AOC snubbed for Energy and Commerce, committee spot goes to Kathleen Rice instead
       |           

Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
Did you miss your activation email?
June 26, 2024, 05:25:05 AM
News: Election Simulator 2.0 Released. Senate/Gubernatorial maps, proportional electoral votes, and more - Read more

Talk Elections
  General Politics
  U.S. General Discussion (Moderators: The Dowager Mod, Chancellor Tanterterg)
  AOC snubbed for Energy and Commerce, committee spot goes to Kathleen Rice instead
« previous next »
Pages: 1 [2] 3
Author Topic: AOC snubbed for Energy and Commerce, committee spot goes to Kathleen Rice instead  (Read 2628 times)
T'Chenka
King TChenka
Atlas Icon
Canada

Show only this user's posts in this thread
« Reply #25 on: December 18, 2020, 06:33:11 PM »

Disappointing, but honestly this was expected.
The Free North
CTRattlesnake
YaBB God
United States

« Reply #26 on: December 18, 2020, 07:13:56 PM »

Establishment Dems are not going to hand power willingly over to progressives. They just aren't.
Call them out and primary them. That's all that will do anything.

Why would they? Progressive dems aren't a majority of the party and progressive candidates rarely win.
DrScholl
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -5.55, S: -3.30

« Reply #27 on: December 18, 2020, 07:32:18 PM »

There's a lot of talk here about how AOC "isn't a team player," and I'd like some clarification on that. What has she not been a team player about, exactly?

Not paying campaign dues is one thing. She has plenty of campaign cash to spare in a safe district and if swing district Democrats chip in it's only fair if safe seat Democrats pay too.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #28 on: December 18, 2020, 07:44:25 PM »

There's a lot of talk here about how AOC "isn't a team player," and I'd like some clarification on that. What has she not been a team player about, exactly?

Not paying campaign dues is one thing. She has plenty of campaign cash to spare in a safe district and if swing district Democrats chip in it's only fair if safe seat Democrats pay too.

That’s a big one for sure.  Also, she needs to stop throwing a Twitter tantrum whenever someone like Spanberger or Lamb says Democrats need better messaging (not even criticizing her policies, just arguing that we need better messaging).  Lastly, demanding that Schumer and Pelosi step down from leadership probably didn’t win her any friends.  
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #29 on: December 18, 2020, 08:06:43 PM »

If I recall correctly, wasn't this because the DCCC blacklisted progressive organizations who were targeting D incumbents? I'm not saying that it's unreasonable that the DCCC do that but it's also not unreasonable for a congresswoman who recently unseated an incumbent to not give to the DCCC. After all, it's not her job to support any Democratic incumbent over any progressive challenger. Also, as far as I can tell, she still does give substantial amounts to other house races.

Also, she needs to stop throwing a Twitter tantrum whenever someone like Spanberger or Lamb says Democrats need better messaging (not even criticizing her policies, just arguing that we need better messaging).  Lastly, demanding that Schumer and Pelosi step down from leadership probably didn’t win her any friends. 

Lamb definitely did criticize her policies if you read the interview he did with NYT. Also, I feel like that's sort of a misrepresentation of what AOC said; it wasn't actually that Pelosi and Schumer need to go, it's that when they do go the Democrats have no one to take their place:

Quote from:  Rep. Ocasio-Cortez
I do think that we need new leadership in the Democratic Party … the internal dynamics of the House has made it such that there's very little option for succession … even conservative members of the party who think Nancy Pelosi is far too liberal for them don't necessarily have any viable alternatives, which is why, whenever there's a challenge, it kind of collapses, and that is, I think, the result of many years of power being concentrated in leadership with a lack of real grooming of a next generation of leadership …

Doesn't even seem that radical to me, although to be fair headlines really played up the "AOC SAYS PELOSI AND SCHUMER MUST GO" narrative for clicks. Worth noting, though, that Spanberger actually agreed with this sentiment, and, again, Rice didn't even vote for Pelosi for speaker and was rewarded with a seat in a powerful committee.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #30 on: December 18, 2020, 08:28:24 PM »

If I recall correctly, wasn't this because the DCCC blacklisted progressive organizations who were targeting D incumbents? I'm not saying that it's unreasonable that the DCCC do that but it's also not unreasonable for a congresswoman who recently unseated an incumbent to not give to the DCCC. After all, it's not her job to support any Democratic incumbent over any progressive challenger. Also, as far as I can tell, she still does give substantial amounts to other house races.

Also, she needs to stop throwing a Twitter tantrum whenever someone like Spanberger or Lamb says Democrats need better messaging (not even criticizing her policies, just arguing that we need better messaging).  Lastly, demanding that Schumer and Pelosi step down from leadership probably didn’t win her any friends.  

Lamb definitely did criticize her policies if you read the interview he did with NYT. Also, I feel like that's sort of a misrepresentation of what AOC said; it wasn't actually that Pelosi and Schumer need to go, it's that when they do go the Democrats have no one to take their place:

Quote from:  Rep. Ocasio-Cortez
I do think that we need new leadership in the Democratic Party … the internal dynamics of the House has made it such that there's very little option for succession … even conservative members of the party who think Nancy Pelosi is far too liberal for them don't necessarily have any viable alternatives, which is why, whenever there's a challenge, it kind of collapses, and that is, I think, the result of many years of power being concentrated in leadership with a lack of real grooming of a next generation of leadership …

Doesn't even seem that radical to me, although to be fair headlines really played up the "AOC SAYS PELOSI AND SCHUMER MUST GO" narrative for clicks. Worth noting, though, that Spanberger actually agreed with this sentiment, and, again, Rice didn't even vote for Pelosi for speaker and was rewarded with a seat in a powerful committee.

I thought Lamb just said her messaging was a good fit for her district, but wouldn’t play well in his.  I could be misremembering though and she did kinda dance on his grave a bit when it looked like he might lose reelection.  

Btw, the DCCC also blacklisted groups and consultants who worked to primary Omar and Tlaib.  

What she said about Pelosi seems reasonable though, so that controversy may’ve just been clickbait run amuck.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix
E: -7.38, S: -8.36

« Reply #31 on: December 18, 2020, 08:29:31 PM »

Pelosi is a hypocrite who endorsed Joe Kennedy's primary challenge of Markey.
Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #32 on: December 18, 2020, 08:58:40 PM »

Lol at the TYT hack whining about retaliation.  Of course it’s retaliation, how do these people think politics works?  If you attempt to primary someone, then obviously they’re gonna retaliate when they have a chance.  I say that as someone who thinks Culler is awful and wanted Jessica Cisneros to win.  

See, this would be fine if the caucus didn't appoint one of her opponents to the seat.

Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #33 on: December 18, 2020, 09:57:47 PM »

Lol at the TYT hack whining about retaliation.  Of course it’s retaliation, how do these people think politics works?  If you attempt to primary someone, then obviously they’re gonna retaliate when they have a chance.  I say that as someone who thinks Culler is awful and wanted Jessica Cisneros to win.  

See, this would be fine if the caucus didn't appoint one of her opponents to the seat.

Yeah, but IIRC Rice has gotten back on the reservation since then (and two years ago Pelosi blocked Rice from getting a seat on Judiciary which Rice wanted very badly).  If AOC is a team player for the next two years, I’m sure she’ll be rewarded with a good committee slot.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #34 on: December 18, 2020, 10:26:18 PM »

Yeah, but IIRC Rice has gotten back on the reservation since then (and two years ago Pelosi blocked Rice from getting a seat on Judiciary which Rice wanted very badly).  If AOC is a team player for the next two years, I’m sure she’ll be rewarded with a good committee slot.

We need fewer team players and more people willing to stand up to the establishment.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix
E: -3.48, S: -3.30

« Reply #35 on: December 18, 2020, 10:36:27 PM »

We need fewer team players and more people willing to stand up to the establishment.

And just how far has that attitude gotten your wing of the party? Let's compare: when Bernie decided to be a team player, he got concrete policy commitments from Biden & progressives a seat at the table in the incoming administration, whereas AOC wasn't a team player with regards to the Democratic caucus & so got badly beaten for a crucial committee spot.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #36 on: December 18, 2020, 10:58:47 PM »

And just how far has that attitude gotten your wing of the party? Let's compare: when Bernie decided to be a team player, he got concrete policy commitments from Biden & progressives a seat at the table in the incoming administration, whereas AOC wasn't a team player with regards to the Democratic caucus & so got badly beaten for a crucial committee spot.

Bernie didn't get sh**t from Biden.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #37 on: December 18, 2020, 11:08:10 PM »

lol k
LtNOWIS

« Reply #38 on: December 18, 2020, 11:13:30 PM »

Also, I don't know very much about South Texas's political geography; if Cuellar's seat gets safer, would that give him more or fewer potential Cisneros voters?
Good question. A lot of our conventional wisdom about this matter was upended last month.

Pelosi is a hypocrite who endorsed Joe Kennedy's primary challenge of Markey.
It's not hypocrisy to protect your caucus when they're on defense, and support them when they go on offense. Markey isn't a House member and Pelosi owes him nothing.
Clarko95 📚💰📈
Clarko95
YaBB God
Sweden

Political Matrix
E: -5.61, S: -1.96

« Reply #39 on: December 18, 2020, 11:21:42 PM »

Meanwhile, Cori Bush played her cards right, built connections, and now has a seat on the House Judiciary Committee. Maybe Ocasio-Cortez and all the other "progressives" who want to burn bridges from the get-go and then play the victim card when SURPRISE! people react poorly, should take some notes.
GALeftist
sansymcsansface
YaBB God

Political Matrix
E: -7.29, S: -9.48

P
« Reply #40 on: December 18, 2020, 11:27:22 PM »

Again, I really think people are blowing the "team player" thing way out of proportion. AOC isn't trying to burn the House (heh) down, she supported a primary challenge to a notoriously right wing pro-life Democrat and chose to fund other candidates herself instead of through the DCCC. I really don't think she's the enemy of the Democratic Party y'all think she is.
brucejoel99
Atlas Star
Ukraine

Political Matrix

« Reply #41 on: December 18, 2020, 11:30:44 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2020, 11:34:09 PM by brucejoel99 »

Again, I really think people are blowing the "team player" thing way out of proportion. AOC isn't trying to burn the House (heh) down, she supported a primary challenge to a notoriously right wing pro-life Democrat and chose to fund other candidates herself instead of through the DCCC. I really don't think she's the enemy of the Democratic Party y'all think she is.

You can't criticize the people ITT for apparently "blowing [something] way out of proportion" before then immediately saying that the people who do so must think she's the enemy of the party. That's blowing things way out of proportion, given that - to my eye - this thread is simply full of constructive criticism more than anything else. Nobody is saying (& - as a bona fide AOC fan - I don't think anybody is even remotely implying) that she's an enemy of the Democratic Party lol, but she's evidently rubbing enough important Democrats the wrong way, & that's not conducive to getting committee seats or furthering her policy goals.
Chancellor Tanterterg
Mr. X
Atlas Star
United States

« Reply #42 on: December 18, 2020, 11:39:11 PM »

Meanwhile, Cori Bush played her cards right, built connections, and now has a seat on the House Judiciary Committee. Maybe Ocasio-Cortez and all the other "progressives" who want to burn bridges from the get-go and then play the victim card when SURPRISE! people react poorly, should take some notes.

This x 100
Buffalo Mayor Young Kim
LVScreenssuck

« Reply #43 on: December 18, 2020, 11:45:19 PM »
« Edited: December 18, 2020, 11:58:03 PM by LVScreenssuck »

I’m not upset about AOC not getting the chairmanship. I am upset about Kathleen Rice getting it.

I am absolutely furious that an Energy and Commerce seat went to a woman who didn’t get an AFL-CIO endorsement in her general.

And Henry ‘I’m gonna take Koch money and fundraise for Republicans, but if you support a primary challenge to a Democrat I will kill you’ Cuellar can suck just every dick.
Devout Centrist
Atlas Icon
United States

Political Matrix
E: -99.99, S: -99.99

P P
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2020, 12:23:35 AM »

Really, anything else aside, AOC and her friends (including Sanders) are treated ridiculously well by their colleagues given that they actively try to put them out of work.  
After the absolute disaster that happened this year, their colleagues deserve no such such protection. In fact, I'd go so far as to say they should seek employment elsewhere!
Born to Slay. Forced to Work.
leecannon
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -6.45, S: -6.78

« Reply #45 on: December 19, 2020, 12:30:30 AM »

See, I’m torn about AOC and her position in congress. On one hand I do like her as an outsider who can call the party on their sh**t when they need it. But on the other hand I wonder if that’s damaging to the progressive movement and her own mental psyche (she’s shown she’s not someone who wants to constantly be on the offense). I also would like to see her be more influential and effective, but maybe she just works best as an agitator/watchdog
Zaybay
Junior Chimp
United States

Political Matrix
E: -7.25, S: -6.50

« Reply #46 on: December 19, 2020, 01:03:19 AM »
« Edited: December 19, 2020, 02:37:19 AM by Zaybay »

Something that no one has mentioned but could be playing a large part in this: Pelosi needs Rice's vote. It's extremely possible that there was a deal cut behind-the-scenes between Pelosi and Rice where she would be supported behind the scenes for a good position in exchange for her vote. It is, frankly, odd, how Pelosi didn't endorse AOC, who's at the worst a nominal ally, over Rice, who's been openly antagonistic, especially since this was the only position where Pelosi chose not to endorse either candidate.

Edit: For anyone who does not know, Rice is a huge critic of Pelosi and has voted against her becoming speaker. With such a narrow majority, Rice's vote is crucial.

Anti Democrat Democrat Club
SawxDem
Atlas Icon
United States

« Reply #47 on: December 19, 2020, 02:35:35 AM »

Something that no one has mentioned but could be playing a large part in this: Pelosi needs Rice's vote. It's extremely possible that there was a deal cut behind-the-scenes between Pelosi and Rice where she would be supported behind the scenes for a good position in exchange for her vote. It is, frankly, odd, how Pelosi didn't endorse AOC, who's at the worst a nominal ally, over Rice, who's been openly antagonistic, especially since this was the only position where Pelosi chose not to endorse either candidate.

Would not be surprised if this was the case, to be honest. AOC and Pelosi are allies of convenience, but at least they're a solid vote. For lack of a better word, AOC wants to see new leadership, but the "successors" are the greater evil.

While House leadership is more covertly and subtlely against the left, Jeffries is very overtly against the left wing of the caucus to the point where he abused his position to attack them. Clark is fine, but that doesn't even get into their candidates for Whip, which include Cuellar himself and DWS.

Rice has more negotiating power.
○∙◄☻¥tπ[╪AV┼cVê└
jfern
Atlas Institution

Political Matrix

« Reply #48 on: December 19, 2020, 03:03:04 AM »

lol k

I mean he could have actually gone after Biden's record and become President himself, but instead we have the usual neoliberal hawks in the postiions that matter like State, Defense, and Treasury.
President Johnson
Atlas Star
Germany

Political Matrix
E: -3.23, S: -4.70

« Reply #49 on: December 19, 2020, 05:19:22 AM »

Obviously agree with Clarko95 and brucejoel.

What's wrong with Kathleen Rice? Seems like a genric Democrat to me? Or is there something bad about her?
Pages: 1 [2] 3  
« previous next »
Jump to:  

Login with username, password and session length

Terms of Service - DMCA Agent and Policy - Privacy Policy and Cookies