117th House Opening Sessions Thread - January 3&4
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 09:50:41 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  117th House Opening Sessions Thread - January 3&4
« previous next »
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]
Author Topic: 117th House Opening Sessions Thread - January 3&4  (Read 6591 times)
Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #125 on: January 05, 2021, 09:57:51 AM »

What is the first real legislation the House and Senate will consider (or the committees I guess it should be said)?

If Dems win th GA runoffs, I think HR 1 from 2019 could be passed again and sent to senate. Schumer would definitely put it on the floor.
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #126 on: January 05, 2021, 10:13:40 AM »

StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #127 on: January 05, 2021, 10:20:36 AM »

Shrewd move from Pence. If he wants to run for president he disconnects himself from taking any side in the controversy of certifying results.
Penn_Quaker_Girl
Junior Chimp
India

Political Matrix
E: 0.10, S: 0.06

« Reply #128 on: January 05, 2021, 10:22:12 AM »

So procedure question. Republican congressman puts forth a motion to postpone consideration of the Rules package. Hoyer makes a motion to table the motion to postpone consideration. Tabling in the American context means to suspend indefinitely. Why don't they just have a vote and vote it down since the Democrats have the votes. What's the difference between defeating the motion and tabling the motion since both require a vote and the postponement motion becomes moot anyway once the rules package resolution has passed?

I've always taken it as more of showmanship than anything, but I'd be curious myself. 
Gass3268
Moderators
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #129 on: January 05, 2021, 10:32:38 AM »
« Edited: January 05, 2021, 10:36:05 AM by Gass3268 »

Sounds like Grassley was wrong:

Sir Mohamed
MohamedChalid
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #130 on: January 05, 2021, 10:34:39 AM »

Mr. Pence is a coward. He either should have presided over the final vote count or resign as VP in protest.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #131 on: January 05, 2021, 10:36:04 AM »

Mr. Pence is a coward. He either should have presided over the final vote count or resign as VP in protest.

Most elected politicians are cowards.
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #132 on: January 06, 2021, 12:21:26 AM »

I'm now eager to see how the Georgia results color tomorrow's performance. I'm sure for the true believers this is just another piece of 'evidence,' but for others their decision to back the charade might have been  done with potential electoral benefits in mind. There's now evidence that indulging the president hurt GOP turnout, but they can't turn this ship around in 12 hours even if they might want to. Might lead to a interesting confrontation tomorrow.
StateBoiler
fe234
YaBB God

« Reply #133 on: January 06, 2021, 07:56:43 AM »

So procedure question. Republican congressman puts forth a motion to postpone consideration of the Rules package. Hoyer makes a motion to table the motion to postpone consideration. Tabling in the American context means to suspend indefinitely. Why don't they just have a vote and vote it down since the Democrats have the votes. What's the difference between defeating the motion and tabling the motion since both require a vote and the postponement motion becomes moot anyway once the rules package resolution has passed?

Repeating question.
Pages: 1 2 3 4 5 [6]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies