Confirmation Hearing: Bono (Secretary of the Treasury)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 02:15:51 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Bono (Secretary of the Treasury)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2 3
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Bono (Secretary of the Treasury)  (Read 8639 times)
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2006, 10:23:48 AM »

This hearing is called to order.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 10:54:13 AM »

A think a quick look at the unemployment numbers shows that bono is not the best man for the job Tongue
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 11:54:18 AM »

I would like to ask the nominee, would you describe your past term as a successful one?
Hatman 🍁
EarlAW
Atlas Star
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 02:19:42 PM »

This is the one person I will vote against to confirm unless Bono plans on being more moderate.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 05:23:45 PM »

Some may call you extreme, I call you intelligent, but in the intrest of fairness as well as the intrest of  choosing an effecting leader for this position allow me to ask you;

Do qualifies you for this position, and what will you do to reach across the isle to the more moderate crowd?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #5 on: July 10, 2006, 05:40:56 PM »

I'm right in the middle now on this confirmation. I'm not sure if Bono is the right person to try and get the economy up and reduce unemployment.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

« Reply #6 on: July 10, 2006, 06:12:20 PM »
« Edited: July 10, 2006, 07:30:32 PM by Porce »

A think a quick look at the unemployment numbers shows that bono is not the best man for the job Tongue

Al has explained that much of the current economic problems have to do with the damage caused by the rebellion.
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #7 on: July 10, 2006, 07:34:45 PM »

Al has explained that much of the current economic problems have to do with the damage caused by the rebellion.

Bah, I'm sure at least some of it has to do with bono's attempt to drive Americans into bankruptcy Wink
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 08:41:40 AM »

I'm right in the middle now on this confirmation. I'm not sure if Bono is the right person to try and get the economy up and reduce unemployment.
If the senator wants to get the economy up, I sugest he starts looking for ways to cut the budget and cut taxes. Though it probably won't be needed since all this economic devastation was caused mainly by the reckless actions of one individual.  By job is to ensure that inflation stays within aceptable levels. I made that clear when I took this job. Now, the GM reports that inflation figures are very bad, even though I don't see how this is possible. What is sure is--I already started lowering interest rates, and as long as inflation levels allow me to do so, I will. We need real growth, not unsustainable growth fueled by artificially low interest rates.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 08:43:41 AM »

Some may call you extreme, I call you intelligent, but in the intrest of fairness as well as the intrest of  choosing an effecting leader for this position allow me to ask you;

Do qualifies you for this position, and what will you do to reach across the isle to the more moderate crowd?

I don't understand that first question.
As for the second, as I mentioned to senator MasterJedi, I already started a downward trend in interest rates- I'm waiting for the new figures from the GM to decide the course to take.
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: July 11, 2006, 08:44:40 AM »

I would like to ask the nominee, would you describe your past term as a successful one?
So far, I was able to mantain inflation within the target I set when I begun my term. The late economic devastation caused by factors compltely alien to me shouldn't blind us to this sucess.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #11 on: July 11, 2006, 10:42:20 AM »

If the senator wants to get the economy up, I sugest he starts looking for ways to cut the budget and cut taxes.

This is a bit of a meta-question, but...given several past Senates that have done just this, and the continuing weakness of the economy in spite of that (and the fact that, somehow, tax revenues never increased Roll Eyes ), is this really the problem, or is there some other factor involved?
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #12 on: July 11, 2006, 10:51:36 AM »

If the senator wants to get the economy up, I sugest he starts looking for ways to cut the budget and cut taxes.

This is a bit of a meta-question, but...given several past Senates that have done just this, and the continuing weakness of the economy in spite of that (and the fact that, somehow, tax revenues never increased Roll Eyes ), is this really the problem, or is there some other factor involved?

There were several external and some internal problems. First, do I really have to mention all the rebellions? They can't have a good effect on the economy, methinks.
Anyways, the budget cuts have been very small and irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. No actual functions of the federal government have been really removed. Plus, where are these tax cuts you speak of? I see no cuts, and I see some new taxes created, like that horrible social engereering sin taxes.
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #13 on: July 11, 2006, 10:57:29 AM »

Just to make this clear: the recent sharp rise in unemployment figures is down to two things:

1. A change in the way the figures are calculated (until now the longterm unemployed were not counted amoungst the ranks of the unemployed).

2. The fact that the economy of a large stretch of the Eastern seaboard was devastated by an attempted civil war/coup, which in turn resulted in panic in the markets (which have since calmed down).

While legitimate criticism of Bono's previous term at the Treasury can certainly be made, the return to mass unemployment and the likely coming recession is not his fault.

If I were still a Senator I would be asking myself two questions:

1. What were Bono's policies during his previous term?

2. Is he the right man for the job in the changed economic circumstances?

You can find out the answers to 1. by checking his thread. And you can find out the other by asking him what he intends to do.

I will also take this time to note that the economy will not magically get better (especially as far as unemployment goes), but, unless whoever runs the Treasury next is astonishingly incompetent or some other idiot starts another civil war, the economy will not collapse either.
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 11, 2006, 11:20:08 AM »
« Edited: July 11, 2006, 11:22:09 AM by Senator WMS »

There were several external and some internal problems. First, do I really have to mention all the rebellions? They can't have a good effect on the economy, methinks.
Anyways, the budget cuts have been very small and irrelevant in the grand scheme of things. No actual functions of the federal government have been really removed. Plus, where are these tax cuts you speak of? I see no cuts, and I see some new taxes created, like that horrible social engereering sin taxes.

The external problems are, quite frankly, a weakness in the simulation - anybody can, at whim, start a rebellion, and suffer next to no consequences, whereas those people in the government have to deal with all the negative aftereffects. This is not your fault Wink

Well, before I entered office the Senate was dominated by libertarians - are you saying that even they didn't make any real cuts in spending or in taxes? Hmm...

*edit*
And no, I'm not blaming him for the rise in unemployment caused by Al's 2 factors. I'm not certain I like all of his solutions or his view on what is needed, but I ain't gonna tar him with unfair charges.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #15 on: July 11, 2006, 11:25:22 AM »

So far, I was able to mantain inflation within the target I set when I begun my term. The late economic devastation caused by factors compltely alien to me shouldn't blind us to this sucess.

May I ask what your aims for a further term would be and, broadly speaking, how you intend to achieve them?
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #16 on: July 11, 2006, 12:56:51 PM »

In terms of spending cuts and federal government functions, do you intend to make any recommendations to the Senate as to where spending should be cut and as to where federal government functions should be 'rolled-back'?

'Hawk'
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #17 on: July 11, 2006, 01:21:48 PM »

In terms of spending cuts and federal government functions, do you intend to make any recommendations to the Senate as to where spending should be cut and as to where federal government functions should be 'rolled-back'?

'Hawk'

I've been working iclosely with the president. Many of his recent legislative propositions have been advised by me.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 11, 2006, 01:23:40 PM »

'Hawk'

I've been working iclosely with the president. Many of his recent legislative propositions have been advised by me.

I've been talking to him and told him that, he means what else besides that. Smiley
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #19 on: July 11, 2006, 06:03:28 PM »

'Hawk'

I've been talking to him and told him that, he means what else besides that. Smiley

But that's a perfectly good answer to Dave's question.  Among the proposals crafted by Bono include privatization of the national zoo, United States Postal Service, and the Amtrak service, cuts in federal highway funding, large cuts in corporate welfare, and cuts towards rail and air subsidies.
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 11, 2006, 06:06:31 PM »

Well, before I entered office the Senate was dominated by libertarians - are you saying that even they didn't make any real cuts in spending or in taxes? Hmm...

When the libertarians dominated the Senate, most of the cuts we passed were fairly minor, and we ended up removing the balanced budget requirement through constitutional amendment.  Bono is right that there have not been any truly serious budget cuts (i.e. DanielX's chainsaw budget slash proposal never made it through).
Bono
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

« Reply #21 on: July 12, 2006, 03:13:38 AM »

When the libertarians dominated the Senate, most of the cuts we passed were fairly minor, and we ended up removing the balanced budget requirement through constitutional amendment.  Bono is right that there have not been any truly serious budget cuts (i.e. DanielX's chainsaw budget slash proposal never made it through).
[/quote

Yup. The most serious reform was actually made by this senate with the medicare reform bill.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #22 on: July 12, 2006, 11:31:22 AM »

'Hawk'

But that's a perfectly good answer to Dave's question.  Among the proposals crafted by Bono include privatization of the national zoo, United States Postal Service, and the Amtrak service, cuts in federal highway funding, large cuts in corporate welfare, and cuts towards rail and air subsidies.

It will suffice and I'll duly consider such legislative proposals as and when they reach the floor of the Senate. As a matter of fact, I've not long ago introduced some of them

'Hawk'
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2006, 09:58:25 AM »

Yup. The most serious reform was actually made by this senate with the medicare reform bill.

Thanks for the replies and I shall savor the irony. Wink
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2006, 10:26:02 AM »

I hereby open up the confirmation vote for Bono as Secretary of the Treasury. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Pages: [1] 2 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies