Israel General Elections || 23.03.2021
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 28, 2024, 08:01:39 PM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Other Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  International Elections (Moderators: afleitch, Hash)
  Israel General Elections || 23.03.2021
« previous next »
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40
Author Topic: Israel General Elections || 23.03.2021  (Read 69812 times)
Progressive Pessimist
Atlas Superstar
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.71, S: -7.65

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #875 on: June 02, 2021, 05:45:33 PM »

Glad he’s going, for sure, but Bennett doesn’t give me a ton of hope.

My sentiments exactly. Bennett probably won't be much better, but at least he isn't blatantly corrupt...as far as we know.
DL
Canada

« Reply #876 on: June 02, 2021, 07:33:11 PM »

I don’t see Bennett personally as much of an improvement on Bibi, but I think that the only way the
Logjam in Israeli politics gets broken is if Bibi loses power. Just having a government that will be mainly composed of ministers from Labor, Meretz and Yesh Atid will be a huge improvement over the 100% right fanatical government of Netanyahu. So at least now change will be possible
Okay, maybe Mike Johnson is a competent parliamentarian.
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #877 on: June 02, 2021, 07:36:44 PM »

My sentiments exactly. Bennett probably won't be much better, but at least he isn't blatantly corrupt...as far as we know.

Harold Wilson with his Labour Right-dominated Cabinet was known to joke that he was a Bolshevik leading a government of Tsarists. Bennett is going to be the reverse, up to eleven and bass-boosted.
lfromnj
Atlas Politician
Atlas Icon

« Reply #878 on: June 02, 2021, 07:53:21 PM »

Harold Wilson with his Labour Right-dominated Cabinet was known to joke that he was a Bolshevik leading a government of Tsarists. Bennett is going to be the reverse, up to eleven and bass-boosted.

Don't forget Shaked

Shaked is married to a fighter pilot in the Israeli Air Force. They have two children and live in Bavli, Tel Aviv.[9] She is an admirer of Steve Jobs. She was influenced by Ayn Rand, in particular The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.[1] She describes her personality as 'intellectual' and 'systematic'.[8]
Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #879 on: June 02, 2021, 07:56:49 PM »

Don't forget Shaked

Shaked is married to a fighter pilot in the Israeli Air Force. They have two children and live in Bavli, Tel Aviv.[9] She is an admirer of Steve Jobs. She was influenced by Ayn Rand, in particular The Fountainhead and Atlas Shrugged.[1] She describes her personality as 'intellectual' and 'systematic'.[8]

I never forget Ayelet Shaked Purple heart
Babeuf

« Reply #880 on: June 02, 2021, 08:11:37 PM »

Don't forget Shaked

Also Sa’ar and Lieberman.
GeorgiaModerate
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #881 on: June 02, 2021, 08:48:55 PM »

Just wanted to say thanks to our Israeli posters for all the updates during this long saga.  They've been very helpful for those of us who don't know the ins and outs of your politics.
mileslunn
Junior Chimp
Canada

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #882 on: June 02, 2021, 11:15:51 PM »

Any commenters know when details released of agreement as I asked earlier but assumed not yet public as tried googling and couldn't find anything so be curious or is it still unknown when full details released.  I figure could be agreement in principle but still have to iron out details, just agreed on enough to form such coalition.
SInNYC

« Reply #883 on: June 03, 2021, 12:00:52 AM »

Can one of the Israeli posters tell me how strong the PM position is? If not for the agreements they made for the coalition to come together, would the PM be able to do anything he wants or are most policies decided by ministers?
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #884 on: June 03, 2021, 12:40:30 AM »

It appears that there are 61 votes for forcing a Speakership vote this week and then having the new Speaker swear in the government faster; the coalition will be nominating Mickey Levy of Yesh Atid to replace Yariv Levin. Moment of truth here for Nir Orbach, I guess.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #885 on: June 03, 2021, 12:45:31 AM »

61 votes exactly? I suspect the saga will continue.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #886 on: June 03, 2021, 12:57:22 AM »

60. Orbach withdrew his vote. Bennett and his incompetence
Vosem
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: 8.13, S: -6.09

« Reply #887 on: June 03, 2021, 01:11:17 AM »

LOL first crisis of the government and it's not even in power yet

Orbach seems like a...really indecisive guy, yeah? He clearly supports the coalition on some level if he signed on to replacing Levin in the first place, but then he backed off to prove a point to his within-party supporters or something.
Hnv1
YaBB God

« Reply #888 on: June 03, 2021, 01:17:32 AM »

LOL first crisis of the government and it's not even in power yet

Orbach seems like a...really indecisive guy, yeah? He clearly supports the coalition on some level if he signed on to replacing Levin in the first place, but then he backed off to prove a point to his within-party supporters or something.
The signature page looks outdated. Shikli signed it and then crossed off so I suppose it was quite a while ago
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #889 on: June 03, 2021, 07:23:00 AM »

It seems Bennett and Saar signed but there's some problem with another Yamina defector. This time MK Orbach. Bennett is quite a clown, only he can pick a list where half of the people in the top 7 don't believe in his leadership

Yeah. Especially as Orbach was literally his man running for JH leader a few weeks ago (speaking of which, what Ministry do you think Hagit Moshe is getting? Wink)
I'm thinking they'll solve the thing with Orbach. Maybe he gets the Settlement Ministry.
America Needs R'hllor
Parrotguy
Atlas Icon
Israel

Political Matrix
E: -4.13, S: -3.48

« Reply #890 on: June 03, 2021, 07:27:04 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2021, 07:40:39 AM by Parrotguy »

Anyway, really hoping we can get this government sworn in. Would be a huge improvement. Lapid deserves a ton of credit, as do Michaeli, Sa'ar and Lieberman.
jaichind
Atlas Star
United States

Political Matrix
E: 9.03, S: -5.39

« Reply #891 on: June 03, 2021, 07:32:17 AM »

How much of Bennett's calculations here is driven by his assumption that in the medium term a Netanyahu-less Likud will bleed Right wing votes and Yamina should be able to gain a good part of that loss despite short term blowback on being in alliance with Left/Arab forces ?
Oryxslayer
Atlas Icon

« Reply #892 on: June 03, 2021, 09:39:34 AM »
« Edited: June 03, 2021, 01:59:41 PM by Oryxslayer »

How much of Bennett's calculations here is driven by his assumption that in the medium term a Netanyahu-less Likud will bleed Right wing votes and Yamina should be able to gain a good part of that loss despite short term blowback on being in alliance with Left/Arab forces ?

Probably a lot. Likud has no heir comparable to Netanyahu because the politicians elected by the party are all either ladder climbers or sycophants to their master. Losing the head of ones personality cult, control of the political arena, and all political capital at the same time has a very good chance at initiating a electoral decline similar to Labor after it lost the ability to challenge Likud for power. When Yamina was in opposition in 2020 the party polled at times as the second place party with 20ish seats. An anti-Likud conservative message had potential electoral viability.

Of course he's also competing with Lapid, Gantz, Lieberman, any miracle worker who tries to come in to reshape and revive Likud, maybe the Kahanists, and maybe Sa'ar in this regard. All want a piece of the Likud pie if and when it becomes dinner time. That is why decapitating Likud was so important, it breaks the parliamentary gridlock and forces a realignment - to what is presently unknown.
Alben Barkley
KYWildman
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -2.97, S: -5.74

P P
« Reply #893 on: June 03, 2021, 11:26:15 AM »

https://www.nytimes.com/2021/06/02/world/middleeast/netanyahu-bennett-israel-coalition.html

Surprised no one seems to be talking about this here yet.

Basically, looks like a horseshoe coalition of the far-left, far-right, center, AND Islamists(!) all hate Netanyahu so much they are willing to temporarily ally with each other to kick him out of power.

They haven’t actually gone through with it yet, but the deal has been made, and would result in Naftali Bennett (arguably even farther right than Netanyahu) becoming PM for 2 years, followed by the centrist opposition leader Yair Lapid.

The question is can the coalition hold long enough to even form a government (presumably Netanyahu will throw everything he has at it to stop it), let alone for long enough to enact their current plans. Given that it covers basically the entire political spectrum and its members’ ideologies are fundamentally incompatible with each other, that remains to be seen. But at this point I would welcome just about anything to finally get rid of that old crook, and it seems like literally just about every politician in Israel feels the same.
The Mikado
Moderators
Atlas Star

« Reply #894 on: June 03, 2021, 11:36:30 AM »

I'm going back a bit further, but he's a reverse Ramsay MacDonald. And just like MacDonald, leading a "coalition" dominated by the other faction will destroy him eventually.
Mike88
Junior Chimp
Portugal

« Reply #895 on: June 03, 2021, 11:43:34 AM »

It has been discussed in the Israeli election thread: https://talkelections.org/FORUM/index.php?topic=419779.875
Conservatopia
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 0.72, S: 8.60

« Reply #896 on: June 03, 2021, 12:10:31 PM »

Yair Lapid has played a blinder putting this together.  Good on him for letting Bennett go first and also for getting Yamina and Ra'am in the same room.  Even if he never becomes PM he will go down in history I reckon.
AndyHogan14

Political Matrix
E: -4.00, S: -6.61

WWW Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #897 on: June 03, 2021, 01:57:36 PM »
« Edited: June 03, 2021, 03:53:23 PM by AndyHogan14 »

I think Odeh said that there would be some Joint List support for the new government in the confidence vote (if they need it). So, there isn't too much of a risk of there is another Yamina defection.
jaymichaud
United Kingdom

Political Matrix
E: 3.10, S: -7.83

« Reply #898 on: June 03, 2021, 02:11:11 PM »

I made something

Nathan
Moderators
Atlas Superstar

« Reply #899 on: June 03, 2021, 02:16:38 PM »

I'm going to save this for future use.
Pages: 1 ... 31 32 33 34 35 [36] 37 38 39 40  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies