Would shifting to a more moderate stance on abortion help the GOP?
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
May 04, 2024, 04:36:22 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  Presidential Election Trends (Moderator: 100% pro-life no matter what)
  Would shifting to a more moderate stance on abortion help the GOP?
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Would shifting to a more moderate stance on abortion help the GOP?  (Read 1162 times)
TheReckoning
Junior Chimp
United States

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 27, 2020, 07:03:09 AM »

They stick to overturning Roe, but instead of promoting nationwide abortion bans, they say that the issue of abortion should be decided at the state level.

Pro lifers would still overwhelmingly vote GOP, and people who are pro-choice (but don’t consider abortion to be a major part of political ideology) may be more open to voting GOP. I think it could make the GOP more competitive in places like New England are the Pacific Northwest, especially if they continue on the track of becoming more liberal on gay rights issues.
Skill and Chance
Atlas Icon
« Reply #1 on: December 27, 2020, 11:39:01 AM »

No, not until after SCOTUS gives it back to the states.  Until then, the pro-life platform is clearly a winning issue for them and may have been decisive in 2016.  Once Roe/Casey is overturned, they can work on developing a pro-choice wing in blue states. 
Tekken_Guy
Atlas Icon
United States

P P P
« Reply #2 on: December 27, 2020, 08:06:21 PM »

All it would do is alienate the evangelicals and rurals.
RINO Tom
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 2.45, S: -0.52

« Reply #3 on: December 27, 2020, 08:20:12 PM »

I think future generations of GOP will only accept a racist Bernie Sanders, because trendz.

(Obviously, the GOP should be REASONABLE on abortion, not moderate; a pro-life stance isn’t unpopular, though I’m personally pro-choice.)
Alcibiades
YaBB God
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -6.96

P P
« Reply #4 on: December 27, 2020, 08:27:48 PM »

No, the abortion issue never ceases to amaze in turning out numbers on the right. The GOP actually achieving their professed policy goal of overturning Roe vs. Wade would spell electoral disaster for them, as a huge portion of their base would no longer be motivated to do anything, which is why it will never happen.
Agonized-Statism
Anarcho-Statism
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -9.10, S: -5.83

P
« Reply #5 on: December 27, 2020, 09:57:29 PM »

Not really. There's plenty of issues they could moderate on that would help a lot more without alienating the base- drugs, for one.
EastwoodS

« Reply #6 on: January 03, 2021, 01:42:02 AM »

I think future generations of GOP will only accept a racist Bernie Sanders, because trendz.

(Obviously, the GOP should be REASONABLE on abortion, not moderate; a pro-life stance isn’t unpopular, though I’m personally pro-choice.)
So Boris Johnson? The GOP anwser is turning into the UK conservative party? I'm down with that.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2021, 08:07:11 AM »

No, the abortion issue never ceases to amaze in turning out numbers on the right. The GOP actually achieving their professed policy goal of overturning Roe vs. Wade would spell electoral disaster for them, as a huge portion of their base would no longer be motivated to do anything, which is why it will never happen.
They can easily get religious conservatives to rally for the cause, given they can wrap it in religious wrapping paper.
dw93
DWL
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #8 on: January 09, 2021, 11:19:35 AM »

Short term, no. Long term, yes
Lechasseur
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -0.52, S: 3.13

« Reply #9 on: January 09, 2021, 03:32:43 PM »

Yeah I never understood it either tbh.
EastwoodS

« Reply #10 on: January 09, 2021, 04:03:25 PM »

I mean their religious leaders seem to be taking a hard turn to the left so I’d only expect a pilgrimage to the Democrats over the next decade.
Samof94
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #11 on: January 13, 2021, 07:20:43 AM »

I mean their religious leaders seem to be taking a hard turn to the left so I’d only expect a pilgrimage to the Democrats over the next decade.
A lot of the big mega church pastors who do vote GOP are growing old as well.
Nightcore Nationalist
Okthisisnotepic.

« Reply #12 on: January 13, 2021, 07:54:18 AM »

No (religious turnout would plummet with very few votes to compensate elsewhere), but OTOH the GOP's goal of repealing Roe is a massive tactical error and if it ever happened (I'm doubtful) the backlash would be tremendous.
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies