Nassau v. Staten Island
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
April 27, 2024, 01:08:17 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  Presidential Elections - Analysis and Discussion
  U.S. Presidential Election Results (Moderator: Dereich)
  Nassau v. Staten Island
« previous next »
Pages: [1] 2
Author Topic: Nassau v. Staten Island  (Read 6114 times)
revas
Rookie

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« on: July 03, 2006, 08:01:22 PM »

Hello,

Those two counties seems to have similar demographics : consequent Italian-American population (40% in SI, the most Italian American county in the nation), motly white, subruban and in NYC metro area.

So why is Nassau far more to the left than Staten Island ?

2004 :
*Nassau :
Kerry : 52,25%
Bush : 46,63%
*Staten Island :
Kerry : 42,75%
Bush : 56,41%

2000 :
*Nassau :
Gore : 57,93%
Bush : 38,49%
*Staten Island :
Gore : 51,94%
Bush : 44,96%

I think it's because Staten Island underwent massive developpement quite recently (with the Verrazano Bridge), and thus is closer in voting patterns to exubs than to first generation suburbs like Nassau, but i'm not very satisfied by this explanation. Many Staten Island voters come from heavily democratic neighborhoods of Brooklyn, so they should be quite liberal, no ? Is the Catholic Church more influent in Staten Island than in Nassau ?

Moreover, Democrats are stronger in registration in Staten Island (40% to 30% for Republicans) than in Nassau. It doesn't make sense to me...
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix
E: 1.88, S: 1.59

« Reply #1 on: July 03, 2006, 09:03:00 PM »

The Staten Island voters have been repelled by the Democratic policies they lived under in Brooklyn.

Nassau has a lot more limousine liberals who have enough money to escape the effects of the policies they advocate for others.
Alcon
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #2 on: July 03, 2006, 09:41:03 PM »

I know we've had a few topics about this; it's a surprising swing, and most believe it has in part to do with the 9/11 effect (suburban voters who work in threatened areas).  It's not that 2004 was an amazing year for Republicans; it's that 2000 was an amazing year for Democrats.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #3 on: July 04, 2006, 02:46:08 AM »

I doubt thats it,  2000 was strong for the Dems, and 04 was strong for the GOP, but I would say 04 type result is much less likely to happen than the 00 result.  keep in mind during the 90's Long Island in particular saw strong Democratic swings, and as it continued the 00 result came about.  The local government is also becoming more & more Democratc, both Nassau and Suffolk Counties have Democratic County Executives,,Democratic DA's, Democratic Legislatures.  4 of 5 Long Island Congressman are Democrats and the only one with a somewhat competitive race this year is the lone Republican

Nassau being more Democratic is not something that is new either

Nassau 1996
Clinton 55.74%
Dole 36.14%
Perot 6.63%

Staten Island 1992
Clinton 50.53%
Dole 40.78%
Perot 7.01%

Nassau 1992
Clinton 46.38%
Bush 40.52%
Perot 12.65%

Staten island 1992
Clinton 38.51%
Bush 47.85%
Perot 13.32%

I live in Nassau County, part of it is probably Nassau's large Jewish population. Like Staten island, Nassau is amjority Catholic with a very large Italian population, but thier is a fairly large Jewish population, especially in southwest Nassau as well as east Central Nassau.   Also as a whole I would say in Nassau County catholics are a bit more socially liberal than Staten island Catholics.  I disagree with his explanation, but Dazzleman has a point about the wealth factor in Nassau County.  Much of the north shore of the county is wealthy (with some exceptions such as Glen Cove which is fairly middle class, and heavily Democratic).  And for the most part other than Manhasset which is a Republican area, much of the wealthy north hsore ssuch as Great neck, Roslyn, Port Washington, are quite Democratic.  The extremely wealthy areas of Muttontown, matinecock and Sands Point are more of politcally neutral, but tend to lean towards the Dems.  these areas for the most part are very socially liberal and other than a few spots here & there much of the county is socially liberals, from the wealthy areas along the north shore, to the middle class areas such as farmingdale and East Meadow to the poorer areas such as Roosevelt, &Hempstead

As a whole I would rate Staten Island as moderate on both economic & social fronts, Nassau County is economically moderate as well, but it is socially liberal.

regarding the whole rgisytayion question.  Part of it might have to do with the dominance of the NYC Democratic Party and some in Staten island may feel the only way the could have a say is to be registered as a Democrat (especially those who originally came from other parts of the city.

You may have some of those epscially religious conservative who use to allign themselves with the Democrats, but have voted mostly Republican (though that doesn't really explain the Democratic swing in voting minus 04.  As dazzleman stated some could amay simply not like the NYC Dem Party.

In nassau County, you have quite a bit of the Lincolin Chafee type Republicans.  Those who are still regsitered as Republican, but feel like the GOP has left them and vote Democratic.  Republicans in Nassau are much more likely to cross party lines than Dems are and Independents tend to vote more inf avor of Dems than republicans.

Registration gains for Dems have been much larger for Dems in Nassau than in Staten island

Staten island

1996  Dem 46.15%, GOP 31.28%, 3rd/ Ind 22.57%  (Dem +14.87)
2001  Dem 45.61%, GOP 30.90%, 3rd/INd 23.49%  (Dem +14.71)
2006 Dem 44.69%, GOP 30.74%, 3rd/ind 24.57  (dem + 13.95)

Nassau
1996 Dem 31.33%, GOP, 44.02%, 3rd/Ind 24.65% (GOP + 12.69)
2001 Dem 33.21%, Gop, 42.23%, 3rd Ind 24.56 (GOP + 9.02)
2006 Dem 35.52%, GOP 39.00%, 3rd/ Ind 25.48% (GOP 3.48%)
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #4 on: July 08, 2006, 10:51:45 AM »

The two counties aren't that similer...

Renting: SI 36.2%, N 19.7%
With bachelor's degree or higher: SI 23.2%, N 35.4%
Italian: SI 37.7%, N 23.9%
Median HH Income: SI $55,039 N $72,030
With Median HH Income under $35,000: SI 31.0%, N 21.4%
With Median HH Income over $100,000: SI 19.3%, N 32.3%
Employed in Managerial/Professional occupations: SI 35.0%, N 41.0%
Employed in Blue Collar/Service occupations: SI 34.6, N 28.5%
Employed in Public Sector occupations: SI 22.3%, N 17.1%
revas
Rookie

« Reply #5 on: July 08, 2006, 03:33:48 PM »

Well, SI voters are more likely to rent their home, more likely to have low income and more likely to work in the public sector than Nassau voters, but anyway, they are more likely to be Republican voters....

I wonder if the Italian American Catholic vote can explain that, as SI has a bigger percentage of Italian Americans than Nassau, and is more conservative on social issues. I can't see another reason to explain Si Republican vote in federal elections.

Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #6 on: July 08, 2006, 10:20:12 PM »

Well, SI voters are more likely to rent their home, more likely to have low income and more likely to work in the public sector than Nassau voters, but anyway, they are more likely to be Republican voters....

I wonder if the Italian American Catholic vote can explain that, as SI has a bigger percentage of Italian Americans than Nassau, and is more conservative on social issues. I can't see another reason to explain Si Republican vote in federal elections.

Staten island did vote Democratic in 96 & 00, and more than likely will vote Dem in 08, 04 was due to the 9/11 effect.   The larger Italian American Catholic Vote in Staten Island may explain it a bit, but keep in mind Nassau County,, while not as Italian as Staten Island has one of he heaviest concentration of Italian Americans and catholics in the entire U.S and itt is quite socially liberal
revas
Rookie

« Reply #7 on: July 08, 2006, 10:30:59 PM »

Staten island did vote Democratic in 96 & 00, and more than likely will vote Dem in 08, 04 was due to the 9/11 effect.   The larger Italian American Catholic Vote in Staten Island may explain it a bit, but keep in mind Nassau County,, while not as Italian as Staten Island has one of he heaviest concentration of Italian Americans and catholics in the entire U.S and itt is quite socially liberal

I understand that SI's vote for Bush in '04 was due to the 9/11 effect, but what I don't understand is why it votes anyway less democratic than Nassau. I think Nassau has also a bigger Jewish population, who tend to vote heavily democratic, but is it enough to explain the gap between these two countries ?
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #8 on: July 08, 2006, 10:46:13 PM »

I understand that SI's vote for Bush in '04 was due to the 9/11 effect, but what I don't understand is why it votes anyway less democratic than Nassau. I think Nassau has also a bigger Jewish population, who tend to vote heavily democratic, but is it enough to explain the gap between these two countries ?

Both Staten island and Nassau County are more Italian than the post from above shows.  According to Wikipedia which credits the Census Bureau 44.5% of Staten Island residents have Italian heritage, 27.5% of those in Nassau (myself being one of them). 

One possibility is the Catholic church may have more influence in Staten Island than in Nassau, as far Catholics adheering to the catholic viewpoints on most issues.  catholics iN Nassau County tend to disagree with the Church on many social issues, especially on abortion and gay rights, Catholic in Staten island may be closer to the church's official viewpoints on this topic.  Sot hat could explaain some of it, but its not like Staten island is a hot bed of Social Conservatism, far from it.  Its pretty much socially moderate, Nassau County just tends to be socailly liberal. 
minionofmidas
Lewis Trondheim
Atlas Institution
India

« Reply #9 on: July 09, 2006, 05:57:06 AM »

Percentage difference may be due to different standards of reckoning there...
% of total population reporting Italian ancestry
% of total ancestries reported (but I think the Census bureau ignores anything past the third entry)
% reporting Italian ancestry of those persons not leaving the question blank
Filuwaúrdjan
Realpolitik
Atlas Institution
United Kingdom

« Reply #10 on: July 09, 2006, 07:58:58 AM »

% of total ancestries reported (but I think the Census bureau ignores anything past the third entry)

The figures posted were of the % of the population who claimed Italian ancestory (2000 Census).
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #11 on: July 09, 2006, 10:34:01 PM »

The figures posted were of the % of the population who claimed Italian ancestory (2000 Census).

my guess would be that what came from wikipedia went further down the line in anscestory.  Looking at fatfinder you see population in Nassau County of 1.334 mil population, but 1.525 mil ancestories.  Which generally seems like they didn't go that far down the line regarding sncestories.  And their are many in Nassau county like myself (italian, Irish, german) who have several ancestories (Sp)
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #12 on: July 14, 2006, 05:09:28 PM »

Surprisingly, nobody mentions the elephant in the room: the collapse of the long-standing Republican dominance of Nassau at the local level.

A dosen years ago, or a bit more, when I lived there, Nassau was the Republican stronghold in NY.  It was a classic local political machine, corrupt, spendthrift and in cahoots with the public sector unions (a unionised Nassau Community College professor at the time would get more than a professor in all but a handful private sector research universities in the country), regularly able to "deliver the vote". It was the Al D'Amato country. Of course, the end of it was a huge debacle, both governmental, financial and political, damning the Republican party in the eyes of the locals and destroying its vote mobilization capacity.

Of course, SI is (and was) also locally dominated by the Republicans. But, being part of NYC, it doesn't have much of self-government (with all due respect to the old guy Molinari, who was the borough president and local Republican czar back then, a borrough president is only responsible for an occasional ribbon cutting ceremony, so dedicating oneself to party-building is largely harmless). They do elect a couple members of the city council, but, as Republicans in NYC, these are usually there only for decoration, like the wallpaper. Since lack of power means there is no potential for a screw-up, the party remains untainted. In fact, SI Republicanness serves to highlight its distinction from the rest of the city - if you wish, it is a local identity thing.

As for the more working-class nature of SI, compared with the relatively white-collar LI, that is also a plausible explanatory variable. In NY, the white blue-collar types are, probably, among the most socially conservative people around. Wealthier, better educated, more middle-class - among the whites in NY these are all the things that will increase the probability of voting Dem, not Rep.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #13 on: July 14, 2006, 09:32:59 PM »

AG

You bring up a good point about the collapse of the local GOP.  I mentioned it in another post (in the Presidential forum) about how Nassau Co & Long Island in general is trending Dem in all areas.

However, keep in mind that while the local GOP collapse has played a role, the tide on the national level turned prior to the collapse of the local GOP.

While things were clearly going downhill on the local level for the GOP throughout the 90's things really didn't boil over till the lat 90's, Gullotta's problems started shortly after starting his 3rd term in 98, and quickly went downhill fast.  Dems took control of the legislature following the 99 elections.  Suozzi won HUGE in an open seat race for County Exec in 01, the gains in Suffolk followed a couple years later, with the Crookhaven GOP  ahem Brookhaven GOP taking a major hit last year and the Islip GOP poised for a major hit this year, the former supervisor McGowen just got off of a 90 day jail sentence and investigations are still going on (though that is suffolk, not Nassau)

The switch on the National level really started before all this mess on the local level.  After going Dem once since 1916 (LBJ's 64 landslide) Clinton won Nassau in 92, and narrowly lost Suffolk.  Bu 96 both Nassau & Suffolk went to Clinton by well into the double digits, Clinton almost won Nassau by 20 points (19.6).

So while the corruptness and the utter collapse of the local GOP has impacted the GOP's problems on Long Island, their were some massive Democratic swings before everything on the lcoal level gme to a head.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #14 on: July 15, 2006, 06:49:47 AM »

The local GOP in Nassau County was absolutely horrendous, a wolf in sheep's clothing.  It was well deserving of its collapse.

I'm not sure it has that much to do with the trend toward the Democrats in national elections, though.  I think that national elections turn on different issues than local elections, and people vote differently in them.  Even I will vote Democratic in local elections.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #15 on: July 15, 2006, 04:17:31 PM »

The local GOP in Nassau County was absolutely horrendous, a wolf in sheep's clothing.  It was well deserving of its collapse.

I'm not sure it has that much to do with the trend toward the Democrats in national elections, though.  I think that national elections turn on different issues than local elections, and people vote differently in them.  Even I will vote Democratic in local elections.

A local party machine is an important thing, even in a national election. It might not affect most voters, but on the margin it is capable to do things. Get out the vote and vote registration drives, for one, are much easier done if the local party is strong.  A swing of a few percentage points is all we are talking about here.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #16 on: July 15, 2006, 04:44:12 PM »

A local party machine is an important thing, even in a national election. It might not affect most voters, but on the margin it is capable to do things. Get out the vote and vote registration drives, for one, are much easier done if the local party is strong.  A swing of a few percentage points is all we are talking about here.

That's true.  But I think the swing has been more than a few percentage points.  I agree that the local party can make some difference, but I don't think it can explain the shift that has taken place in Nassau.
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #17 on: July 15, 2006, 07:08:20 PM »

I agree that the local party can make some difference, but I don't think it can explain the shift that has taken place in Nassau.

But, probaly, enough to account for much of a few percentage points that distinguish Staten Island (where the party organization is intact) and Nassau.
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #18 on: July 15, 2006, 07:59:05 PM »

I agree that the local party can make some difference, but I don't think it can explain the shift that has taken place in Nassau.

But, probaly, enough to account for much of a few percentage points that distinguish Staten Island (where the party organization is intact) and Nassau.

I'm sure it makes a difference.  But there are major demographic differences between Staten Island and Nassau that I'm sure affect it too.
© tweed
Miamiu1027
Atlas Superstar
United States

« Reply #19 on: July 15, 2006, 08:56:02 PM »

I'm sure it makes a difference.  But there are major demographic differences between Staten Island and Nassau that I'm sure affect it too.

The demographics of Nassau and Staten Island as of 2000 closely mirror each other, actually: (round to tenths of percentages)

Staten Island: 77.6% white, 9.7% black, 12.1% hispanic
Nassau: 79.3% white, 10.1% black, 10.0% hispanic
dazzleman
Atlas Icon
Political Matrix

« Reply #20 on: July 15, 2006, 09:46:27 PM »

The demographics of Nassau and Staten Island as of 2000 closely mirror each other, actually: (round to tenths of percentages)

I was  talking more about economic status.  Staten Island is largely blue collar, while Nassau leans much in the direction of being white collar.
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #21 on: July 15, 2006, 11:38:54 PM »

Possible, but even before the local GOP collapse in Nassu, Staten island was more GOP friendly in National elections.

Nassau
Bush 56.96%, Dukakis 42.22%

Staten Island
Bush 61.46%, Dukakis 37.95%

In 84 Nassau went to reagan by slightly under 24, Staten island by a little over 30.

In Nixon's 72 landsldie, he took Staten Island by almost double, what he took Nasau by (48-26).

1952 was the last time Nassau was more Republican than Staten Island in a Presidential election. So this isn't a new thing.  It might just seem that way because of how strong to the Dems Nassau County is now on the National level (once you take out the 9/11 04 impact) 
ag
Atlas Icon

« Reply #22 on: July 16, 2006, 04:19:54 PM »

I was  talking more about economic status.  Staten Island is largely blue collar, while Nassau leans much in the direction of being white collar.

No doubt of that, and no doubt it explains some of the difference, as I did mention in my very first post.
TeePee4Prez
Flyers2004
Atlas Icon

« Reply #23 on: July 16, 2006, 04:53:38 PM »
« Edited: July 16, 2006, 05:53:10 PM by FlyersFan26 »

Possible, but even before the local GOP collapse in Nassu, Staten island was more GOP friendly in National elections.

Nassau

Staten Island

In 84 Nassau went to reagan by slightly under 24, Staten island by a little over 30.

In Nixon's 72 landsldie, he took Staten Island by almost double, what he took Nasau by (48-26).

1952 was the last time Nassau was more Republican than Staten Island in a Presidential election. So this isn't a new thing.  It might just seem that way because of how strong to the Dems Nassau County is now on the National level (once you take out the 9/11 04 impact) 

This seems like a very similar analogy to Northeast Philly as opposed to Montgomery and Bucks Counties.  I think Smash has a point with regards to the percent of the Jewish populations having an effect being moreso in Montgomery and Bucks than NE Philly.  I think the difference between NE Philly and Staten Island is NE Philly isn't as wealthy and has a higher Jewish population per capita than Staten Island.  That's why we voted for Kerry.  I did glance at some of the wards/divisions here and it seemed the ones that were both wealthier AND Catholic such as Fox Chase, Crestmont Farms, Lexington and Winchester Parks, and parts of Somerton went for Bush.  More populist, working class Catholic neighborhoods such as Bridesburg and Mayfair went marginally for Kerry, but are represented in the State House by more economically liberal, socially conservative Republicans in John Perzel and John Taylor who are well liked locally.  The wealthier Jewish areas such as Bustleton and parts of Somerton went for Kerry and most people I know there are very pro-choice.  Besides abortion, I also think there's a bit of an "Archie Bunker" element in places like Staten Island and NE Philly.  I also can see Smash's point on Catholics from the suburbs- they are more socially liberal than the city ones.  They are more sexually permissive and there is a smaller "Archie Bunker" element in those areas, but at the same time I find some to be sickeningly liberal on issues such as Section 8 and the "Free Mumia" thing.  There are socially moderate and liberal Catholics in NE Philly and I'm sure Staten Island.  I think this may also be due to the average age being higher in NE Philly/Staten Island as opposed to Bucks/Montgomery and Nassau.  Also to be considered is NE Philly has a large white cop population and from what I heard Staten Island does as well.   
Smash255
Atlas Icon

« Reply #24 on: July 16, 2006, 09:18:47 PM »

Nassau

Staten Island

This seems like a very similar analogy to Northeast Philly as opposed to Montgomery and Bucks Counties.  I think Smash has a point with regards to the percent of the Jewish populations having an effect being moreso in Montgomery and Bucks than NE Philly.  I think the difference between NE Philly and Staten Island is NE Philly isn't as wealthy and has a higher Jewish population per capita than Staten Island.  That's why we voted for Kerry.  I did glance at some of the wards/divisions here and it seemed the ones that were both wealthier AND Catholic such as Fox Chase, Crestmont Farms, Lexington and Winchester Parks, and parts of Somerton went for Bush.  More populist, working class Catholic neighborhoods such as Bridesburg and Mayfair went marginally for Kerry, but are represented in the State House by more economically liberal, socially conservative Republicans in John Perzel and John Taylor who are well liked locally.  The wealthier Jewish areas such as Bustleton and parts of Somerton went for Kerry and most people I know there are very pro-choice.  Besides abortion, I also think there's a bit of an "Archie Bunker" element in places like Staten Island and NE Philly.  I also can see Smash's point on Catholics from the suburbs- they are more socially liberal than the city ones.  They are more sexually permissive and there is a smaller "Archie Bunker" element in those areas, but at the same time I find some to be sickeningly liberal on issues such as Section 8 and the "Free Mumia" thing.  There are socially moderate and liberal Catholics in NE Philly and I'm sure Staten Island.  I think this may also be due to the average age being higher in NE Philly/Staten Island as opposed to Bucks/Montgomery and Nassau.  Also to be considered is NE Philly has a large white cop population and from what I heard Staten Island does as well.   

Can't speak on the NE Philly/ Montco median age differences, but Nassau actually has a higher median age than Staten island according to the 2000 Census (38.7- 36.2).

In regards to comparing NE Philly & Staten island keep in mind that Staten Island voted much more republican in 04 due to the 9/11 impact, which had much more of a GOP influence in Staten island than NE Philly.  With the 9/11 impact out of the difference we will se in 08 will be smaller between Staten Island & NE Philly.
Pages: [1] 2  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies