Where did Odin come from? (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 05:28:22 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Discussion
  Religion & Philosophy (Moderator: Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.)
  Where did Odin come from? (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Where did Odin come from?  (Read 1011 times)
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« on: January 02, 2021, 05:59:43 PM »

Odin was a wanderer; he sought knowledge. He's not a creator.
afleitch
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #1 on: January 02, 2021, 06:27:59 PM »

Odin was a wanderer; he sought knowledge. He's not a creator.
But Odin according to the mythology created mankind from sticks he found on a beach leading to his name of “Allfather” so he definitely is the creator deity of Norse/Germanic mythology. Which again is weird that unlike practically every other creator deity he has no association with the sky, sun, or thunder. Also you brought up another point I wanted to touch on which is how weirdly contradicting Odin is. One hand he is depicted either as a war god all dressed up in armor or on the other hand as an old wanderer. It is such a weird clash of ideas and combined with lack of similarity to other creator deities it really is fascinating to think of why the  Germanic and Norse people developed him as such

I should have said Creator rather than creator; I agree it's clear he crafted but isn't fully the 'creator of everything' in the traditional foundation sense.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies