingdom

« Reply #174 on: May 07, 2021, 01:16:34 PM »

Yep I can see on London Elects, but no numbers there. Do you have the margin?

2205 (53713 to 51508).

Wow that's close.
Do you have the percentages? (I can't find on London Elects or BBC)
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 6 [7] 8 9 10 11 12 ... 17  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies