East of the Merrimack (Gameplay Thread) (user search)
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 25, 2024, 09:18:09 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Forum Community
  Election and History Games (Moderator: Dereich)
  East of the Merrimack (Gameplay Thread) (search mode)
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: East of the Merrimack (Gameplay Thread)  (Read 11785 times)
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« on: December 31, 2020, 04:52:47 AM »
« edited: December 31, 2020, 05:46:07 AM by Alcibiades »

Bill Fiske - Democrat for Congress

June 2004: Host biennial fundraising dinner for New Hampshire Democratic candidates and candidly float the prospect of a run for NH-01 when the seats becomes open with attendees.
16 May 2005: Create exploratory committee.
18 May: Hire Laura Green, as staffer with whom he worked on the Shaheen gubernatorial campaigns, as campaign manager.
25 May - 3 June: Host a series of meetings with Carroll County Democrats, including selectmen and the chief of the county party, to try to start building a local base of support.
5 June: File to run for Congress
7 June: Announcement speech on the steps of Conway Town Hall:
I truly believe we are all privileged enough to live in the greatest congressional district in the country. It’s what drew me here all these years ago, and what has led me into a 20-year long career serving the citizens of this wonderful town. You deserve a representative who fights for what makes this district special, and for what will make it even better. From the Seacoast to Lake Winnepesaukee to Mount Washington whose shadow we stand in today, our district is blessed with natural beauty, which we all enjoy, and upon which many of us rely directly or indirectly for our livelihood. Sadly, it is no secret that the current administration, and the New Hampshire Republicans who support it, have shown contempt for the environment, but I, if I have the privilege of serving as your Congressman, will always be its voice and champion in Washington. I’ve had a hand in running this town’s public schools in one form or another since 1987, and I’ve seen first-hand the impact good quality education can have on kids’ lives, and I’ll fight for every last cent in federal funding for our district’s schools. I believe that no-one should go without healthcare because they can’t afford it. And I’ll try my hardest to end this awful war we find ourselves in in Iraq, and bring the sons and daughters of New Hampshire back home before any more tragically lose their lives.
9 June: Town Hall in Dover
12 June: Meet with Fmr. Gov. Jeanne Shaheen to tentatively float a possible endorsement.
17 June: Interview with the Conway Daily Sun:
Why should you, out of all the possible Democrats, be this district’s Congressman?
I believe that my two decades’ involvement in local government gives me a unique perspective on the issues facing ordinary people, and how imaginative solutions by government can have a real impact on their lives. Living in a small town has really allowed me to get to know my constituents and neighbours on a personal level, and understand what they want out of government. As one of the only Democrats in the primary field from a small town, I think I have a unique understanding of the rural and environmental concerns which are so important to this district.
19 June: Meet with the New Hampshire Farm Bureau Federation to discuss rural and agricultural issues.
22 June: Town Hall in Laconia
24 June: Give a speech to a meeting of the College Democrats at the University of New Hampshire in Durham.
27 June: Town Hall in Manchester
I do not believe that CAFTA is good for Americans, and I do not believe it is good for the people of the Dominican Republic and Central America. It will harm our exporters and farmers here in New Hampshire, and will lead to increased prices for life-saving drugs in Central America. This is sadly yet another example of corporate concerns overriding those of ordinary people. As your representative, I will always put you before big business.
28 June: Fundraiser at the North Conway Grand Hotel
30 June: Meet with Environment New Hampshire, discuss their agenda and my ideas for environmental protection legislation.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2021, 06:38:41 PM »
« Edited: January 10, 2021, 04:57:03 AM by Alcibiades »

A voice for your community in Washington
July-August 2005 Schedule

2 July: Visit Rochester, meet and greet voters, including registering those who show interest in the campaign to be contacted further.
4 July: Give remarks at the Conway Independence Day parade.
7 July:
11 July: Town Hall at Dover High School:
Fighting for quality public education has been a passion of mine for 20 years. My first involvement in politics was as a member of my local school board. My 3 kids have gone through New Hampshire public schools from 1st grade to 12th grade, and I understand how important it is for parents to know their children are properly developing intellectually and socially in a good school, but more importantly, how vital it is for the kids themselves. Education is the great leveller; the single greatest tool we have to increase social mobility. As your congressman, I will fight for the most important reform that has been missing from the the current administration’s education policy: more funding. It is no good to set ambitious targets for improving school standards if there is no means by which to do it. And effective, targeted funding, focusing on schools in the communities which need federal dollars the most. I’ll work to scale back standardised testing which turns education into a chore, and give teachers, who know their children best, the freedom to implement a curriculum which inspires a life-long love of learning.
15 July: Open a new bike trail in Conway, and participate in a charity race to celebrate its inauguration.
18 July: Fundraiser in Manchester.
22-23 July: Barnstorm Dover, visiting local businesses and canvassing residents.
27 July: Visit Lake Winnipesuakee, give speech about the importance of the tourism industry to the district.
31 July: Host a party for local Democrats in Carroll County at house in Conway, discuss fundraising and strategy, as well as gauging support.

3 August: Visit distillery in Tamworth, offer praise for start-ups in New Hampshire. Promise to fight corporate interests in Washington to offer support for small businesses ahead of large corporations.
7 August: Help a community-led beach litter-pick in Rye and promise to support increased protections for scenic areas.
9 August: Meet and greet in Derry.
14 August: Visit organic family farm in Jackson:
I am the voice for rural New Hampshire in this election. I’ve lived half my life around ordinary, hard-working folks like the wonderful Cobb family here, and I understand both the challenges and immense joys of rural and small town life. To protect this way of life that so many enjoy in this district, and to ensure it continues to thrive well into the 21st Century, we need a strong, dynamic rural economy, with innovative ideas like sustainable and organic agriculture.
19 August: Fundraiser in Laconia.
22 August: Town Hall in Ossipee.
25 August: Interview with New Hampshire Public Radio:
You’ve been quite an outspoken opponent of the war in Iraq. Why’s that?
You know, I think what’s so tragic about this war is how inevitable the situation we now find ourselves in is. One of my first political involvements was marching against the Vietnam War, and it’s maddening to see how we’ve allowed history to repeat itself in this way. Quite frankly, this administration has failed our brave men and women in uniform and their families, and it’s time to bring them back home and out of harm’s way in pursuit of a very poorly thought-out goal which is bringing great distress to the Iraqi people.
29 August: Town hall in Brentwood.
30 August: Comments on Hurricane Katrina:
First and foremost, my sincerest sympathies to all those who have been affected by this terrible tragedy, whether they have lost their homes or their loved ones. As we start to see more frequent and extreme weather events such as this, I think it underscores the urgent need for action on climate change and transitioning away from our dependence on fossil fuels.
Do you have any comment on the response to the hurricane?
There is no doubt that the authorities have failed the people of Louisiana and Mississippi, and there needs to be a urgent inquiry into what went wrong, and I think it has underscored the sad fact that racial disparities still play ahuge part in how receptive the government is to your needs in the United States. I don’t want to play politics with this tragedy, but I think people can see for themselves what the response says about President Bush and his administration; it’s been clear for a while that they are not exactly very concerned with the plight of the most vulnerable in our society.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #2 on: January 10, 2021, 06:57:09 PM »

September 2005 Schedule

2 September: Canvass in Jackson
6 September: Speak to seniors in Manchester
9 September: Visit the farmer’s market in Portsmouth. Talk to vendors and suppliers about the importance of small business and locally sourced produce, pledging to support family-owned farms over agribusiness.
11 September: Deliver remarks at the annual 9/11 memorial service in Schouler Park, North Conway:
Today we gather to remember the innocent people and the heroic first responders who lost their lives on that terrible day, the moms and dads and sisters and brothers who left for work on what they thought was just an ordinary Tuesday, and never came back home. Four years have now passed, but the pain endures, and they remain in our hearts, as they will forever. And on this anniversary, I think it is important to renew our commitment to that which the terrorists sought to take away from us: our cherished American civil liberties.
14 September: Town Hall in Rochester
16 September: Campaign and recruit volunteers on the campus of the University of New Hampshire in Durham, emphasising my environmentalism, support for reducing the burden of college tuition, anti-war stance, and liberal social positions.
19 September: Meet with the state branch of the Sierra Club, to highlight my environmental record and push for an endorsement.
22 September: Town Hall in Conway:
Do you believe that marriage is between a man and a woman?
I appreciate that some folks might feel a little uncomfortable with this stance, but I support marriage equality for same-sex couples. I know many wonderful, loving gay and lesbian couples, and I think it’s desperately unfair to deny them the opportunity to affirm that love through the institution of marriage. If a church feels that that goes against their beliefs, it should be their right to refuse to sanction same-sex marriages, but at the same time, I feel that it’s a violation of religious liberty to not allow churches such as my own, the United Church of Christ, which recently affirmed its support for marriage equality, to perform them if they wish to. I think it’s time that we in New Hampshire followed our friends and neighbours in Massachusetts and legalised same-sex marriages. I will also oppose any efforts to pass a federal amendment outlawing same-sex marriage, which would be a gross violation of states’ rights.
24 September: Visit the Amoskeag Hydropower Plant in New Hampshire and affirm my support for federal funding for renewable energy.
28 September: Attend a conference for New Hampshire Democrats in local government, lobby fellow attendees for support.
30 September: Go boating on Lake Winnipesaukee
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2021, 06:53:50 PM »
« Edited: January 29, 2021, 06:24:58 PM by Alcibiades »

October-November 2005 Schedule

3 October: Town Hall in Rochester
7 October: Give a talk about the role of government and private enterprise working together to combat climate change.
10 October: Roundtable discussion about affordable healthcare solutions with doctors and patients: argue for a public options.
14 October: Canvass in Dover
16 October: Meet with the NEA-NH teachers’ union, and push for an endorsement, highlighting my championing of public education throughout my campaign.
19 October: Town Hall in Manchester
23 October: Fundraiser in Portsmouth
26 October: Statement on the Iraq War:
Today marks a tragic milestone in the Iraq War. 2000 lives lost, each of them a person who leaves behind a gaping hole in their family. One death more is unacceptable, and we must get our brave men and women home as soon as possible, and instead let the people of Iraq forge their own path.
28 October:
Reporter: Bill, have you heard that Scooter Libby’s just resigned?
No, I hadn’t, but it’s about time. This whole episode has been disgraceful, especially coming from a man who no doubt claims to support those who serve our country, and it’s shameful that Vice President Cheney is still standing by him.
31 October: Hand out sweets to trick-or-treaters in Conway.

2 November: Talk to fishermen in Rye
6 November: Attend a League of Conservation Voters dinner.
8 November: Fundraiser in Dover
12 November: Canvass in Ossipee
14 November: Discussion in Manchester about revitalising postindustrial towns and cities
Manchester has led the nation in transitioning from an old mill town to a thriving 21st century city. But I know many small towns in New Hampshire are still hurting from the decline of traditional industries, and politicians in Washington DC are all to quick to write of such places as beyond help. However, I hear the hopes and dreams of the residents of these towns, and I say I will not forget you. There is no simple solution, but we can do a lot more to help: give support to small businesses, expand educational opportunities, revitalise downtowns and incentivise companies to move jobs there.
17 November: Town Hall in Exeter
20 November: Canvass in Jackson
24 November: Thanksgiving with my family in Conway
28 November: Speak to small business owners in Dover

Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #4 on: January 29, 2021, 08:49:44 AM »

Bill Fiske Debate Answers

Opening Statement
Good evening. I would also like to extend my thanks to WENH, PBS and the Union Leader for agreeing to host this debate tonight. 30 years ago, I moved to New Hampshire because I wanted a great place to raise a family, where the natural beauty is only matched by the warmth of the people. And I wasn’t disappointed. I was desperate to ensure that others could enjoy the same benefits our wonderful state has offered my family and me, so I have dedicated a large part of my career to local government service, from school board member to selectman to town manager. In Conway, we’ve strengthened public schools, delivered budget surpluses year on year which demonstrate that we shouldn’t have to choose between investment in our communities and fiscal responsibility, and have seen small businesses go from strength to strength. Now I want to bring these same results to bear as your representative for New Hampshire’s 1st Congressional District. Unfortunately our state’s Republican federal representation has been more interested in cozying up to the Bush’s administration’s failed ideological agenda. I will focus on common-sense solutions to the great issues of our time: education, healthcare, the budget and the environment, not culture war posturing or partisan grandstanding, and I recognise that the impact of all of policy is ultimately felt at the local level, and I will always put our communities first. Thank you.

How would you reform the American healthcare system?
I believe that every American should have access to healthcare. Period. Our Constitution guarantees the right to life, liberty and the pursuit of happiness, a guarantee which cannot be realised for many citizens until we can provide them with health insurance. That’s why I support a public option for health insurance. This will enable uninsured and less fortunate Americans to get affordable, quality healthcare courtesy of the government, regardless of pre-existing conditions, while you are completely free to keep your existing private insurance plan if it works for you. This is the kind of common-sense solution which makes government work for the people it is supposed to and has a real impact upon people’s lives, which I will fight for in Washington. And of course I will protect Medicare and Medicaid from ever being watered down.

What is the biggest issue facing Granite Staters today?
I have already mentioned the key issue of healthcare, and talking to voters in communities throughout our district, it is clear to me that another top priority is education. My children are products of New Hampshire public schools, and through my service on Conway’s school board, I have seen the vital role that public education plays in our communities’ lives and expanding opportunity. Unfortunately, it is all too often ignored. We need more funding, especially for less affluent school districts, and to recognise teachers for the work they do by giving them the pay they deserve. At the same time, we should bring back joy to the classroom by reducing teaching to the test. The other vital issue is our environment. Scientists are clear that if we do not start reducing our dependency on fossil fuels, global warming will pose a grave danger to the inhabitability of our planet. New Hampshire proves that the choice between protecting our environment and growing the economy is a false dichotomy; thousands of jobs in the Granite State rely upon tourists drawn by our natural beauty, which I have worked to protect in Conway, and the expansion of green energy will create thousands more.

Do you think that the Central American Free Trade Agreement will be good for New Hampshire jobs?
On balance, I do not, as I’ve made clear in my previous statements. I believe it will hurt our farmers by making exporting more difficult, as well as hurting blue-collar jobs, such as the those in the textiles industry and small manufacturing, by weakening labour standards. In addition, CAFTA has not been accompanied by any of the jobs retraining programmes one might usually expect with such a trade deal. Furthermore, human rights and environmental groups have expressed grave concerns about its impact on Central America. I am not opposed to free trade, but it has to first and foremost be fair trade, and unfortunately I think the concerns of big businesses won out over those of ordinary people with regards to CAFTA.

Rebuttal to Lauren Winters
You say that you support natural gas as a solution to climate change. While it is cleaner than coal and oil, the uncomfortable truth is that natural gas is still a fossil fuel which releases greenhouse gases into the atmosphere. I think that if we want to show real leadership on climate change, we have to be honest that increasing fossil fuel usage in any way is irresponsible, and we must put all our effort into transitioning to renewable energy, and stop taking half-hearted measures like the one you propose. Furthermore, creating jobs in fossil fuels like natural gas is bound to not end well, as these jobs will inevitably in a few decades be neither economically nor environmentally sustainable, as we have already seen with coal, and we should instead focus on expanding the green energy sector, which provides long-term employment prospects in an industry whose future is secure.

Closing Statement
I am running for Congress because I care deeply about the communities of New Hampshire’s 1st District. Sadly, there has been a trend in recent years in Washington towards performative politics; style over substance. In local government, this is not an option available to us. We have to deliver real concrete results, or our constituents will rightfully kick us out of the job. I want to take this approach to Washington, to craft legislation to give every American access to healthcare, revitalise our infrastructure and struggling downtowns, strengthen public education, end the war in Iraq, and protect the environment. We need someone who will stand up to the Bush administration, not be a yes-man for its disastrous right-wing agenda. I am not independently wealthy, or a DNC insider. I am simply motivated by a burning desire to keep our great state moving forward, make it inclusive for everyone, and represent all the people of this wonderful district. If this approach to governance appeals to you, please consider lending your vote to me in next year’s Democratic primary election. Thank you, good night, and God bless you.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #5 on: January 29, 2021, 06:28:56 PM »

December 2005 Schedule

1 December: Private lunch with Fmr. Gov. Shaheen
3 December: Deliver talk to campaign volunteers about canvassing strategy:
The first thing to remember is to always be polite, and to not let yourself be dragged into long debates or try to persuade voters who are clearly not open to voting for us. In terms of the campaign’s key messages, be responsive to the voters’ key concerns, whether those are the budget, education, healthcare, Iraq or the environment, and emphasises that I am a normal citizen just like them who wants to deliver for their communities and practical needs. I know many of you are very idealistic people; that is not meant as an insult, in fact I think it’s wonderful. But just bear in mind that the average voter, even in primaries, is not particularly ideological and is more focussed on bread-and-butter issues.
6 December: Deliver a talk to students at Kennett High School’s careers fair about jobs, and getting involved, in government.
7 December: Meet with hospitality and tourism workers in Jackson and North Conway
9 December: Canvas in Laconia
11 December: Town Hall in Goffstown
13-14 December: Volunteer at a local soup kitchen
17 December: Fundraiser in Manchester
20 December: Go skiing with my family in North Conway
24-27 December: Time off for Christmas
29 December: Town Hall in Conway
31 December: Host New Year’s Eve party
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 06:35:11 PM »
« Edited: February 11, 2021, 11:36:16 AM by Alcibiades »

January 2006 Schedule

4 January: Town Hall in Exeter
7 January: Accept endorsement from the NEA-NH:
Thank you. It is a great honour for me to accept this endorsement, and I feel humbled by this vote of confidence by our state’s hardworking teachers. I reaffirm my pledge to you that I will always put public education first, and fight for more and fairer funding, as well as reducing the focus on standardised testing. Education is, if done right, the great leveller in society, the tool which can enable young people to pursue their dreams from disadvantaged backgrounds. It is a crucial part of the American Dream, and politicians’ neglect of it is a major reason why that dream now seems out of reach for too many. And it is because our kids matter so much, that our teachers, in whose hands we entrust the next generation, also do, and deserve to be treated with the respect and the pay they deserve for their essential role.
11 January: Attend charity dinner for local children’s charities in Conway
14 January: Canvass in Manchester
17 January: Town Hall in Laconia
18 January: Fundraiser in Portsmouth
22 January: Meet with Carroll County state legislators to discuss investment in the region
24 January: Town Hall in Hampton
27 January: Meet with veterans with PTSD, discuss the need for greater government support:
I have been greatly touched by stories I have heard from some of the veterans I have spoken with today. It is quite simply disgraceful that our government asks these men and women to be prepared to make the ultimate sacrifice, and then all too often offers them next to nothing in return once they have been discharged, particularly with regards to their mental health. I think it is common sense to divert some of the funds unnecessarily spent on our bloated defence budget to supporting our veterans. As a nation, we owe it to them.
31 January: Canvass in Rochester
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #7 on: February 15, 2021, 03:19:17 PM »

February-March 2006 Schedule

2 February: Attend an adult literacy class in Manchester
4 February: Reopen Cannon Mountain cablecar after repairs
6 February: Appear with Mayor Steve Marchand in Portsmouth to accept his endorsement:
Marchand: It is my great pleasure to introduce my good friend, and New Hampshire’s First District’s next representative, Bill Fiske! I’ve known Bill for several years now, and I know that he’s a no-nonsense champion for ordinary people who’ll bring his experience from local government to deliver results in Washington. He’ll do a great job for the people of Portsmouth and the whole district.
Fiske: Thank you very much for those kind words, Steve. Steve and I share a common governing philosophy, that elected officials should be judged by their actions, not their fancy rhetoric, and it’s a great honour to have the endorsement of one of this country’s best young mayors. My promise to you, the people of Portsmouth, is that I will never lose sight of whom I serve. I will fight for healthcare for all who need it, for better public schools, and for new infrastructure. I believe, if done right, these programmes will more than pay for themselves.
9 February: Town Hall in Laconia
13 February: Canvass in Somersworth
15 February: Fundraiser in Dover
18 February: Interview with The Laconia Daily Sun
A lot of politicians say that they will bring a cleaner, fresher style to Washington, yet many simply prove to be typical career politicians? Why will you be different?
I understand why many voters have this concern, and quite frankly, it’s totally justified when you look at many of the people elected to office. What I say to them, to you, is look at my record. I’ve spent two decades in local government, a level of government from which far too few federal politicians are drawn. I haven’t spent this time playing politics, because I can’t. I have real, solid achievements, driven by a genuine passion for helping my constituents - if you’re in local government, it’s not because you’re looking to make a lot of money! I promise not to lose those values if I go to Washington.
22 February: Visit Great Bay National Wildlife Refuge; pledge support for conservation and and endangered species legislation.
25 February: Town Hall in Pinardville
28 February: Canvass in Barrington

2 March: Open new community centre in Conway:
I am very proud to open this centre, which will serve as a hub and support centre for everyone in our community, but particularly our most vulnerable youth and adults. This is yet another example of we in Conway showing that meaningful investment in public services and fiscal responsibility, as we have delivered another budget surplus, are not mutually exclusive, and indeed reinforce each other. This is the kind of leadership I will bring to Washington if I have the honour of being chosen as your US Representative.
5 March: Canvass in Wolfeboro
9 March: Present annual award for most inspiring New Hampshire teacher
12 March: Town Hall in Epping
16 March: Fundraiser in Manchester
17-18 March: Volunteer at a food bank in Portsmouth
21 March: Canvass in Ossipee
24 March: Visit The Palace Theatre in Manchester, give speech about support for increased arts funding:
The arts play such a vital role in our communities. They provide employment and generate revenue, but more importantly, they enrich everyone’s lives and bring joy to them. Unfortunately, they are all to easy a target for politicians railing against wasteful spending, who claim that they are of little utility. I recognise that quite the opposite is true, and too many of our theatres and galleries are barely surviving, so I will work towards increased funding for the arts if I am elected.
27 March: Town Hall in Jackson
30 March: Canvass in Rochester

Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #8 on: February 16, 2021, 06:24:38 PM »

April 2006 Schedule

2 April: Voter registration drive at the University of New Hampshire
5 April: Town Hall in Rochester
7 April: Canvass in Derry
10 April: Meet with a group of uninsured people in Manchester to discuss healthcare and a public option.
14 April: Town Hall in Tamworth:
Do you believe that gerrymandering is a serious problem?
I absolutely do. It is a scourge on our democracy which disenfranchises voters and empowers party hacks. Fortunately it is not too bad as of the moment in New Hampshire, and both of our districts our competitive, which rightfully keeps politicos like me on our toes, but it presents a major threat nationwide to representative self-government. Congress has the power to regulate its own elections federally, so I will try to pass a bill mandating nonpartisan redistricting commissions in every state.
17 April: Fundraiser in Portsmouth with Mayor Marchand
20 April: Meet with the New Hampshire branch of the Human Rights Campaign, tout support of same-sex marriage to push for an endorsement.
22 April: Canvass in Exeter
25 April: Town Hall in Laconia
27 April: Volunteer litter-picking in Conway
30 April: Canvass in Dover
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #9 on: March 01, 2021, 06:25:25 PM »

May-June 2006 Schedule

2 May: Town Hall in Newmarket
5 May: Take part in a debate at the University of New Hampshire, arguing for raising the minimum wage:
We need to take action to safeguard the dignity of work and curb the increasingly grotesque levels of inequality in this country. Republicans claim that welfare should be cut to encourage people to work, but what’s the point if work doesn’t pay? The truth is that, in 2006, $5.25 an hour is nowhere near enough to pay for the basic standard of living that every American deserves, let alone raise a family. I believe a number closer to $8 strikes a fairer balance between these considerations and the needs of businesses.
7 May: Town Hall in Londonderry
10 May: Canvass in Meredith
12 May: Visit refugee resettlement site in Laconia
16 May: Accept endorsement from the Human Rights Campaign:
It is a great honour to accept this endorsement. Gay and lesbian people are of equal worth to anyone else, and that means that they ought to have the same rights in employment protections and marriage as everyone else. My message to those who continue to oppose progress in these fields is simple: stop playing politics with real people’s lives.
18 May: Rally in Manchester
21 May: Accept endorsement from the Business and Industry Association
First of all, my deepest gratitude for this very kind endorsement. As your representative, the many wonderful businesses of New Hampshire will always be at the front of my mind, as ultimately businesses are not mere organisations, but represent the livelihoods, hopes and dreams of countless real people. A particular priority for me will be removing red tape and increasing targeted funding to encourage innovation by businesses, especially small businesses.
24 May: Canvass in Portsmouth
28 May: Fundraiser in Manchester
30 May: Town Hall in Raymond

2 June: Open new summer camp facilities in Conway
4 June: Speech in Durham on the Iraq War
My message on this awful war is simple: a vote for Bill Fiske is a vote to end American involvement in Iraq. We need to efficiently transfer responsibility for Iraq’s security to the Iraqis themselves, while upholding our obligations to them through using diplomacy to push for greater democratisation. We then need to turn our attention to holding the Bush administration accountable for the terrible manner in which it has misled the American people, from manipulated intelligence to shameless corruption in handing out no-bid contracts to their buddies in big oil.
7 June: Rally in Manchester
9 June: Attend fundraiser for the Wildlife Heritage Foundation of New Hampshire
12 June: Town Hall in Hampton
15 June: Fundraiser in Portsmouth
17 June: Older voters’ forum in Exeter
My pledge to you today is this: I will always oppose any attempt to weaken Medicare or Social Security. The Bush administration's plan to privatise the latter is one of the most awful proposals of recent times, which would represent a wholesale betrayal by the government towards senior citizens and all Americans, to whom Social Security is a foundational part of the government’s obligations.
19 June: Take part in Juneteenth celebrations in Portsmouth.
22 June: Talk to patients and their families at the Memorial Hospital in Conway
24 June: Canvass in Rochester
28 June: Attend the New Hampshire Bar Association’s annual meeting, discuss support for the campaign with other politically active lawyers.
30 June: Accept endorsement from the New Hampshire Lodging and Restaurant Association:
As we enter another busy summer vacation season, we are reminded of the immense contribution of the hospitality industry to New Hampshire’s economy; it truly is the lifeblood of so many towns and areas, and an industry with tremendous growth potential. Coming from a resort town, no candidate appreciates this more than me, and I will always be a voice for Granite State hospitality in Washington, and put the small and family-run businesses which make up most of this industry above mega-corporations, for instance by clamping down on tax avoidance by them and using the money saved to give tax breaks and credits to small hospitality businesses.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #10 on: March 05, 2021, 07:24:19 PM »

July-August 2006 Schedule

2 July: Canvass in Dover
4 July: Take part in Conway Independence Day parade, followed by family barbecue
7 July: Rally and meet and greet supporters in Conway
10 July: Fundraiser in Durham
12 July: Talk in Manchester about the importance of investment in municipal public transport systems:
The benefits of expanding public transport, particularly at the local level, are manifold and will more than provide return on investment. It will make getting around cheaper and easier, increase air quality, combat global warming, ease congestion, and reduce dependence on foreign energy sources. This is definitely something the federal government should be incentivising.
15 July: Canvass in Laconia
18 July: Town hall in Seabrook
20 July: Meet with gay rights activists in Manchester
23 July: Young voters’ town hall in Portsmouth:
What will you do to reduce the cost of college?
First of all, I absolutely agree that this is a problem which urgently needs combatting. My plan would involve slashing interest rates on student loans, and significantly increasing aid to less well-off students. Nobody should be denied a college education because they cannot afford it. At the same time, we need to recognise that university is not for everyone, but sadly we do not provide enough alternative opportunities for young people at the moment. To that end, I would like to see an expansion of trade schools and vocational education, to give America the skilled workforce and competitive manufacturing sector it needs.
26 July: Help to install solar panels on the Conway Town Hall
28 July: Fundraiser in Conway
30 July: Canvass in Exeter

1 August: Town Hall in South Hookset
3 August: Speech on broadband in Rochester:
In today’s world, having access to high-quality broadband is fast becoming just as important as having electricity or a telephone, and extensive, up-to-date telecommunications infrastructure is what will drive America’s future economic growth. This has to be one of tue government’s number one investment priorities, especially to close the rural-urban divide by levelling up the broadband of rural areas, which are currently underserved.
6 August: Canvass in Hampton
8 August: Fundraiser in Portsmouth
11 August: Canvass in Jackson
14 August: Town Hall in Wolfeboro
17 August: Meet with tech start-up founders in Manchester
19 August: Rally in Portsmouth with Mayor Marchand
21 August: Meet with families of soldiers killed in Iraq
24 August: Interview with WEVO:
Is our political system dysfunctional, and if so, how should it be fixed?
I think there is a large degree of dysfunction in Washington today, yes. There are no easy answers, and I’m not going to pretend that I, as one of 435 representatives, will be able to fix it on my own, but I certainly think there are several things which can be done to make things better. First, what I would term clever bipartisanship. We Democrats should be willing to work across the aisle with Republicans, but not let them play games with us or take advantage of this extending a hand. As a town manager, I will bring the same attitude of pragmatic results-oriented legislating, not ideological grandstanding, to Washington. Secondly, stricter regulations around lobbying and campaign finance so that politicians focus on their constituents above special interests. I for one can promise to the people of this district that I will never enter lobbying.
26 August: Canvass in Freedom
28 August: Visit daycare in Dover, discuss need for affordable childcare and more generous maternity leave
31 August: Town Hall in Farmington
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #11 on: March 07, 2021, 05:00:38 PM »

Bill Fiske Debate Answers

Opening Statement
Good evening. America and New Hampshire deserve better. 6 years of the Republicans’ disastrous hard right agenda has left us mired in a terrible war, with more and more people uninsured, inequality increasing, and a plan to rip up Social Security as we know it. We can, and we must, do better. As your representative, I will pursue a pragmatic progressive agenda, fighting for a public option for health insurance, protecting the vital social programmes upon which many Granite Staters young and old depend, preserving our natural beauty, and leaving behind a planet fit for our kids and grandkids to flourish in. I will work across party lines where necessary, but I will not fall for Republican ploys to obstruct the policies which the people of New Hampshire want and need. With two decades’ worth of experience in the largely unglamorous, but crucial, world of local government, I know how to get things done. I’m not out to enrich myself, play ideological games, or secure a plush job in corporate lobbying, but to help the wonderful people of this district’s communities.

Should President Bush be impeached?
I know that voters rightfully hate it when candidates don’t give a direct answer, but I have to honestly say that I’m not able to reach a judgement on this question at this time. The impeachment process involves members of Congress carefully reviewing painstakingly-collected evidence, and we have not had an investigation into the President’s activities to glean such evidence yet. However, what I can say is that between the manipulation of evidence pertaining to Saddam Hussein’s now apparently nonexistent WMDs, no-bid contracts for Iraqi oil given to Halliburton, of which Vice President Cheney was Chief Executive, and the disgraceful Plame Affair, it is certainly far from inconceivable that the President has committed impeachable offences. Nonetheless, impeachment is a process which ought to be reserved for only the most grave of presidential misdeeds, and we must be careful not to turn it into a tool for petty partisan vengeance, as the Republicans did against President Clinton. But I’m not ruling anything out, and the current administration certainly seems to me to be unusually corrupt and deceitful.

How would you bring more jobs to New Hampshire?
I think there are a number of things we should be doing. First of all, get smarter in our trade agreements. At its best, free and fair trade can create jobs for all nations concerned, but our current agreements have been written with the interests of big corporations, which want to ship American jobs overseas to cheaper labour markets, prioritised over those of ordinary people in New Hampshire. Secondly, create an environment conducive for the success of small businesses, which are some of our greatest potential job creators, by investing in grants which encourage innovation and cutting unnecessarily burdensome regulations and sections of the tax code, often supported by big businesses, which can afford to hire lawyers and advisors to handle them, at the expense of small businesses. Finally, expand vocational education, trade schools and apprenticeships, so that workers have the skills they need to succeed, and stop telling kids that college and a white collar job is the only path to success in life.

You’ve gotten endorsed by the largest teachers’ union in New Hampshire. What’s your plan for education?
We need to completely rethink the way which we fund schools. The property tax method is unreliable and grossly unfair, leaving schools in poorer and more rural areas severely disadvantaged. We need the federal government to provide the support for states to introduce intelligent funding formulae which send the money where it is most needed. Moving to the classroom level, which is where learning actually takes place and thus our main focus must be, we have to trust teachers more. Most are fantastic professionals with a real flair for their job, and we need to let them get on with teaching and inspiring kids, not sucking the joy out of education with laborious teaching to standardised tests. Nonetheless, most teachers I talk to also recognise the need for some core curriculum content to ensure that all kids are learning what they need to, but with a good degree of flexibility. We also need to make sure that teachers are recruited and retained by paying them fairly for their vital work.

Rebuttal to Jennifer Annika
With all due respect, you haven’t answered the question on jobs at all. Just a lot of rhetoric, and no actual, concrete detail on how you would create jobs for Granite Staters. Voters want policy, not platitudes, and I promise that that is what I will focus on as your Representative.

Closing Statement
The people of New Hampshire’s 1st District rightfully demand more from their elected representatives than the same old lip service to constituents’ needs, followed by cosying up to special interests and exacerbating partisan gridlock. I promise to you that I will be a different kind of politician, working with my colleagues to achieve an ambitious, yet common sense agenda, which will make a real difference to people’s lives. From healthcare, to education, to the environment, we have got so much to do to realise the American Dream for every resident of the 1st District, and I will not waste any time on Washington insider hijinks. And you don’t have to take my word for it - just look at my record of achievement in my town of Conway. If you want pragmatic, transformative leadership grounded in New Hampshire communities which you can trust over the usual mix of incompetence and corporate connections, I humbly request your vote for the Democratic nomination for New Hampshire’s First District’s Representative.
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix

P P
« Reply #12 on: March 16, 2021, 05:45:56 PM »

1-12 September 2006 Schedule

1 September: Final voter registration and persuasion drive at UNH as the new academic year starts
2 September: Accept endorsement from the League of Conservation Voters:
Some people try to draw the false dichotomy of, well, it’s a choice between either saving our planet or growing our economy. The truth is that the latter, in the long-term, is dependent on the former. If I’m elected, I’ll not only fight to protect more land, conserve wildlife, reduce carbon emissions and clean up our oceans, but I’ll lead the way in showing the enormous job creation potential in the burgeoning green energy sector, and by ensuring that our natural landscapes remain fit for tourism.
3 September: Canvass in Portsmouth
4 September: Attend Labor Day parade, followed by rally in Dover
5 September: Canvass in Northern Carroll County
6 September: Final Town Hall in Laconia
7 September: Canvass in Exeter and meet with small businesspeople
8 September: Rally in Manchester:
It’s past time that we, as a country, had a reckoning as to why our politicians want to hold office. The recent scandals in Washington suggest to me that too many are in it for pure personal profit, and possess none of the qualities required of legislators. We need to transform the casual culture of lobbying and corporate influence which pervades Washington. When it comes to healthcare, I’ll fight for affordable care for all, and I won’t take my orders from the insurance lobby. On the environment, I’ll fight to leave a planet fit for our kids, not bend the knee to big oil. My only boss will be you, the people of New Hampshire’s First District.
9 September: Address group of public school teachers and canvass in Rochester
10 September: Canvass in Manchester
11 September: Attend 9/11 memorial service in Schouler Park, North Conway
12 September: Rally with Steve Marchand and Warren Rudman in Portsmouth:
I’m honoured to share a stage today with two fine public servants, both fine sons of New Hampshire, not out-of-state big partisan players. It just so happens that one of them happens to be a Democrat, and one a Republican. The damage that President Bush and his hard-right cabal are wreaking on this country, from a disastrous, deceitful war to hurting our middle class and seniors, transcends partisanship. Red state, blue state, big town, small town, we all desperately need to change course.

That’s easier said than done, though. My experience in local government means I know how to get things done. I’ll try my utmost to be at the forefront of imaginative, common-sense progressive solutions on healthcare, education, infrastructure, small businesses and the environment in Congress, and to turn over a new leaf on the culture of rife corruption and greed in Washington. Vote Bill Fiske for honesty, integrity, competence and policy which will help ordinary families up and down our wonderful district.
Campaign staff and volunteers ring voters and knock on doors to make sure that those whom the campaign believes to be considering voting for us actually turn out.
Return to Conway for election night party at the North Conway Grand Hotel.
Pages: [1]  
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies