What will get done in the 117th congress?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 25, 2024, 12:44:47 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Congressional Elections (Moderators: Brittain33, GeorgiaModerate, Gass3268, Virginiá, Gracile)
  What will get done in the 117th congress?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: What will get done in the 117th congress?  (Read 1459 times)
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: January 03, 2021, 01:40:53 PM »

How much of these things will get done in a 52-48 R Senate?
And how much will get done if the Senate is 50-50?

$2000 Stimulous checks
Puerto Rico Statehood
DC Statehood
Tax hikes on rich
Public option for ObamaCare
Justice confirmed to SCOTUS
Major infrastructure package
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #1 on: January 03, 2021, 01:50:43 PM »

If it’s republican majority McConnell will prevent Biden from leaving the Oval Office without senate approval.

If it’s a slim democratic majority then Biden can do what he needs
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #2 on: January 03, 2021, 01:53:18 PM »

Unlike in 2016, where Rs are favored, Breyer doesn't have Pancreatic cancer, that affects you sitting thru cases like RBG, Breyer isn't retiring until 2nd term of Biden and Harris, 2024( looks very good for D's.

Tax hikes and rich and minimum wage and 2K checks and campaign Finance Reform will go thru Reconciliation, in a D Senate, but Statehood depends on Manchin, he is gonna have a tough Reelection like Doug Jones in 2024
forza nocta

« Reply #3 on: January 03, 2021, 01:56:36 PM »

Ask this question in 3 days.
Frenchrepublican
Junior Chimp

P P P
« Reply #4 on: January 03, 2021, 02:01:41 PM »

Justice confirmed to SCOTUS (if Biden nominates a moderate and if he doesn't change the balance of the SCOTUS).

Major Minor infrastructure package

$2000 Stimulous checks
Puerto Rico Statehood
It’s so Joever
Forumlurker161
Atlas Icon

« Reply #5 on: January 03, 2021, 02:34:24 PM »

Justice confirmed to SCOTUS (if Biden nominates a moderate and if he doesn't change the balance of the SCOTUS).

Major Minor infrastructure package

$2000 Stimulous checks
Puerto Rico Statehood
Please let me dream of an improved America
Xing
xingkerui
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.52, S: -3.91

P P P
« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 02:39:15 PM »

A couple of months ago, I would've thought Republicans would pass a stimulus check, but I guess they've dropped any pretense of caring about Americans, so if the Senate is 52-48 or 51-49, absolutely nothing will get done. If the Senate is 50-50, then we probably get stimulus checks, a SC Justice replacement (probably for Breyer), a minor infrastructure package, and maybe a public option and/or statehood for one of DC/PR. Most Democrats wouldn't vote to raise taxes on the rich, sadly, so that's not happening any time soon.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #7 on: January 03, 2021, 03:17:18 PM »

If Democrats gain control of the Senate, then the filibuster will be eliminated & they'll do all of these things. If not, the only thing that happens is a new justice being confirmed to replace Breyer (thereby not changing the ideological balance of the Court) & maybe an infrastructure package. I'm sure there'll be another COVID stimulus package in any event, but whether or not it includes $2K checks is entirely dependent on Senate control.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #8 on: January 03, 2021, 03:23:20 PM »

If Democrats gain control of the Senate, then the filibuster will be eliminated & they'll do all of these things. If not, the only thing that happens is a new justice being confirmed to replace Breyer (thereby not changing the ideological balance of the Court) & maybe an infrastructure package. I'm sure there'll be another COVID stimulus package in any event, but whether or not it includes $2K checks is entirely dependent on Senate control.

You don't need to repeal Fillibuster for monetary policy, thru Reconciliation, Manchin will be key to getting rid of Fillibuster on immigration reform and Statehood. Minimum wage, 2K checks, tax policy and campaign Finance Reform will be put thru Reconciliation, D's had 59 votes and put the final agreement on ACA in Reconciliation. Likewise  Gore  cast the tie breaking vote in 1993 to raise taxes
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #9 on: January 03, 2021, 03:23:50 PM »

manchin will not vote to abolish the filibuster.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix

P P P

« Reply #10 on: January 03, 2021, 03:25:46 PM »

2,K checks will be put thru Reconciliation
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: January 03, 2021, 03:32:02 PM »

Yeah, you keep telling yourself that, buddy.
Matty
boshembechle
Junior Chimp

« Reply #12 on: January 03, 2021, 03:33:49 PM »

joe manchin isn't some "pretend moderate". He is a legit blue dog, even center right according to some pundits.

Why are you so confident he will vote to abolish filibuster?
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: January 03, 2021, 03:52:30 PM »

joe manchin isn't some "pretend moderate". He is a legit blue dog, even center right according to some pundits.

Why are you so confident he will vote to abolish filibuster?

Ah, I see you've fallen for his marketing too. That just goes to show you how effective it is. What you need to understand about Joe Manchin is that he has perfected the art of cultivating this image of him being a moderate Blue Dog who provides a check on the Democrats' liberal tendencies. If he hadn't perfected this art by now, then he obviously wouldn't have been re-elected at the federal level from a state as (non-Atlas) red federally as West Virginia. But that's all it is: an image.

At the end of day, he's still a reliable Democrat through-&-through. When his vote has been needed, he has always voted the party-line. Not to mention, he's recently been voting the party-line even when his vote isn't needed (e.g. convicting Trump, immediately opposing ACB, etc.), certainly a lot more than he ever would've prior to his most recent re-election campaign. It's almost like he has zero f**ks left to give because he knows that this is his last Senate term, so it's not like he has to actually worry about running in West Virginia ever again. Suffice it to say that he'll most assuredly evolve on eliminating the filibuster after Ossoff/Warnock win just like every other "institutionalist" before him has.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #14 on: January 03, 2021, 07:50:00 PM »

What good is the filibuster anyway?

Whenever a party needed something badly they just said “Fillibuster stands... for every issue except the one we’re dealing with now”

MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #15 on: January 03, 2021, 07:53:22 PM »

Call me crazy yes I want infrastructure, student loan forgiveness and so on.

But PR statehood is my number one priority. Make it so it’s at least POSSIBLE for Dems to win the Senate. Because without two more Dem seats the Senate will favor the Republicans to an insane clip

(Yes I want DC statehood so the chamber would about be right down the middle in terms of fairness - but I’m convinced that would be challenged to the SCOTUS and struck down as not constitutional)
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: January 03, 2021, 07:58:17 PM »

But PR statehood is my number one priority. Make it so it’s at least POSSIBLE for Dems to win the Senate. Because without two more Dem seats the Senate will favor the Republicans to an insane clip

Not to be pedantic, but to be pedantic: if the Democrats are in a position to admit new states, then they have already won the Senate. Admitting new states wouldn't amount to making the impossible possible so much as making the improbable more probable Wink
MATTROSE94
Junior Chimp
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -5.29, S: -6.43

P P P
« Reply #17 on: January 03, 2021, 09:28:23 PM »

(Yes I want DC statehood so the chamber would about be right down the middle in terms of fairness - but I’m convinced that would be challenged to the SCOTUS and struck down as not constitutional)
It is possible that Puerto Rico will send two Republicans to the Senate, so it is too risky to add it as a state until the Democrats regain the Senate in 2032 or 2034.
MillennialModerate
MillennialMAModerate
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #18 on: January 03, 2021, 09:31:57 PM »

It is possible that Puerto Rico will send two Republicans to the Senate, so it is too risky to add it as a state until the Democrats regain the Senate in 2032 or 2034.

After how Trump handled PR and the GOP sold its soul to Trump?

I’ll take my chances.
Orser67
Junior Chimp
United States

« Reply #19 on: January 03, 2021, 11:08:43 PM »

$2000 Stimulous checks
Puerto Rico Statehood
DC Statehood
Tax hikes on rich

W/Dem Senate:
Very likely
Probably
Maybe
Probably
Maybe (this in particular will be very tough w/no margin for error; see Trumpcare)
Probably
Probably

W/Rep Senate:
Maybe
Probably not
Definitely not
Definitely not
Definitely not
Maybe
Maybe (and probably not as large as Dems want)
MargieCat
United States

« Reply #20 on: January 03, 2021, 11:17:12 PM »

Infrastructure package.

Rural broadband.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies