Describe White Evangelical Democrats who Voted for Biden
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 16, 2024, 01:41:48 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Election Archive
  Election Archive
  2020 U.S. Presidential Election (Moderators: Likely Voter, YE)
  Describe White Evangelical Democrats who Voted for Biden
« previous next »
Pages: [1]
Author Topic: Describe White Evangelical Democrats who Voted for Biden  (Read 2104 times)
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: December 24, 2020, 05:08:49 PM »

I think white Evangelical Democrats who voted for Biden were generally highly educated (Bachelor's if not postgraduate degree) Millennials or Zoomers living in urban centers who have absorbed the broader culture of these metro areas to some degree. As I said about a year ago:

Potentially New York County, NY (Manhattan) given most white Evangelicals there are professional class types as exemplified by Tim Keller's Redeemer Presbyterian Church. Hard to see Trump winning that congregation.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #1 on: December 24, 2020, 05:29:42 PM »

The Salvation Army and Archdioceses know what Jesus said to Pharasees, your reward is in Heaven not here in earth
Kuumo

P P
« Reply #2 on: December 24, 2020, 05:45:29 PM »

Jimmy Carter
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #3 on: December 24, 2020, 05:54:36 PM »

and BRTD.
longtimelurker

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 2.43

« Reply #4 on: December 24, 2020, 06:22:11 PM »
« Edited: December 24, 2020, 07:22:28 PM by longtimelurker »

I refer to them as "Charles M. Schulz voters."  Like Peanuts comic strip creator CMS, they were/are pro women's rights*, pro-environment, pro-civil rights, and were against the Vietnam War and were supporters of the anti-war movement (think of the bird character "Woodstock").

*He helped Billie Jean King in her crusade for Title IX and was on the board of the Women's Sports Foundation.

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2016/08/19/peppermint-patty-peanuts-charles-schulz-female-athletes

Schulz was the first cartoonist to integrate his strip when he introduced the Franklin character in the late 1960's, against his publisher's wishes ("you'll lose readers in the south").  Schulz said that if they didn't like that, he could be signed by any other publisher in the business.  His publisher relented.  Then, when he showed Franklin in a classroom with the other (white) kids, the publisher asked him not to do that again, because it implied that the Peanuts gang went to an integrated school.  Schulz, of course, ignored them (as if the snowman-building, ice hockey-playing Peanuts gang went to school in the segregated south).

Schulz was in favor of prayer in school, though.  He wrote the third comic down after school prayer was declared unconstitutional:

http://yourlifematterstogod.blogspot.com/2011/12/charlie-brown-christmas.html

Bleach Blonde Bad Built Butch Bodies for Biden
Just Passion Through
Atlas Legend
Norway

P P P

« Reply #5 on: December 24, 2020, 06:24:32 PM »

I wouldn't be surprised if either Biden or Trump won Tim Keller's congregation. Either one would be a tough sell to that crowd, and I wouldn't be surprised if most of them were nonvoters.

BRTD-ite evangelical megachurches obviously vote heavily D.
Tiger08
Rookie

« Reply #6 on: December 24, 2020, 06:34:17 PM »

People who prioritize racial issues and progressive stances on healthcare or the economy as the most important public manifestations of their faith rather than the typical social conservative issues. Also, those who think the MAGA movement is tarnishing Evangelical Christianity.

There's a new evangelical group that is socially conservative and somewhat economically and culturally progressive called the AND Campaign. It is predominantly led by Black pastors, but they have white members and white supporters as well. Michael Wear (who is white), Obama's faith based initiative advisor, was (and maybe still is) heavily involved in it.

I've also noticed that the Calvinist wing of Evangelicalism has a lot of NeverTrumpers (or at least Trump skeptics). Maybe some crossed over to vote for Biden.

Peter Wehner, who worked in a few past GOP administrations and now works at a Christian political organization in DC, also voted for Biden IIRC
I spent the winter writing songs about getting better
BRTD
Atlas Prophet
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -6.50, S: -6.67

P P
« Reply #7 on: December 24, 2020, 07:23:23 PM »
« Edited: December 24, 2020, 07:26:34 PM by All eyes have seen the glory of the crushing of the Trump »

Joel Quartuccio
Non Swing Voter
Junior Chimp

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2020, 12:11:02 AM »

The irony is that Trump's lack of personal ethics has now normalized this behavior within the Republican Party.  Pretty self-defeating for the evangelical movement when the hero of your flock is a three times married cheater who obviously could care less about religion and never really promoted it in any way over the last 4 years.
H. Ross Peron
General Mung Beans
Junior Chimp
Korea, Republic of

Political Matrix
E: -6.58, S: -1.91

« Reply #9 on: December 25, 2020, 12:28:26 AM »

The irony is that Trump's lack of personal ethics has now normalized this behavior within the Republican Party.  Pretty self-defeating for the evangelical movement when the hero of your flock is a three times married cheater who obviously could care less about religion and never really promoted it in any way over the last 4 years.

There is obviously some hypocrisy involved especially in contrast to Monicagate, but if you believe abortion is murder (for instance) it makes perfect sense that would support a deeply personally immoral man provided his policies will result in the prohibition of abortion.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #10 on: December 25, 2020, 12:54:17 AM »
« Edited: December 25, 2020, 02:08:37 AM by Kapettobagga »

Considering that there is support for critical race theory within the Southern Baptist Convention, probably a lot of people.
Badger
badger
Atlas Legend
United States

« Reply #11 on: December 25, 2020, 09:00:14 PM »

I refer to them as "Charles M. Schulz voters."  Like Peanuts comic strip creator CMS, they were/are pro women's rights*, pro-environment, pro-civil rights, and were against the Vietnam War and were supporters of the anti-war movement (think of the bird character "Woodstock").

*He helped Billie Jean King in her crusade for Title IX and was on the board of the Women's Sports Foundation.

https://www.si.com/more-sports/2016/08/19/peppermint-patty-peanuts-charles-schulz-female-athletes

Schulz was the first cartoonist to integrate his strip when he introduced the Franklin character in the late 1960's, against his publisher's wishes ("you'll lose readers in the south").  Schulz said that if they didn't like that, he could be signed by any other publisher in the business.  His publisher relented.  Then, when he showed Franklin in a classroom with the other (white) kids, the publisher asked him not to do that again, because it implied that the Peanuts gang went to an integrated school.  Schulz, of course, ignored them (as if the snowman-building, ice hockey-playing Peanuts gang went to school in the segregated south).

Schulz was in favor of prayer in school, though.  He wrote the third comic down after school prayer was declared unconstitutional:

Fwiw, Charles Schulz was a lifelong staunch Republican. Iirc he lent his private jet to the Reagan campaign for campaign rallies.

Also, while raised in a nominaly ELCA home, it would be difficult to describe Schultz's adult Christian views as evangelist.

Both of these things notwithstanding, it is of course an open question what a fundamentally decent person like Schulz would have thought of Donald Trump. It is quite easy to picture him quietly voting for Joe Biden. Or at least the Snoopy fan in me would like to think so. Smiley
longtimelurker

Political Matrix
E: -2.19, S: 2.43

« Reply #12 on: December 26, 2020, 12:27:23 AM »

Fwiw, Charles Schulz was a lifelong staunch Republican. Iirc he lent his private jet to the Reagan campaign for campaign rallies.

Also, while raised in a nominaly ELCA home, it would be difficult to describe Schultz's adult Christian views as evangelist.

Both of these things notwithstanding, it is of course an open question what a fundamentally decent person like Schulz would have thought of Donald Trump. It is quite easy to picture him quietly voting for Joe Biden. Or at least the Snoopy fan in me would like to think so. Smiley

Do you have a cite for this?  All I could find is that he never stated a party preference, and he was friends with presidents of both parties.

https://schulzmuseum.org/wp-content/uploads/2016/04/Mr.-Schulz-Goes-to-Washington.pdf

"...Although Schulz often declined to state a party allegiance..."

And by the 1980's he said this about humself:

"I do not go to church anymore ... I guess you might say I've come around to secular humanism, an obligation I believe all humans have to others and the world we live in."

http://www.metroactive.com/papers/sonoma/12.30.99/schulz2-9952.html

If he were alive today, he would have been a never-Trumper or would have changed parties and voted for Biden, just as I think that documented lifelong Republican (and ordained minister) Fred Rogers would have done.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/politics/mr-rogers-was-apolitical-but-his-wife-thinks-trump-is-pathologically-ill/ar-BB18I3ZJ
Inmate Trump
GWBFan
Atlas Icon

Political Matrix
E: -4.39, S: -7.30

P P P
« Reply #13 on: December 26, 2020, 09:40:03 AM »

I'm a white Christian and a Biden voter.
ProudModerate2
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #14 on: December 26, 2020, 10:55:45 AM »

There is obviously some hypocrisy involved especially in contrast to Monicagate, but if you believe abortion is murder (for instance) it makes perfect sense that would support a deeply personally immoral man provided his policies will result in the prohibition of abortion.

"Some hypocrisy" is an understatement.
MasterJedi
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #15 on: December 26, 2020, 11:28:01 AM »

The few evangelical Christians who actually follow the words of Jesus instead of using his name for self righteousness and hate.
Chunk Yogurt for President!
CELTICEMPIRE
Junior Chimp
Georgia

« Reply #16 on: December 27, 2020, 12:36:26 AM »

The few evangelical Christians who actually follow the words of Jesus instead of using his name for self righteousness and hate.

I don't see how voting Biden over Trump would have anything to do with that.
Kingpoleon
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #17 on: February 13, 2021, 07:57:33 PM »

Considering that there is support for critical race theory within the Southern Baptist Convention, probably a lot of people.
A majority of the SBC voted for it, backed by its President, and its critics still remain unsure of what they’re arguing against.
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

« Reply #18 on: February 13, 2021, 08:06:13 PM »

An evangelical who actually practices what they preach and has genuine purported Christian values.
TML
Junior Chimp

« Reply #19 on: February 14, 2021, 12:34:09 AM »

Someone who is wise enough to not regard everything Trump says as the gospel truth.
Crumpets
Thinking Crumpets Crumpet
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.06, S: -6.52

« Reply #20 on: February 14, 2021, 12:49:58 AM »

I think I know one, although I'm not certain. She's a naturalized immigrant from Europe who seems generally centrist as far as US politics go, with some views on each side of the political spectrum. She thought both Trump and Clinton were awful in 2016, but her dislike of Clinton was very personality-driven and not stuff that could really be applied to Biden.
Sailor Haumea
Rookie
United States

Political Matrix
E: -4.90, S: -6.26

« Reply #21 on: February 14, 2021, 01:59:50 AM »

A Seventh-Day Adventist. They're the only evangelical Christian group that's not a historically black denomination that skews Democratic.
Amenhotep Bakari-Sellers
olawakandi
Atlas Institution
Jamaica
Political Matrix
E: -6.84, S: -0.17

P P P

« Reply #22 on: February 14, 2021, 06:10:28 AM »

WC were turned off by Hillary, but any of candidates in a Covid Environment, with a Biden moderate running mate could have won

Warren or Klobuchar would have won with Bullock
Pages: [1]  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies