Confirmation Hearing: Afleitch (Secretary of State)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 09:01:35 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Elections
  Atlas Fantasy Government (Moderators: Southern Senator North Carolina Yankee, Lumine)
  Confirmation Hearing: Afleitch (Secretary of State)
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Confirmation Hearing: Afleitch (Secretary of State)  (Read 3155 times)
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix
E: 2.26, S: -4.88

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 10, 2006, 10:22:55 AM »

This hearing is called to order.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #1 on: July 10, 2006, 04:33:49 PM »

I would wholly support Afleitch for Secretary of State.  He has demonstrated on a number of occasions his excellent grasp of world affairs, and he has tough approach on foreign policy that is essential to the job.  I agree with most (if not all) his stances on foreign policy as well.  I believe, that if confirmed, he would do a spectacular job as Secretary of State.
adam
Captain Vlad
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -5.04

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #2 on: July 10, 2006, 05:37:52 PM »

There are  people who serve because the love the power, and there are people who serve because they love the nation. After examining his past record and getting to know him better, I am convinced that Afleitch is the latter. I am convinced that he loves this nation and thus will gladly vote him into a position that he so deserves. I wish him the best of luck in this process. Smiley
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2006, 05:40:20 PM »

No problems here, you have my vote Afleitch.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2006, 08:12:19 PM »

Afleitch has taken to the role of Secretary of State like a duck takes to water. He has made good progress in that capacity and I'm sure he has the ideas and the vision to become a great Secretary of State. He is a statesman in the making

As Cabinet members go, he is a pleasure to work with. Whenever, I've asked him for information, he has always been on quick to respond

Therefore, I will, wholeheartedly, be voting to re-confirm Afleitch as Secretary of State

'Hawk'
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #5 on: July 11, 2006, 10:29:59 AM »

As an ex-Secretary of State to a current Secretary of State, I am quite pleased with Afleitch's work so far and have no objections. Smiley
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2006, 11:33:41 AM »

May I ask, broadly speaking, what are your priorities for the coming term?
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #7 on: July 11, 2006, 05:32:23 PM »

May I ask, broadly speaking, what are your priorities for the coming term?

No problem, sorry for the delay in replying Smiley

When taking on such a broad portfolio as the State Department you come to realise exactly what 'state' encompasses; that is to say every single state out there, from automomous to struggling and from friend to enemy. It can be easy and simple to treat the world as one homogenous group, or to divide it into blocs which while easy is not particularly helpful to us or beneficial to them. My priorities are to take apart exactly what the State Department does investigate how it works, what it stands for and put it back together. Thats why I wish to reform aid delivery and ensure that the budget meets both our aid commintments and our embassy network. This has came from taking a long and hard look at our budget for the first time in a long while.

I want to encourage the public to take aid seriously and I want them to realise, and us to implement, a better way of delivering it to the source and not to the tinpot dictators and the larger prestige projects that do nothing for anyone but those who build and manage them. I want to see our embassy security improved, but without making our presence in the world a 'walled' presence that is offputting to world nations and to our own citizens who have actively became world citizens in order to use their time and their experience in Atlasias name.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix
E: -4.26, S: -8.35

« Reply #8 on: July 11, 2006, 06:16:50 PM »

NO!!! AFLEITCH MUST BE DEFEATED!!! ARGHHHH!!!!!!

Just Kidding.  I can't see why anyone would vote no (especially since arguably it is the least meaningful position in Atlasian government).
Ebowed
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: 4.13, S: 2.09

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #9 on: July 11, 2006, 06:26:53 PM »

(especially since arguably it is the least meaningful position in Atlasian government).

That title actually belongs to Northeast Senator. Wink
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #10 on: July 12, 2006, 11:44:44 AM »

I thank the nominee for his reply and look forward to seeing the fruits of his labours. Smiley
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #11 on: July 12, 2006, 11:57:45 AM »

How much longer should we wait until voting?
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #12 on: July 12, 2006, 12:03:37 PM »

How much longer should we wait until voting?

IIRC it's 3 days so sometime tomorrow.
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix

« Reply #13 on: July 12, 2006, 03:30:56 PM »

Yes, and you (Jerusalemcar) might want to familiarize yourself somewhat with the Senate operating procedures.  It will make your time as a Senator more effective and more enjoyable.
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 12, 2006, 06:45:21 PM »

Yes, and you (Jerusalemcar) might want to familiarize yourself somewhat with the Senate operating procedures.  It will make your time as a Senator more effective and more enjoyable.

I am not sure if that was meant as an insult, but I took it as one.  I was unsure of the time that was mandated so I asked and got a quick response while I was still able to stay on the forum and continue examining the hearings.  I consider myself already at the "somewhat familiar" stage as you phrase it and do plan to continue reading.  I really don't believe that question was out of line in any way.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: July 12, 2006, 07:06:54 PM »

I am not sure if that was meant as an insult, but I took it as one.  I was unsure of the time that was mandated so I asked and got a quick response while I was still able to stay on the forum and continue examining the hearings.  I consider myself already at the "somewhat familiar" stage as you phrase it and do plan to continue reading.  I really don't believe that question was out of line in any way.

He's just saying read the damn thing because you'll know more, make knowing Senate business easy for you and you'll have a better time.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #16 on: July 13, 2006, 10:27:37 AM »

I hereby open up the confirmation vote for Afleitch as Secretary of State. Please vote Aye, Nay or Abstain.
Virginian87
YaBB God
Political Matrix
E: -3.55, S: 2.70

« Reply #17 on: July 13, 2006, 10:28:35 AM »

Aye.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #18 on: July 13, 2006, 10:30:48 AM »

Aye
WMS
Junior Chimp

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -1.22

« Reply #19 on: July 13, 2006, 10:55:35 AM »

Aye.
Јas
Jas
Junior Chimp
« Reply #20 on: July 13, 2006, 11:30:55 AM »

Aye
jerusalemcar5
Austria

Political Matrix

« Reply #21 on: July 13, 2006, 12:30:42 PM »

Aye.
Democratic Hawk
LucysBeau
Atlas Icon
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -2.58, S: 2.43

« Reply #22 on: July 13, 2006, 01:14:07 PM »

Aye

'Hawk'
ilikeverin
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon
Timor-Leste

« Reply #23 on: July 13, 2006, 01:26:35 PM »

Yup
Q
QQQQQQ

Political Matrix

« Reply #24 on: July 13, 2006, 02:16:50 PM »

He's just saying read the damn thing because you'll know more, make knowing Senate business easy for you and you'll have a better time.

It wasn't an insult.  It was advice.  The rules are complicated and continue to trip me up even after some 7 months of serving in or working with the Senate.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies